Did Jesus die on Friday?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes but ask a Jew when is sabbath and they will tell you it is saturday! that is the normal, usual, common way of thinking rand referring to teh Sabbath. Maybe the 54 other times teh sabbath is mentioned in the NT and the hundreds of times in teh OT do not mean the seventh day as was established in creation and encoded in t4eh Mosaic Law, but all of them are based on teh small times Sabbath was uses for a high day! C'mon get real.

Well you can believe what you want but commoons sense, common usage ,, construction of the phrase all show you are wrong- Have fun, have lthe last word. this has become a dead end. YOu want to have Jesus die on another day- fine! YOu are wrong and will stay wrong- but whatever floats your boat.
Why do people always give up? I said that if the High Holy Day was on a Saturday the gospel accounts would be filled with errors. That doesn't bother you?!! Aren't you even curious why? Did you watch the video? Did you attempt to harmonized the gospel accounts on your own?

When do the women have the time to prepare the spices?

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Luke 23:54-56 . . And that day was the preparation, and the sabbath drew
on. And the women also, which came with him from Galilee, followed after,
and beheld the sepulcher, and how his body was laid. And they returned,
and prepared spices and ointments; and rested the sabbath day according to
the commandment.

During Passover season, at Jerusalem's latitude, nights and days are nearly
equal length, i.e. roughly 12 hours each.

So if Jesus passed away at 3.pm, then his friends had approximately three
hours to get him buried seeing as the civil day ran from 6.am to 6.pm.
I'd guess the ladies had sufficient time to go shopping before merchants
closed their doors for the night.

NOTE: The preparation spoken of in the passage above is related to the first
night of the seven-day feast of Unleavened Bread (John 19:14) which, according
to Ex 12:16 is a sabbath night seeing as holy days begin and end at sunset.

Prep day is utilized for slaughtering and roasting lambs with fire in readiness
for the dinner that night. Jews also utilized that day to rid of their homes of
leavened bread.

Some years ago I was ridiculed by a fellow employee when he asked me
how it's possible to get three days and three nights between Friday
afternoon and Sunday morning. I could not answer him.

Not too long a time after that incident I ran across a Jewish man on the
radio who explained there are more sabbaths in the Old Testament than the
routine day of rest; and one of them is Passover night because the lamb
dinner coincides with the first night of the seven-day Feast of Unleavened
Bread. I wish I had known about that particular sabbath before the fellow
employee made fun of me.
_

Last edited:
Reactions: CadyandZoe

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm sorry Mary. I didn't address the points you made, because, as I said earlier they aren't relevant. We don't need Justin Martyr's testimony concerning the first day of the week, though it is helpful. The New Testament itself informs us that the early believers met on the first day of the week. This is without controversy..
Lol....Comparing Scripture that was written in the 1 century, which strongly suggest Sunday worship, with historical Christian writings written in the 2nd century that flat out say Sunday worship was the normal practice is irrelevant? But what your men have taught you, which is OPPOSITE of almost 1,900 years of Christian teaching/practice IS relevant???

CadyZoe, I appreciate all the time you have taken to repeat what your men have taught you. However, when you suggest that historical Christian documents that match up with what Scripture says are irrelevant just because they teach opposite of what you have been taught by your men....I just can't take you serious.

Mary

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why do people always give up? I said that if the High Holy Day was on a Saturday the gospel accounts would be filled with errors. That doesn't bother you?!! Aren't you even curious why? Did you watch the video? Did you attempt to harmonized the gospel accounts on your own?

No it is your opinion and not the gospels that is filled with errors. Anyone reading the passage normally would recognize that that particular Sabbath (Saturday) was a high day.

It would be like saying in prior America when the blue laws closed nearly all businesses on Sunday for a day of Worship. And Christmas was on a Sunday that year. Then to say the event would be: "We must finish the work before the Day of Worship, for that Day is a high day!

Grammar requires that the phrase "that Sabbath" refers back to its nearest antecedent not forward. And the nearest prior antecedent is simply th eSabbath which th ewrioter happened to say that it also was a high day!

If you do n't understand that , I can't help you.

I have harmonized teh accounts long long long ago.

Why don't you put in yor words why6 you believe th eScriptures are filled with erros when hundreds of thousands of Jewsih and church scholars and historians were so dumb to miss it?

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Luke 23:54-56 . . And that day was the preparation, and the sabbath drew
on. And the women also, which came with him from Galilee, followed after,
and beheld the sepulcher, and how his body was laid. And they returned,
and prepared spices and ointments; and rested the sabbath day according to
the commandment.

During Passover season, at Jerusalem's latitude, there's at least twelve
hours of daylight (John 11:9).

So if Jesus passed away at 3.pm, then his friends had approximately three
hours to get him buried seeing as the civil day ran from 6.am to 6.pm.
I'd guess the ladies had sufficient time to go shopping before merchants
closed their doors for the night.

NOTE: The preparation spoken of in the passage above is related to the first
night of the seven-day feast of Unleavened Bread (John 19:14) which, according
to Ex 12:16 is a sabbath night seeing as holy days begin and end at sunset.

Prep day is utilized for slaughtering and roasting lambs with fire in readiness
for the dinner that night. Jews also utilized that day to rid of their homes of
leavened bread.

Some years ago I was ridiculed by a fellow employee when he asked me
how it's possible to get three days and three nights between Friday
afternoon and Sunday morning. I could not answer him.

Not too long a time after that incident I ran across a Jewish man on the
radio who explained there are more sabbaths in the Old Testament than the
routine day of rest; and one of them is Passover night because the lamb
dinner coincides with the first night of the seven-day Feast of Unleavened
Bread. I wish I had known about that particular sabbath before the fellow
employee made fun of me.
_
Matthew says that Joseph of Arimathea spoke to Pilate about the body of Jesus "when it was evening"? What time of day is "evening?" Can work be done after that time?

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lol....Comparing Scripture that was written in the 1 century, which strongly suggest Sunday worship, with historical Christian writings written in the 2nd century that flat out say Sunday worship was the normal practice is irrelevant?
It's not relevant to the question at hand, no.

CadyZoe, I appreciate all the time you have taken to repeat what your men have taught you. However, when you suggest that historical Christian documents that match up with what Scripture says are irrelevant just because they teach opposite of what you have been taught by your men....I just can't take you serious.
Mary
Why do you insult me?

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No it is your opinion and not the gospels that is filled with errors.
I didn't say that the gospel was filled with errors. I said your interpretation is in error because it makes no sense of the gospels.

Anyone reading the passage normally would recognize that that particular Sabbath (Saturday) was a high day.
I am reading it normally.

Grammar requires that the phrase "that Sabbath" refers back to its nearest antecedent not forward. And the nearest prior antecedent is simply th eSabbath which th ewrioter happened to say that it also was a high day!
It isn't a matter of Grammar. The grammar works with my interpretation also. John is explaining Jewish customs to people who are unfamiliar with them. His Jewish audience would already know that a High Holy Day is a day of rest. To help his Gentile audience understand why the authorities didn't leave the body of Jesus on the cross until he suffocated as was typical of a Roman execution, he explains that the body had to come down due to the fact that the next day was a High Holy Day, which is also a day of rest.

Last edited:

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I didn't say that the gospel was filled with errors. I said your interpretation is in error because it makes no sense of the gospels.

I am reading it normally.

It isn't a matter of Grammar. The grammar works with my interpretation also. John is explaining Jewish customs to people who are unfamiliar with them. His Jewish audience would already know that a High Holy Day is a day of rest.

No grammar doesn't work. It becomes a foolish statement. YOu wish to interchange Sabbath sand high day, simply because some high days were called Sabbaths! But for God to inpire this :

John 19:31
The Jews therefore, because it was the preparation, that the bodies should not remain upon the cross on the high day, (for that high day was an high day,) besought Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away.

YOu really want to defend that as proper Grammar coming from teh God who created grammar????????

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It isn't a matter of Grammar. The grammar works with my interpretation also. John is explaining Jewish customs to people who are unfamiliar with them. His Jewish audience would already know that a High Holy Day is a day of rest.

Yes Jewish readers would know that a high day was a Sabbath, but they would not know that THAT high day was also the normal Sabbath (Saturday).

It is you hthat has to prove that Sabbath mentioned three times in that passagfe all mean just a high day and not teh normal Saturday Sabbath!.

I will not respond further until you do.

But go bring yhour bible to a grammar school English teacher and ask her if JOhn wa ssaying that that Saturday was also a high saturday (Sabbath) and see what they say!

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No grammar doesn't work. It becomes a foolish statement. YOu wish to interchange Sabbath sand high day, simply because some high days were called Sabbaths! But for God to inpire this :

The Jews therefore, because it was the preparation, that the bodies should not remain upon the cross on the high day, (for that high day was an high day,) besought Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away.

YOu really want to defend that as proper Grammar coming from teh God who created grammar????????
I'm not defending your reconstruction of the passage. Your argument is a straw man. Why would you make something up just to critique what you made up? What's the point?

I have NOT interchanged Sabbath and High Day as you suggest. In my view, as you seemed to understand, the term "Sabbath" doesn't necessarily refer to Saturday. John isn't saying that the High Holy Day fell on a Saturday. He is saying that among all the various types of Sabbath days, this particular Sabbath day is a High Holy Day.

You may not agree with this but the grammar works fine.

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes Jewish readers would know that a high day was a Sabbath, but they would not know that THAT high day was also the normal Sabbath (Saturday).

It is you hthat has to prove that Sabbath mentioned three times in that passagfe all mean just a high day and not teh normal Saturday Sabbath!.

I will not respond further until you do.

But go bring yhour bible to a grammar school English teacher and ask her if JOhn wa ssaying that that Saturday was also a high saturday (Sabbath) and see what they say!
Don't respond then. I don't care. You are just repeating yourself over and over anyway. I already gave you the proof in my video, which I created so we wouldn't need to create long posts.

Your interpretation gives zero time for the women to prepare the spices for burial. You don't seem to care.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not defending your reconstruction of the passage. Your argument is a straw man. Why would you make something up just to critique what you made up? What's the point?

I have NOT interchanged Sabbath and High Day as you suggest. In my view, as you seemed to understand, the term "Sabbath" doesn't necessarily refer to Saturday. John isn't saying that the High Holy Day fell on a Saturday. He is saying that among all the various types of Sabbath days, this particular Sabbath day is a High Holy Day.

You may not agree with this but the grammar works fine.

Sabbath in its normal usage and context would always refer to a Saturday! John lets people know that this Saturday (the next day ) was a high day! which is why I dubbed it a double Sabbath. It being the SDabbath because it was Saturday and also a high day or Sabbath (of which I believe there were four outside of Saturdays)

And now you are trying to separate the high holy day from being called Sabbath!

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Don't respond then. I don't care. You are just repeating yourself over and over anyway. I already gave you the proof in my video, which I created so we wouldn't need to create long posts.

Your interpretation gives zero time for the women to prepare the spices for burial. You don't seem to care.

Well as they were already ready, they needed little to no time- an irrelevant argument in the culture.

YOu can believe Jesus died on whatever day of teh week you wish.

I keep repeating because the facts are teh facts and need nothing else. You propose hypotheticals. But I will rewatch you rvideo again to see if I missed a salient point to you rmisunderstanding.

I am outta here.

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sabbath in its normal usage and context would always refer to a Saturday! John lets people know that this Saturday (the next day ) was a high day! which is why I dubbed it a double Sabbath. It being the SDabbath because it was Saturday and also a high day or Sabbath (of which I believe there were four outside of Saturdays)

And now you are trying to separate the high holy day from being called Sabbath!
How? As I already said, and you agreed, there is more than one kind of Sabbath. John is telling his readers which particular kind of Sabbath is in view.

Again, if you disagree, fine. But I wish you would understand my view before you critique it. In order to understand another person's point of view we need to provisionally and temporarily suspend our own point of view.

Have you ever seen the picture that looks like a woman to some people, while it looks like a duck to someone else? If I see the woman but someone claims to see a duck, I don't continue to insist that it's a woman; I attempt to see the duck. I want to see what the other person sees so I spend the time it takes to see it.

I'm telling you that I have good reasons why that Particular High Holy Day did NOT take place on a Saturday. You never once asked me to show you why. I'm a bit confused why you continue to bring the conversation back to this one point. Once you see that it is impossible for that particular High Holy Day to fall on a Saturday, then you will see why grammar isn't the issue.

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well as they were already ready, they needed little to no time- an irrelevant argument in the culture.

YOu can believe Jesus died on whatever day of teh week you wish.

I keep repeating because the facts are teh facts and need nothing else. You propose hypotheticals. But I will rewatch you rvideo again to see if I missed a salient point to you rmisunderstanding.

I am outta here.

Let's look at the verse in question and draw some logical conclusions.

31 Then the Jews, because it was the day of preparation, so that the bodies would not remain on the cross on the Sabbath (for that Sabbath was a high day), asked Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away.

• Since it was preparation day, it wasn't the Sabbath day.
  • The legs were broken the same day, i.e. on the day of preparation.
  • The bodies were on the cross that day, but were removed before the following day started.
  • The following day, which was a sabbath, begin that same evening.

John 19:41
42 Therefore because of the Jewish day of preparation, since the tomb was nearby, they laid Jesus there.

• Jesus was laid in the tomb before the day of preparation ended.

Matthew 27:59-61
And Joseph took the body and wrapped it in a clean linen cloth, 60 and laid it in his own new tomb, which he had hewn out in the rock; and he rolled a large stone against the entrance of the tomb and went away. 61 And Mary Magdalene was there, and the other Mary, sitting opposite the grave.
. . .
65 Pilate said to them, “You have a guard; go, make it as secure as you know how.” 66 And they went and made the grave secure, and along with the guard they set a seal on the stone.

• Joseph placed the stone against the entrance of the tomb.
  • A guard sealed the tomb so as to make it secure.
  • Women couldn't gain access until daylight, but the stone was over the entrance by then.
Mark 16:1-3
When the Sabbath was over, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome, bought spices, so that they might come and anoint Him. 2 Very early on the first day of the week, they *came to the tomb when the sun had risen. 3 They were saying to one another, “Who will roll away the stone for us from the entrance of the tomb?”

• The women buy the spices when the Sabbath was over.
  • The women came to the tomb on the first day of the week.
  • The women came to the tomb when the sun had risen.
  • The stone was on the tomb entrance by then.

Luke 24:1
But on the first day of the week, at early dawn, they came to the tomb bringing the spices which they had prepared.

The women brought spices they prepared in advance of the early dawn of the first day of the week.
They must have bought and prepared the spices a few days earlier.
Not the day before because it was a Sabbath day.

The only way this works is if there were two Sabbath days with an intervening day in between. According to John's gospel, Jesus was buried on the day of preparation so that his body would not remain on the cross the next day, which was a High Holy Day. The next day no work could be done, so the women bought the spices the next day, the day after the High Holy Day. The woman brought the spices to the tomb on the first day of the week, so the previous day was the weekly Sabbath.

Day one: Jesus was in the tomb on the High Holy Day. (A day when no work can be done.)
Day two: The women buy and prepare the spices. (A day when work can be done.)
Day three: The weekly Sabbath. (A day when no work can be done)
Day four: The women bring the spices they prepared only to find the empty tomb. (A day when work can be done.)

Hopefully you can see why two Sabbath days make sense of the movement of the women.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How? As I already said, and you agreed, there is more than one kind of Sabbath. John is telling his readers which particular kind of Sabbath is in view.

Again, if you disagree, fine. But I wish you would understand my view before you critique it. In order to understand another person's point of view we need to provisionally and temporarily suspend our own point of view.

Have you ever seen the picture that looks like a woman to some people, while it looks like a duck to someone else? If I see the woman but someone claims to see a duck, I don't continue to insist that it's a woman; I attempt to see the duck. I want to see what the other person sees so I spend the time it takes to see it.

I'm telling you that I have good reasons why that Particular High Holy Day did NOT take place on a Saturday. You never once asked me to show you why. I'm a bit confused why you continue to bring the conversation back to this one point. Once you see that it is impossible for that particular High Holy Day to fall on a Saturday, then you will see why grammar isn't the issue.

If you wish to show me show me ! YOu have been squaking here for 96 posts and have had ample time to present your case. I presented mine. You are a lousy lawyer in the arena of discussion!

Last edited:

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew says that Joseph of Arimathea spoke to Pilate about the body of
Jesus "when it was evening"? What time of day is "evening?" Can work be
done after that time?

Here's the key phrase in another translation of Matt 27:57

"As evening approached"

And in Luke 23:54 it reads:

"And that day was the preparation, and the sabbath drew on."

Morning and Evening in the Bible are somewhat ambiguous. As a rule of
thumb: morning consists of any hour between sunrise and high noon, and
evening consists of any hour between high noon and sunset. That rule isn't
always true of course; but sometimes it's useful.
_

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let's look at the verse in question and draw some logical conclusions.

31 Then the Jews, because it was the day of preparation, so that the bodies would not remain on the cross on the Sabbath (for that Sabbath was a high day), asked Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away.

• Since it was preparation day, it wasn't the Sabbath day.
  • The legs were broken the same day, i.e. on the day of preparation.
  • The bodies were on the cross that day, but were removed before the following day started.
  • The following day, which was a sabbath, begin that same evening.

John 19:41
42 Therefore because of the Jewish day of preparation, since the tomb was nearby, they laid Jesus there.

• Jesus was laid in the tomb before the day of preparation ended.

Matthew 27:59-61
And Joseph took the body and wrapped it in a clean linen cloth, 60 and laid it in his own new tomb, which he had hewn out in the rock; and he rolled a large stone against the entrance of the tomb and went away. 61 And Mary Magdalene was there, and the other Mary, sitting opposite the grave.
. . .
65 Pilate said to them, “You have a guard; go, make it as secure as you know how.” 66 And they went and made the grave secure, and along with the guard they set a seal on the stone.

• Joseph placed the stone against the entrance of the tomb.
  • A guard sealed the tomb so as to make it secure.
  • Women couldn't gain access until daylight, but the stone was over the entrance by then.
Mark 16:1-3
When the Sabbath was over, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome, bought spices, so that they might come and anoint Him. 2 Very early on the first day of the week, they *came to the tomb when the sun had risen. 3 They were saying to one another, “Who will roll away the stone for us from the entrance of the tomb?”

• The women buy the spices when the Sabbath was over.
  • The women came to the tomb on the first day of the week.
  • The women came to the tomb when the sun had risen.
  • The stone was on the tomb entrance by then.

Luke 24:1
But on the first day of the week, at early dawn, they came to the tomb bringing the spices which they had prepared.

The women brought spices they prepared in advance of the early dawn of the first day of the week.
They must have bought and prepared the spices a few days earlier.
Not the day before because it was a Sabbath day.

The only way this works is if there were two Sabbath days with an intervening day in between. According to John's gospel, Jesus was buried on the day of preparation so that his body would not remain on the cross the next day, which was a High Holy Day. The next day no work could be done, so the women bought the spices the next day, the day after the High Holy Day. The woman brought the spices to the tomb on the first day of the week, so the previous day was the weekly Sabbath.

Day one: Jesus was in the tomb on the High Holy Day. (A day when no work can be done.)
Day two: The women buy and prepare the spices. (A day when work can be done.)
Day three: The weekly Sabbath. (A day when no work can be done)
Day four: The women bring the spices they prepared only to find the empty tomb. (A day when work can be done.)

Hopefully you can see why two Sabbath days make sense of the movement of the women.

Well I rewatched teh video. Lots of hard work to be commended for teh diligent labor.

BUT the two fatal errors.

I researched with my best mentor Dr. Arnold Fruchtenbaum!
Before He became a Messianic Jew He had been studying onder his father ( a chief rabbi) to become a chief rabbi or rabbi over rabbis! He knows Jewish culture! He has lived in Jerusalem, studied at Hebrew University and has written extensively on teh life and time of Jesus.

Here are the two fatal flaws that destroy the videos argument.

1. The high days were not called Sabbaths until after the time of Jesus. Before that they were called High Days or days of holy convocation just as scripture declared. I just learned that myself. so calling them a high Sabbath is technically incorrect biblically. Colloquially they are fine but that is not the biblical language.

2. the speaker simply did not know Jewish culture and how they counted a day! Teh Jews considered any part of a day- a whole day when talking without specific modifying terms. so when Jesus daid three days and three nights ( He also said on the third day and also after three days) All that was understood is that He would spend Friday, Saturday and Sunday or any part of those days thereof and He would have spoken exactly as His listeners understood! so Jesus was buried on Friday, spent all of Saturday in the tomb also and rose after sundown sand before the women arrived,
which in the culture of the day was three days and three nights! It is us who lost understanding of these idiom of language!

3. Once again I checked! grammatically even with Calling the day of Preparation a high day, it would still be Saturday. Teh Jews of Jesus day di dnot call them High Sabbaths or Sabbath, but high days and days of holy convocation!

Sorry the speaker can have his belief, but it is simply not based on fact!

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well I rewatched teh video. Lots of hard work to be commended for teh diligent labor.

BUT the two fatal errors.

I researched with my best mentor Dr. Arnold Fruchtenbaum!
Before He became a Messianic Jew He had been studying onder his father ( a chief rabbi) to become a chief rabbi or rabbi over rabbis! He knows Jewish culture! He has lived in Jerusalem, studied at Hebrew University and has written extensively on teh life and time of Jesus.

Here are the two fatal flaws that destroy the videos argument.

1. The high days were not called Sabbaths until after the time of Jesus. Before that they were called High Days or days of holy convocation just as scripture declared. I just learned that myself. so calling them a high Sabbath is technically incorrect biblically. Colloquially they are fine but that is not the biblical language.

2. the speaker simply did not know Jewish culture and how they counted a day! Teh Jews considered any part of a day- a whole day when talking without specific modifying terms. so when Jesus daid three days and three nights ( He also said on the third day and also after three days) All that was understood is that He would spend Friday, Saturday and Sunday or any part of those days thereof and He would have spoken exactly as His listeners understood! so Jesus was buried on Friday, spent all of Saturday in the tomb also and rose after sundown sand before the women arrived,
which in the culture of the day was three days and three nights! It is us who lost understanding of these idiom of language!

3. Once again I checked! grammatically even with Calling the day of Preparation a high day, it would still be Saturday. Teh Jews of Jesus day di dnot call them High Sabbaths or Sabbath, but high days and days of holy convocation!

Sorry the speaker can have his belief, but it is simply not based on fact!
Where is your Biblical evidence that the Jews counted a partial day as a whole day? I showed Mary, from the Bible, that the Jews did NOT count a partial day as a whole day. That idea is totally bogus. (Refer to the parable of the landowner. Matthew 20)

Jesus said he would be three days and three nights in the earth in a like manner as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of a whale. There is nothing in the account of Jonah to suggest partial days and nights.

The counting of partial days is dubious. For one, we can't count Friday as a partial day because Friday was already finished before Jesus was placed in the tomb. Remember, we are counting the days and nights that Jesus was in the tomb. Jesus was dead three hours before the end of the day, but he didn't rest in the tomb until evening when the day was over. Friday was not a partial day. It was evening when Joseph laid Jesus in tomb. You can't count Friday in any scenario.

Sunday was not a partial day because according to the text, the tomb was empty when the women found the tomb on Sunday morning. Again, we are counting the days that Jesus was in the tomb. We have NO Biblical evidence that Jesus was in the tomb on Sunday. So then, You can't count Sunday in any scenario. All you have is Saturday.

Does 1=3? I don't think so.

Finally, the partial day theory leaves NO time for the women to purchase and prepare spices for the burial of Jesus.

As we read the gospel of John, we must bear in mind that John the apostle was not speaking as a scholar to scholars. He was speaking as an ambassador of Jesus Christ to a second generation of believers, many of them Gentiles, who had little contact with Jewish culture. John's gospel contains many editorial comments whereby John explains various Jewish ideas to his readers. John 19 is not the only case.

I began reading the gospel of John and I found the following passage, which contains one such editorial comment. In this passage John defines the term "rabbi."

John 1:35-39
Again the next day John was standing with two of his disciples, and he looked at Jesus as He walked, and *said, “Behold, the Lamb of God!” The two disciples heard him speak, and they followed Jesus. And Jesus turned and saw them following, and *said to them, “What do you seek?” They said to Him, “Rabbi (which translated means Teacher), where are You staying?” He *said to them, “Come, and you will see.” So they came and saw where He was staying; and they stayed with Him that day, for it was about the tenth hour.

So then, when John tells his readers that a particular "Sabbath" was a "High Holy Day" he isn't speaking as a scholar to scholars. He is speaking to an audience that doesn't know the meaning of the word "rabbi."

John 1:41-42
He *found first his own brother Simon and *said to him, “We have found the Messiah” (which translated means Christ). 42 He brought him to Jesus. Jesus looked at him and said, “You are Simon the son of John; you shall be called Cephas” (which is translated Peter).

So then, within the context of only seven verses, we have three different editorial comments where John defines the meanings of various words. He also explains Jewish custom as we see in the following passage.

John 4:7-8
There *came a woman of Samaria to draw water. Jesus *said to her, “Give Me a drink.” For His disciples had gone away into the city to buy food. Therefore the Samaritan woman *said to Him, “How is it that You, being a Jew, ask me for a drink since I am a Samaritan woman?” (For Jews have no dealings with Samaritans.)

There might be other editorial comments in his gospel. The point is, we have three editorial comments within the first chapter and one in the fourth, alerting the reader to information that might be unfamiliar. When the gospel record calls for it, John explains Jewish customs, presumably to those who wouldn't know.

For this reason, I have no problem with John's explanation that a particular "day of rest" was a High Holy Day.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where is your Biblical evidence that the Jews counted a partial day as a whole day? I showed Mary, from the Bible, that the Jews did NOT count a partial day as a whole day. That idea is totally bogus. (Refer to the parable of the landowner. Matthew 20)

go to a synagogue and get some education.