Did Christians invent the Trinity-2

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
That's why I missed it. I know it doesn't say God the Son anywhere in the Bible that I know of.

Jesus isn’t called “God the Son” in scripture. He is called the Son of God in scripture.

You call him God the Son, don’t you?

You speak about him in a way which scripture doesn’t. You speak about him in the way that binitarianism and trinitarianism speaks about him.

When I was a trinitarian, I would have understood “God the Son” and “the Son of God” to be synonymous phrases. I didn’t know then what you know now - one of the phrases is biblical in origin and the other phrase is post-biblical in origin.

In my trinitarian days, I would have read the intentional mistranslation (“God the Son”) and never given it a second thought - I would have been reading with and through a much later theology, a theology which isn’t the theology of the biblical time frame, an alien theology, and never realized it.

I would have believed things about Jesus which no one living in biblical times did.

Does it matter?

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
“Does it matter?”

That’s what I asked myself once I became aware that I believed things which no one living in biblical times believed. I eventually decided that it does. The Church helped me make that decision.

I ask others the question now - 4 decades after asking and answering the question myself - and the response I receive most often - “No, it doesn’t matter” - isn’t an echo of the Church which taught me that it does.

Dr. Harold O.J. Brown (trinitarian) heard the same echo I (a Jewish unitary monotheist) hear and he poured out his life, as I’m pouring out mine, to sound the alarm.

Dr. Brown talked to the wind. So do I.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
As with most Bible reading plans, this one may be used with any translation the reader desires to use.

Yesterday’s readings following the plan were: 1 Chronicles 11; Ezekiel 24; Luke 21.

Today’s readings following the plan is: 1 Chronicles 12; Ezekiel 25; Luke 22.

Tomorrow’s readings following the plan will be: 1 Chronicles 13 & 14; Ezekiel 26; Luke 23.

Once through the Old Testament and twice through the New Testament with this plan.

An experiment from a selection in today’s reading; first with NASB95 -

“And they all said, ‘Are You the Son of God, then?’ And He said to them, ‘Yes, I am.”

(Luke 22:70)

Then with something else -

“‘And they all said, ‘Are you God the Son, then?’ And he said to them, ‘Yes, I AM.’”

(Luke 22:70)

Any complaints, trinitarians? Did I do right by you?

How about you @RLT63?

P.S.

For anyone interested in seeing what the full reading plan looks like, here’s a link to it.

Bible Reading Plan

The experiment was, by design, subtle. Not to repeat the experiment but to make my intentional mistranslation less subtle and more visible:

“And they all said, ‘Are you the second person of the Trinity, then?’ And he said to them, ‘Yes, I am.’”

(Luke 22:70, IMV - Intentionally Mistranslated Version)

They didn’t ask the question and he didn’t make the claim. The Church much, much later made the claim for him.

Did the Church get it right?

Does it matter?

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
It takes one to Know the Holy Spirit to truly understand the Trinity.

Not to mention some people who make claims of the Trinity are not about the Trinity at all but that such is just another bastardisation of the true Trinity. I seen this bastardisation of the Trinity handed out years ago by the JW watchtower, such was just pathetic ! total bastardisation and a work of Satan directly as soon as I seen it !

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Did Christians invent the Trinity? The OP says no.

The source of the Trinity, we were asked to believe, is Judaism, not Christianity. The Rabbis were trinitarians.

The Rabbis were trinitarians?

Only one trinitarian stepped forward to point out the absurdity. Why didn’t others?

Does it matter? There’s that question again.

Does it matter?

How many trinitarians does it take to challenge the absurd assertion made in the OP?

One. Only one.

Church history.

Does it matter?

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
“A person who doesn’t know history is [a person] easily misled.” - Mr. Fanning, my 9th Grade History teacher

I thought then, and still think now, that he was right. Was he?

Does it matter?

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus isn’t called “God the Son” in scripture. He is called the Son of God in scripture.

You call him God the Son, don’t you?

You speak about him in a way which scripture doesn’t. You speak about him in the way that binitarianism and trinitarianism speaks about him.

When I was a trinitarian, I would have understood “God the Son” and “the Son of God” to be synonymous phrases. I didn’t know then what you know now - one of the phrases is biblical in origin and the other phrase is post-biblical in origin.

In my trinitarian days, I would have read the intentional mistranslation (“God the Son”) and never given it a second thought - I would have been reading with and through a much later theology, a theology which isn’t the theology of the biblical time frame, an alien theology, and never realized it.

I would have believed things about Jesus which no one living in biblical times did.

Does it matter?
I think John believed what I believe.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
“and let us bring back the ark of our [Trinity] to us, for we did not seek it in the days of Saul.”

(1 Chronicles 13:3)

David the trinitarian. Can I get a witness?

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“and let us bring back the ark of our [Trinity] to us, for we did not seek it in the days of Saul.”

(1 Chronicles 13:3)

David the trinitarian. Can I get a witness?
Genesis 1:26 God said Let us make a man in our image. Moses the Trinitarian?

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
What does it mean that Jesus is Lord?

First, back to Moses.

Does Moses meet the criteria presented in post #179?

btw, McGrath’s book arrived in the mail this morning. You’re the first to know. I haven’t even told my wife yet. (She’s still agitated over the books I’ve been taking out of storage while I search for the Lockman Foundation document.)

Status
Not open for further replies.