Dead in Sin !

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then you should know this.

I don't know what else to say.

Much love!
Not one single N.T. Greek lexicon translates metenoia as "exchange" our minds.

Strong's #3341: metanoia (pronounced met-an'-oy-ah)

from 3340; (subjectively) compunction (for guilt, including reformation); by implication, reversal (of (another's) decision):--repentance.

Thayer's Greek Lexicon:
metanoia
1) a change of mind, as it appears to one who repents, of a purpose he has formed or of something he has done

Part of Speech: noun feminine

Relation: from G3340

Citing in TDNT: 4:975, 636

brightfame52

Oct 16, 2020
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You forgot already, this scripture:

Act 17:30, And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:
That command is to the born again ones, not those dead in sin ! And that command is effectual in that it produces the results intended.

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Indeed...
    • Thayer: (1) To change one’s mind, (2) To change one’s mind for the better, heartily to amend with abhorrence of one’s past sins.
    • Strong’s: to think differently or afterwards, that is, reconsider (morally to feel compunction): – repent.
    • Easton’s Bible Dictionary- “Metanoeo, meaning to change one’s mind and purpose, as the result of after knowledge. This verb, with the cognate noun metanoia, is used of true repentance, a change of mind and purpose and life, to which remission of sin is promised.”
    • Henry George Liddel, Robert Scott, A Greek-English Lexicon: perceive afterwards or too late; concur subsequently
    • King James Dictionary: (1) To Change One’s Mind & Purpose; Regret. (2) To lament one’s actions; turn again.
    • Vines: lit., “to perceive afterwards” (meta, “after,” implying “change,” noeo, “to perceive;” nous, “the mind, the seat of moral reflection”), in contrast to proneo, “to perceive beforehand,” hence signifies “to change one’s mind or purpose,” always, in the NT, involving a change for the better, an amendment, and always, except in Luke 17:3,4, of “repentance” from sin.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
    • Thayer: (1) To change one’s mind, (2) To change one’s mind for the better, heartily to amend with abhorrence of one’s past sins.
    • Strong’s: to think differently or afterwards, that is, reconsider (morally to feel compunction): – repent.
    • Easton’s Bible Dictionary- “Metanoeo, meaning to change one’s mind and purpose, as the result of after knowledge. This verb, with the cognate noun metanoia, is used of true repentance, a change of mind and purpose and life, to which remission of sin is promised.”
    • Henry George Liddel, Robert Scott, A Greek-English Lexicon: perceive afterwards or too late; concur subsequently
    • King James Dictionary: (1) To Change One’s Mind & Purpose; Regret. (2) To lament one’s actions; turn again.
    • Vines: lit., “to perceive afterwards” (meta, “after,” implying “change,” noeo, “to perceive;” nous, “the mind, the seat of moral reflection”), in contrast to proneo, “to perceive beforehand,” hence signifies “to change one’s mind or purpose,” always, in the NT, involving a change for the better, an amendment, and always, except in Luke 17:3,4, of “repentance” from sin.
Good definitions...

brightfame52

Oct 16, 2020
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OK. We'll disagree over that.

In times past God overlooked sin, but now calls on everyone to repent, Acts 17 I think.

What is repentance in your view? The word itself means to have an exchanged mind. What is your thought?

Much love!
Yeah it means a change of mind. Its new regenerated mind !

brightfame52

Oct 16, 2020
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It means a turning...
And God does the turning Jer 31 19

Surely after that I was turned, I repented; and after that I was instructed, I smote upon my thigh: I was ashamed, yea, even confounded, because I did bear the reproach of my youth.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
And God does the turning Jer 31 19

Surely after that I was turned, I repented; and after that I was instructed, I smote upon my thigh: I was ashamed, yea, even confounded, because I did bear the reproach of my youth.
Philippians 2: "It is God that worketh in you both to will and to do of His good pleasure"

Reactions: brightfame52

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Born again is derived from a confession. Your biased, and thus fail to truly comprehend God's wisdom and justice. But you try to disguise your ignorance under the veil of pseudo piety. God is sovereign, and good for you to recognize that much, but don't be so one-dimensional in your perception of God and His divine plan for Hid creatures. Take a look at the world around you, who told you that man does not have free-will, your a-priori understanding of God's sovereignty?
Hogwash. I refer you to the reformation and the rather well known work by Martin Luther, the bondage of the will. I'm no scholar, but I don't pretend to be either. I am biased for sure, my opinions have been greatly biased by God within me, which I could not claim until I was born again of the spirit of God. Don't be too concerned. The vast majority of professing Christians don't really know God at all, just dogma and religion.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
keep telling yourself that and I suppose you remembered that in the womb.................

I do remember remembering being in the womb.

Sure it can, thats the exact reason why. A Person cant repent without being saved.

Likewise, a person can't be saved without repenting. For we have determined that these things happen at the same time; both salvation and repentance being the (same) gift of God.

You forgot already, this scripture:

Act 17:30, And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:

That command is to the born again ones, not those dead in sin ! And that command is effectual in that it produces the results intended.

All men every where are born again? That is Universalism; a doctrine of devils.

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I remember the second I was conceived,

top that !

I also have red bridge for sale that spans from San Francisco to Marin for $100. I'll give you the title after I receive your money order in the mail.

Deal ?

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hogwash. I refer you to the reformation and the rather well known work by Martin Luther, the bondage of the will. I'm no scholar, but I don't pretend to be either. I am biased for sure, my opinions have been greatly biased by God within me, which I could not claim until I was born again of the spirit of God. Don't be too concerned. The vast majority of professing Christians don't really know God at all, just dogma and religion.
One has to reconcile Scripture, with the world around them. This is where Luther's 'The Bondage of the Will' is short-sighted.
But, not only does anthropological evidence clearly display an autonomy in man, Scripture also, both explicitly and implicitly, had emphatically delineated man's free-will, and for this reason, his obligation to obey God - which the defiance of lead to immediate death both circumstantially (Korah), and by Law (Capital crimes, Uzzah, etc..).

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One has to reconcile Scripture, with the world around them. This is where Luther's 'The Bondage of the Will' is short-sighted.
But, not only does anthropological evidence clearly display an autonomy in man, Scripture also, both explicitly and implicitly, had emphatically delineated man's free-will, and for this reason, his obligation to obey God - which the defiance of lead to immediate death both circumstantially (Korah), and by Law (Capital crimes, Uzzah, etc..).
More hogwash. Carnality at best, deception at worst. You don't reconcile scripture with a fallen world under a curse, that's self justifying, but if you believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and that He is risen from the dead you shall be saved.

brightfame52

Oct 16, 2020
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Likewise, a person can't be saved without repenting. For we have determined that these things happen at the same time; both salvation and repentance being the (same) gift of God.

All men every where are born again? That is Universalism; a doctrine of devils.
Actually God saves a person first and as a result they repent. A Spiritually dead lost person cannot repent. Repentance as is faith is evidence of having been born again saved.

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
More hogwash. Carnality at best, deception at worst. You don't reconcile scripture with a fallen world under a curse, that's self justifying, but if you believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and that He is risen from the dead you shall be saved.
No, that's exactly what we do, for again, the Law would not have stipulated Capital punishment for certain crimes, if man was incapable of abiding by the precept. Plus, even atheists and pagans are full of good deeds. Which part do you not understand?

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually God saves a person first and as a result they repent. A Spiritually dead lost person cannot repent. Repentance as is faith is evidence of having been born again saved.

Actually, this is what the scripture says:

Eze 33:11, Say unto them, As I live, saith the Lord GOD, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but that the wicked turn from his way and live: turn ye, turn ye from your evil ways; for why will ye die, O house of Israel?

Eze 33:14, Again, when I say unto the wicked, Thou shalt surely die; if he turn from his sin, and do that which is lawful and right;
Eze 33:15, If the wicked restore the pledge, give again that he had robbed, walk in the statutes of life, without committing iniquity; he shall surely live, he shall not die.
Eze 33:16, None of his sins that he hath committed shall be mentioned unto him: he hath done that which is lawful and right; he shall surely live.

Eze 33:19, But if the wicked turn from his wickedness, and do that which is lawful and right, he shall live thereby.

Reactions: 07-07-07