Denominations are us.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Acts 2.42 contains the pattern. The Lord knows what our circumstances are.
This explanation of fellowship in the original language is really good....
Acts 2:42 Commentaries: They were continually devoting themselves to the apostles' teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer.
Barnes notes on the Bible
And fellowship - The word rendered "fellowship," κοινωνία koinōnia, is often rendered "communion." It properly denotes "having things in common, or participation, society, friendship." It may apply to anything which may be possessed in common, or in which all may partake. Thus, all Christians have the same hope of heaven; the same joys; the same hatred of sin; the same enemies to contend with. Thus, they have the same subjects of conversation, of feeling, and of prayer; or they have communion in these things. And thus the early Christians had their property in common. The word here may apply to either or to all of these things to their conversation, their prayers, their dangers, or their property; and means that they were united to the apostles, and participated with them in whatever befell them. It may be added that the effect of a revival of religion is to unite Christians more and more, and to bring those who were before separated to union and love. Christians feel that they are a band of brethren, and that, however much they were separated before they became Christians, now they have great and important interests in common; they are united in feelings, in interests, in dangers, in conflicts, in opinions, and in the hopes of a blessed immortality.

Reactions: Hidden In Him

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“hymn sandwich”.

LoL. That's different. I'm not much on a steady diet of hymns, so I don't think I'd like a "hymn sandwich."
Apparently, you haven’t read 1 Cor. 12. NOT every gift of the Holy Spirit needs to be manifested at every gathering of the faithful.

Well of course I have. You wouldn't think I would have brought it up if I hadn't, would you? *chuckle*. Now about this contention, I didn't make the argument that every gift "needs" to be in manifestation at every gathering. The gifts manifested as they were needed. But they are just as needed today as they have ever been, maybe even more so - Prophecy and tongues, revelations and words of wisdom through the Spirit, healings, discerning of spirits, exorcism, all of it - and whenever Christian meetings are held. And yes, I'm aware of the Charismatic Renewal among Catholics, but it is not a great force in my area if it ever was to begin with. In my area we have several large cathedrals where Catholics congregate in big numbers every weekend, but the Charismatic Renewal meet in a beat up little trailer on the side of a road, LoL. So I was asking if they were manifesting at your meetings.
Besides – YOUR sitting at home segregated from the assembling of the faithful is condemned in the Bible. Your “Lone Ranger” brand of Christianity is found NOWHERE in Scripture.

Well this is where I came in. See, the reason I was asking if the gifts were in manifestation where you attend is this: I don’t look down on congregations that don’t operate in the supernatural gifts, and I certainly don’t go around ridiculing them for it. In fact, I rarely if ever even bring the subject up unless someone is discussing it already. But when those whose gatherings are not marked by manifestations of the supernatural gifts start holding others accountable for church attendance without holding themselves likewise accountable for following the true New Testament model, suddenly I do have a problem with it. It smacks of religious hypocrisy and a holier-than-thou attitude that's unwarranted and without basis.

And you seem to be doing the same thing to me now.

Btw, you still haven't answered my question, LoL. In case you intend on answering it directly, I would honestly like to know, so I will post it again. If you only attend mass when there are Charismatic meetings held in your area that you do not attend, my next question would be why?
If you will, please describe what the typical service in your church is like where manifestations of the supernatural gifts are concerned, in particular prophecy, tongues and interpretation, and miraculous healings. If they don't happen in typical services but have happened on occasion, describe how they occurred and when.

Last edited:

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
LoL. That's different. I'm not much on a steady diet of hymns, so I don't think I'd like a "hymn sandwich."

Well of course I have. You wouldn't think I would have brought it up if I hadn't, would you? *chuckle*. Now about this contention, I didn't make the argument that every gift "needs" to be in manifestation at every gathering. The gifts manifested as they were needed. But they are just as needed today as they have ever been, maybe even more so - Prophecy and tongues, revelations and words of wisdom through the Spirit, healings, discerning of spirits, exorcism, all of it - and whenever Christian meetings are held. And yes, I'm aware of the Charismatic Renewal among Catholics, but it is not a great force in my area if it ever was to begin with. In my area we have several large cathedrals where Catholics congregate in big numbers every weekend, but the Charismatic Renewal meet in a beat up little trailer on the side of a road, LoL. So I was asking if they were manifesting at your meetings.
I notice you guys do a LOT of "LOL-ing" when you respond nervously . . .

Sooooo – YOU believe that at EVERY Protestant service – people need to start babbling aloud in tongues and start prophesying over the words of the presiding minster? I’ve been to DOZENS of different denominational services and have NEVER witnessed this.

And how is sitting at home alone and divorcing oneself from the Body of Christ even remotely Scriptural??
THAT's the entire point of my original post - not whether YOUR denomination is better than the Catholic Church.
Well this is where I came in. See, the reason I was asking if the gifts were in manifestation where you attend is this: I don’t look down on congregations that don’t operate in the supernatural gifts, and I certainly don’t go around ridiculing them for it. In fact, I rarely if ever even bring the subject up unless someone is discussing it already. But when those whose gatherings are not marked by manifestations of the supernatural gifts start holding others accountable for church attendance without holding themselves likewise accountable for following the true New Testament model, suddenly I do have a problem with it. It smacks of religious hypocrisy and a holier-than-thou attitude that's unwarranted and without basis.

And you seem to be doing the same thing to me now.

Btw, you still haven't answered my question, LoL. In case you intend on answering it directly, I would honestly like to know, so I will post it again. If you only attend mass when there are Charismatic meetings held in your area that you do not attend, my next question would be why?
1 Cor. 12:28-31 addresses this.
Some people God has designated in the church to be, first, apostles; second, prophets; third, teachers; then, mighty deeds; then, gifts of healing, assistance, administration, and varieties of tongues.
Are ALL apostles? Are ALL prophets? Are ALL teachers? Do ALL work mighty deeds? Do ALL have gifts of healing? Do ALL speak in tongues? Do ALL interpret?
Strive eagerly for the greatest spiritual gifts.

I don’t HAVE to manifest ALL gifts. MY gifts are the gift of teaching and administration in Christ’s Church – and THAT is where I share my gifts. I teach regular classes at my parish and write apologetics articles for our parish website.

People who don’t understand the Scriptures sometimes get confused by assuming that unless they speak in tongues or prophesy – they aren’t indwelt with the Holy Spirit. This is pure ignorance of Scripture.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I notice you guys do a LOT of "LOL-ing" when you respond nervously . . .

No, no. That means I'm either laughing or smiling (inside). I get ticked off when I'm nervous, but thankfully that doesn't happen much any more. I've learned to be stronger than that. :)
Sooooo – YOU believe that at EVERY Protestant service – people need to start babbling aloud in tongues and start prophesying over the words of the presiding minster? I’ve been to DOZENS of different denominational services and have NEVER witnessed this.

Ha Ha! Of course not! But I view the whole concept of a presiding minister's sermon replacing the operation of the gifts in a service as a prostitution of original NT Christianity. It becomes a religion with no power in it, and then a church becomes more a "temple of God" in name only than in reality, at least not to any great extent anyway.
THAT's the entire point of my original post - not whether YOUR denomination is better than the Catholic Church.

This wasn't my point either, Bread Of Life. Not my point at all. I'm not some vehement anti-Catholic, nor have I even mentioned my denomination yet, which should tell you something. It's about countering the claim that people who do not attend church are to be condemned by those who presuppose that everything they are doing is right according to scripture. I find it hypocritical.
I don’t HAVE to manifest ALL gifts.

I wasn't talking about you. I was asking about the congregation you are a part of.
People who don’t understand the Scriptures sometimes get confused by assuming that unless they speak in tongues or prophesy – they aren’t indwelt with the Holy Spirit. This is pure ignorance of Scripture.

I agree. That's not what I was talking about either.

Oh, well. I can tell this conversation's not going anywhere at this point, so I guess I'll bounce out.

Blessings in Christ, and thanks for the responses.
Hidden In Him

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, no. That means I'm either laughing or smiling (inside). I get ticked off when I'm nervous, but thankfully that doesn't happen much any more. I've learned to be stronger than that. :)

Ha Ha! Of course not! But I view the whole concept of a presiding minister's sermon replacing the operation of the gifts in a service as a prostitution of original NT Christianity. It becomes a religion with no power in it, and then a church becomes more a "temple of God" in name only than in reality, at least not to any great extent anyway.

This wasn't my point either, Bread Of Life. Not my point at all. I'm not some vehement anti-Catholic, nor have I even mentioned my denomination yet, which should tell you something. It's about countering the claim that people who do not attend church are to be condemned by those who presuppose that everything they are doing is right according to scripture. I find it hypocritical.

I wasn't talking about you. I was asking about the congregation you are a part of.

I agree. That's not what I was talking about either.
Oh, well. I can tell this conversation's not going anywhere at this point, so I guess I'll bounce out.

Blessings in Christ, and thanks for the responses.
Hidden In Him
The congregation I’m part of is just a small part of Christ’s Church.
Not sure how you know about MY congregation.

By the way – I never “condemned” anybody for divorcing themselves from the Church.
Scripture does . . .

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
By the way – I never “condemned” anybody for divorcing themselves from the Church.
Scripture does . . .

You just reversed the discussion entirely back to square one, LoL.

That's why I was ASKING YOU, BreadOfLife! :rolleyes: Here. Here's a face palm you might like. :)

f45ea354ae58e7a5073d8ccebf9bcdcf.jpg

Gotta move on, Man. Thanks for the conversation.

Rollo Tamasi

Aug 28, 2017
Inverness, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Scripture does . . .
I know about your church.
You worship Mary instead of Jesus.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So no one wants to reveal what denomination they are.
I thought they'd be proud of it.
I can't get away from it.
After 33 1/2 years, I'm back to the Baptist church again.
I came to realize there is really not much wrong with Baptist doctrine compared to some of the other denominations, but the big problem is the ability of people to move up in the church and make it the way they want it to be, regardless of what Scripture says, which most of them don't know anyway.
So if I had to say I was a denomination, and I would really hate to do that, but I guess I am in more agreement and fellowship with Southern Baptists more than any other.

And don't ask me all them Southern Baptist Convention rules either, because I only know some of them.
Besides, following Southern Convention Rules is only an option for Southern Baptist churches, that why so many variations.

I go to the Cowboy church, and there are many of them in the South.
It is based on Southern Baptist.
They share a church with The Shepherd's way, a Southern Baptist church.
My buddy is pastor of both, that's why I came along with him, and he has told both groups many times that he is not a Southern Baptist and he won't run it like a Baptist church.
They play Cowboy Music 3 times a week, and they preach the Gospel of Jesus Christ to get people saved.
Then we hope they will stay so we can disciple them to be strong Christians.

Good church, and we as a group agree on what needs to be done.

How about your denomination?
Good bad or ugly, and what difference can you make to them be better.
Attended a few different Protestant denominational churches over the years. My spouses father even built a church because he had the money to and felt the call.

I don't belong to a denomination any more. I finally found The Church that is spoken of in Scripture.

To answer the question, "What difference can I make to make them better": I am more of a pray in quit type person. I don't get involved in the events at the church. I volunteer my time in the community and give money to charitable causes that I believe do a great job.

Mary