Did Jesus say that we are supposed to attend church?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We can meet in a building , a cave or on a hill . Worship the LORD in Spirit and in Truth .
Its not the location that bothers me , Its when leaders of so many said churches are deceiving the flocks .
Cause we are told to flee such ones . Lambs can meet wherever we can . Just ensure the doctrine taught is sound .
And if the leadership is not teaching solid pure doctrine , but rather doctrines of men gone wrong , dont sit under those .
Correct those who do err and follow the pattern JESUS SET and the Apostels kept .

Ancient

Aug 6, 2021
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
"And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works:
Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching." Heb 10:24-25

This verse needs to be understood from the Hebraic perspective. It is the book of Hebrews after all. Most people believe this is the "church meeting" but remember this was written nearly 2000 yrs ago. the "assembling of ourselves together" are the feasts of Yahweh as it says to the Hebrews 3 times a year you are to assemble or gather together at the place where I put my Name i.e., Jerusalem. Ex 23:14, Ex 34:23, Deut 16:16
Those 3 times where Passover, Feast of Weeks/Shavuot and the Feast of Tabernacles/Sukkot which is not far away by the way. The assembly in Hebrew is qahal and edat these are the Hebrew words for assembly and congregation used in the context of all Israel and those that joined to them i.e. the mixed multitude. So we see there is an assembly or a congregation long long long before the so called church beginning of the Greek word Pentecost event, which again was the actual feast day called Feast of Weeks/Shavuot mentioned above, which explains why there were so many devout Jews from all the nations round about listed in Acts 2. Why? Because they were commanded to be there as the scripture verses above prove. The Feast of Weeks/Shavuot/Pentecost was one of the 3 times a year they has to gather together to assemble before Yahweh. Halleluyah His Word is so awesome
This is the context of the above verses written to the Hebrews.

Shalom

Reactions: amadeus and Ziggy

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Criticism goes deeper than the Catholic churches simply chaining Bibles.
Hey taken,

That is true. Criticism of The Church can go deeper than the reason that the Catholic Church, and Protestant Churches, chained bibles to the pulpit. But the same criticism you have of The Catholic Church can also be made of ALL denominations. But I get it, I get it. You have a hatred of the Catholic Church even though all Churches do the same thing so spare me your criticisms and lets stick to the subject at hand: Churches (Protestant and Catholic) chained the Bible to the pulpit because they were so expensive and desired. Weird thing is.....The Catholic Church gets chastised for chaining the Bible but the Protestant churches get a pass by you Protestants. How sad...

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Guess what?? I didn't and don't live two, three, four hundred years ago. I don't have to run to a handful of men to read for me, think for me, decide for me what applies to me.
If you still are sitting at the feet of a handful of men dictating your thoughts, your beliefs, your requirements, and have no need to verify in Scripture that it be so...
That's you...Perhaps you have not noticed, Heads of families, are not all men, and the Spiritual leadership of men has become pretty skimpy. If you think that simply a theory, or bankrupt...who cares? I don't.
I know me, better than you. I know what applies to me, by what I think, believe, do...
Also know that, better than you.
End of discussion.
Guess what??

There is NO/ZILCH/NADA/NINGUNO/la 'ahad/NONE/INGEN/ZADEN teaching in Scripture that says that each individual person can read Scripture and decide for themselves how it applies to them because they know themselves better than anyone else knows them. What you believe and what you practice is OPPOSITE of what Scripture teaches.

End of discussion.

Ancient

Aug 6, 2021
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Thanks in advance.

Do a word study on the word church and if possible break it down into the Greek and Hebrew. Very insightful exercise. You may find that the English word for church does not convey the biblical assembly or congregation. I will help you a little the Greek used for church is ekklesia. This can be found all over the OT in the Septuagint which is the Greek translation of the OT. The Septuagint was done by 70 or so Rabbis hence the name Septuagint as this is to do with the number 70. Interesting how they chose that Greek word for the Hebrew word qahal and edat which are the Hebrew words for assembly and congregation. The "church" goes all the way back to

NKJ Deuteronomy 4:10 "especially concerning the day you stood before the LORD your God in Horeb, when the LORD said to me,`Gather the people to Me, and I will let them hear My words, that they may learn to fear Me all the days they live on the earth, and that they may teach their children.'

The word Gather in the verse above is qahal in Hebrew and Ekklesia in Greek hmmm hope this provokes the mind and widely held beliefs.

Also another good word study is the Greek word sunagoge also means a bringing together, to gather together. This word also found in the Septuagint many times

NKJ Genesis 1:9 Then God said, "Let the waters under the heavens be gathered together into one place, and let the dry land appear"; and it was so.

"gathered together" here is Greek sunagoge. Sunagoge is how we get the English word synagogue.

Shalom

Reactions: Ziggy

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Church? Who else are we going to hang with? LOL
Any biblical reference to church or "the Church" is referring to Congregations...assemblies.
The Bible does not make reference to any Christian church buildings and nor does history.
To easy for the Romans and Judaizers to come in and harass the assembly.
But for sure the early Christians thought it was important to gather and worship the Lord.
Important enough to risk their lives to do it.
Back in the day, they gathered in private homes, the catacombs, the wilderness etc.
Does the Lord deserve for us to gather together and celebrate the Lord with hymns and praise and worship the Lord? I would say so. What else is a Christian suppose to do?
Shortly after Emperor Constantine issued the Edict of Milan he dedicated the Church of the Apostles in Jerusalem and went on to identify important Christian sites in and around Jerusalem and then built shrines and Churches.
Now today we live in a country that was built on the belief of religious freedom. We should be enthusiastic to assemble in our churches. But still it is about the gathering of Christians to fellowship and worship the Lord, now that can be done at a picnic or in someone's home. It is still a congregation. There is something about church hugs! We need to fellowship and support one another. To much aloneness in this world.

Reactions: Ancient and FHII

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ummmm.....Being told what to believe is what Scripture is all about kiddo. Jesus told the Apostles what to believe. They then told everyone else what to believe. The Apostles trained other men to go throughout all the world and tell everyone IN THE WORLD what to believe. If anyone taught opposite of what they taught they were false teachers.

You do know all this. Don't you?????

Ofcourse, and why when men could read and has access to Scripture is precisely why there are Protestants. :)

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul also calls for management and oversight of the ekklesia, in an attempt that all learn together from elders and preachers.
Good post overall, and I agree. I like how you said this a little better than what I said. You say "management and oversight" while I said "government". People get antsy when the Church is said to have a government. I used that term because the are used in 1 Corinthians 12:28 and 2 Peter 2:10. But terms like management and oversight may be more likeable terms.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey taken,

That is true. Criticism of The Church can go deeper than the reason that the Catholic Church, and Protestant Churches, chained bibles to the pulpit. But the same criticism you have of The Catholic Church can also be made of ALL denominations.

The glaring difference between a Catholic position and Protestant positions...is that some major points a Catholic teaches is nowere to be found in Scripture, with a built in excuse, that Scripture Alone, is the source by which to validate spiritual claims.

But I get it, I get it. You have a hatred of the Catholic Church

No, you do not "get it". If you got my understanding, you would be responding to what I say, instead of Speaking for me, and responding to your own words.

IF I "hate" something...I am quite capable of speaking for myself.

Churches (Protestant and Catholic) chained the Bible to the pulpit because they were so expensive and desired. Weird thing is.....The Catholic Church gets chastised for chaining the Bible but the Protestant churches get a pass by you Protestants. How sad...

You have already said that. Why repeat yourself? I made no "chastised" comment...
Nor did I see anyone else do so....
But yet you are sad.... strange.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Guess what??

There is NO/ZILCH/NADA/NINGUNO/la 'ahad/NONE/INGEN/ZADEN teaching in Scripture that says that each individual person can read Scripture and decide for themselves how it applies to them because they know themselves better than anyone else knows them. What you believe and what you practice is OPPOSITE of what Scripture teaches.

End of discussion.

LOL...another psychic onboard.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And you are not my enemy but the doctrines and teachings you currently cling to are another matter. I do (but sometimes fail) try to make that distinction clear.
Good Morning Sheepdog,

I know I am not your enemy. But the words you sometimes use in your post are personal and you could make a weaker person than me THINK they are your enemy. I am a strong person. I don't take your attacks personal. But the words you use are personal.

I know that "the doctrines and teachings you currently cling to" will probably change as you move thru life. FYI....I am solid and unwavering in my faith, belief, practices, teachings and doctrines. I wish you were also. You can continue to cling to yourself as the pillar and foundation of truth OR you could cling to what Scripture calls the pillar and foundation of truth. I have made my choice.

Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The glaring difference between a Catholic position and Protestant positions...is that some major points a Catholic teaches is nowere to be found in Scripture, with a built in excuse, that Scripture Alone, is the source by which to validate spiritual claims.

No, you do not "get it". If you got my understanding, you would be responding to what I say, instead of Speaking for me, and responding to your own words.

IF I "hate" something...I am quite capable of speaking for myself.

You have already said that. Why repeat yourself? I made no "chastised" comment...
Nor did I see anyone else do so....
But yet you are sad.... strange.
The opposite of hate is love. Since you don't love what The Church teaches then that means you hate it.

Perhaps chastise isn't the right word for your pointing out that The Church was chaining bibles. When you said that criticism of The Church goes deeper than the "...Catholic churches simply chaining Bibles." you didn't say the same about the Protestant churches that chained the bible. You like to point out what YOU believe The Church did wrong but you didn't point out that Protestant churches did the same. That is being dishonest...so I would like to change my accusation of you from chastising to being dishonest.

An Apologetic Sheepdog

Aug 12, 2021
Atlanta, Ga
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know that "the doctrines and teachings you currently cling to" will probably change as you move thru life. FYI....I am solid and unwavering in my faith, belief, practices, teachings and doctrines. I wish you were also. You can continue to cling to yourself as the pillar and foundation of truth OR you could cling to what Scripture calls the pillar and foundation of truth. I have made my choice.

As have I and one of the mires I was pulled from is the one you are currently in. I know that "wolf in sheep's clothing" quite well.

I don't speak from what I "read on the net" regarding them.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And you are not my enemy but the doctrines and teachings you currently cling to are another matter. I do (but sometimes fail) try to make that distinction clear.
Your name is An apologetic sheepdog. An apologist is a person who offers an argument in defense of something controversial. A sheepdog guards sheep.

With that said you liken yourself to a person who defends Christianity or the bible like a sheepdog would guard or keep sheep from harm. The sheep you are referring to are your fellow Christians...I presume. So you feel like you are guarding your fellow Christians from controversy. Instead you are creating controversy when you post things that are completely opposite of what Christianity teaches....IMO

Reactions: Ancient

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As have I and one of the mires I was pulled from is the one you are currently in. I know that "wolf in sheep's clothing" quite well.

I don't speak from what I "read on the net" regarding them.
YOU have decided that I am in a mire. There are 1.2 billion Catholics in the world and millions of Protestants that agree with some Catholic teachings. You are in the minority with your teachings. Does that concern you?

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are seven churches listed in the beginning of the book of Revelation.
Which of those seven was the "my church" spoken of at Matt 16:18?
_

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And what is this theory that is supposedly mine?
Oh goodness.....you have lost track of the conversation.

Your theory is that each individual person can read Scripture and decide for themselves how it applies to them because they know themselves better than anyone else knows them.

This is painful....:(