Did people receive the Holy Spirit and speak in tongues? Or did they speak in tongues ....?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry, I thought you were referring to "speaking in tongues."
I was making that reference.
But not in the context, or according to the Scripture you mentioned.

You know, the supernatural ability from the Holy Spirit.

Yes, according to a supernatural ability, is How a man was able to speak to another man, in the other mans own tongue (language), without the speaker having known the other mans tongue (language).

TODAY, the mention of "speaking in tongues" is "supposed to imply, that is some sort of exclusive ability for certain people to utter gibberish, that only God can understand, and any other man "hearing", has no clue what the person is saying, "because the speaker is speaking to God, not men".

What man can "interpret" that "utterance" ?
No one.

I was speaking of a man WHO "utters" words of another's mans tongue (language), To another man, IN his own tongue (language).
To the speaker, AND any other man Listening, it utterance, who does not Know the other tongue (language), the utterance, SOUNDS like gibberish.
What man can "interpret" that "utterance"?
The man hearing his own tongue (language) being spoken.
In that context, the Holy Spirit gave the speaker the ability, to Speak in another mans tongue (language), without the Speaker having known the other mans tongue (language).

Today should an individual man / preacher, learn Multiply Tongues (Languages), say: for example;
An English Speaking Preacher Learn:
German, French, Russian, Chinese, Spanish,
And Have in his Listening Crowd...
English, German, French, Russian, Chinese, Spanish speakers "only"...
That Preacher; could recite a Passage from Scripture, SIX Times; Each time in a different tongue (Language)...
English, German, French, Russian, Chinese, Spanish.

Every individual would KNOW what was being said in their own tongue (Language), and what was NOT, being spoken in a mans own tongue (Language), would Sound like "gibberish" to the other men.
( but in this case, ALSO the speaker would KNOW the tongue he is speaking ).
BECAUSE the speaker LEARNED to speak the different tongues, (Languages).

In the teaching IN ACTS 2, the speaker, speaking "to men" with MULTIPLE tongues (languages) in the audience;
The Speaker didn't "LEARN" others tongues (languages)....
They were given the supernatural ability TO Speak others tongues (languages), to such men listening.

The uttering, you are speaking of, is a man, speaking to God, in an unknown language.

Why would ANY other man, being hearing, such Utterance, if the man is speaking to God?

Paul was teaching, it serves no purpose for other men to Hear, A man uttering gibberish, TO GOD, in other mens presence, that is gibberish to their ears, with no interpreter...and really, no need for one, because the man speaking, is NOT speaking to "them".

Paul was teaching, IF a man IS speaking to men, then, the effort of the Speaker, is Better, to speak TO THEM, in a way, THEY CAN, understand what word of God, IS being said.

IOW, it would serve no purpose for YOU to go and listen to a Sermon in German, Chinese, French, IF you did not understand the tongue (Language), and there was no one to interpret for you.

I know of people, who for years, attended Church sermons, that the entire Sermon was in French and others in Latin, and they, the attendee, ONLY spoke and understood English.

One particular person, I asked, WHY? Her response was the Church was of her Religion, Close to her home, was very pretty decorated, and the Sermon and Singings Sounded pretty.
But, I asked, did you understand, anything that was being Spoken? answer...no.
Point being...SHE felt Good about attending.
Point being...SHE heard / learned nothing of Gods Word in that Church.

And that was Paul's Point. Gods Word is not gibberish, and needs to be heard in a tongue, language, men can hear and understand.

Glory to God,
Merry Christmas,
Taken

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.” (2 Timothy 3:16–17) (KJV 1900)

“For he received from God the Father honour and glory, when there came such a voice to him from the excellent glory, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased. And this voice which came from heaven we heard, when we were with him in the holy mount. We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts: Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.” (2 Peter 1:17–20) (KJV 1900)

But you reject God's word and say scripture is not sufficient. And that extra biblical voices are better when Peter says God speaking vocally to them on the mount of transfiguration did not measure up to the reliability of scripture.

You missed "instruction in righteousness." That is to walk in the Spirit. And He gives us tools to help. You think He gives instruction on how to use the gifts, and then takes them away once the manual is finished? That is just illogical, and making the manual itself an idol.

Last edited:
D

Dave L

You missed "instruction in righteousness." That is to walk in the Spirit. And He gives us tools to help. You think He gives instruction on how to use the gifts, and then takes them away once the manual is finished? That is just illogical, and making the manual itself an idol.
Jesus is the Word of God. His words are Spirit and life. We know the bible is God's word. And if we know it well enough, we know that it thoroughly furnishes in all that we need. And extra-biblical revelations are not God's word. But even the Devil in some cases.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus is the Word of God. His words are Spirit and life. We know the bible is God's word. And if we know it well enough, we know that it thoroughly furnishes in all that we need. And extra-biblical revelations are not God's word. But even the Devil in some cases.

If you can't see, you can't see. We will just have to agree to disagree. Paul said, 1 Corinthians 14:38. I'm done arguing, especially if it may lead you to blaspheme the Holy Spirit with talk of gifts being of the "Devil" as you are doing now. I honestly never thought you would play that card.

Last edited:
D

Dave L

If you can't see, you can't see. We will just have to agree to disagree. Paul said, 1 Corinthians 14:38. I'm done arguing, especially if it may lead you to blaspheme the Holy Spirit with talk of gifts being of the "Devil" as you are doing now. I honestly never thought you would play that card.
If you receive revelations apart from scripture, they are revelations apart from Christ. You in essence follow a false Christ.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you receive revelations apart from scripture, they are revelations apart from Christ. You in essence follow a false Christ.

That is blasphemy.

4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted the heavenly gift, and have become partakers of the Holy Spirit, 5 and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come, 6 if they fall away, to renew them again to repentance, since they crucify again for themselves the Son of God, and put Him to an open shame.

BTW, I reported you, but cancelled it before hitting send, giving you a second chance to repent of the devil card and now false Christ. I won't cancel a second report if it comes to that, whether on this post of about Jack Van Impe, or anyone.

Last edited:
D

Dave L

That is blasphemy.

4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted the heavenly gift, and have become partakers of the Holy Spirit, 5 and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come, 6 if they fall away, to renew them again to repentance, since they crucify again for themselves the Son of God, and put Him to an open shame.

BTW, I reported you, but cancelled it before hitting send, giving you a second chance to repent of the devil card and now false Christ. I won't cancel a second report if it comes to that.
God's word = scripture. It is found no where else. If you have the truth it will stand the test.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God's word = scripture. It is found no where else. If you have the truth it will stand the test.

I do have the truth, and know the gifts are for more than scripture, but also for building a personal relationship with God and communing with Him now, until we see Him face to face. If you can't hear Him anymore, or never have, maybe you never could. I don't really know you. But is that it? You now want to justify not growing? I've seen one well-known Cessationist write arrogantly, that if he didn't have any gifts, they don't exist.

Reactions: amadeus
D

Dave L

I do have the truth, and know the gifts are for more than scripture, but also for building a personal relationship with God. If you can't hear Him anymore, or never have, maybe you never could. I don't really know you. But is that it? You now want to justify not growing? I've seen one Cessationist write arrogantly, that if he didn't have any gifts, they don't exist.
The revelatory gifts no longer exist. Scripture replaced them. They expired with the apostles who distributed them. Today's "gifts" are not even close to the originals. Study God's word. That is where the fullness of the Spirit comes from. Jesus' words are Spirit and they are life.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The revelatory gifts no longer exist. Scripture replaced them. They expired with the apostles who distributed them. Today's "gifts" are not even close to the originals. Study God's word. That is where the fullness of the Spirit comes from. Jesus' words are Spirit and they are life.

His promises are true. The gifts are for more than scripture, but also for building a personal relationship with God and communing with Him now, until we see Him face to face. This is done. You can have the last word, but be warned. Any reference to the devil or false Christs and I WILL report you.

D

Dave L

His promises are true. The gifts are for more than scripture, but also for building a personal relationship with God and communing with Him now, until we see Him face to face. This is done. You can have the last word, but be warned. Any reference to the devil or false Christs and I WILL report you.
I'm placing you on ignore. I will not be threatened for speaking the truth.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And for the person who is illiterate and for the person who has no access to a written Bible, then, is there no Hope?

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is why we PREACH the word.
Not a wrong answer, but it does not completely answer the question. People in countries where they cannot, because of laws or circumstances, own a Bible or people who have never learned to read their own language are not automatically without Hope because they were not born some place like the United States. If their heart is sincere and they ask of God, He will provide according to His Word even to someone with no Bible or reading ability.

You seem to insist on limiting God to working according to what is available to most of us on this forum rather than considering the people who have no computer and no Bible and no reading ability. God has not forgotten them. Each person will be judged in accord with what he has done with what he has or what he does not have. God does not fit in your box.

Last edited:
Reactions: Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
That is why we PREACH the word.

You limit God Dave.
You believe that He can ONLY speak through His written word.

Romans shows that even with out a bible in your hand, He still speaks.

It says Romans 1:20
20 " For the invisible things of Him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse. "

He managed to speak to man long before there was ever a bible.
And He still does. Mankind has no excuse, neither does man need a bible to be spoken to by God.

You limit God, you limit the Holy Spirit, and you limit yourself bro.

Reactions: amadeus
D

Dave L

You limit God Dave.
You believe that He can ONLY speak through His written word.

Romans shows that even with out a bible in your hand, He still speaks.

It says Romans 1:20
20 " For the invisible things of Him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse. "

He managed to speak to man long before there was ever a bible.
And He still does. Mankind has no excuse, neither does man need a bible to be spoken to by God.

You limit God, you limit the Holy Spirit, and you limit yourself bro.
God limits his speaking verbally to Scripture. Of course the universe speaks of God's glory. When you move beyond scripture looking to hear from God, you are in the Devil's domain. And any voice you hear there is either your imagination or demonic.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
When you move beyond scripture looking to hear from God, you are in the Devil's domain. And any voice you hear there is either your imagination or demonic.

Says YOU!! That is just like someone telling @amadeus , myself...and some others too....that a man who can SEE clearly, is still blind... sorry you only have a relationship with your bible. Have fun xx

Reactions: Dave L

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@Dave L
I hit post, before I had added my thoughts after your quotes!! Ha!!

Reactions: Dave L
D

Dave L

Not a wrong answer, but it does not completely answer the question. People in countries they cannot, because of laws or circumstances, own a Bible or people who have never learned to read their own language are not automatically without Hope because they were not born some place like the United States. If their heart is sincere and they ask of God, He will provide according to His Word even to someone with no Bible or reading ability.

You seem to insist on limiting God to working according to what is available to most of us on this forum rather than considering the people who have no computer and no Bible and no reading ability. God has not forgotten them. Each person will be judged in accord with what he has done with what he has or what he does not have. God does not fit in your box.
It's not my box. It is scripture you are suggesting is incomplete.

“All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.” (2 Timothy 3:16–17) (KJV 1900)

D

Dave L

Says YOU!! That is just like someone telling @amadeus , myself...and some others too....that a man who can SEE clearly, is still blind... sorry you only have a relationship with your bible. Have fun xx
By your claims of needing extra-biblical revelation, you are rejecting scripture, and opening yourself for many related problems.