Did God forsake Jesus on the cross?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Does God leaving his son make people feel a certain way?

There are birds who drop off eggs in other birds nest and leave them there to be took care off.

Does God abandoning his Son make you feel bad for him?

God was pleased by this… to have his son crushed…
IMG_0187.jpeg

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now.

Do you see God as a tyrant because of this? If you do, then I would say that you are wrong. It was Gods plan, from the beginning to send his son.

”And if you call on the Father, who without partiality judges according to each one’s work, conduct yourselves throughout the time of your stay here in fear; knowing that you were not redeemed with corruptible things, like silver or gold, from your aimless conduct received by tradition from your fathers, but with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot. He indeed was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you“
‭‭I Peter‬ ‭1‬:‭17‬-‭20‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

You can see here that Jesus as the Word of God, before coming down into flesh, was foreordained before the foundation of the world, and was manifest in these last times for you,
(Peter is writing to the dispersed)
”Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, To the pilgrims of the Dispersion in Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia, elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, in sanctification of the Spirit, for obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace to you and peace be multiplied.“
‭‭I Peter‬ ‭1‬:‭1‬-‭2‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

Because of Jesus and God being pleased in that the Law and covenant made with Israel was now complete, because of the fact that man could never keep Gods word, God by His Word, made proclamation which foreordained him in the beginning to be the one whom would offer up, the sacrifice needed in order for sin, and the Law which conveyed it would be fulfilled, and nailed to the cross by the Lord Jesus!

This is great news! For all believers today, in understanding that the Father, yes, did leave as Christ in Jesus, and Jesus was abandoned to die on the cross, in humility, and in love for his Father and others. Because it was going to bring forth mercy, and not only that but the Holy spirit which helps people in their lives, as they pray to the Father who rose his Son up again.

It may be hard to take some of these things, but may God give the increase to each and every person out there to know.

God has a name, your Father you can call him, but which ever one may comfortable with, Yahavah, Yehova, Jehovah, Yahweh. Call out to the one whom created all the things by his Word, who is the Lord Jesus, whom we pray in his name. God does love you and care about you.

Imagine the love that Jesus has even though left alone, he still had hope, and faith that his Father would rescue him!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did God forsake Jesus on the Cross?

Let’s consider,

Hebrews 5:7
While Jesus was here on earth, he offered prayers and pleadings, with a loud cry and tears, to the one who could rescue him from death. And God heard his prayers because of his deep reverence for God.

I believe that Jesus had hope of being redeemed and resurrected and glorified in his heart and soul. Jesus also have God within Him, as Christ.

2 Corinthians 5:19 It was God [personally present] in Christ, reconciling and restoring the world to favor with Himself, not counting up and holding against [men] their trespasses [but cancelling them], and committing to us the message of reconciliation (of the restoration to favor).

2 Corinthians 5:19 I mean that God was in Christ, making peace between the world and himself. In Christ, God did not hold people guilty for their sins. And he gave us this message of peace to tell people.

With this in mind, of God being in Christ, let’s look at the cross one more time, by the subject matter. You have the Pharisees wragging their heads at Jesus, mocking him, and then Jesus cries out.

”Now from the sixth hour there was darkness over all the land unto the ninth hour. And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?“
Matthew 27:45-46 KJV

have you forsaken
ἐγκατέλιπες (enkatelipes)
Verb - Aorist Indicative Active - 2nd Person Singular
Strong's 1459: From en and kataleipo; to leave behind in some place, i.e. let remain over, or to desert.

Many people desire to express that Jesus is feeling this way. However, it’s a reality in which God had forsaken the Body which Jesus had given up in order for it to be the sacrifice for sins forever after three days in which God resurrected the only Begotten Son of God. If God was in Christ. And Jesus had the ability to lay down his own life or not, God not being able to indwell sin that had partaken in that body (the Law fully), given forth the weight and sting of death, in order to reconcile everything back to the way it was in the Garden. God forsake Jesus, and while Jesus still had hope, God left him there to die. Which somewhere is mentioned in Psalms where it pleased God to crush his son, because of the eternal precious blood that outweighed sin, having been the very word of God.

It’s interesting to think about, the abandoned house of Jesus no longer “Christ” because God in Christ, left him. Jesus was left utterly alone, and died on the cross. Though in his heart and mind he continued to have faith trusting that God would bring him back, even in this moment of desolation, in partaking sin on the worlds behalf.

Yes. God did forsake, Jesus on the cross, but there was a reason for the scriptures to be fulfilled.
This is only an opinion that I can’t prove. But I don’t think God forsook Him. “This is My Son. Hear Him. Listen to Him.”
It was utter darkness when Jesus cried out “why have you forsaken Me?” Before that they mocked Him for whom He called upon saying basically ….He calls upon Elijah …He helped others, let Him save Himself. Why don’t you take yourself down off that cross?”

The darkest of night, the final tempted in all points of weakness as we are. assuming when it’s the blackest that the Father has abandoned us. But that’s just the beginning of the story because the vail is torn in two and the ground shakes being moved and what supersedes their mockery of “let us see who He calls upon to save Him” (it isn’t Elijah! Calling down fire to destroy them all. Acts 13:33-37 God has fulfilled the same unto us their children, in that he has raised up Jesus again; as it is also written in the second psalm, You are my Son, this day have I begotten thee. [34] And as concerning that he raised him up from the dead, now no more to return to corruption, he said on this wise, I will give you the sure mercies of David. [35] Wherefore he saith also in another psalm, You shall not suffer My Holy One to see corruption. [36] For David, after he had served his own generation by the will of God, fell on sleep, and was laid unto his fathers, and saw corruption: [37] But he, whom God raised again, saw no corruption.

Hebrews 5:7 Who in the days of his flesh, when he had offered up prayers and supplications with strong crying and tears unto him that was able to save him from death, and was heard in that he feared;
and was heard stands out to me.

Just thinking out loud. In the Old Testament there are passages where God grows weary of their always thinking He forsakes them. It seems one lesson He tries to teach them is His promises.

Last edited:

O'Darby

Feb 17, 2024
Arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is a famous Jewish anecdote about the Holocaust. One survivor was lamenting "Where was God? Where was God?" Another answered "Right there, suffering with us."

I don't see the Cross as any different. God was there, suffering with His incarnated Son. The Son's suffering and sense of being forsaken was real, just as His prayer to avoid the suffering if possible was likewise real, but this was only a human perspective - in no ontologically real sense did God forsake Himself.

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is a famous Jewish anecdote about the Holocaust. One survivor was lamenting "Where was God? Where was God?" Another answered "Right there, suffering with us."

I don't see the Cross as any different. God was there, suffering with His incarnated Son. The Son's suffering and sense of being forsaken was real, just as His prayer to avoid the suffering if possible was likewise real, but this was only a human perspective - in no ontologically real sense did God forsake Himself.
Reminds me of: Footprints in the Sand
Being able to look back at times God carried you and you didn’t even know you were being carried. It seems like in my life all the toughest times are the worst going through them. I mean during those times I’m on the verge of giving up. Almost always, I look back on that time as a time of learning and growth. Only when I’m on the other side of it. I can’t see clearly when I’m in it. It’s crazy how it takes the sting out of it.

Reactions: O'Darby

O'Darby

Feb 17, 2024
Arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Reminds me of: Footprints in the Sand
Being able to look back at times God carried you and you didn’t even know you were being carried. It seems like in my life all the toughest times are the worst going through them. I mean during those times I’m on the verge of giving up. Almost always, I look back on that time as a time of learning and growth. Only when I’m on the other side of it. I can’t see clearly when I’m in it. It’s crazy how it takes the sting out of it.
Oh, yes, absolutely. My first wife struggled with breast cancer for seven years before she died. At the end of her journey, we both agreed those had been the best seven years of our 33-year marriage. That was almost 20 years ago now. The seeds planted in our journey together have continued to blossom in my own life in ways I never could have imagined.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh, yes, absolutely. My first wife struggled with breast cancer for seven years before she died. At the end of her journey, we both agreed those had been the best seven years of our 33-year marriage. That was almost 20 years ago now. The seeds planted in our journey together have continued to blossom in my own life in ways I never could have imagined.
I bet it was because during those seven years of trials of suffering , IT LED HER to draw Closer to GOD .
even paul once wrote
but we had the sentence of death in ourselves , so that we not trust IN OURSELVES BUT IN GOD .
GOD do allow sufferings and trials . Just as HE did upon JOB and scores of others .
TO DRAW US to depending upon and trusting upon HE and HE ALONE and not in us or worldy things .

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is so scary to be honest. it’s hard to explain. It’s not like you’d ever wish great hardship onto anyone but at the same time I do understand how what you shared is possible. even a beautiful testimony of stripped away of all the chatter and clutter and blessed to see the true value of relationship and life and love in what is truly important. Love how you said those seeds continue to grow and blossom! I’ve been thinking about the passages on “as poor but making many rich. As owning nothing, yet possessing all things.” That those seeds planted continues to multiply and be increased is a gift of God I think. Thank you for sharing. I can see how you look back on that seven years with joy and not bitterness.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
”Now from the sixth hour there was darkness over all the land unto the ninth hour. And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?“
Matthew 27:45-46 KJV

Christ was not mistaking or lying. From His perspective He could not “feel” God. And it is a telling statement. For one it is one of hundreds of facts that disprove the one God formula for the Trinity. But the explanation of that event is the reality of God and the New Covenant and Grace.

God, why hast thou forsaken me? For the first time Yeshua was alone, but of course it was only temporary. But we cannot imagine how that would have felt.

When Yeshua passed on the cross….
And behold, the veil of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom; and the earth shook and the rocks were split. Matthew 27:51-53

What does this mean?
It means that nothing separate us from God now.
How and why did this happen?
God had to always separate Himself from the people because of sin. This “sin” is a topic on itself but keeping it simple sin in general. Yahweh always has and always will have no tolerance for sin….One sin and you are separated from God. Sacrifices did not forgive sins it appeased the wrath of God.

For God to have a relationship with people the people have to be perfect without sin. Impossible?!! Yes it is impossible….that is without Grace. God gave all authority over sin to Yeshua. Christ’s selfless and perfect sacrifice established Grace and from then on all sin was between people and Yeshua and He could forgive sin for those that had faith in Him. Which is another big topic because faith is a power. And Yeshua would judge all sin on Judgment Day.

Also there is grace as a word and Grace as a power. Christ’s sacrificial death established Grace. From then on Yahweh Almighty could not see the sin of mankind. Grace covers that and makes us perfect before God Yahweh. It is the only way that God Almighty can have a relationship with us, He was not changed by the New Covenant. Christ can see sin but Yahweh cannot. Another point that disproves the one God formula for the Trinity. As does the point that God the Father knew the time of the end but God the Son did not. Different minds. My father in Heaven, different places, Yeshua sits on the right hand of the Father and Yahweh is the Son’s God. John 20:17 More reasons that the one God formula is false. God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.

When Christ passed on the Cross He broke the slate that tallied our sins for God and He threw away the slate….figuratively. Grace is the reason we can have a relationship with God Almighty. Grace is the reason that we are in the family of God, adopted sons and daughters of God.

But the function of Grace is not to forgive sins, Yeshua forgives sins. Yeshua is the means for salvation, the only Way. But salvation is only the first step in a journey with Christ. Always walk with Christ. Grace is like a cloak of perfection but it does not forgive sins….Yeshua forgive sins but do not take Christ for a fool, He knows your intentions and lifestyle sins can get you judged to Hell.

Last edited:

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is so scary to be honest. it’s hard to explain. It’s not like you’d ever wish great hardship onto anyone but at the same time I do understand how what you shared is possible. even a beautiful testimony of stripped away of all the chatter and clutter and blessed to see the true value of relationship and life and love in what is truly important. Love how you said those seeds continue to grow and blossom! I’ve been thinking about the passages on “as poor but making many rich. As owning nothing, yet possessing all things.” That those seeds planted continues to multiply and be increased is a gift of God I think. Thank you for sharing. I can see how you look back on that seven years with joy and not bitterness.
Before i was chastened i went astray . Whom the LORD loveth HE will chasten .
But also know this , sometimes those chastenings also come upon those in error
as paul once wrote . IF we would JUDGE ourselves we would not be chastened of the LORD
but , but when we are chastened of Him it is so that we are not CONDEMENED with the world .
GOD allows as HE allows and always will it work to the good of those who LOVE HIM .
We see chastisments used also by the leaders of said church .
THEY cast a man OUT of the church , Delivered HIM over unto satan etc
and he was led to repent .
AS we also see paul say of whom is alexander and Hymenaues
whom i have deliverd unto satan so THAT , SO THAT , they would learn TO NOT BLASPHEME .
there are serveral reasons for chastisements , trials and sufferings .
And though we might not understand it all , KNOW that chastisments are also meant to draw us closer to GOD .
TO TRUST IN GOD and not one bit in us or the things of this world .
AS paul himself once wrote , WE had the sentence of death in ourselves , AKA they thought they was gonna die ,
SO THAT we would not TRUST IN US but IN THE LIVING GOD . GOD do as HE DO .
And while no sufferings seemth joyous at the time but rather grieveious , it will work to the good of those who LOVE the LORD .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

Dan Clarkston

Dec 16, 2023
Denver Colorado
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did God forsake Jesus on the Cross?

Jesus specifically tells us the Lord forsook Him while He was on the cross:

Matthew 27:46
And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?

This mystery is now solved, what else ya got?

Reactions: amigo de christo

Dan Clarkston

Dec 16, 2023
Denver Colorado
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh my! How satanic! That sounds like something Kenneth Copeland would say!

And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?

Jesus specifically says God did forsake Him while He was on the cross. Jesus would know, He was there.

No, copeland claims when Jesus went in to hell he became a sinner and was being tortured by the devil in hell.

We know this is not true since the Bible tells us Jesus was preaching to the spirits in hell, not being beating up by the devil as copeland claims.

I don’t believe he felt abandoned…

Matthew 27:46 tells us Jesus most definitely felt abandoned.

Reactions: amigo de christo

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Jesus specifically says God did forsake Him while He was on the cross. Jesus would know, He was there.

No, copeland claims when Jesus went in to hell he became a sinner and was being tortured by the devil in hell.

We know this is not true since the Bible tells us Jesus was preaching to the spirits in hell, not being beating up by the devil as copeland claims.
yep .
Copeland has said many blasphemous things in his days upon this earth and he has grown very RICH doing so .
BUT in the end it will have profited HIM nothing . the man better repent asap , while there still be time do so .
I even heard that man once say
HE had to TELL GOD , TELL GOD to GET JESUS OUT OF HIS WAY SO HE COULD GET THE JOB DONE .
THAT IS SERIOUS BLASPHEMY . and yet the man has so many followers that cling to HIM as though he be GOD .

Dan Clarkston

Dec 16, 2023
Denver Colorado
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But I don’t think God forsook Him.

So you do not believe what Jesus said about it???

HE had to TELL GOD , TELL GOD to GET JESUS OUT OF HIS WAY SO HE COULD GET THE JOB DONE .

I'd like to see proof of that.

Last edited:

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So you do not believe what Jesus said about it???

I'd like to see proof of that.
I will do my best to find the video of him saying this .
It was some years back .

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus was quoting Scripture, because many esteemed Him forsaken by God.

Psalm 22:1
1 My God, My God, why have You forsaken Me? Why are You so far from helping Me, And from the words of My groaning?

Isaiah 53:4
4 Surely He has borne our griefs And carried our sorrows; Yet we esteemed Him stricken, Smitten by God, and afflicted.
Yeah, I know too much about Copeland. It's sickening.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can’t tell. It seems as though he knew he was abandoned left on the cross, in order for reconciliation for the whole world, dying for the sins, which did not commit. Giving up his life, for his Father, who was his God. I wonder if Yahavah reminded him of his promises and the hope laid before Jesus before shortly departing from with the Lord, and thus, you have this cry showing it’s happening. Even so, one must consider Jesus and where his heart was. For Yahavah his Father, God of Israel. And For the whole world.

I can’t tell if feelings are involved as much as a will which was getting done which was of the LORD, Yahavah, and his will was being done in all of the mix of those situations.

Some see it as cold. I see it as a picture for us to look at. What happens when we sin, separating from God becomes more apparent.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus specifically tells us the Lord forsook Him while He was on the cross:

This mystery is now solved, what else ya got?
Clear cut yea? “My God, My God, why have You forsaken Me?” Overlooking though “He who became weak, that we be made strong.”

2 Corinthians 13:3-4 For though he was crucified through weakness, yet he lives by the power of God. For we also are weak in him, but we shall live with him by the power of God toward you.

I get you may still stand firm on it’s a done deal that God forsook Him who cried out to His Father who was able to Save Him, offering up strong supplication and in this God heard His Son. As also He sent the same Spirit of the Son into our hearts which cries out “Abba Father!”

But to me…even further there was a veil still over the hearts, a blindness …as Lazarus was called forth and Jesus told them to remove the blinders from Lazarus eyes. Okay in weakness of the flesh the Son asked why God forsook Him. Reminds me of John sending back word to Jesus Christ who wasn’t coming to visit John the Baptist in prison and they were coming to cut off Johns head. Oh man, if we are getting real John the Baptist had to be thinking Jesus Christ had forsook John to have his head taken off. John had to be sitting in that prison thinking all that talk about “you didn’t come visit me in prison. You didn’t give me water to drink when I was thirsty. You didn’t feed me when I was hungry…”was some kind of bad joke. I get this will be skimmed right over but I’m thinking if I was John the Baptist I would have felt the same as Jesus Christ on the cross …why have you forsook me?? Just saying… but i don’t think Jesus Christ forsook John the Baptist. No more than God forsook His only begotten Son.

Reactions: O'Darby

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can’t tell. It seems as though he knew he was abandoned left on the cross, in order for reconciliation for the whole world, dying for the sins, which did not commit. Giving up his life, for his Father, who was his God. I wonder if Yahavah reminded him of his promises and the hope laid before Jesus before shortly departing from with the Lord, and thus, you have this cry showing it’s happening. Even so, one must consider Jesus and where his heart was. For Yahavah his Father, God of Israel. And For the whole world.

I can’t tell if feelings are involved as much as a will which was getting done which was of the LORD, Yahavah, and his will was being done in all of the mix of those situations.

Some see it as cold. I see it as a picture for us to look at. What happens when we sin, separating from God becomes more apparent.
Ain't no Yahavah in the Christian Bible. Why do you keep trying to change God's Name like Satan would do?

O'Darby

Feb 17, 2024
Arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I bet it was because during those seven years of trials of suffering , IT LED HER to draw Closer to GOD .
even paul once wrote
but we had the sentence of death in ourselves , so that we not trust IN OURSELVES BUT IN GOD .
GOD do allow sufferings and trials . Just as HE did upon JOB and scores of others .
TO DRAW US to depending upon and trusting upon HE and HE ALONE and not in us or worldy things .
My wife had moved FAR from the simplistic Bibliolatry we had shared early in our marriage. The seven years drew us closer to EACH OTHER and to a deeper understanding of what a marriage was. Our belief systems, thank God, were firmly in place BEFORE her diagnosis. I'm sure she did "draw closer to God" in a sense, but not in the sense most people here would use that phrase. After her death, the lead sociologist at the cancer center said to me "We were supposed to be here for Bev, but she didn't need us. She taught all of us - doctors, staff, patients - SO MUCH." And what she taught had nothing to do with "witnessing" or "sharing her faith" or anything of that sort.

Reactions: Grailhunter