Dead to the Law

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You do what your conscience tells you to do.

What I believe is written on our hearts is not the Ten Commandments per se with the 4th commandment, but what I call the eternal laws of God that the Ten Commandments were fashioned after, but didn't quite measure up to their depth or could make on perfect.

Mark 12:
28 Then one of the scribes came, and having heard them reasoning together, perceiving that He had answered them well, asked Him, “Which is the first commandment of all?”

29 Jesus answered him, “The first of all the commandments is: ‘Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one. 30 And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength.’ This is the first commandment. 31 And the second, like it, is this: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.”

You do neither....” ALL your heart?” ..... sorry....only Jesus did that .....you need Grace.....that’s the whole point of the Law that you can’t and don’t keep....

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jn 10:10 life Of grace

suffering for example

Suffering Necessary part of Salvation!

Heb 2:9-10 But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man.

10 For it became him, for whom are all things, and by whom are all things, in bringing many sons unto glory, to make the captain of their salvation perfect through sufferings.

Patience Implies suffering!

In order to bear fruit we must deny ourself, suffer, and die!

John 12:24
Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit.

Jn 15:4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. 5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

Our principal means of dying is baptism!

Rom 6:4
Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

Romans 6:3
Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?

More. Verses about suffering:

Matthew 10:38
And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me.

Matthew 16:24
Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.

Matthew 16:25
For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it.

Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit.

He that loveth his life shall lose it; and he that hateth his life in this world shall keep it unto life eternal.

Romans 5:3
And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;

Romans 5:4
And patience, experience; and experience, hope:

Romans 8:17
And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.

2 Corinthians 12:9
And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

2 Thessalonians 1:5
Which is a manifest token of the righteous judgment of God, that ye may be counted worthy of the kingdom of God, for which ye also suffer:

Colossians 1:11
Strengthened with all might, according to his glorious power, unto all patience and longsuffering with joyfulness;

2 Timothy 2:12
If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us:

Phil 1:29
For unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for his sake;

James 1:2-8
My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations; Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience. But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing

Hebrews 6:12
That ye be not slothful, but followers of them who through faith and patience inherit the promises.

Hebrews 10:36
For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise.

Hebrews 12:4
Ye have not yet resisted unto blood, striving against sin.

1 Peter 2:20
For what glory is it, if, when ye be buffeted for your faults, ye shall take it patiently? but if, when ye do well, and suffer for it, ye take it patiently, this is acceptable with God.
Not a word here about merit, Ange. :)

07-07-07

Nov 18, 2018
Rust Belt
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are perfectly describing Legalism.
This is "I'm trying to save myself" while i pretend i trust in Jesus.

See, if you really Trust in Christ, you dont try to do by self effort, what only God can do for you as "the gift of Salvation".
Not legalism at all.
Ephesians 2
8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Temper, temper, Newb. :D
Who's playing games?

Romans 2:6
who will render to each person according to his deeds:

2 Corinthians 5:10
For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each one may be recompensed for his deeds in the body, according to what he has done, whether good or bad.

1 Corinthians 4:5
Therefore do not go on passing judgment before the time, but wait until the Lord comes who will both bring to light the things hidden in the darkness and disclose the motives of men’s hearts; and then each man’s praise will come to him from God.

1 Peter 1:17
If you address as Father the One who impartially judges according to each one’s work, conduct yourselves in fear during the time of your stay on earth;

Revelation 20:12
And I saw the dead, the great and the small, standing before the throne, and books were opened; and another book was opened, which is the book of life; and the dead were judged from the things which were written in the books, according to their deeds.

Psalm 62:12
And lovingkindness is Yours, O Lord,
For You recompense a man according to his work.

Proverbs 24:12
If you say, “See, we did not know this,”
Does He not consider it who weighs the hearts?
And does He not know it who keeps your soul?
And will He not render to man according to his work?

Colossians 3:25
For he who does wrong will receive the consequences of the wrong which he has done, and that without partiality.

Proverbs 11:31
If the righteous will be rewarded in the earth,
How much more the wicked and the sinner!

1 Corinthians 3:8
Now he who plants and he who waters are one; but each will receive his own reward according to his own labor.

I'm not having a temper, LOL! I'm just trying to reason with a poor soul who has not found out yet that Christ has kept the Law for us through faith in Him. We are declared innocent of all charges when we accept Him.

Have you not read that "Christ fulfilled the Law that the Law might be fulfilled in us?" We can't do it, if we could, there would have been no need for Him to come!

How does this happen?

When we are saved by faith, the Holy Spirit begins to work out our sanctification by producing the fruits of the Spirit, peace, joy, love, etc. you have read the list Paul gave us.

Through these fruits and in our faith in Christ, the Holy Spirit slowly but surly brings about Christ-likeness in us. We begin to bring forth the righteousness of Christ in our actions. It's all done by Him and involves nothing from us but faith and a willingness to be a servant of Christ.

We now have been set free from the curse of the Law that condemned every man. We are free in Christ to serve Him without fear.

The Law condemned man, in that He could not keep it. As Paul said, it was our schoolmaster to point us to Christ. But the self-righteous Jews (most of them) didn't recognize that in the sacrificial system of the Law was the way out, the sacrifice that represented faith in Christ.

They thought they could and were keeping the Law, but Christ told them "none of you have kept the Law."

From the beginning of man, faith in Christ has been the only way man could be saved, but the Jews who were so self-righteous in their ways, didn't even recognize their Messiah when He came. They were keeping the Law, so they thought, and crucified the One who said they weren't. They said he was trying to destroy the Law of Moses, when He plainly told them, "I have not come to destroy, but to fulfill.

Why did He come to fulfill the Law of Moses? Because They couldn't do it, even with the way out in the Sacrificial Law, which most didn't even understand by this time.

Reactions: BloodBought 1953

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You do neither....” ALL your heart?” ..... sorry....only Jesus did that .....you need Grace.....that’s the whole point of the Law that you can’t and don’t keep....
So you don't even believe we have to keep the two great commandments? o_Oo_O:confused:

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not a word here about merit, Ange. :)

bearing fruit
Jn 15:4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. 5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit:

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm just trying to reason with a poor soul who has not found out yet that Christ has kept the Law for us through faith in Him. We are declared innocent of all charges when we accept Him.
And to think for nearly 50 years I've been "a poor soul" who's been doing the whole "Christian" thing all wrong. Thing is, I agree with you on your remarks about substitutionary atonement and justification, so I guess I have found it out. Thanks for reminding me, though. :)

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
bearing fruit
Jn 15:4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. 5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit:
Still looking for something denoting merit, Ange. :)
You beat everything, you know that? :D

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And to think for nearly 50 years I've been "a poor soul" who's been doing the whole "Christian" thing all wrong. Thing is, I agree with you on your remarks about substitutionary atonement and justification, so I guess I have found it out. Thanks for reminding me, though. :)

the church is not required? Even though Christ and His church are one! Acts 22:9
The sacraments are not required? How you enter the new covenant and are sanctified by grace without baptism IDK!

1 Corinthians 12:13
For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

Galatians 3:27
For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

07-07-07

Nov 18, 2018
Rust Belt
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
that’s why we need the church to forgive sins

The Church should be focused on raising up Saints, not sinners.

Ephesians 4
23 And be renewed in the spirit of your mind;

24 And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.

Reactions: justbyfaith

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Church should be focused on raising up Saints, not sinners.

Ephesians 4
23 And be renewed in the spirit of your mind;

24 And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.

Jn 20:21-23 forgive sins

grace that actually sanctifys amen

suffering also

they always forget suffering with Christ

Suffering Necessary part of Salvation!

Heb 2:9-10 But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man.

10 For it became him, for whom are all things, and by whom are all things, in bringing many sons unto glory, to make the captain of their salvation perfect through sufferings.

Patience Implies suffering!

In order to bear fruit we must deny ourself, suffer, and die!

Jn 15:4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. 5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

Our principal means of dying is baptism!

Rom 6:4
Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

Romans 6:3
Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?

More. Verses about suffering:

Matthew 10:38
And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me.

Matthew 16:24
Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.

Matthew 16:25
For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it.

He that loveth his life shall lose it; and he that hateth his life in this world shall keep it unto life eternal.

Romans 5:3
And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;

Romans 5:4
And patience, experience; and experience, hope:

Romans 8:17
And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.

2 Corinthians 12:9
And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

2 Thessalonians 1:5
Which is a manifest token of the righteous judgment of God, that ye may be counted worthy of the kingdom of God, for which ye also suffer:

Colossians 1:11
Strengthened with all might, according to his glorious power, unto all patience and longsuffering with joyfulness;

2 Timothy 2:12
If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us:

Phil 1:29
For unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for his sake;

James 1:2-8
My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations; Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience. But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing

Hebrews 6:12
That ye be not slothful, but followers of them who through faith and patience inherit the promises.

Hebrews 10:36
For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise.

Hebrews 12:4
Ye have not yet resisted unto blood, striving against sin.

1 Peter 2:20
For what glory is it, if, when ye be buffeted for your faults, ye shall take it patiently? but if, when ye do well, and suffer for it, ye take it patiently, this is acceptable with God.

07-07-07

Nov 18, 2018
Rust Belt
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Again, how could two things be any more different? :)

Sin is of the devil.

1 John 3
8 He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.

9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God