Debate: S'mores and Camping Food

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
more-with-burnt-marshmallow-and-melted-chocolate-picture-id498951239

I disagree with the concept of s'mores.

First of all.

Roasting marshmallows = awesome
Eating marshmallows = awesome
Chocolate = awesome
Graham crackers = cereal

But all together at once is too sweet and I hate it. The best camping foods are salmonberries and fish.

I just had to get that off my chest.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America

First of all.

Chocolate = awesome
Graham crackers = cereal

But all together at once is too sweet and I hate it. The best camping foods are salmonberries and fish.

@FluffyYellowDuck I think the secret of camping and picnic foods is thoughtful preparation: what seems good on a whim might need to be modified to make the meal suitable for an outing....

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

First of all.

Chocolate = awesome
Graham crackers = cereal

Never had S'more's, believe it or not. Definitely agree that looks too sweet. Yuck. I like roasting marshmallows; I don't like eating 'em.

Gosh, when was the last time I went camping? Back when my oldest stepson was in the boy scouts, I'd go camping with the troop whenever they needed responsible adults. In Florida, wherever you pitch a tent, there's invariably sand fleas. Florida has all kinds of hostile critters, from alligators to coral snakes to brown-recluse spiders to fire-ants to hallucinogenic Bufo Marinis toads. Twenty five teen-aged boys. You can't control 'em; you can only hope to contain 'em. My job was to try to see to it that nobody gets hurt, lost in the woods, or starts a forest fire, and to moderate the God-and-Country badge discussions. Our oldest made Eagle Scout. The scoutmaster got featured on the old America's Most Wanted TV show and disappeared the next day.

Best camping foods? Burgers and hot dogs. Anything that could be cooked in the troop's Dutch Oven, like Brunswick Stew. Bananas and grapes travel well. Dessert was usually Oreos, but the kids once tried making a pineapple upside-down cake in the Dutch Oven. Turned out half liquid, half solid.

Speaking of Brunswick Stew, there's a rest stop off I-95 near Brunswick, Georgia where the local Scout troop bronzed their Dutch Oven and made a monument out of it along with a plaque commemorating Brunswick, GA as the birthplace of Brunswick Stew. I'm told Brunswick, Maine makes the same claim.

Last edited:

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The scoutmaster got featured on the old America's Most Wanted TV show and disappeared the next day.

:eek::eek:
Florida has all kinds of hostile critters, from alligators to coral snakes to brown-recluse spiders to fire-ants to hallucinogenic Bufo Marinis toads.
When I was thirteen and sneaking into my grandma's old AOL account to talk to her brother, I remember him telling me all about the snakes... and anywhere there is snakes, I say no thanks, because I don't like the snakes.

But I just googled midwest snakes and found out there's rattlesnakes. Not so much in ND, SO THEY SAY, but how do you know? Snakes don't care about state borders.

They packed the wifi, portable big screen, bbq, surfboards, 10 person tent, 2 gazebos, and booked a site at the beach directly over the road from half dozen restaurants.
All that and left out the kitchen sink?o_O:p

Attachments

• clear.png
    clear.png
    137 bytes · Views: 0

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A deer crossing sign with no bullet holes in it?

We went back to Florida for Christmas one year to visit my wife's family. My brother-in-law was telling us about taking my nephew hunting up in the Catskills up in New York. He spared no expense in buying the best guns and the best gear and hiring the best guide. It turned into a miserable trip. Rained for three days straight, they both caught colds that missed turning into pneumonia only through massive doses of antibiotics. They never even saw a deer. I had to tell him that I got more deer that season with my Mazda (1) than he got with the best hunting gear money could buy (0).

Reactions: Brakelite

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

We went back to Florida for Christmas one year to visit my wife's family. My brother-in-law was telling us about taking my nephew hunting up in the Catskills up in New York. He spared no expense in buying the best guns and the best gear and hiring the best guide. It turned into a miserable trip. Rained for three days straight, they both caught colds that missed turning into pneumonia only through massive doses of antibiotics. They never even saw a deer. I had to tell him that I got more deer that season with my Mazda (1) than he got with the best hunting gear money could buy (0).
Oh dear!

Reactions: Lambano

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

First of all.

Chocolate = awesome
Graham crackers = cereal

That's what happens when it dribbles down yer chin unchecked!

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But I just googled midwest snakes and found out there's rattlesnakes. Not so much in ND, SO THEY SAY, but how do you know? Snakes don't care about state borders.
My grandmother in Kansas (3 states south of ND) told stories about the rattlers they have out there on the Great Plains. I never saw one in Colorado. The only rattler I've seen in the wild was at my kids' high school down in Florida. It was an Eastern Diamondback (very distinct pattern) and had to be about 10 feet long and six inches thick. Some kids were trying to whack it with a 2x4. A LONG 2x4; those kids weren't going to get close to that snake. (Don't worry; Eastern Diamondbacks’ range isn’t that far west, and the Prairie rattlers don't get that big.)

Here in NC, you have to watch for copperheads. I ran across one while mowing the lawn one. Literally ran across one. With the lawn mower. Ended up with 4 copperheads. (See, Grandma isn't the only one who can tell tall tales about snakes!)

Last edited:

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

I've had days like that.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Don't you mean, "Oh deer!"? :D

That caused $3000 worth of damage to the front end of the Mazda. I shouldn't complain, though; the deer was totalled.
I was the only sober driver one night a long time ago. Driving everyone home in a friend's van. Hit a cow. Van totaled. Cow for dinner for the week.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

First of all.

Chocolate = awesome
Graham crackers = cereal

Always wondered what s'mores were when I've read about people eating them in books. so Thanks @FluffyYellowDuck , now i know.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
We used to have a camping stove with two burners and a little one burner. We took them on picnics and would make a full English breakfast and a cuppa on picnic tables. Delamere Forest in Cheshire

980134_7fed33bd.jpg

and in Beyws-y-coed, Wales

things-to-do-in-betws-y-coed-pont-y-pair.jpg

And one memorable evening it was late and we had stopped to make a cuppa in the park which is across the road from that hotel. It was almost dark but still warm and as we waited for our little kettle to boil we heard a Welsh Male Voice Choir start up in the courtyard of the hotel. I was beautiful and still brings goosebumps when I remember it.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
My grandmother in Kansas (3 states south of ND) told stories about the rattlers they have out there on the Great Plains. I never saw one in Colorado. The only rattler I've seen in the wild was at my kids' high school down in Florida. It was an Eastern Diamondback (very distinct pattern) and had to be about 10 feet long and six inches thick. Some kids were trying to whack it with a 2x4. A LONG 2x4; those kids weren't going to get close to that snake. (Don't worry; Eastern Diamondbacks’ range isn’t that far west, and the Prairie rattlers don't get that big.)

Here in NC, you have to watch for copperheads. I ran across one while mowing the lawn one. Literally ran across one. With the lawn mower. Ended up with 4 copperheads. (See, Grandma isn't the only one who can tell tall tales about snakes!)
@Lambano Welll...I guess you can keep the snakes, anyway.....

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
My daughter, son-in-law, and their 6 children plus one's girlfriend, went camping at Christmas. They packed the wifi, portable big screen, bbq, surfboards, 10 person tent, 2 gazebos, and booked a site at the beach directly over the road from half dozen restaurants. Now that's the camping I like.
You guys are anyway in Bondi country, right? beach events are quite the thing, Down Under, I believe.....