Did Charismatic movement injure Church?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jlentz

May 6, 2021
Usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I say yes what with fake healings,false prophecy, speaking things into existence, send me 5 dollars and God will give you 500.
All kinds of nonsense....but that's my belief.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I say yes what with fake healings,false prophecy, speaking things into existence, send me 5 dollars and God will give you 500.

I don't get into what other people do. I don't even watch Christian TV much because of those things.

I am just thankful that God has baptized me with His Spirit and given me gifts I never had before. The most common one in me is the ability to hear His voice. I never pray my own will, but must always wait for Him to tell me what to pray; I pray His words, and receive the answer to the prayer.

Jlentz

May 6, 2021
Usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't get into what other people do. I don't even watch Christian TV much because of those things.

I am just thankful that God has baptized me with His Spirit and given me gifts I never had before. The most common one in me is the ability to hear His voice. I never pray my own will, but must always wait for Him to tell me what to pray; I pray His words, and receive the answer to the prayer.
??? You wait for Him to tell you what to pray? I don't understand.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
??? You wait for Him to tell you what to pray? I don't understand.

I remember once when I was traveling alone between Illinois and Arizona and had been having car trouble off and on for months, a strange grinding noise, but my mechanic could never find it as it never happened when he test drove my van. I was driving up a long steep grade, 30 miles outside Oklahoma City on Interstate 40, and all of a sudden there was that grinding sound again coming from underneath of my vehicle, but now louder than ever! I could feel the vibrations with my feet. Instantly I heard God whisper to pray John 15:7. "If you abide in Me and My words abide in you, you may ask what you will and it will be done for you." Ask for a "Ford dealership." So I prayed, Lord I am abiding in You, and Your words do abide in me so I ask for a Ford dealership right now! Just after I crested the hill, there was an off ramp, and a Ford dealership at the bottom of it, out in the middle of nowhere.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think that dealership would be there regardless. Other people did business there.

Oh my, is that all you can say? For 44 years, every prayer I pray gets answered, because I wait on Him. 100%

Why did they build there out in the middle of no where. Could it be because God knew I would need it exactly when I did? Are you not going to give our God credit? Was it just fate???

Don't be lukewarm in your faith and discernment of how great our God is. You may not like Charismatics, but God does, because most of us are HOT!!! And we see miracles because of it. Not everyone is a con artist.

Last edited:

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
And you are entitled to it. :)

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
In many ways, I believe so.

Reactions: Jlentz

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think that dealership would be there regardless. Other people did business there.
Probably beforehand @CharismaticLady was unaware that the dealership was there. She also was not expecting or planning for her car to have trouble. She
had simply learned to trust God. Is God not trustworthy?

Was not the dealership and their ability to fix the problem the substance of her hope even though she was unable to see it beforehand with the human eye?

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." Heb 11:1

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Have it your way. The way you talk you can walk on water. Why didn't you just tell the car to fix itself. You're perfect.
Are not believers in the Lord and His Way walking on water today? Before Peter received the gift of the Holy Ghost, he walked on water!

Consider the water he walked on and consider the water that Jesus has for those who ask of him!

Reactions: Azim and Mayflower

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Probably beforehand @CharismaticLady was unaware that the dealership was there. She also was not expecting or planning for her car to have trouble. She
had simply learned to trust God. Is God not trustworthy?

Was not the dealership and their ability to fix the problem the substance of her hope even though she was unable to see it beforehand with the human eye?

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." Heb 11:1

You are a man of faith, and very kind. Thank you. You understand our God and have learned His ways.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The big question here is, what is a Charismatic? How do we define a person who is a Charismatic?

Someone of any denomination that has the gifts of the Holy Spirit. It is not a denomination, anymore than a Christian is a denomination. Its a catch-all title for the Spirit-filled who operate in the gifts. The opposite catch-all phrase would be a Cessationist who has no faith in such powers.

Paul Christensen

Mar 2, 2020
Christchurch
www.personal-communication.org.nz
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Someone of any denomination that has the gifts of the Holy Spirit. It is not a denomination, anymore than a Christian is a denomination. Its a catch-all title for the Spirit-filled who operate in the gifts. The opposite catch-all phrase would be a Cessationist who has no faith in such powers.
I agree. There are churches that have the gifts of the Spirit with members who never use them. There are other churches that don't advertise the gifts of the Spirit, but have members who believe in the gifts and desire to have them manifested. Even in churches that teach cessation of the gifts have members who believe in the gifts of the Spirit for today.

This is because the church one goes to does not define who is to believe in and has the gifts of the Spirit available to them. I believe that even in John MacArthur's church there are those who believe in the present day manifestation of the gifts, and I wouldn't be surprised if they prayed in tongues in their private prayer times, although they would know they would attract a lot of flak and possibly be required to leave Grace church if it was revealed that they used the gift of tongues even in private prayer.

Reactions: amadeus

Rita

Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Many years ago I remember hearing some teaching on the gifts. The preacher relayed that many misuse the gifts because the power goes to their heads. We have a responsibility with how we use gifts that are given to us. Many went on to use them for self gain, manipulation ect. It does not mean that every single person allows that to happen in their lives, many use the gifts responsibly
Don’t throw the baby out with the bath water.......
The other side of the coin is that those rejecting the gifts have actually created division which has ultimately weakened the church. The Spiritual gifts can be utilised in the battle and can greatly enhance the effectiveness of a group of people. Throw out the gifts and you throw out something that is valuable, work with and alongside people with the gifts ( when used in the right way and not to pump up ego but to seek God first, and you have a stronger group of Christians. )

Sadly many with the gifts have equally created barriers by presuming they are special and elite, they equally need to grasp that everyone has a role to play in the kingdom. God decides who has what, when and why......instead we spend so much time bickering about it all that, like the issues between denominations, merely serves to divide and conquer and gives the enemy the upper hand.
Rita

Paul Christensen

Mar 2, 2020
Christchurch
www.personal-communication.org.nz
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Many years ago I remember hearing some teaching on the gifts. The preacher relayed that many misuse the gifts because the power goes to their heads. We have a responsibility with how we use gifts that are given to us. Many went on to use them for self gain, manipulation ect. It does not mean that every single person allows that to happen in their lives, many use the gifts responsibly
Don’t throw the baby out with the bath water.......
The other side of the coin is that those rejecting the gifts have actually created division which has ultimately weakened the church. The Spiritual gifts can be utilised in the battle and can greatly enhance the effectiveness of a group of people. Throw out the gifts and you throw out something that is valuable, work with and alongside people with the gifts ( when used in the right way and not to pump up ego but to seek God first, and you have a stronger group of Christians. )

Sadly many with the gifts have equally created barriers by presuming they are special and elite, they equally need to grasp that everyone has a role to play in the kingdom. God decides who has what, when and why......instead we spend so much time bickering about it all that, like the issues between denominations, merely serves to divide and conquer and gives the enemy the upper hand.
Rita
I agree. The gifts of the Spirit are given to the body of Christ, in the same manner as a company car belongs to the company and employees have the use of the car as the manager directs. When I worked for the District Court and needed a car to go to another court to do my job, I couldn't just go to the garage and take a car. I had to get permission from the manager, know which car to use, and fill in the log book to record where I was going, and how many kilometres.

It is the same with the gifts of the Spirit. They belong to the Holy Spirit for the use of those who have ministries in the church. The Holy Spirit decides who is going to manifest which gift, and He is no respecter of persons. If a person says that he owns a spiritual gift, then what he is manifesting is false and not in the Spirit. The genuine person who manifests a gift of the Spirit knows that it is the Holy Spirit working through him and knows it is not because he is a special person who deserves the gift, but that the Holy Spirit has decided that he is the must suitable person to manifest that gift. He may manifest that gift only once and never again, but the next time the Holy Spirit wants to use him, he may manifest a totally different gift.

In my younger days in an AOG church, there were those who claimed to have almost the whole nine gifts operating through them, and others were trying to collect gifts as a stamp collector collects stamps. Such people are puffed up with pride and the gifts they claim are manifestations of the flesh and not of the Spirit.

The true manifestation of the gifts humbles a believer and leaves him or her in awe that the power of the Holy Spirit moved through them to accomplish His will in the fellowship of believers.