Democrat Catholics

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Seventh Day Adventists have their own definition of a scholarly "documented source".

"Once upon a time—let’s say from the time of Franklin Roosevelt till the time of Lyndon Johnson—the Democratic Party was the clear party of choice for American Catholics. The party had a special concern for the urban working classes and for the children and grandchildren of immigrants; its social justice ideas were often very similar to the social justice ideas outlined in papal encyclicals such as Rerum Novarum and Quadrigessimo Anno; it was emphatically patriotic and, like the Vatican, emphatically anti-Communist; it was strong on military defense; and it did almost nothing to defy or to undermine Catholic moral values. It was a party that Catholics, at least Catholics of the kind that flourished in those long-ago days, could feel very comfortable with.

I myself was one of those Catholic Democrats. Born in 1938, the second year of FDR’s second term, I first voted for president in 1960, the year that represented the summit of Catholic satisfaction with the Democratic Party, since that was the year John Kennedy was elected president. I was elected as a Democrat to the Rhode Island Senate in 1980; in 1989-90 I was the Democratic Majority Leader of the Senate; and in 1992 I was the Democratic candidate (alas, a losing candidate) for the United States House of Representatives.

During my political career, despite my prominent position in the party, I was becoming increasingly uncomfortable with the new direction the national party had taken. Today I am worse than uncomfortable; I am downright distressed and disillusioned.

The Catholics of the United States have changed greatly since those far-off days of FDR and LBJ. They used to be, religiously speaking, a relatively homogeneous group, but they are now divided between what may be called “real Catholics” and “nominal Catholics.” By “real Catholics” I mean those who go to church every weekend, who actually believe the doctrines of the Church, and who make a serious effort (while not always succeeding) to let their lives be guided by the moral rules and moral values endorsed by the Church.

By “nominal Catholics” I mean those who are quite opposite. They rarely or never attend Mass, and they have a “pick and choose” attitude when it comes to faith and morals. They are Catholic in the sense that they were baptized Catholic and have not yet sent in a letter of resignation. And of course there are shades of gray between these two extremes: Catholics who may be called semi-real or semi-nominal.

If Catholics have changed over the last three or four decades, so has the Democratic Party “changed utterly” (to use the words of Yeats). From being a party that Catholics could feel very comfortable with, it has become a party that Catholics—at least “real Catholics”—feel profoundly uncomfortable with. Not to put too fine a point on it, the national Democratic Party has become an anti-Christian party.
read more here

sister-diedre-rnc-1598494767.jpg

Sister Deirdre Byrne, a surgeon and retired Army colonel who spoke at the 2020 Republican National Convention, said the ongoing political and cultural conflicts in the United States are not at root "between Republicans and Democrats" but "between the Devil, who is real, and Our Lord."

"This battle we face is not a battle between Republicans and the Democrats, it’s not conservatives or liberals, or left versus right,” said Byrne on Apr. 30. “This is a battle between the Devil, who is real, and Our Lord.”

Byrne, a member of the Little Workers of the Sacred Hearts, is the abbess of her community and she also works at a medical clinic in Washington, D.C. She made her remarks at an international pro-life conference sponsored by Heartbeat International, reported the National Catholic Register.

One of Sister Byrne's specialties is working with pregnant women who have taken the abortion pill and then changed their mind. The process can be reversed in many cases and the child saved.

In related remarks, Sister Byrne said, “We have to pray for the president, we have to pray for the [Speaker Nancy Pelosi], we have to pray for all these people, these politicians who are wanting to make the abortion pill over the counter so people will be able to take it like bubble gum or Tylenol."
read more here: Sister Byrne: ' | CNSNews

further reading: Fr. Hardon Archives - Abortion as Pagan Sacrifice
That is very informative...thank you for sharing.
Now my question is why do leaders of the Catholic Church publicly get involved in politics to the point of even endorsing them?
Politics has become so corrupt that I would want my church to disassociate with any and all politicians and focus on the church and teaching the Word...

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
So shall we play the victimhood game? Shall we blame Fawkes’s actions on the disenfranchisement and persecution of Catholics in 17th-century England?

After all, consider the long list of state-sanctioned executions of people who dared to consider themselves English Catholics. Consider the suffering and imprisonment of the English Recusants, who valiantly refused to abandon their religion in the face of popular scorn. And let us not forget the overarching English disdain for Catholicism, which bleeds into the cultural attitudes of even our present day.

In fact, among one group, so hated was the Church that Christ began that England’s anti-Catholicism simply wasn’t enough. A purer, more distilled form of Protestantism had to be crafted, and they even had to cross the Atlantic Ocean itself just to get away from Europe’s legacy of Christendom. On the shores of North America, their purity spiral would be free to run rampant, and these men would be unencumbered in their ongoing quest to rarefy their interpretation of Christianity, to the point of becoming Judaic and, in later centuries, Zionist. Such is the legacy of Puritanism. (the witch burnings in Massachusetts were not done by Catholics)

Yet, when it comes to England’s celebration of Guy Fawkes Day, I do not think down-to-earth, red-blooded Catholics will be satisfied with the idea of Fawkes being a martyr for a permanently aggrieved status. That course of action is neither productive nor useful.

One other way to reflect upon and consider the public mind in regards to Guy Fawkes Day is to realize that the celebration of Fawkes’s demise is not, simply, a victory over terrorism. When the English burn effigies of Guy Fawkes and shoot off their fireworks, the general consensus is not a rejoicing of law and order over anarchy.

No, the celebration of Guy Fawkes Day has a distinctive anti-Catholic flavor about it. And really, its continued observance is an ongoing testament to anti-Catholic bigotry to this very day.

The English are not alone in celebrating such revolutionary benchmarks. The next most immediate holiday that comes to mind is Bastille Day in France, another occasion for fireworks that celebrates the bloody ouster of Christendom from public life – only Catholics probably call to mind the words “Reign of Terror.” Shortly after the storming of the Bastille, Catholic Frenchmen were torn apart in the streets, gunned down, and beheaded by guillotine. It was one of the most odious examples of anti-Christian hate in history, and the French celebrate this every year.
I have no issue with any of the above. Except for your last paragraph. I am descended from French Huguenot Christians who had to flee to Britain to escape the persecutions. The French revolution was against all Christianity, not just Catholic. Nor only Protestant.

On another note, what do you mean by and in what context are you referring...
Seventh Day Adventists have their own definition of a scholarly "documented source".

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hussites? Celtic Church in Britain? Waldensians? Lollards?
Uh huh - we were discussing YOUR idiotic charge that the Church was "Facist", based on another idiotic charge of "ultranationalism".

The latter refers to "Nations", and all of the European NATIONS were Catholic prior to the 16th century. We're not talking about renegade sects.
CONTEXT . . .