Did God forsake Jesus on the cross?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did God forsake Jesus on the Cross?

Let’s consider,

Hebrews 5:7
While Jesus was here on earth, he offered prayers and pleadings, with a loud cry and tears, to the one who could rescue him from death. And God heard his prayers because of his deep reverence for God.

I believe that Jesus had hope of being redeemed and resurrected and glorified in his heart and soul. Jesus also have God within Him, as Christ.

2 Corinthians 5:19 It was God [personally present] in Christ, reconciling and restoring the world to favor with Himself, not counting up and holding against [men] their trespasses [but cancelling them], and committing to us the message of reconciliation (of the restoration to favor).

2 Corinthians 5:19 I mean that God was in Christ, making peace between the world and himself. In Christ, God did not hold people guilty for their sins. And he gave us this message of peace to tell people.

With this in mind, of God being in Christ, let’s look at the cross one more time, by the subject matter. You have the Pharisees wragging their heads at Jesus, mocking him, and then Jesus cries out.

”Now from the sixth hour there was darkness over all the land unto the ninth hour. And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?“
Matthew 27:45-46 KJV

have you forsaken
ἐγκατέλιπες (enkatelipes)
Verb - Aorist Indicative Active - 2nd Person Singular
Strong's 1459: From en and kataleipo; to leave behind in some place, i.e. let remain over, or to desert.

Many people desire to express that Jesus is feeling this way. However, it’s a reality in which God had forsaken the Body which Jesus had given up in order for it to be the sacrifice for sins forever after three days in which God resurrected the only Begotten Son of God. If God was in Christ. And Jesus had the ability to lay down his own life or not, God not being able to indwell sin that had partaken in that body (the Law fully), given forth the weight and sting of death, in order to reconcile everything back to the way it was in the Garden. God forsake Jesus, and while Jesus still had hope, God left him there to die. Which somewhere is mentioned in Psalms where it pleased God to crush his son, because of the eternal precious blood that outweighed sin, having been the very word of God.

It’s interesting to think about, the abandoned house of Jesus no longer “Christ” because God in Christ, left him. Jesus was left utterly alone, and died on the cross. Though in his heart and mind he continued to have faith trusting that God would bring him back, even in this moment of desolation, in partaking sin on the worlds behalf.

Yes. God did forsake, Jesus on the cross, but there was a reason for the scriptures to be fulfilled.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Let’s consider,

While Jesus was here on earth, he offered prayers and pleadings, with a loud cry and tears, to the one who could rescue him from death. And God heard his prayers because of his deep reverence for God.

I believe that Jesus had hope of being redeemed and resurrected and glorified in his heart and soul. Jesus also have God within Him, as Christ.

2 Corinthians 5:19 It was God [personally present] in Christ, reconciling and restoring the world to favor with Himself, not counting up and holding against [men] their trespasses [but cancelling them], and committing to us the message of reconciliation (of the restoration to favor).

2 Corinthians 5:19 I mean that God was in Christ, making peace between the world and himself. In Christ, God did not hold people guilty for their sins. And he gave us this message of peace to tell people.

With this in mind, of God being in Christ, let’s look at the cross one more time, by the subject matter. You have the Pharisees wragging their heads at Jesus, mocking him, and then Jesus cries out.

”Now from the sixth hour there was darkness over all the land unto the ninth hour. And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?“

have you forsaken
Strong's 1459: From en and kataleipo; to leave behind in some place, i.e. let remain over, or to desert.

Many people desire to express that Jesus is feeling this way. However, it’s a reality in which God had forsaken the Body which Jesus had given up in order for it to be the sacrifice for sins forever after three days in which God resurrected the only Begotten Son of God. If God was in Christ. And Jesus had the ability to lay down his own life or not, God not being able to indwell sin that had partaken in that body (the Law fully), given forth the weight and sting of death, in order to reconcile everything back to the way it was in the Garden. God forsake Jesus, and while Jesus still had hope, God left him there to die. Which somewhere is mentioned in Psalms where it pleased God to crush his son, because of the eternal precious blood that outweighed sin, having been the very word of God.

It’s interesting to think about, the abandoned house of Jesus no longer “Christ” because God in Christ, left him. Jesus was left utterly alone, and died on the cross. Though in his heart and mind he continued to have faith trusting that God would bring him back, even in this moment of desolation, in partaking sin on the worlds behalf.

Yes. God did forsake, Jesus on the cross, but there was a reason for the scriptures to be fulfilled.
When you think you've heard it all.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some other references to, Forsaken, spoke in the writings.

”My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? Why art thou so far from helping me, and from the words of my roaring? O my God, I cry in the daytime, but thou hearest not; And in the night season, and am not silent.“
‭‭Psalm‬ ‭22‬:‭1‬-‭2‬ ‭KJV‬‬

I will say unto God my rock, why hast thou forgotten me? Why go I mourning because of the oppression of the enemy?“
‭‭Psalm‬ ‭42‬:‭1‬-‭9‬ ‭KJV‬‬

”O God, why hast thou cast us off for ever? Why doth thine anger smoke against the sheep of thy pasture?“
‭‭Psalm‬ ‭74‬:‭1‬ ‭KJV‬‬

”Will the Lord cast off for ever? And will he be favourable no more? Is his mercy clean gone for ever? Doth his promise fail for evermore? Hath God forgotten to be gracious? Hath he in anger shut up his tender mercies? Selah.“
‭‭Psalm‬ ‭77‬:‭7‬-‭9‬ ‭KJV‬‬

”LORD, why castest thou off my soul? Why hidest thou thy face from me? I am afflicted and ready to die From my youth up: While I suffer thy terrors I am distracted.“
‭‭Psalm‬ ‭88‬:‭14‬-‭15‬ ‭KJV‬‬

”But Zion said, The LORD hath forsaken me, and my Lord hath forgotten me. Can a woman forget her sucking child, that she should not have compassion on the son of her womb? yea, they may forget, yet will I not forget thee.“
‭‭Isaiah‬ ‭49‬:‭14‬-‭15‬ ‭KJV‬‬

”For a small moment have I forsaken thee; but with great mercies will I gather thee.“
‭‭Isaiah‬ ‭54‬:‭7‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Hope this helps, others in due process! :) It’s amazing when the scripture can tend to support itself concerning differing subjects. It’s just the test of one’s of own mind to consider what is written in the original post. God is not ashamed of people asking questions and simply seeking answers, sometimes the answer can be found in the Bible, of course it helps to have the spirit also, help us see and what is being conveyed by and through looking into all the surrounding context and contents from other letters or books which we have access to today.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It’s really wild, to find a verse like this, unbeknownst to me that it even existed.

”For a small moment have I forsaken thee; but with great mercies will I gather thee.“
‭‭Isaiah‬ ‭54‬:‭7‬ ‭KJV‬‬

It was only for a small moment of time, in which Jesus was forsaken. Being risen again three days later! Praise be to Yahavah.

Reactions: face2face and Jim C

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Let’s consider,

have you forsaken

I think God and Jesus were the same person, and it was God's wish that he be sacrificed on the cross.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think God and Jesus were the same person, and it was God's wish that he be sacrificed on the cross.
That is interesting. Do you think God had a plan to accomplish something through that? Thanks Bob.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is interesting. Do you think God had a plan to accomplish something through that? Thanks Bob.
It's said over and over, and I believe it, that Jesus died for our sins.

And what does that mean? My best guess is that Satan lost his credibility when he had a sinless man, Jesus, murdered.

And Jesus showed us the path to heaven (repentance - Matthew 4:17).

Jim C

Sep 5, 2023
Lynnwood
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As MatthewG said, Jesus was separated from God for a brief time. Why? Because just before He died, Christ took on all sin and thus became sin so He could conquer sin with His death. As sin cannot exist in God's holy presence, Christ had to be separated from God until the sacrifice was complete, with Christ's blood washing away sin and defeating it once and for all.
It was not death that Christ feared when he prayed in Gethsemane, it was separation from God.

Reactions: Adrift and MatthewG

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think he was citing part of Psalm 22.

He knew his people would know that song. Especially as it leads to verse 3:"Yet you are Holy."

It's amazing he could speak at all given the soldiers nearly beat him to death.

God cannot forsake God.
Hello BP,

It begs to question, if he was citing that because his people knew that song, or it was written about which was to come and be fulfilled. What many people do not understand is that is was God in Christ that left Jesus on the cross, alone because that body which Jesus laid down, took on sin. God could not dwell in that body anymore, and he left Jesus. Jesus thus pays the wages of sins which lead to his death. Going back to the Garden, God had to remove Adam and Eve, because of sin. Do you see how that defines the aspect of Jesus citing that verse because it was coming to pass, that for a moment of time, he was forsaken.

‭‭Isaiah‬ ‭54‬:‭7‬ ‭KJV

Then again perhaps my view is just misunderstood, you the reader of course may choose, and may we all test all things by and through the spirit! And hold on to the things which are good.

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
God left His Son on the cross because Jesus must be “put to death in the flesh” 1 Pet 3:18, which means God's Spirit had to leave him alone to die. Yet another reason Jesus cannot be God.

I like the reference in Psalm 22:3 to God being Holy and therefore cannot be involved in death (unclean) which is why His Spirit withdrew.

Reactions: Spyder

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello BP,

It begs to question, if he was citing that because his people knew that song, or it was written about which was to come and be fulfilled. What many people do not understand is that is was God in Christ that left Jesus on the cross, alone because that body which Jesus laid down, took on sin. God could not dwell in that body anymore, and he left Jesus. Jesus thus pays the wages of sins which lead to his death. Going back to the Garden, God had to remove Adam and Eve, because of sin. Do you see how that defines the aspect of Jesus citing that verse because it was coming to pass, that for a moment of time, he was forsaken.

‭‭Isaiah‬ ‭54‬:‭7‬ ‭KJV

Then again perhaps my view is just misunderstood, you the reader of course may choose, and may we all test all things by and through the spirit! And hold on to the things which are good.
Wait. I thought before that you said Jesus could not be God. Or, am I mistaken?

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wait. I thought before that you said Jesus could not be God. Or, am I mistaken?
You never asked me any questions on any take of Jesus being God or not, Bp. Was there anything else to you that stood out, in what I’m trying to share about concerning, the topic.

I think he was citing part of Psalm 22.
You are right. He was doing that. He was quoting a verse in which He, in agony and pain, facing death, cried out to his Father, in his humanity, “My God, My God, why has thou forsaken me?”

To some extent some could just say Jesus was singing a song up there on that old rugged cross! Let’s play our game, with fiddles an pianos too. None the less, He quotes a psalm written by David, a man after Gods own heart even after getting caught up with Beersheba, and other choices in his life, he always sought after God despite failures. An encouraging message for all us.

The question is why, was it Jesus is saying this? Is he just singing an old meaningless saying from literature which he just happened to say now? Could it be that it is an actual fulfilling of which was to come for the Messiah, the penalty of death, willingly suffering on behalf of his Father and for behalf of everyone now being brought into the world today, taking care of sin? (though not everyone is free from the bondage of sin, and may not be until one leaves this life)?

The next question or another question, is how is it possible for God to forsake Jesus?
He knew his people would know that song. Especially as it leads to verse 3:"Yet you are Holy."
I’ve had this same thought before, Jesus was saying this in order for those nearby to hear it, and for the Romans also to hear it, and afterwards you see a centurion, say “surely this was a man of God, or Son of God?” The people who set their lives aside for godly desires and reasons with devotion are made holy, being set apart for Gods purposes and his will by the spirit.

The whole scenario reminds me of when Jesus told the people in the audience that the Isaiah scroll he has just read to them is fulfilled before their eyes and closed it up and handed back to the assistant. Psalms, and the forsaking of Jesus, was because of sin entering that body, which God in and through the anointed one, left him on the cross with the cup of suffering, and the price of the sins of the world were paid for, with Jesus giving up his own life, and dying by the sting of death, fulfilling and nailing the ordinances of old to the cross, opening up now the spiritual crossroad of life. Walking with your Father in heaven and praying and growing to learn about Him and his Son. God did not forsake Jesus forever but for a moment of time, 3 days later rising him up again by the spirit of the Father.
It's amazing he could speak at all given the soldiers nearly beat him to death.
Your right. Jesus was brutally beaten, spit on, punched, placed upon his head was thorns, he was stripped naked and humiliated. The Word of God, in Yeshua/Jesus, by merit of the flesh, was standing like Adam in the Garden of Eden, only with the judgment coming from his own brethren, with the help of the Roman’s,
God cannot forsake God.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you everyone who came by and joined.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The question is why, was it Jesus is saying this? Is he just singing an old meaningless saying from literature which he just happened to say now? Could it be that it is an actual fulfilling of which was to come for the Messiah, the penalty of death, willingly suffering on behalf of his Father and for behalf of everyone now being brought into the world today, taking care of sin? (though not everyone is free from the bondage of sin, and may not be until one leaves this life)?

The next question or another question, is how is it possible for God to forsake Jesus?
Interesting point. Is Psalm 22 effectively a prophesy of, or pointer to, the Atonement?

I'm going to take Jesus's cry from the cross at face value, that Jesus actually DID feel abandoned by God at that moment. Whether God the Father actually abandoned Him is unknowable; what is known and important is that Jesus felt abandoned.

The way us humans sometimes feel abandoned by God.

Last edited:
Reactions: O'Darby

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don’t believe he felt abandoned…

He was abandoned @Lambano.

Everyone continues to supplement feelings in there. I don’t know why…

Was the last thing the Father said to Jesus? Alright I’m leaving now… remember what I told you… and then Jesus lets out the cry…

Father taught Jesus all things… and all things to say. This last interaction was Christ in Jesus leaving Him…

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Perhaps that’s what people teach in the pulpit “ Jesus felt abandoned “ he was abandoned because God in Christ couldn’t indwell sin anymore, as Jesus body took on sin.

How do we know God was in Christ?

For God was in Christ, reconciling the world to himself, no longer counting people’s sins against them. And he gave us this wonderful message of reconciliation.

It is not a mystery…

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Does God leaving his son make people feel a certain way?

There are birds who drop off eggs in other birds nest and leave them there to be took care off.

Does God abandoning his Son make you feel bad for him?

God was pleased by this… to have his son crushed…