Dead to the Law

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What does Paul mean by "you also are become dead to the Law?" (Romans 7:4) Paul here uses an analogy of marriage, when a spouse dies, they are freed from that Law and can remarry without committing adultery. He is speaking of being "dead to the Law" and now married to Christ, no longer under the Old Covenant, but married to Christ in the New.

What does this mean?

Rom. 8:3-4,
"For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:

That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit."

When we accept Christ as our Saviour, by His keeping the Law perfectly, we are declared Law-keepers by virtue of faith in Christ. We have been freed from the curse of Law that no one could keep. We are to no longer worry about keeping any Law whatsoever, Christ has done it for us and in us.

We are now "dead to the Law" but the Law itself is not dead, it is active. I'm speaking of the Moral Law, the Ten Commandments, which is God's standard of righteousness.

We must realize that Christ has already satisfied the demands of the broken Law, and by faith in Him, the Law has no effect on us, we are dead to the Law and alive unto Christ.

Matt. 5:17-20
"Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven."

There are some among us who claim Christ but are still married to the Law and not Christ!

They are still trying to keep the Law and Commandments of Christ literally, and that is impossible to do! All of this has been fulfilled by Christ in us by faith in Him.

It doesn't mean we are now perfect and will not sin, it means that God sees us as Law-keepers in Christ by faith.

John 7:19
"Did not Moses give you the law, and yet none of you keepeth the law? Why go ye about to kill me?"

You can't keep the Law or His commandments! You must "become dead to the Law" by faith and be married to Christ! Then God will see you as a Law-keeper, even though you fail at times.

Reactions: Nancy

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What does Paul mean by "you also are become dead to the Law?" (Romans 7:4) Paul here uses an analogy of marriage, when a spouse dies, they are freed from that Law and can remarry without committing adultery. He is speaking of being "dead to the Law" and now married to Christ, no longer under the Old Covenant, but married to Christ in the New.

What does this mean?
The law acted like a kind of marriage license that held us in marital submission to the flesh so that we bore the fruit of the flesh. But a legal marriage license is only in effect while the husband is alive. So when our flesh was crucified with Christ on the cross we were released from the law which bound us in marital submission to that flesh. So now we are free to remarry and bear the fruit of marital submission to a new husband, Jesus Christ.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He is speaking of being "dead to the Law" and now married to Christ, no longer under the Old Covenant, but married to Christ in the New.

Consider 1 Peter 4:6 For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.
“...That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit."

John 7:19
"Did not Moses give you the law, and yet none of you keepeth the law? Why go ye about to kill me?"

In the above passage He told them:
John 7:24 Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment.

“For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.”
Judged by appearance according unto men in the flesh, but 2 Corinthians 5:7 (For we walk by faith, not by sight

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We are no longer under the law (Romans 6:14), are dead to the law (Romans 7:4, Galatians 2:19), and are delivered from the law (Romans 7:6) as concerning condemnation...

However, we are still governed by the law as concerning practice (Hebrews 8:8-10, Hebrews 10:16, Romans 8:7, Romans 8:4, 1 John 5:3, 2 John 1:6, Romans 13:8-10; Romans 5:5).

It is not that we are to any more look to a set of do's and don'ts that we are to live up to in order to save ourselves.

It is that we have placed our faith in Christ; and through faith in Christ we have the Holy Ghost (Galatians 3:14) and through the Holy Ghost the love of the Lord is shed abroad in our hearts (Romans 5:5).

Love is the fulfilling of the righteousness of the law within us (Romans 13:8-10, Galatians 5:14, 1 John 5:3, 2 John 1:6, Romans 8:4).

Love is the fruit of the Spirit; against which there is no law (Galatians 5:22-23).

This means that there is no law that we will violate as we bear the fruit of the Spirit; as we bear the fruit of the Spirit we will become law-abiding citizens of the kingdom of heaven (again, Galatians 5:22-23).

Again, we do not accomplish this righteousness by attempting to obey a set of do's and don'ts (Romans 3:21); yet that same set of do's and don'ts, when we have this righteousness, will testify to the fact that we are righteous indeed (again, Romans 3:21).

It is a righteousness by faith apart from the law where we are regenerated and renewed on the inside by the Holy Ghost. As the result, we are no longer foolish, disobedient, deceived, serving divers lusts and pleasures, living in malice and envy, hateful and hating one another (Titus 3:3-5).

And this translates into a righteousness that does not violate the law or the prophets (Romans 3:21).

Thus, we find that, while by the deeds of the law no flesh shall be justified (Romans 3:20, Galatians 2:16), that the law is a schoolmaster to lead us to Christ in that it shows us that we are still sinners in need of a Saviour (Romans 3:20, Galatians 3:24, Psalms 19:7 (kjv)).

For if we have the Saviour, we will not be doing things in violation of the law (see Romans 8:4, Galatians 5:22-23).

For I would say that Romans 8:4 and Galatians 5:22-23 are speaking of a practical reality.

Last edited:

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For I would say that Romans 8:4 is speaking of a practical reality.
I agree.
And I think that's what Jesus was talking about, too, when he said our righteousness must exceed that of the Pharisees. They neglected the weightier matters of the law. They were blameless in regard to the externals of the law but failed miserably in matters of the law regarding hatred and greed and love. We are not to neglect those. And so our righteousness must exceed that of the so-called law keeping Pharisees.

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The Law holds no authority or condemnation upon us. Nor should we regard it as something with potency or efficacy, for we know that the letter of the Law kills and that the Law of mercy and faith brings life. So, just as Paul also stated that we are dead to the flesh and its desires, due to it's inherent propensity to evil, we must also consider ourselves not subjugated to the rigidity and scrutiny of the Law - which addresses all matters of the flesh.
Where there is no intent for evil, there is no need for a Law, the Law was enacted solely for Law breakers.

07-07-07

Nov 18, 2018
Rust Belt
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hebrews 8:10
10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What does Paul mean by "you also are become dead to the Law?" (Romans 7:4)

A law is a law...for TO DO or NOT DO what the law says...has Consequences.

Obey the law- Positive Consequences.
Disobey the law- Negative Consequences.

When a law no longer has Consequences, the law becomes moot.

When a person continues to "Trust" to "Believe" the law still "Applies" to "them", so then does the "Consequences".

For people "subject to" Mosaic Law ...
The law became "moot", when Jesus Fulfilled the Law.

Men who "were subject" to Mosaic law; and do not believe Jesus fulfilled their law; may and DO continue to be "subject to the law" and its "Consequences".

Gentile's were not "subject to Mosaic law", thus they never "BECAME", not subject to Mosaic law or its consequences.

Clear laws are revealed in Scripture that apply to ANYONE, (Jew or Gentile), IN Christ, and the Obedience, is Accomplished, by the internal Spirit of God (rather than a man's wish washy weak power) and the Consequence always positive.

Tid-bit. In the US, many laws can apply to and govern individuals, at Federal, State, County, City, and District levels.
There are numerous, laws that have been repealed, yet the negative consequence "written as Penal laws", remain.
Funny, people are quick to "accept the penal consequence"...fines, jail time etc.....Because they are uninformed the Law was repealed. :rolleyes:

(And BTW...FYI...beware, Handy online searches for laws...often "omit" publishing all the laws online. Omit does not mean repealed. Omit means, that is most likely the law you should go to a law library and read because it still is in effect)

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gentile's were not "subject to Mosaic law",

Unbelieving Gentiles have always been subject to the Mosaic law in that they will be found guilty before the Lord because of it (Romans 3:19-20).

For, Romans 6:14 only applies to believers in Christ, the church of God.

Romans 3:10-18 applies to Jews and Gentiles but not the church of God (Romans 3:9, 1 Corinthians 10:32).

It does not apply to those who are not under the law (Romans 3:19); and that applies only to believers (Romans 6:14).

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Unbelieving Gentiles have always been subject to the Mosaic law in that they will be found guilty before the Lord because of it (Romans 3:19-20).

Hogwash.

Are you under Islam law?
Yes or no?
If not, WHY not?

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hogwash.

Are you under Islam law?
Yes or no?
If not, WHY not?
Islamic law is not the law of God, by which God will judge every man in the last day.

I am not under Islamic law because it is not the eternal law of the Lord.

The law of Moses is; it is the law by which every man will be found guilty before God.

Rom 3:19, Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God.
Rom 3:20, Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.

In order for Gentiles to be found guilty by the law of Moses, they have to be under the law of Moses. And yes, unbelieving Gentiles are included in our understanding of who is "all the world".

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Islamic law is not the law of God, by which God will judge every man in the last day.

I am not under Islamic law because it is not the eternal law of the Lord.

You are not under Islamic law because you did not agree to be under that law.

The law of Moses is;

Mosaic Law is the law that governs those who agreed to Be governed by that law.

Ex 19:
[8] And all the people answered together, and said, All that the LORD hath spoken we will do. And Moses returned the words of the people unto the LORD.

In order for Gentiles to be found guilty by the law of Moses, they have to be under the law of Moses.

Uh huh. And they are not unless they convert and agree to be under the Mosaic law!

And yes, unbelieving Gentiles are included in our understanding of who is "all the world".

What does ^ THAT have to do with who is under what law? :rolleyes:

Reactions: BloodBought 1953

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Uh huh. And they are not unless they convert and agree to be under the Mosaic law!

So, unbelieving Gentiles are not condemned by Mosaic law if they break it?

I would contend with you that they are found guilty by it.

What does ^ THAT have to do with who is under what law?

All the world will be found guilty according to the Mosaic law. Since that includes unbelieving Gentiles, Gentiles will be found guilty by Mosaic law. How then are they not under it, since they will be found guilty because of it?

Did you read Romans 3:19 closely enough? Did you think on what it means?

People in Muslim lands do not agree to be under Mosaic law, they are under it because they live in those lands.

I did not agree to be under the law of the United States, I am under the law of the United States because I live in the United States.

The law of God applies to all; for God is infinite and His kingdom extends into this world from eternity.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, unbelieving Gentiles are not condemned by Mosaic law if they break it?

Unbelieving Gentiles?
You are revealing lack of understanding.

I would contend with you that they are found guilty by it.

^ THAT is reflective of WHY this country is in dire straights. But contend away.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All the world will be found guilty according to the Mosaic law.

Nope.

Since that includes unbelieving Gentiles, Gentiles will be found guilty by Mosaic law.

Not so.

How then are they not under it,

It is obvious you have no understanding of Law, Jurisdiction, Subjection or application.

Are you under Russian Law?
WHY or why not?
Are you guilty for not obeying Russian Law?
WHY or why not?
Can you be Under Russian Law "ever"?
WHY or why not?
If a US citizen "never" leaves the US could they "ever" be under Russian law?

since they will be found guilty because of it?

Laws exist Religiously and Politically, whether or not you known the laws or believe the laws.

Did you read Romans 3:19 closely enough? Did you think on what it means?

Romans 3:
[19] Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God.

Close inspection.
"where"...(identified: Rome
(Rom 1:7)
"We"...(identified: Paul ...speaking
(Rom 1:1)
To Who...anyone gathered to hear.
"we"...(identified: Jews who converted...are in Christ, no longer under the Law)
(Rom 1:8)

*Also speaking to AND about Jews NOT Converted.
(Rom 2:17)
The speech to Unconverted Jews, is Their "reliance on a FLESH circumcision, (that IS an act under their law....but that ACT was their promised Agreement TO OBEY God...and they DO NOT- thus they ARE under the law, but do Not Obey God.
* They were told to expect a Messiah from God...and when their Messiah Was revealed... they disobey God, and Rejected the Messiah God sent them.
* Paul is explaining, their Flesh circumcision, is worthless: once their Messiah arrived, with a HEART Circumcision "for them"...and their danger, IS Rejecting receiving their "Heart Circumcision", available to them, From their Messiah, they Reject.
* Their additional danger is... they choosing "to remain under the law", depending on their "Flesh Circumcision"...but NOT following in obedience to "ALL" the Jewish Laws.

(Surely you must be aware of Historical Rome in Paul's day...a bustling city Full of Gentile Romans, with Heathen behaviors, and masses of Jews in that city "mimicking" the everyday behaviors of the Roman Gentiles....and such behaviors...were not against the Rulling Roman Laws...but rather very Acceptible in Gentile society behavior...and Jews were going along with what Gentile Society dictated was Acceptible....

(Not much different than what is occurring in the US today. People (Jew and Gentiles) knowing, what is Unacceptable behavior for men IN Christ....but Society shouting...homosexuality, choosing your gender, breaking the law, lying, cheating, drunkenness, lewdness, etc. is all acceptable
And encouraged.)

Ya, I know what Paul was saying and to whom and why.

I am not a Roman or Jew...I am not under the OT covenant or OT Jewish Law.
I am a Gentile, having accepted Christ's Covenant, thus under Christ's covenant, Have Christ's Heart Circumcision, and KNOW exactly what Law Applies to me under Christ's covenant. Further, I keep the Law, I made myself Subject To, by the Authority and Power Promis OF My Lord.

So...what applies to a Jew "under" Mosaic Law, who does or does not obey their law, has nothing to do with me.

People in Muslim lands do not agree to be under Mosaic law, they are under it because they live in those lands.

:D

I did not agree to be under the law of the United States, I am under the law of the United States because I live in the United States.

You don't "sign a declaration to agree with US Law"! BY being a citizen of the US, you Agree to abide with....every law "that Applies to You!"

There are Thousands of US Laws...but they do NOT all Apply to YOU.

Same for me. There are Thousands of US Laws but they DO NOT All Apply to me.

And there are Hundreds of LAW in The Bible...
But they DO NOT ALL APPLY TO me!

The law of God applies to all;

No it doesn't.
When was the last time you raised a pure animal and offered it to the priest to be slaughtered on the altar?

for God is infinite and His kingdom extends into this world from eternity.

Yes God is infinite...you say that with Conviction....YET... you Teach...
God had a mother.
God reproduced "an infinite God with a CREATED thing"!

The Infinite God, can not "create" an "infinite thing".
A CREATED thing, HAS a Beginning.
An infinite God has no beginning!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Unbelieving Gentiles?
You are revealing lack of understanding.

How so? Do you believe that there is no such thing as believing Gentiles? No such thing as unbelieving Gentiles?

On the rest, I am not going to argue with you any further, @Taken. tbh with you I don't even pay attention to your posts for the most part because I believe that you have not laid your faith on the proper foundation. And therefore, what you are building on it is not going to be a building that is going to stand.

I have also made my case and in your response, you did not refute the case that I made.

And, therefore, your argument is not with me but with the Lord.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Father is an eternal Spirit who inhabits eternity. Is Mary His mother as He exists in this form?

If she isn't, then she isn't the mother of God; i.e. she is not the mother of the Father.

For God is Trinity.

Father (the eternal Spirit who inhabits eternity, Isaiah 57:15).

Son (that same Spirit as He exists in human flesh, John 4:23-24, John 14:7-11, 1 John 4:1-3, 2 John 1:7).

Holy Ghost (that same Spirit as He was released back into eternity at the death of our Lord, Luke 23:46).

Mary is not the mother of the eternal Spirit who inhabits eternity; except as He has come to dwell in human flesh.

Therefore Mary is not the mother of His Deity she is only the mother of His humanity.

For she is not the origin of God the Father as He inhabits eternity.

Kapiche?

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Father is an eternal Spirit who inhabits eternity. Is Mary His mother as He exists in this form?

If she isn't, then she isn't the mother of God; i.e. she is not the mother of the Father.

For God is Trinity.

Father (the eternal Spirit who inhabits eternity, Isaiah 57:15).

Son (that same Spirit as He exists in human flesh, John 4:23-24, John 14:7-11, 1 John 4:1-3, 2 John 1:7).

Holy Ghost (that same Spirit as He was released back into eternity at the death of our Lord, Luke 23:46).

Mary is not the mother of the eternal Spirit who inhabits eternity; except as He has come to dwell in human flesh.

Therefore Mary is not the mother of His Deity she is only the mother of His humanity.

For she is not the origin of God the Father as He inhabits eternity.

Kapiche?

Mary is the mother of God Lk 1:43
Mother of Jesus Christ who is God
Mother of His person! And this person is The sin of God!