Did God have name in the beginning?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sullivan

Nov 4, 2015
for thousands of years, we human have always thought that God had a name from the very beginning. We thought that “Jehovah” was His name from the start. But now that God Himself is working and speaking in the last days, He has told us the truth. Only now do we know that God originally had no name. God has only had a name since He began His management plan to save mankind. Exodus 3:13, 15, “And Moses said to God, Behold, when I come to the children of Israel, and shall say to them, The God of your fathers has sent me to you; and they shall say to me, What is his name? What shall I say to them? ... And God said moreover to Moses, Thus shall you say to the children of Israel, the LORD God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you: this is my name for ever, and this is my memorial to all generations.” From this passage, we can be more sure that in the beginning, God did not have a name. At that time, God was just called “God.” He only took the name “Jehovah” when Moses led the Israelites out of Egypt. Then, in the name “Jehovah,” God started His work in the Age of Law. That is, He started His management plan to save mankind.
This is just my personal point of understanding.

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The original language of the Torah is Hebrew. The name "Jehovah" is never mentioned.

Reactions: StanJ

Sullivan

Nov 4, 2015
Firstly, we can be sure that there was no Genesis when God created heaven and earth and all things. So when was the Book of Genesis written? I’m sure that those who have read the Bible carefully will know: Genesis was written by Moses, after Jehovah had led the Israelites out of Egypt. Moses had known the name of God by that time, so when he was writing Genesis, it’s easy to see why he would use the name “Jehovah” to refer to God. In God’s work to save mankind, God takes a different name for each stage of His work. With His name, He initiates each age and unfolds His work, and shows us the disposition He expresses in each age. His names help us to distinguish between ages, and help us to know God. The name “Jehovah” represents the Age of Law, not the Age of Grace. The name “Jesus” represents the Age of Grace, not the last age, the Age of Kingdom. So when God returns in the last days, He will certainly take a new name.

Jun2u

Mar 6, 2014
Southern CA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is only one God. He does not have a name to distinguish Himself from any other gods unlike mankind, who have names to distinguish themselves from one another..

God gave Himself many titles like, Father, Counselor, Jehovah...etc to describe His many attributes. For instance, the name Jehovah in English is translated Jesus MEANING...savior.

When Moses asked God who shall I say sent me God replied, “Thus you shall say to the children of Israel I AM THAT I AM sent you”.

God is the great I AM.

To God Be the Glory

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Jun2u said:
There is only one God. He does not have a name to distinguish Himself from any other gods unlike mankind, who have names to distinguish themselves from one another..

God gave Himself many titles like, Father, Counselor, Jehovah...etc to describe His many attributes. For instance, the name Jehovah in English is translated Jesus MEANING...savior.

When Moses asked God who shall I say sent me God replied, “Thus you shall say to the children of Israel I AM THAT I AM sent you”.

God is the great I AM.

To God Be the Glory
"I AM" is not a name. God is telling Moses, by inference, that to give God a name is to make Him in our image. If God could be named, he could be defined.

"...What Tillich is seeking to lead us to is an understanding of the 'God above God'. We have already seen earlier that the Ground of Being (God) must be separate from the finite realm (which is a mixture of being and non-being) and that God cannot be a being. God must be beyond the finite realm. Anything brought from essence into existence is always going to be corrupted by ambiguity and our own finitude. Thus statements about God must always be symbolic (except the statement 'God is the Ground of Being'). Although we may claim to know God (the Infinite) we cannot. The moment God is brought from essence into existence God is corrupted by finitude and our limited understanding. In this realm we can never fully grasp (or speak about) who God really is. The infinite cannot remain infinite in the finite realm. That this rings true can be seen when we realize there are a multitude of different understandings of God within the Christian faith alone. They cannot all be completely true so there must exist a 'pure' understanding of God (essence) that each of these are speaking about (or glimpsing aspects of)...."
http://www.doxa.ws/Being/Ground_Being.html

Sullivan

Nov 4, 2015
The name of God exists because of God’s plan for salvation. During God’s work, He takes a name so that mankind can better understand Him, and can more easily receive the salvation of God. And in every stage of God’s work, He changes His name, and shows to mankind part of His disposition. By carrying out new works, and by taking new names, God has shown to mankind His almightiness and wisdom and wonderful deeds. So that they see God is not only Jehovah who issued the law to lead man’s life and who could show mercy to and curse man, but He is also the loving and merciful Savior Jesus who has redeemed man.

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Sullivan said:
The name of God exists because of God’s plan for salvation. During God’s work, He takes a name so that mankind can better understand Him, and can more easily receive the salvation of God. And in every stage of God’s work, He changes His name, and shows to mankind part of His disposition. By carrying out new works, and by taking new names, God has shown to mankind His almightiness and wisdom and wonderful deeds. So that they see God is not only Jehovah who issued the law to lead man’s life and who could show mercy to and curse man, but He is also the loving and merciful Savior Jesus who has redeemed man.
Neither the Hebrew or the Greek LXX uses a word that can be translated as Jehovah. That is an erroneous name used by some who mistranslate the Hebrew YHWH, which cannot be translated. If you're going to ignore information given you, you won't get much interaction here.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
...following a Jewish carpenter...
Sullivan said:
for thousands of years, we human have always thought that God had a name from the very beginning. We thought that “Jehovah” was His name from the start. But now that God Himself is working and speaking in the last days, He has told us the truth. Only now do we know that God originally had no name. God has only had a name since He began His management plan to save mankind. Exodus 3:13, 15, “And Moses said to God, Behold, when I come to the children of Israel, and shall say to them, The God of your fathers has sent me to you; and they shall say to me, What is his name? What shall I say to them? ... And God said moreover to Moses, Thus shall you say to the children of Israel, the LORD God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you: this is my name for ever, and this is my memorial to all generations.” From this passage, we can be more sure that in the beginning, God did not have a name. At that time, God was just called “God.” He only took the name “Jehovah” when Moses led the Israelites out of Egypt. Then, in the name “Jehovah,” God started His work in the Age of Law. That is, He started His management plan to save mankind.
This is just my personal point of understanding.
Who is "we"?
I never thought God's name was Jehovah.

I was always under the impression that God referred to Himself as "I AM".
What more can be said?

Jun2u

Mar 6, 2014
Southern CA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
kepha31 said:
"I AM" is not a name. God is telling Moses, by inference, that to give God a name is to make Him in our image. If God could be named, he could be defined
Exactly! There is only one God and there is none like Him. So He does not need a name to distinguish Himself from other gods

Neither the Hebrew or the Greek LXX uses a word that can be translated as Jehovah. That is an erroneous name used by some who mistranslate the Hebrew YHWH, which cannot be translated. If you're going to ignore information given you, you won't get much interaction here.
Who is "we"?
I never thought God's name was Jehovah.

I was always under the impression that God referred to Himself as "I AM".
What more can be said?

Ex 6:3 And I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, by the name of God Almighty, but by my name JEHOVAH was I not known to them.

Ps 83:18 That men may know that thou, whose name alone is JEHOVAH, art the most high over all the earth.

Isa 12:2 Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid: for the LORD JEHOVAH is my strength and my song; he also is become my salvation.

Isa 26:4 Trust ye in the LORD for ever: for in the LORD JEHOVAH is everlasting strength

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
Jun2u said:
Ex 6:3 And I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, by the name of God Almighty, but by my name JEHOVAH was I not known to them.

Ps 83:18 That men may know that thou, whose name alone is JEHOVAH, art the most high over all the earth.

Isa 12:2 Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid: for the LORD JEHOVAH is my strength and my song; he also is become my salvation.

Isa 26:4 Trust ye in the LORD for ever: for in the LORD JEHOVAH is everlasting strength
Even I know that there is no letter "J" in either Hebrew or Greek.
"Jehovah" is an anglicized version of "yehôvâh", which comes from the Hebrew יְהֹוָה

Jun2u

Mar 6, 2014
Southern CA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Barrd said:
"Jehovah" is an anglicized version of "yehôvâh", which comes from the Hebrew יְהֹוָה
It is irrelevant whether you know if there be a letter "J" in the Hebrew or Greek. What is important is do you believe that God said He was not known by the name "Jehovah" to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.

to God Be The Glory

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The Barrd said:
Neither exists in the Hebrew Barrd. His name was written YHWH and it was NOT pronounced. You can't anglicize something that doesn't exist in the origin language.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
StanJ said:
Neither exists in the Hebrew Barrd. His name was written YHWH and it was NOT pronounced. You can't anglicize something that doesn't exist in the origin language.
Stan, I know that. And you know that.
However, "Jehovah" does appear in several translations, including my own beloved King James.
I can only conclude that everyone does not know that.... B)

Oh! Almost forgot!
From Strong's Concordance:

H3068 (Strong)

יְהֹוָה

yehôvâh

yeh-ho-vaw'

From H1961; (the) self Existent or eternal; Jehovah, Jewish national name of God: - Jehovah, the Lord. Compare H3050, H3069.

Total KJV occurrences: 6521

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The Barrd said:
However, "Jehovah" does appear in several translations, including my own beloved King James.

Oh! Almost forgot!
From Strong's Concordance:

H3068 (Strong)

יְהֹוָה

yehôvâh

yeh-ho-vaw'

From H1961; (the) self Existent or eternal; Jehovah, Jewish national name of God: - Jehovah, the Lord. Compare H3050, H3069.

Total KJV occurrences: 6521
No, actually MANY don't KNOW that, which is why it is a point of contention these days. The KJVOers sure don't know it, nor do the JWs.

http://www.bible.ca/jw-YHWH.htm

You can limit yourself to section III at this link or read the whole thing if you really want to be informed?

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
StanJ said:
No, actually MANY don't KNOW that, which is why it is a point of contention these days. The KJVOers sure don't know it, nor do the JWs.

http://www.bible.ca/jw-YHWH.htm

You can limit yourself to section III at this link or read the whole thing if you really want to be informed?
Okay, Stan....perhaps you should read what I actually wrote once more:

Just in case that wasn't clear, you and I are actually (gasp!) in agreement on this one.

Don't worry. I don't expect it will happen too often...

iakov

Jan 17, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Since man was not there "in the beginning", there was no need for a name which a human would use.

He has revealed Himself to us a the Trinity, father, Son and Holy Spirit. That is the most full revelation of God's name available.

Early names, from Genesis, etc., do not contain that full revelation.

You can call him "Abba".

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
iakov said:
Since man was not there "in the beginning", there was no need for a name which a human would use.

He has revealed Himself to us a the Trinity, father, Son and Holy Spirit. That is the most full revelation of God's name available.

Early names, from Genesis, etc., do not contain that full revelation.

You can call him "Abba".
Actually Elohyim is a Hebrew plural noun, so it was there but just not apparent until the NT. Gen 1:26 also gives a clue to the Triune nature of God.

Samael

Mar 10, 2016
yes it was decoded his name was Yahuweh and no that is not a title for god its a literal name just like Michael or Samuel. now jesus true name is yoshua or another spelling of that