Denominations that teach only they will be saved

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Christianity​

Further information: Christianity and other religions
Some Christians[3] have argued that religious pluralism is an invalid or self-contradictory concept. Maximal forms of religious pluralism claim that all religions are equally true, or that one religion can be true for some and another for others. Most Christians hold this idea to be logically impossible from the Principle of contradiction.[4] The two largest Christian branches, the Catholic Church and the Eastern Orthodox Church, both claim to be the "one true church" and that "outside the true Church there is no salvation"; Protestantism however, which has many different denominations, has no consistent doctrine in this regard, and has a variety of different positions regarding religious pluralism.

A number of Christian denominationsassert that they alone represent the one true church – the church to which Jesus gave his authority in the Great Commission. The Catholic Church, the Eastern Orthodox Church, the Oriental Orthodox communion and the Assyrian Church of the East each understands itself as the one and only original church. The claim to the title of the "one true church" relates to the first of the Four Marks of the Churchmentioned in the Nicene Creed: "one, holy, catholic, and apostolic church". The concept of schism somewhat moderates the competing claims between some churches – one can potentially repair schism. For example, the Catholic and Eastern Orthodox Churches each regard the other as schismatic rather than heretical.[5]

Similarly, a number of groups, such as the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church), view apostolic succession as an essential element in constituting the one true church, arguing that it has inherited the spiritual, ecclesiastical and sacramentalauthority and responsibility that Jesus Christ gave to the Apostles. Other groups, such as Iglesia ni Cristo, believe in a last-messenger doctrine, where no such succession takes place.[citation needed] A few believe they have restored the original church, in belief or in practice. The Seventh-day Adventist Church is regarded to be the one true church in the sense of being a faithful remnant.[citation needed]

Many mainstream Protestants regard all baptized Christians as members of a "spiritual Christian Church" which is not visible or institutional; this belief is sometimes referred to by the theological term "invisible church". Some other Christians, such as Anglicans of Anglo-Catholicchurchmanship, espouse a version of branch theory which teaches that the true Christian Church comprises Anglican, Eastern Orthodox, Old Catholic, Oriental Orthodox, Scandinavian Lutheran, and Roman Catholic branches

Reactions: Nancy

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
True. If you devote your life to something it stands to reason that you think it’s right.
I take it as a given that every one beliefs their religious beliefs are correct.

What bother's me is the broad net that other beliefs necessarily mean one is condemned/damned/can't be saved/not born again or whatever term you want to use. I try to interpret Scripture very narrowly on who it states will not be saved. For Christians, I refer to Romans 10:9. For non-Christians, I refer to Romans 2.

Last April my SIL died suddenly. Her husband (a KJV guy) fear for her sould as she was an atheist. I relied on Romans 2 to bring a grieving husband comfort of God's mercy.

Perhaps it hinges on SHALL v may be. Just because someone does not do what SHALL save them, does not logically mean NOT doing it is automatic damnation. For instance, if I eat nutritious food, I SHALL be nourished. If I eat foot that may or may not be nutritious, the effect is uncertain. The effect is not certain non-nourished condition.

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Only Jehovah's Witnesses, those of the anointed remnant and the "great crowd," as a united organization under the protection of the Supreme Organizer, have any Scriptural hope of surviving the impending end of this doomed system dominated by Satan the Devil." Watchtower1989 Sep 1 p.19
"In fact, with God's day of judgment so near today, all the world should 'keep silent before the Sovereign Lord Jehovah' and hear what he says through the "little flock" of Jesus' anointed followers and their companions, his "other sheep." (Luke 12:32; John 10:16) Annihilation awaits all who will not listen and who thereby set themselves against rule by God's Kingdom." Watchtower 2001 Feb 15 p. 14

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Perhaps it hinges on SHALL v may be
Certainly sounds Biblically 'right' to me, anyway, for At HIS Righteous Judgment of me
(a believer):

"Now he that planteth and he that watereth are one: and every man Shall Receive
his
own reward according to his own labour. For we are labourers together with God:
ye are God's husbandry, ye are God's building.

According to The Grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have
laid The Foundation, and another buildeth Thereon. But let every man take heed how
he buildeth Thereupon
. For other foundation can no man lay than That is laid, Which
Is Jesus Christ.

Now IF any man build upon This Foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood,
hay, stubble; Every man's work Shall Be Made Manifest: for The Day Shall Declare
it, because it Shall Be Revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of
what sort it is.

If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he Shall Receive a reward.

If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: BUT he himself Shall Be Saved;
yet so as by fire." (1Co 3:8-15)

You did mention Shall Be, Correct? How about HIS Righteous Judgment Of Unbelievers?:

Rightly Divided (2 Timothy 2:15) From “Things That Differ” (online)

Rev 20:11-15 "And I saw a Great White Throne, and Him that sat on it,​
from Whose Face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was​
found no place for them. And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before​
God (The LORD Jesus [not an archangel]); and the books were opened: and​
another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were Judged
out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.​
And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered​
up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according​
to their works. And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the​
second death. And whosoever was not found written in the book of life​
was cast into the lake of fire."​

...= Shall Be, or may be?

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
None of the traditional denominations can lay claim to being the one true Church, to do so is heretical.

There is and has only ever been one true Church; the church which can only be entered through the narrow gate; the Church that Jesus talked about – his bride. The biblical Church, which is made up only of those who are Born Again believers from whatever church background, or none, worldwide, past , present and future. Those who through the revelation of the Holy Spirit have seen Jesus for who he is, recognised what he did, turned from their sin and accepted him into their hearts and lives as Lord and Saviour. Anybody who hasn’t taken these steps towards him and made that commitment is not, in my view, part of the biblical meaning of Church. And in my experience many church-goers and even priests clergy fall outside these criteria.

Last edited:

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
-
Its human nature to want to be led.
You've noticed that you'll be in your car coming to a Red Light, and there are 2 lanes, and 20 cars are in the left lane, and 3 are in the right lane.
There is a reason for that...
There is a reason that Jesus is the Good Shepherd who laid His life down for the sheep...

There is a reason that you read Bible parables about SHEEP.

Cult's take advantage of this inbuilt "Herded Sheep" psychology that is inside you, and what they do is create the false idea that "our church" has the Truth. "our denomination has the exclusive gifts, teachings, revelation"....etc, etc, and in this way they entice your flesh, and LEAD YOU into their web.

Here is something to know....

There are no Catholics in Heaven.
There are no Baptists in Heaven
No Lutherans, no Bereans, no Methodists, no Presbyterians, ..

There are NO DENOMINATiONS in HEAVEN, as denominations are man made on earth, and the Body of Christ, the True Church, the BRIDE< is God made, through Christ in the SPIRIT.

Here is how to know if you are denominationalized, or not..

Reader, .... if i met you tomorrow and asked you....>"are you a Christian"......and you immediately said..

"im a Catholic"
"im a Calvinist"
"Im a Methodist'
"im a insert your denominational mind set in this space"......

See that?

You are not that........
if you are born again.
That is the wrong answer you just gave me.

The answer to the question...>"are you a Christian", is not to say....."im a Denomination"..........but rather you should just say..."YES".

So, do you see the problem as you didn't say yes, at first.... ah ha...???????????
Is that you??

Now, is the local body in a building on the corner a good thing?
Yes....It can be a life saver. It can be the best thing you ever did for your family....which is to involve them in a local body, for life.
Get planted in a Local Church and grow.

But, it can be a mind bending cult that ruins your family and you. that you thought was real, and true and of God and isn't.

So, you have to learn how to KNOW the false so that you can then engage the Real = as if not, a cult will get you and keep you.
If you read what i teach, then for your own good you have discovered that i am always on you about this, reader, as you have to be brought to the place in your spiritual discernment, where you HEAR and READ the false, and recognize the deceivers instantly , or they will ruin your Christianity, for life.

Reactions: RLT63

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
None of the traditional denominations can lay claim to being the one true Church, to do so is heretical.

I believe that there is and has only ever been one true Church; the church which can only be entered through the narrow gate; the Church that Jesus talked about – his bride. The biblical Church, which is made up only of those who are Born Again believers from whatever church background, or none, worldwide, past , present and future. Those who through the revelation of the Holy Spirit have seen Jesus for who he is, recognised what he did, turned from their sin and accepted him into their hearts and lives as Lord and Saviour. Anybody who hasn’t taken these steps towards him and made that commitment is not, in my view, part of the biblical meaning of Church. And in my experience many church-goers and even priests clergy fall outside these criteria.
I agree with you but there are many on this forum who think their denomination is the one true Church.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are not that........ if you are born again.
That is the wrong answer you just gave me.
Can’t agree. I’ve made the point in several threads now that we are many things, not just one thing.

I’m a worker, father, husband, son, neighbor, worker, tennis player, etc. There is not one correct answer to what I am.

Reactions: Nancy

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can’t agree. I’ve made the point in several threads now that we are many things, not just one thing.

I’m a worker, father, husband, son, neighbor, worker, tennis player, etc. There is not one correct answer to what I am.
The denomination I would claim doesn’t match the Church I go to.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree with you but there are many on this forum who think their denomination is the one true Church.

The ONE TRUE CHURCH, has nothing to do with man-made brick and mortar, stick and frame, or a Name engraved on a building.

The ONE TRUE CHURCH, is With-IN a man who is IN Christ.

The Apostles had just learned, via Jesus asking Who He is, via God telling Simon Barjona, via Simon Orally speaking what God told him, via the Apostles hearing, via the Apostles agreeing.....that Jesus IS the Christ....

AND....Jesus responding upon THAT ROCK...CHRIST....Jesus said He would BUILD “HIS CHURCH” ...

Matt 16:
[18] And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

What is this ROCK Jesus is building His CHURCH UPON?
OT men knew...

Deut 32;
[4] He is the Rock, his work is perfect: for all his ways are judgment: a God of truth and without iniquity, just and right is he.

[15] But Jeshurun waxed fat, and kicked: thou art waxen fat, thou art grown thick, thou art covered with fatness; then he forsook God which made him, and lightly esteemed the Rock of his salvation.

Gods True word and Gods Rock of Salvation...
IS the ROCK, IS the Christ of Jesus’ Church.

Glory to God,

Taken

Reactions: Rita

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
All denominations believe this. Or at least believe that they are all on the right track (even the ones who have gone apostate). But it is the Catholic Church which believes that is the one true Church.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Oh I know! And you can tell them the truth but they don't want to know. I think God will deal with them justly because they have been led astray by generations of preachers teaching a different gospel.

Reactions: L.A.M.B.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Beware of any denomination that claims ONLY their church is the TRUE church and if you are not a member of THEIR church then you won't be saved. The Church, the body of Christ (Colossians 1:18, 24) is made up of ALL genuine born again believers/Christians, and is not simply a church building with a name stamped on the front of it.