Dear Church, Here’s Why People Are REALLY Leaving You

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Axehead said:
I see more and more Christians, leaving the Institutional Church and meeting in homes.

Matt_18:20 For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.

The "blurred edges" of Christianity are being removed, everyday.
Axehead,

I think this is a healthy sign as the institutional church has tended to close down the need for ordinary people in ministry.

This is what should be happening in our churches:

Well, my brothers and sisters, let’s summarize. When you meet together, one will sing, another will teach, another will tell some special revelation God has given, one will speak in tongues, and another will interpret what is said. But everything that is done must strengthen all of you (1 Cor 14:26 NLT)
All of God's people are gifted, but you wouldn't believe that in my part of the world because only a few are given the opportunity to minister while the bulk of people sit and observe.

That's why I commend the house/cell church movement. Ralph Neighbour's book, Where Do We Go from Here? revolutionised my thinking in regard to the church and getting us back to every-member ministry.

Oz

numenian

Jun 19, 2015
pom2014 said:
I think its because they serve rotten fruit.

No one wants rotten fruit. Not even fallen people.
They serve "forbidden fruit" as a friendly pot luck.

numenian

Jun 19, 2015
pom2014 said:
I think its because they serve rotten fruit.

No one wants rotten fruit. Not even fallen people.
They serve "forbidden fruit" as a friendly pot luck. The mainstream Church in America is utterly ludicrous, a subset of the Republican Party. It is both heart-wrenching and ultimately sad. They are a flock not of sheep but Centurions.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
When we stop serving up religion and start offering Jesus to the people , than they will listen, dont need church for that.

In all His Love

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Which Jesus?
There is only one that I know of, You know the one that has gone to be with the father, the one who speaks to His sheep and knows them, teh one that sent us teh Holy Spirit so we would know the truth, the one that is with us all the time, teh one that is full of Grace, is there another you know of.

In all His Love

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
mjrhealth said:
There is only one that I know of, You know the one that has gone to be with the father, the one who speaks to His sheep and knows them, teh one that sent us teh Holy Spirit so we would know the truth, the one that is with us all the time, teh one that is full of Grace, is there another you know of.

In all His Love
So is he Jesus of Nazareth?

What about the postmodern, deconstructed Jesus promoted by members of the Jesus Seminar such as the late Marcus Borg and John Dominic Crossan? See Borg's book, Meeting Jesus Again for the First Time (HarperOne 2015).

You might think that there is only one Jesus - and I agree with you - the Christ of faith (the Exalted One) is the same person who walked the regions of Galilee and performed many mighty works. But that's not how a postmodern Jesus looks to these folks. He is reinvented for every generation, every new situation. There are many Jesuses for these folks.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You might think that there is only one Jesus - and I agree with you - the Christ of faith (the Exalted One) is the same person who walked the regions of Galilee and performed many mighty works. But that's not how a postmodern Jesus looks to these folks. He is reinvented for every generation, every new situation. There are many Jesuses for these folks.
Depends on which church you go to and which bible you read. I beleiev there are 46 Gods one for each different version of the bible??

In all His Love

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I dint find it funny but thats what you get from Christians. What is it that is said, the bible is teh word of God yet teh bible declares that Jesus is teh word of God, what else does it say.

" teh words that I speak thay are spirit and they are life", what is teh written word called " teh dead letter", dried ink stained upon some line. Yo uread the bible did you not, it pointed you to Christ did it not, now did you find Christ? if you have why are you not running after Him??

They say God is perfect and ineerant taht God never changes yet 46 differnt version of teh bible with differnt meanings even quoted by bible name , if they are all teh same why are they all different, try explain that to a 2 year old child.

Yes God and Christ hold a lesser place in teh hearts of men than written words in a book. Doesnt that make it an Idol??

In all His Love

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
mjrhealth said:
They say God is perfect and ineerant taht God never changes yet 46 differnt version of teh bible with differnt meanings even quoted by bible name , if they are all teh same why are they all different, try explain that to a 2 year old child.
That's the kind of confusion to which I am referring.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Narrow is the way that leads to life and very few find it,
Is not Jesus teh way, so why do so few find Him,
If they had found Him would they not.

Joh_12:26 If any man serve me, let him follow me; and where I am, there shall also my servant be: if any man serve me, him will my Father honour.

Follow Him He is not dead.

In all His Love

cbdewd

Jul 1, 2015
Angelina said:
Great read!... ^_^

Dear Church, Here’s Why People Are REALLY Leaving You
By John Pavlovitz ~ Church Leaders

You think it’s because “the culture” is so lost, so perverse, so beyond help that they are all walking away.
You believe that they’ve turned a deaf ear to the voice of God; chasing money, and sex, and material things.
You think that the gays and the Muslims and the Atheists and the pop stars have so screwed up the morality of the world that everyone is abandoning faith in droves.

But those aren’t the reasons people are leaving you.

http://www.churchleaders.com/outreach-missions/outreach-missions-articles/244545-dear-church-heres-people-really-leaving.html
I'm new to this forum and when I read this I had to sign up. Thanks for posting this. I totally agree with this article.

We can be entertained anywhere. Until you can give us something more than a Christian-themed performance piece; something that allows us space and breath and conversation and relationship, many of us are going to sleep in and stay away.
The church is a lonely place. I drive to a church building, hear a sermon, people then rush out to just get in their cars and go home. I'd rather I'd stayed home and listened to sermons online. You don't know how lonely you really are until so many "loving" people don't care about you. If I'm open to love them but they won't love back I don't know what to do. It compounds the lonliness. Yet, the show must go on.

Anywhere else you'd expect the indifference. It's like a husband or wife who doesn't care to communicate. The silence is deafening you might say. I wish church was like in the book of Acts. I think the people not just the pastors are coldly hiding their lives from one another and the entertainment is hiding who the actors truly are.

Mat_24:12 And because lawlessness will be increased, the love of many will grow cold.

In fact, most of your time, money and energy seems to be about luring people to where you are, instead of reaching people where they already are.
You don't know how poor you really are until you see how much money other people have. I don't understand how many churches can have so much money given to them and be so self engrandized. I see so many people in this life really struggling to get by. Many churches today exists for themselves, not the people. They live above the people with their fancy buildings, expensive travel arrangements and newer vehicles.

Meanwhile, back on planet earth, many of us survive living hand to mouth even though we work hard. I just don't like how these churches flaunt their wealth in ways that prove they don't care to help others as much as they like their sound systems and large capacity buildings. Their budgets are spent on rather immodest materialism instead of caring for people. They should receive the blessing to give the blessing by helping people pay medical bills or other really helpful ways, not in self growth and luxury.

I know of foreign missionaries who are very poor, serving Jesus, while million dollar church buildings are being built across the street from other million dollar church buildings. Paul would be ashamed of the modern church for this.
We see a Jesus in the Bible who hung out with low-lifes and prostitutes and outcasts, and loved them right there, but that doesn’t seem to be your cup of tea.
You don't know how broken you really are until so many happy people don't relate to you. Especially when you don't qualify to meet the established social norms like being a part of one of those perfect and well dressed family units. I guess I'm a social outcast as I come with a hard life of problems and baggage that many can't relate to. I don't have a family and can't afford to dress to impress. I feel so broken. Most people have grown up unscathed by evil and seemingly can't relate to suffering.

I think the problem is that the church has become so ordered that they forgot how to help the disordered. It would be like putting a nice house in a ghetto. People begin to resent what it represents. Although there is nothing wrong with owning a nice house. The inequality of money becomes remarkeable when the house was intended to help others but does not. Everybody expects the church to be showing God's love on earth. The gospel get's tarnished and this is why Paul did not personally receive money but worked with his own hands. I love him for that. He cared about the gospel and the people to not put anything before them as a stumbling block.

The gospel is of God's love for us but what about man's love for us? It all just makes me want to just stay home and wait until He calls me out of this place. I hope Jesus will save me from this life. His love was proven on that cross. He gave all He had for us.

1Jn_3:16 By this we know love, that he laid down his life for us, and we ought to lay down our lives for the brothers.

Reactions: lforrest

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
cbdewd said:
I'm new to this forum and when I read this I had to sign up. Thanks for posting this. I totally agree with this article.

The church is a lonely place. I drive to a church building, hear a sermon, people then rush out to just get in their cars and go home. I'd rather I'd stayed home and listened to sermons online. You don't know how lonely you really are until so many "loving" people don't care about you. If I'm open to love them but they won't love back I don't know what to do. It compounds the lonliness. Yet, the show must go on.

Anywhere else you'd expect the indifference. It's like a husband or wife who doesn't care to communicate. The silence is deafening you might say. I wish church was like in the book of Acts. I think the people not just the pastors are coldly hiding their lives from one another and the entertainment is hiding who the actors truly are.

Mat_24:12 And because lawlessness will be increased, the love of many will grow cold.

You don't know how poor you really are until you see how much money other people have. I don't understand how many churches can have so much money given to them and be so self engrandized. I see so many people in this life really struggling to get by. Many churches today exists for themselves, not the people. They live above the people with their fancy buildings, expensive travel arrangements and newer vehicles.

Meanwhile, back on planet earth, many of us survive living hand to mouth even though we work hard. I just don't like how these churches flaunt their wealth in ways that prove they don't care to help others as much as they like their sound systems and large capacity buildings. Their budgets are spent on rather immodest materialism instead of caring for people. They should receive the blessing to give the blessing by helping people pay medical bills or other really helpful ways, not in self growth and luxury.

I know of foreign missionaries who are very poor, serving Jesus, while million dollar church buildings are being built across the street from other million dollar church buildings. Paul would be ashamed of the modern church for this.
You don't know how broken you really are until so many happy people don't relate to you. Especially when you don't qualify to meet the established social norms like being a part of one of those perfect and well dressed family units. I guess I'm a social outcast as I come with a hard life of problems and baggage that many can't relate to. I don't have a family and can't afford to dress to impress. I feel so broken. Most people have grown up unscathed by evil and seemingly can't relate to suffering.

I think the problem is that the church has become so ordered that they forgot how to help the disordered. It would be like putting a nice house in a ghetto. People begin to resent what it represents. Although there is nothing wrong with owning a nice house. The inequality of money becomes remarkeable when the house was intended to help others but does not. Everybody expects the church to be showing God's love on earth. The gospel get's tarnished and this is why Paul did not personally receive money but worked with his own hands. I love him for that. He cared about the gospel and the people to not put anything before them as a stumbling block.

The gospel is of God's love for us but what about man's love for us? It all just makes me want to just stay home and wait until He calls me out of this place. I hope Jesus will save me from this life. His love was proven on that cross. He gave all He had for us.

1Jn_3:16 By this we know love, that he laid down his life for us, and we ought to lay down our lives for the brothers.
cbd,

Welcome to this Board. I trust you'll find some fellowship here.

To overcome the major difficulties you have raised with the institutional church (and I see them all over the place), have you considered joining a house church in your region? Since I'm not able to find such a house church here in northern Brisbane suburbs, I attend a mid-week house group of a traditional church where there is a lot of personal contact and fellowship. This is meeting my fellowship needs and some Bible study with good interaction.

Oz

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
People are leaving churches because churches teach Christian Culture, not Christianity, and Christian Culture is out of step with the realities of American life. People do not like the feeling of cognitive dissidence.

cbdewd

Jul 1, 2015
OzSpen said:
cbd,

Welcome to this Board. I trust you'll find some fellowship here.

To overcome the major difficulties you have raised with the institutional church (and I see them all over the place), have you considered joining a house church in your region? Since I'm not able to find such a house church here in northern Brisbane suburbs, I attend a mid-week house group of a traditional church where there is a lot of personal contact and fellowship. This is meeting my fellowship needs and some Bible study with good interaction.

Oz
Hey, thanks for the warm welcome Oz!

I don't live near any home churches but they sound like something I would like to go to if I can ever find one. I trust the Lord to show me the way until He takes me home.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Read of so many pastors who leave church because of what it becomes, than get lonely start a homegroup., months later they have church albeit in a different form. Its human nature its a beastly system which is why we are called to be in Christ, walk with Him so he can teach us, but as he said,

Narrow is the way that leads to life and so few find It.

I am the way the truth and the life, any man who comes to me will not go hungry.

In all His Love

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
cbdewd said:
Hey, thanks for the warm welcome Oz!

I don't live near any home churches but they sound like something I would like to go to if I can ever find one. I trust the Lord to show me the way until He takes me home.
One of the great difficulties in my area of northern Brisbane is that it's nigh impossible to identify where house churches are located. Why don't you contact Ralph Neighbour's organization online, Touch Outreach Ministries, and ask for contacts of cell/house churches in your region. I did a Google search to find some in Brisbane and found someone who recommended one not too far from me, but that was where a lot of charismatic chaos happened and I wouldn't return to it. I have not been able to find another one locally.

Oz

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
People are also leaving churches because the Christians found in churches seemed to be obsessed by the equipment involved in the Christian life (whether it is Catholics and their fixation on the mechanics of the liturgy or Protestants and their compulsive need to cling to the Bible) rather than transformation of the heart. People are leaving diet plans for similar reasons - they are gimmicky and focus on food rather than exercise. In either arena, fixation on the equipment is not going to transform anyone into a healthy person, physically or spiritually.

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
aspen said:
People are also leaving churches because the Christians found in churches seemed to be obsessed by the equipment involved in the Christian life (whether it is Catholics and their fixation on the mechanics of the liturgy or Protestants and their compulsive need to cling to the Bible) rather than transformation of the heart. People are leaving diet plans for similar reasons - they are gimmicky and focus on food rather than exercise. In either arena, fixation on the equipment is not going to transform anyone into a healthy person, physically or spiritually.
So why is the Bible necessary for Protestants or other Christians?