David Wilkerson's "The Vision"

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
7 Be patient therefore, brethren, unto the coming of the Lord. Behold, the husbandman waits for the precious fruit of the earth, and hath long patience for it, until he receive the early and latter rain. 8 Be ye also patient; establish your hearts, for the coming of the Lord draws nigh. (James 5:7-8)

upload_2019-12-17_11-33-20.png

The abiding presence of the Lord has drawn near. Interestingly, "has drawn near" is the Perfect Tense. The Lord's presence has become near, and isn't going to stop being near.

Even so, no timeline.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Stop dodging and answer my question, LoL.

Are you denying that thru these passages the NT writers were telling everyone Christ's return was imminent? Yes or No?

Just answer the question.
If you think this is what they taught, quote the passage that says so.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Hidden In Him ,

You've shifted the discussion away from DW's Vision, and onto interpretation of Biblical prophecy.

Do you truly believe that the Apostles who penned the New Testament prophesied that Jesus was returning in their lifetimes? If you do, how do you square this with the fact that Jesus did not?

Or is it just that you want to apply the same standard to the Bible that you apply to DW? Well . . . Paul said Jesus was coming in his life, and he didn't, so what's the big deal about DW? Is that it?

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
HIH, there were some in the church who panicked, too, that maybe the day of the Lord had already come. So yes, I think they looked for it at any time.

Reactions: Hidden In Him

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Stop dodging and answer my question, LoL.

Are you denying that thru these passages the NT writers were telling everyone Christ's return was imminent? Yes or No?

Just answer the question.

The apostles did not write that Jesus was returning in a few years, this year, next year, in their lifetimes, within the next century, nothing like that. If they had they would have been guilty of the same error as DW, in giving timing that was not fulfilled.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
HIH, there were some in the church who panicked, too, that maybe the day of the Lord had already come. So yes, I think they looked for it at any time.

Yes, Ma'am. :)

I once thought as marks did as well, until I eventually set aside my assumptions and starting looking at the verses closely, and realized what they were actually saying. I don't regard the NT apostles as being "false apostles" or false prophets simply because they were interpreting the end of all things to be coming in their time. As I said, it was for the church's benefit that they NOT know His return was 2,000 years away. If He had told them, "Be vigilant and remain steadfast against all persecution and opposition, for I am returning... 2,000 years from now," it might not have been the best thing to say in that context, LoL.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I once thought as marks did as well, until I eventually set aside my assumptions and starting looking at the verses closely, and realized what they were actually saying.
Yet another loaded statement, come on man.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When they Did go around saying, "It's happening! It's happening!", what did God tell them?

2 Thessalonians 2
2 Now we beseech you, brethren, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and by our gathering together unto him,
2 That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that the day of Christ is at hand.
3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;
4 Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God.

Some things to happen first . . .

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't regard the NT apostles as being "false apostles" or false prophets simply because they were interpreting the end of all things to be coming in their time.
Prophecy, again, does not come from any private interpretation, which is to say, the prophet's interpretation.

I believe that God inspired the writing of the New Testament, and it's words do not reflect the opinions of the writers, rather, they are truth from God.

You've interpreted the prophecies as indicating Jesus coming within their lifetimes, but it doesn't say that, and it didn't happen, and so no, they are not false.

You've ascribed their supposed teaching of Jesus' return within some set time as just their erroneous opinions. Are you thinking that this is the sort of thing the Bible is comprised of? Men's erroneous opinions?

I don't think so.