Did Jesus know that he was God?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Luke 1:

35 The angel answered, “The Holy Spirit will come on you [Mary], and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the holy one to be born will be called the Son of God.
Mary knew that Jesus was the Son of God.

Jesus called God his Father in Luke 2:

And he said to them, “Why were you looking for me? Did you not know that I must be in my Father’s house?”
Matthew 3:

17 and behold, a voice from heaven said, “This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased.”
Jesus knew that he was the Son of God.

Yes, Jesus implied that he was God in Mark 10:18.

But then Jesus acted humbly about it, Philippians 2:

6 though he [Jesus] was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped,b 7 but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. 8 And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross.
While Jesus was on earth, he humbled himself and called himself the Son of God. That was his title and his role.

See also Is Jesus God?.

Reactions: Randy Kluth

GISMYS_7

Jun 22, 2017
southern USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

John 14:8-10​

He Who Has Seen Me Has Seen The Father​

8 Philip says to Him, “Lord, show us the Father, and it is enough for us”. 9 Jesus says to him, “Am I with you[a] all for so long a time, and you[b] have not known[c] Me, Philip?— the one having seen Me has seen the Father. How is it you say, ‘Show us the Father’? 10 Do you not believe that I am in the Father, and the Father is in Me? I am not speaking the words which I am saying to you[d] from Myself, but the Father abiding in Me is doing His works.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death
Becoming? That means change. Change is not in the nature of God.

Becoming obedient? Backwards. One who is not God obeys.

I submit there is another interpretation of Mark 10:18 that does not contradict the other 2 verses cited.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Luke 1:

Jesus called God his Father in Luke 2

The better THREAD would have been..

"Exactly WHEN Did Jesus KNOW : That He is the Son of God.

And that knowledge had a STING in it,..... as Jesus is the "word made flesh" and the bible is the word.
So, very very early on, Jesus knew 2 things...

1.) "Im the Messiah"

2.) And "They are going to nail me to a Tree,

and im going to HORRIBLY suffer on the CROSS for the sin of the world, so that by my Stripes and my Blood Sacrifice, = everyone can be healed, forgiven, and receive eternal life".

So, When i think about the Lonli Christ, in the Garden, in the middle of the night, ... dripping blood from His face....from the STRESS and the emotional cost of being under the law, at that time, and yet ... still so willing to "do thine will, Father"...
What i think about is how long did He know that the Cross was coming for Him....
How long?
As if He understood it, say at 5-6 yrs old, then He was under that strain, that weight, for nearly 30 yrs, and yet, He was always full of Joy and Peace.

Jesus The Christ.... was perhaps knowingly facing a savage execution for about 3 decades, and Yet, He was happy, joyful, loving, wonderful.
Always healing, always forgiving.

That is Amazing Grace, and that is why He can give it to you, reader, in your darkest hour, when you are have lost all hope..

Reader, have you ever been in a situation that was DRASTIC and there was no answer, no money, no cure, no HOPE< ?
Just remember.. . God is able to take care of whatever it is in your life. He can meet that need, solve that problem, and turn that situation around...... so that what seemed like all hope was lost, is really just giving God a chance to show you how much you mean to Him, and how much God loves you.

Go to God and let Him help you.... if im talking to you.
You know.

His GRACE is greater than your problem, and HE LOVES to be asked to help.
Its what God loves to do.
He solves the problems, He heals the situation, He turns it all around for you,.. .he brings the answer, the RELIEF you need.... because God loves you.
He really really does.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Becoming? That means change. Change is not in the nature of God.

Becoming obedient? Backwards. One who is not God obeys.

I submit there is another interpretation of Mark 10:18 that does not contradict the other 2 verses cited.
If Jesus became obedient, then what about before that? Either He was disobedient, or He was sovereign. Which would you say is correct?

Much love!

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If Jesus became obedient, then what about before that? Either He was disobedient, or He was sovereign. Which would you say is correct?
Neither. A new born baby is not sovereign. See post #3, which rejects your logical fallacy of False Alternative.

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
op: Did Jesus know He Was God?
Absolutely!:

"I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye​
believe not that I AM, ye shall die in your sins." (John 8:24)​
+
"Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before​
Abraham was, I AM." (John 8:58)​
+
Extensive Biblical Confirmation:

Amen.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Luke 1:

Matthew 3:

While Jesus was on earth, he humbled himself and called himself the Son of God. That was his title and his role.

See also Is Jesus God?.
I am one of those who believe Jesus was God in flesh, Emmanuel, God with us (Matthew 1:23). In other words, God came to earth in the form of a man. That would make Jesus God. He would have known he was God.

• Love
Reactions: GRACE ambassador

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
I am one of those who believe Jesus was God in flesh, Emmanuel, God with us (Matthew 1:23). In other words, God came to earth in the form of a man. That would make Jesus God. He would have known he was God.

Use this.

Philippians 2:6

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

John 1:14​

14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us,* (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

Reactions: TonyChanYT

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Luke 1:

Matthew 3:

See also Is Jesus God?.
Jesus implied......not!

You cite Mark 10:18 and then John 10:11,14 in that link, and then recklessly relate them by the common word 'good,' as your strong implication that Yahshua is calling himself 'good' and therefore God. Nothing could be further from the truth.

In Mark 10:18, if Yahshua was calling himself God by saying to that man only God is good, even as a teacher, then either Yahshua got up too early, a little out of it, and momentarily lost his identity and spoke of himself as God, or that he was clearly alert and meant that his Father was only God.

And then in John 10: 11, 14, the Greek word 'kalos' again for 'good,' and in context of what Yahshua was speaking about, meant and only meant, he was the good shepherd because he is the only one who brings new life to people. He was the only one who would protect, nurture and keep his people safe through him as the gateway to the Kingdom and new life of his Father. Not like the evil wicked shepherds that would come later to destroy and scatter the flock. And besides, he loved his Father God that he was also willing to die for him and those his Father God gave to him.

Now can you be more intellectually honest in your public writings here?

And you are not alone of course, one of many even on this site who are constantly looking for loop holes in scripture to artificially force your (false) theories of the nature of Yahshua and his Father onto others. It is a very dangerous past time, indeed.

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You cite Mark 10:18 and then John 10:11,14 in that link, and then recklessly relate them by the common word 'good,' as your strong implication that Yahshua is calling himself 'good' and therefore God. Nothing could be further from the truth.
You overgeneralized and jumped to conclusions. To prove that you are not, go ahead and quote my words and contradict them if you are able.

• Wow
Reactions: APAK

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You overgeneralized and jumped to conclusions. To prove that you are not, go ahead and quote my words and contradict them if you are able.
You are kidding me right?!

So, I'm now over-generalizing, when I I call you out. Soo what were you doing? I will give you a chance to clear things up and tell me what you truly meant about the 'goodness' of the Son versus the Father, and in the context of Mark and John scripture you quoted.

Now if this is not fair, then I do not know what is....

keltzkroz

Dec 15, 2023
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Luke 1:

Matthew 3:

See also Is Jesus God?.
You can answer your own question, by answering this question.
Does God have all power in heaven and in earth?
There is your answer.

Who has all power in heaven and earth?

• Love
Reactions: GRACE ambassador

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You can answer your own question, by answering this question.
Does God have all power in heaven and in earth?
There is your answer.

Who has all power in heaven and earth?
Welcome to these CB forums and site

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You are kidding me right?!
Again, you overgeneralized and jumped to conclusions. To prove that you are not, go ahead and quote my words and contradict them if you are able. This is the 2nd time I have asked.