DeSantis signs law ensuring that students can pray before sporting events

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To me, prayer is given so that we may ask our Heavenly Father for wisdom and foresight when making important choices in life. Those choices can impact on our lives in a positive or negative way, so asking for guidance from his word is always a good idea.....but prayer for the outcome of a sporting match mocks the sanctity of it.

We live in a very different world today than in times past when people relied on a college education to secure a permanent job. The obsession with degrees has overtaken the demand for the jobs they can fill, which is why we see so many university educated young men and women waiting on tables, bar tending and holding down other jobs for which they are way overqualified. In this dog eat dog world, scholarships are not the be all and end all of a person’s ability to earn a living....and that is the important thing....no one has the right to ask God for a lifestyle.....as Paul said...

“To be sure, there is great gain in godly devotion along with contentment. 7 For we have brought nothing into the world, and neither can we carry anything out. 8 So, having food and clothing, we will be content with these things.
9 But those who are determined to be rich fall into temptation and a snare and many senseless and harmful desires that plunge men into destruction and ruin. 10 For the love of money is a root of all sorts of injurious things, and by reaching out for this love some have been led astray from the faith and have stabbed themselves all over with many pains.”
(1 Tim 6:6-10)

For a Christian, Jesus was our model...humble and not materialistic, raised by poor parents who worked hard to provide for their family. They put the worship of God first in their lives and understood the folly of endlessly chasing after material things.
In the Lord’s Prayer, Jesus showed us the appropriate things to pray for.....
He said, “pray this way”....
“Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed by thy name, thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil.....”

All of the first and most important things were about God and his name, his will, and the coming of his kingdom, prayer for daily necessities was down on the list. Forgiveness for the things we have done wrong is dependent upon our forgiving others. And to help us to identify temptations from the devil so as to act wisely....all these are the things to pray for.

The world does not promote contentment with life’s necessities....it promotes the love of money and discontent with everything if it’s not the latest and best....an endless treadmill of wants, not needs.

When Jesus prayed, it was about important things, not viewing God as some kind of a genie who grants wishes....especially if it’s for self aggrandisement.

I don't disagree with the scriptures. I hope that is understood.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I never understood all the 'hubbub' about praying in schools. A Christian can pray any time he / she wants.

Matthew 6
6 But you, when you pray, go into your room, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly.

TinMan

Mar 26, 2023
Michigan Saginaw
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There were no "conditions" forbidding prayer with his players before a game.
Actually there are conditions relating to the advocation of any religion in school and school sponsored events as well as conditions about coercing students to engage in religious activity.

Rockerduck

Nov 7, 2022
Marietta, Georgia.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Acts 16:25 - But at midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God, and the prisoners were listening to them.

All born again Christians are missionaries to spread the Gospel in this life, do not believe otherwise.

Mark 16:15 - And He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature.

I say a prayer before eating in restaurants, and I know others are listening.

Matthew 25:14-15 ;
For the kingdom of heaven is as a man travelling into a far country, who called His own servants, and delivered unto them his goods.

15 And unto one he gave five talents, to another two, and to another one; to every man according to his ability; and straightway took his journey.

When Jesus comes back, what crowns will you have?

2 Timothy 4:8 - Finally, there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give to me on that Day, and not to me only but also to all who have loved His appearing.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I don't disagree with the scriptures. I hope that is understood.
The scriptures give us laws and principles that can guide us in all that we do....prayer is a precious privilege that should not be abused in the manner that we see it abused by many.
God answers prayers of the faithful in his own way and time, so to ask specifically for an illness to be cured, or for the outcome of a situation to go one way or another (like a sporting match) is to go beyond what God has promised. He will strengthen us to endure trials, but he will not make the problems or trials go away, or alter the outcome of a situation just because we ask him. If this is the case in serious matters, then where does this leave prayers to win sporting matches?
Jesus taught us what to pray for...in order of importance.

Satan wants us to believe that God, because he is so powerful, will make the result of a given situation, go in our favor if we ask him....and when it doesn’t happen, people can then question God’s existence or his care for his worshippers. Who told us that God hears frivolous prayers just to make us feel good?

If we don’t understand why we are living in this world alienated from God in so many ways, then we are ripe for satan and his cronies to pull ‘the rug of faith’ out from underneath us. The deceiver never rests and as his days are numbered, his activities are heightened and more bold in their threats to humanity itself.
We are living at a unique time in history, the “time of the end”.....so if we are focusing on the wrong things, we will miss the purpose of this whole exercise.

Praying for wisdom in making our spiritual decisions should be our focus......”playing” sports have no place in this. “Playing” is what we do for recreation. What does God have to do with that? :stageright:

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Aunty Jane I have a different view. Many faithful Christians were successful in sports which gave them a bigger platform through which to spread God's word. Have you considered the probability that God uses athletes to further his own agenda? Sometimes athletes serve God through sports.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@Aunty Jane I have a different view. Many faithful Christians were successful in sports which gave them a bigger platform through which to spread God's word.
Do we need a 'bigger platform' than what Jesus and his apostles had? If someone is going to come to Christ and respond to his kingdom message, then it wouldn't matter if the one who introduced them was a sports star or a garbage collector....God would "draw" them if he saw an honest heart. (John 6:44) A person's social or educational status carries no weight with God.
Many of the educated Jews rejected the apostles on the grounds of their lack of formal education....(Acts 4:13) Jesus too. (Acts 7:14-15)
So who missed out on the opportunity for kingdom rulership....? Jesus and the apostles?....or the Jews who expected their Messiah to be more impressive?
Have you considered the probability that God uses athletes to further his own agenda? Sometimes athletes serve God through sports.
No, not really. A 'celebrity' (of any kind) is not needed to promote God's truth.....in fact, a celebrity who gave up his fame, fortune and career to serve God would be a better witness IMO. Many in my own brotherhood have done so, with no regrets. Serving God and their brothers was much more satisfying than serving themselves and enjoying their own popularity.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Professional athletes are generally AntiChrist.

bluedragon

Aug 7, 2021
Birmingham, Al
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The only petty local tyrant is DeSantis! One scary dude!

Read the Constitution of the United States before proving what little you actually know.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;

Exactly where, in that statement does it allow Congress or a local government to dictate how and where the religion can be practiced ....

You and Tinman need to read a lot more ......Instead of acting like you understand.

He not only won in the end ......He sued the hell out of them as well.

Last edited:

TinMan

Mar 26, 2023
Michigan Saginaw
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Read the Constitution of the United States before proving what little you actually know.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;

Exactly where, in that statement does it allow Congress or a local government to dictate how and where the religion can be practiced ....

You and Tinman need to read a lot more ......Instead of acting like you understand.

He not only won in the end ......He sued the hell out of them as well.
In Engel v. Vitale, (1962), the Supreme Court ruled that school-sponsored prayer in public schools violated the establishment clause of the First Amendment.

Reactions: Stan B

bluedragon

Aug 7, 2021
Birmingham, Al
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In Engel v. Vitale, (1962), the Supreme Court ruled that school-sponsored prayer in public schools violated the establishment clause of the First Amendment.

Have you read the decision or simply make this up as you go along?

One would surmise that with the recent decision concerning abortion ......you might try to remember that past decisions by the Supreme Court can and will be changed. Unfortunatley ......short term memory loss is a curse to some

Read what the decision you refer to entails. "SCHOOL Sponsored Prayer" I realize that is a challenge to you to understand ... compare that decison with this one.

AT NO TIME WAS THIS A SCHOOL SPONSORED PRAYER IN PUBLIC.

Now read the decision and why the Coach won his challenge .....Then do a more through study before you offer trash as a challenge ....

Like I said "Troll"

bluedragon

Aug 7, 2021
Birmingham, Al
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
DeSantis is forcing HIS religion upon everyone else! He completely snubs the Constitutional FREEDOM guarantees.

No, he is not......Where does it say that only Chrisitans can pray before and after youth and High School Games. Where does it say that only Muslims can pray before and after High School games? Where does it say that Scientologists can only pray?

There is no snub of Constitutional or freedom guarantees .....The snub is with Athiests in the Government impossing their will and denying those freedoms ...... You go a long way to protect the Government when the Constitution was written to protect the citizens from the government.

If this election goes as it appears to be going .....I see the possibiity of a massive lawsuit against the State and Federal Government in their actions during COVID. I could give a rip about excuses of trying to protect the people ......The State and Federal Government abused the rights of the citizens of this country ......I could care less that Trudea gets away with it in Canada .....You guys messed up and didn't consider a Bill of Rights when your Constitution was written .....after all .....you had a King to worship at the time ...And He wasn't God ....

bluedragon

Aug 7, 2021
Birmingham, Al
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I's ask for evidence but you never produce any

the national Anthem isn't a prayer.

Your kind goes to great lengths to stop freedom .......then offers trash as a responce in return ...You still don't understand the Decision of the supreme Court over the Coach and his prayer ....and still have no idea why the court sided with the Satanists ,,,,,

In 1962, the practice was stand for the Pledge of Allegence and a word of prayer .....Some by the teacher, some by the PA system of the school. That projected forced attendence ws deemed Government sponsorship of forced participation .....

2023 .....what makes you legal scholars who have not read either caseor decision ....come to the conclusion that today's examples are forced prayer of any kind?

Spouting off with no supporting basis whatsoever .....

Especially the Canadian ....

bluedragon

Aug 7, 2021
Birmingham, Al
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can't read can you? You have a list of the culprits ....most likely on your tax return under donations.....

You have a hard time reading .....The Desantis Bill specifically says "CAN" Pray ........no where does it tell anyone they have to pray ......but it gives you something to gripe about ...