Did Jesus claim to be God?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Sheffield, Yorkshire, home of Robin Hood.
robinhood-loxley.weebly.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Yes there is.
With that in mind its good to meditate on Revelation 1:1
A revelation by Jesus Christ, which God gave him, to show his slaves the things that must shortly take place. And he sent his angel and presented it in signs through him to his slave John, 2 who bore witness to the word God gave and to the witness Jesus Christ gave, yes, to all the things he saw. 3 Happy is the one who reads aloud and those who hear the words of this prophecy and who observe the things written in it, for the appointed time is near.
That is a perfect example of God's dual role.

No man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven. (Joh 3:13 KJV)

Jesus said this while on earth, that he, the Son of man is in heaven. He said it about himself while still on earth.

Do you not believe?

Last edited:

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I guess i could say that same about a Man and his Wife.
They are one person in 2 bodies.

Yeah, i can see how you can draw that conclusion.
Husband and wife are one couple but there is only One God in the universe, or do you believe the earth, part of His creation, is prohibited to him?

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You can shut up about roles and modalism, better still, you can find a word to describes God's mission on earth, that is different from his heavenly work. Because if you cannot see it, I do. I see the One God performing two different functions, one in heaven, and one on earth. So how would you describe God's simultaneous work in heaven and on earth at the same time if it is not a dual role? Even humans do it. Or is God not capable of multi-tasking?

Added: Your talk of a "proper name of God" reminds me of the Jehovah Witnesses.
first thanks for the reply, second, I'm not JW, nor will I stop speaking about "roles" if they are brought up. and third, God as ONE is not role playing, this is why he is a "diversity" of himself to prevent any role playing. now you said, "I see the One God performing two different functions, one in heaven, and one on earth". fine, do you know how this ONE God is carrying out both functions at the same time without role playing each? if so please tell us. and if you say well he is a separate person. well that's two separate Gods for each ... as you say function. for each function require a "GOD" to do it, so either your separate persons are polytheistic in nature, or your one God is performing modalistic roles.

now, if you have another explanation then post it.

PICJAG.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the belly is called a god at phil 3:19
Psalm 8:5 refers to the angles as gods
Exodus 4:16 Moses was told that he was to serve as “God” to Aaron and to Pharaoh

Jesus can be called a god, just as Moses was called a god, angels were called gods and the belly was called a god
Im sure there are more examples then this, but its something to consider.
First thanks for the reply when concering the Godhead I have a couple of scripture,
1 Corinthians 8:4 "As concerning therefore the eating of those things that are offered in sacrifice unto idols, we know that an idol is nothing in the world, and that there is none other God but one."

1 Chronicles 16:26 "For all the gods of the people are idols: but the LORD made the heavens." (which means they are NOTHING).

Psalms 96:5 "For all the gods of the nations are idols: but the LORD made the heavens."

with that SAID, 2 Corinthians 6:16 "And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people."

PICJAG.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Revelation 1:1 is not a dual role of God. read that verse again. and then read Revelation 22:6 to find out who sent "HIS" angel. and find out who sent "HIS" angel... :eek:

PICJAG.

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
first thanks for the reply, second, I'm not JW, nor will I stop speaking about "roles" if they are brought up. and third, God as ONE is not role playing, this is why he is a "diversity" of himself to prevent any role playing. now you said, "I see the One God performing two different functions, one in heaven, and one on earth". fine, do you know how this ONE God is carrying out both functions at the same time without role playing each? if so please tell us. and if you say well he is a separate person. well that's two separate Gods for each ... as you say function. for each function require a "GOD" to do it, so either your separate persons are polytheistic in nature, or your one God is performing modalistic roles.

now, if you have another explanation then post it.

PICJAG.
There is ONE omnipresent God who can and does perform multiple actions simultaneously across the universe. His name on earth is Jesus.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is ONE omnipresent God who can and does perform multiple actions simultaneously across the universe. His name on earth is Jesus.
Yes, I know this, but the question, did God die on the cross? yes, so how did he do it as "GOD". since you say, "There is ONE omnipresent God who can and does perform multiple actions simultaneously across the universe" this I agree, so how did he do it? die and be alive at the same time. and again, if one say well the second person died, well is the not the second person the SAME ONE GOD?" did some of God died, or a third?.... :eek: see how silly this doctrine is of three person, but the same one "Spirit" is. it's silly. and if one say Jesus died, who one say is God, is that the one God? or again some of the ONE God? are we getting this?

that three persons but one Spirit, that dog want hunt any longer.

PICJAG.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now, the Revelation 1:1 question. For all who believe in a dual role of God, ERROR. the bible clearly states, 1 Thessalonians 5:21 "Prove all things; hold fast that which is good."
Let’s examine the record, and prove this thing, "God's duality".
Revelation 1:1 "The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John:"

This seems like two persons, (the Father, who gave the Son, Jesus the Christ this Revelation)…. this is what most seems to believe, do it not? But upon closer examination of the supporting scripture, this is not the correct assessment. The angel himself tells us who sent him, Revelation 22:6 "And he said unto me, These sayings are faithful and true: and the Lord God of the holy prophets sent his angel to shew unto his servants the things which must shortly be done." so from the angel himself, he tells us who sent him… “The Lord God”. did one notice the title “Lord”, and not “LORD”, all caps. I have had scholars with degrees tell me that this is Jehovah or Yahweh, meaning the “Father” who sent “HIS” angel to John. Even the Jehovah witness, in their own bible, they have it God the Father as the Name Jehovah in place of the Lord God.

Well they and many others are NO Witness of God, for God himself tell us directly, by using his own Name, who sent “HIS” angel to John. Let’s see it plainly. Revelation 22:16 "I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star."

BINGO, “I Jesus”……. sent “MY” angel. Well, well, well, that just put a crimp in Psalms 110:1…. and it is clear that it is the "Lord" Jesus who is God, not Jehovah, or any other hover.

now with that said, one might need to look at Isaiah 48:16 again, "Come ye near unto me, hear ye this; I have not spoken in secret from the beginning; from the time that it was, there am I: and now the Lord GOD, and his Spirit, hath sent me." .... :eek:

So no, Revelation 1:1 is no dual … “ROLE” of God. It’s the only, and the same person “diversified”, or “SHARED” in flesh and bone. BINGO.

PICJAG.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is no scripture saying that we must believe Jesus is God in order to be saved. Jesus is our savior,
that's contradictory, for God is the ONLY SAVIOUR, Isaiah 43:3.

and women was in Leadership, and still is.... that's nothing new.

was it not God who died for your sins? yes or no.

PICJAG.

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, I know this, but the question, did God die on the cross? yes, so how did he do it as "GOD". since you say, "There is ONE omnipresent God who can and does perform multiple actions simultaneously across the universe" this I agree, so how did he do it? die and be alive at the same time. and again, if one say well the second person died, well is the not the second person the SAME ONE GOD?" did some of God died, or a third?.... :eek: see how silly this doctrine is of three person, but the same one "Spirit" is. it's silly. and if one say Jesus died, who one say is God, is that the one God? or again some of the ONE God? are we getting this?

PICJAG.
I am not liking the consistent negativity, I have had these same conversations with atheists. My feelings are that you have an answer that satisfies you, but I doubt its veracity. So, one last time. God was IN Christ. 2 Corinthians 5:19 and you ask, how did the flesh come to life? Considering God's presence in Christ, that is rather a silly question. I am sure you can work out the answer. Now I will hand over to Gleason Archer who says:

"God had to become one of us in order to redeem us from the guilt and penalty of our sin. And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth’ ‘(John 1:14).

God as God could not forgive us for our sins unless our sins were fully paid for; otherwise He would have been a condoner and protector of the violation of His own holy law. It was only as a man that God in Christ could furnish satisfaction sufficient to atone for the sins of mankind; for only a man, a true human being, could properly represent the human race.

But at the same time our Redeemer had to be God, for only God could furnish a sacrifice of infinite value, to compensate for the penalty of eternal hell that our sin demands, according to the righteous claims of divine justice. Only God could have devised a way of salvation that made it possible for Him to remain Just and at the same time become the Justifier of the ungodly and instead of sending them to the everlasting perdition they deserved it was the perfect Man who was also infinite God that furnished an effectual sacrifice for all believers of every age."

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
fitst thanks for the reply, second I'm not a atheists, but a christian, so that angle want work. and if you are not liking the consistent negativity, maybe the negativity might be on your end of the conversation. now with that said, lets address your scriptures.
one last time. God was IN Christ. 2 Corinthians 5:19
did I say he was NOT? but lets understand what 2 Corinthians 5:19 is saying. as the "diversity" of his "OWN" self he was G2758 κενόω kenoo (ke-no-ō') in that flesh as the "diversity", (see Phil 2:7). so yes, God the Holy Spirit was in Christ, just as he Jesus the Holy Spirit is in us.
and you ask, how did the flesh come to life? Considering God's presence in Christ, that is rather a silly question.
how silly of you to say that I asked that, I never asked, "how did the flesh come to life?". if so please post the Number where I said that.
Now I will hand over to Gleason Archer who says:

"God had to become one of us in order to redeem us from the guilt and penalty of our sin. And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth’ ‘(John 1:14).
Another ERROR on your part. he God "took Part" in our humanity, not a Partaker, but took Part, get it right please. scripture, Hebrews 2:14 "Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil;"

understand the difference between "TOOK PART" vs "PARTAKE".
But at the same time our Redeemer had to be God, for only God could furnish a sacrifice of infinite value, to compensate for the penalty of eternal hell that our sin demands, according to the righteous claims of divine justice.
FINALLY, so common sense of the scriptures. God is our redeemer, as the "Diversity" of himself in flesh. and the Spirit in that flesh was G2758 κενόω kenoo (ke-no-ō') and that's why the undiversified Spirit was in, in, in, Christ. for the same Spirit that was in Christ is the Spirit of Christ who was in the Prophets in the OT, (see 1 Peter 1:10 & 11). I know you want read this, but it would be a suprise if you do.
Only God could have devised a way of salvation that made it possible for Him to remain Just and at the same time become the Justifier of the ungodly and instead of sending them to the everlasting perdition they deserved it was the perfect Man who was also infinite God that furnished an effectual sacrifice for all believers of every age."
and that way is what I been saying all this time..... "Diversity"........ :rolleyes:

did that That Revelation 1:1 question get to you?

PICJAG

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
fitst thanks for the reply, second I'm not a atheists, but a christian, so that angle want work. and if you are not liking the consistent negativity, maybe the negativity might be on your end of the conversation. now with that said, lets address your scriptures.

did I say he was NOT? but lets understand what 2 Corinthians 5:19 is saying. as the "diversity" of his "OWN" self he was G2758 κενόω kenoo (ke-no-ō') in that flesh as the "diversity", (see Phil 2:7). so yes, God the Holy Spirit was in Christ, just as he Jesus the Holy Spirit is in us.

how silly of you to say that I asked that, I never asked, "how did the flesh come to life?". if so please post the Number where I said that.

Another ERROR on your part. he God "took Part" in our humanity, not a Partaker, but took Part, get it right please. scripture, Hebrews 2:14 "Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil;"

understand the difference between "TOOK PART" vs "PARTAKE".

FINALLY, so common sense of the scriptures. God is our redeemer, as the "Diversity" of himself in flesh. and the Spirit in that flesh was G2758 κενόω kenoo (ke-no-ō') and that's why the undiversified Spirit was in, in, in, Christ. for the same Spirit that was in Christ is the Spirit of Christ who was in the Prophets in the OT, (see 1 Peter 1:10 & 11). I know you want read this, but it would be a suprise if you do.

and that way is what I been saying all this time..... "Diversity"........ :rolleyes:

did that That Revelation 1:1 question get to you?

PICJAG
I'm not interested, sorry.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
and? .......... is not Jesus the Christ the ONE TRUE GOD "Shared" in flesh? is he NOT?

PICJAG.
[MKJV] John 8:42
Jesus said to them, If God were your father, you would love Me, for I went forth and came from God; for I did not come of Myself, but He sent Me.

Jesus is the "word" of God com in the flesh. The devil I assume must of longed to "kill" God and here we have "christians" wanting Him , "God" to die.
Never once did Jesus claim to be God... Never.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
[MKJV] John 8:42
Jesus said to them, If God were your father, you would love Me, for I went forth and came from God; for I did not come of Myself, but He sent Me.

Jesus is the "word" of God com in the flesh. The devil I assume must of longed to "kill" God and here we have "christians" wanting Him , "God" to die.
Never once did Jesus claim to be God... Never.
GINOLJC, to all
Isaiah 43:10 "Ye are my witnesses, saith the LORD, and my servant whom I have chosen: that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me."
Isaiah 43:11 "I, even I, am the LORD; and beside me there is no saviour."

who is the saviour? answer the LORD, all caps, the "I AM" he

John 8:24 "I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins."

How many way must he say that he is GOD?.... "I AM he" but just like he said, "that ye may know and believe me, and understand"
and here's that Lack of understanding. Listen carefully, John 8:23 "And he said unto them, Ye are from beneath; I am from above: ye are of this world; I am not of this world." (BINGO), Jesus just told you that he is God, he said, "I am not of this world", Hello, hello, are the light blubs coming on? one has to be in gross Darkness not to understand that.

PICJAG.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did Jesus claim to be God?
OP ^

Yes.

I and my father are one.
John 10:30

I am he.
John 9:9

To Philip:
John 14:
[
7] If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also: and from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him.

Mark 14:61
[61] ...the high priest asked him, and said unto him, Art thou the Christ, the Son of the Blessed?
[62] And Jesus said, I am:

Glory to God,
Taken

Reactions: Cooper

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
GINOLJC, to all
Isaiah 43:10 "Ye are my witnesses, saith the LORD, and my servant whom I have chosen: that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me."
Isaiah 43:11 "I, even I, am the LORD; and beside me there is no saviour."

who is the saviour? answer the LORD, all caps, the "I AM" he

John 8:24 "I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins."

How many way must he say that he is GOD?.... "I AM he" but just like he said, "that ye may know and believe me, and understand"
and here's that Lack of understanding. Listen carefully, John 8:23 "And he said unto them, Ye are from beneath; I am from above: ye are of this world; I am not of this world." (BINGO), Jesus just told you that he is God, he said, "I am not of this world", Hello, hello, are the light blubs coming on? one has to be in gross Darkness not to understand that.

PICJAG.
No He never did, lets make it simple.

[MKJV] Acts 7:55
But being full of the Holy Spirit, looking up intently into Heaven, he saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing at the right hand of God

[MKJV] John 5:30
I can do nothing of My own self. As I hear, I judge, and My judgment is just, because I do not seek My own will, but the will of the Father who has sent Me.

But everyone wants God to die as if God could.

to add to teh bits you left out

25 Then they said to Him, Who are you? And Jesus said to them, Even the same which I also say to you. 26 I have many things to say and to judge of you, but He who sent Me is true, and I speak to the world those things what I heard of Him. 27 They did not understand that He spoke to them of the Father

seems you dont know that either

2 Chr. 34:19

Jun 20, 2020
Chester ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

PICJAG.
=)

Reactions: 101G