Did people receive the Holy Spirit and speak in tongues? Or did they speak in tongues ....?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

D

Dave L

the message was given to the Apostles and they spoke BY the Spirit to these men. now an example. God allowed a she ass, donkey, speak to a man and I'm sure the animal didn't have the Gift of interpertation. and the man riding the ass hear in his OWN LANGUAGE
No, Paul says when they spoke in tongues, they spoke only to God, not to men. Yet the devout Jews heard and understood. Why? Because they also received the Holy Spirit and the gift of interpretation.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Faith is a fruit of the Holy Spirit. How can anyone "believe" apart from already having the Holy Spirit? PS, your "gifts" expired with the apostles who distributed them, and are nothing like the originals.
ERROR again on your PART.
Romans 12:3 "For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith". it's what you do with it. .... meaning GROW it.

now about believe.
Acts 19:1 "And it came to pass, that, while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul having passed through the upper coasts came to Ephesus: and finding certain disciples,

Acts 19:2 "He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.

Dave, just from responding to you, it seems like you are ill informed of the Word of God. I believe you might need to re-examine yourself in the word of God.

Reactions: amadeus

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Every genuine believer has the baptism of the Holy Spirit.
Not *of* but WITH. These little words have caused a lot of confusion, but there is a baptism WITH the Spirit (when Christ pours out the Spirit upon the believer) and there is a baptism BY the Spirit (which is when the Holy Spirit immerses or joins believers to the Body of Christ, and for all intents and purposes, the two things are simultaneous, but distinct).

I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he [CHRIST] shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire (Mt 3:11)

For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit. (1 Cor 12:13)

The above are not the same as being *filled* with the Spirit, which is when the Holy Spirit is in full control of the Christians, and empowers the believer with boldness to testify of Christ, while enabling him or her to *walk in the Spirit*.

There is no such thing and being baptized *in* the Spirit.

D

Dave L

ERROR again on your PART.
Romans 12:3 "For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith". it's what you do with it. .... meaning GROW it.

now about believe.
Acts 19:1 "And it came to pass, that, while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul having passed through the upper coasts came to Ephesus: and finding certain disciples,

Acts 19:2 "He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.

Dave, just from responding to you, it seems like you are ill informed of the Word of God. I believe you might need to re-examine yourself in the word of God.
So everyone including Hitler and Al Capone had the Holy Spirit of which Faith is the fruit thereof?

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, Paul says when they spoke in tongues, they spoke only to God, not to men. Yet the devout Jews heard and understood. Why? Because they also received the Holy Spirit and the gift of interpretation.
once again, please give scripture when it says they received the gift of the Spirit, scripture please.

D

Dave L

Not *of* but WITH. These little words have caused a lot of confusion, but there is a baptism WITH the Spirit (when Christ pours out the Spirit upon the believer) and there is a baptism BY the Spirit (which is when the Holy Spirit immerses or joins believers to the Body of Christ, and for all intents and purposes, the two things are simultaneous, but distinct).

I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he [CHRIST] shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire (Mt 3:11)

For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit. (1 Cor 12:13)

The above are not the same as being *filled* with the Spirit, which is when the Holy Spirit is in full control of the Christians, and empowers the believer with boldness to testify of Christ, while enabling him or her to *walk in the Spirit*.

Thanks for the technical details.

D

Dave L

once again, please give scripture when it says they received the gift of the Spirit, scripture please.
They interpreted what was being said = gift of interpretation = Holy Spirit. Plus faith (devout Jew) is a fruit of the Holy Spirit.

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
On the topic subject, some received the Holy Spirit and spoke in tongues. Most did not speak in tongues.

It does not say those who spoke in tongues received the gift of tongues.

D

Dave L

On the topic subject, some received the Holy Spirit and spoke in tongues. Most did not speak in tongues.

“Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord. And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all. But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal. For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit; To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues: But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.” (1 Corinthians 12:4–11) (KJV 1900)

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
yes, John used "Water" for repentances,

notice, what if John used "milk" to baptize with. listen "I indeed baptize you with "MILK" unto ".
Milk was the method used for repentance. and John said that he, Jesus will use the Holy Ghost to place us into his BODY, the church. Jesus baptized with "the Holy Ghost". his method of use is the Holy Ghost to place us into his body.

now the baptism "of" the holy Ghost is to EMPOWER one already IN his body.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They interpreted what was being said = gift of interpretation = Holy Spirit. Plus faith (devout Jew) is a fruit of the Holy Spirit.
so I can take this as you cannot give scripture.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

in reply to this post, not everyone who is placed into the body speak in tongues. not everyone who is BORN of the Spirit is an apostle, or prophet, or a teacher... ect. everyone of us has a gifts. it's a matter of discovering it.

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I find this kind of amazing.

You're fussing about this but you have no problem with Easter in the KJV.

It is the baptism of the Holy Spirit. He is the one that indwells your spirit and baptizes you.

Indeed, we are baptized with the Holy Spirit.

So both are legitimate usages.

I agree in is not proper.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Every genuine believer has the baptism of the Holy Spirit.
If they do , then many of them are successful at quenching the Spirit even though the Apostle Paul has warned us:

"Quench not the Spirit." I Thess 5:19

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord. And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all. But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal. For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit; To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues: But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.” (1 Corinthians 12:4–11) (KJV 1900)

1 Corinthians 12:4-11 New International Version (NIV)
4 There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit distributes them. 5 There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. 6 There are different kinds of working, but in all of them and in everyone it is the same God at work.

7 Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. 8 To one there is given through the Spirit a message of wisdom, to another a message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, 9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, 10 to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues,a]">[a] and to still another the interpretation of tongues.b]">[b] 11 All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he distributes them to each one, just as he determines.

Let us differentiate here. Gift of the spirit is ongoing. A one time happening is like in the OT, a limited time manifestation.

Just because some at Pentecost and the very near future that time spoke in tongues does not mean it was an ongoing gift.

Reactions: Dave L

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How can the devout Jews understand a message given not to men, but only to God, according to Paul, if they did not receive the gift of interpretation (Holy Spirit) too?
How many times is it necessary for Jesus to touch us in order to receive a complete healing and revelation from God?

"And he took the blind man by the hand, and led him out of the town; and when he had spit on his eyes, and put his hands upon him, he asked him if he saw ought.
And he looked up, and said, I see men as trees, walking.
After that he put his hands again upon his eyes, and made him look up: and he was restored, and saw every man clearly." Mark 8:23-25

This corresponds to what Paul also wrote here:

"For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known." I Cor 13:12

This is the here a little, there a little also written about by the prophet Isaiah:

"But the word of the LORD was unto them precept upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little; that they might go, and fall backward, and be broken, and snared, and taken." Isaiah 28:13

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
in reply to this post, not everyone who is placed into the body speak in tongues. not everyone who is BORN of the Spirit is an apostle, or prophet, or a teacher... ect. everyone of us has a gifts. it's a matter of discovering it.

I don't agree with your wording. God gives a gift to whom he chooses.

There is no need to discover it because it will make itself obvious.
If they do , then many of them are successful at quenching the Spirit even though the Apostle Paul has warned us:

"Quench not the Spirit." I Thess 5:19

There are not two baptisms as the Pentecostals teach, there is only one.

After that is sanctification. Some are total failures and some are mediocre and some succeed fairly well. But the fact remains they are saved and had the baptism of the Holy Spirit.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Acts 2:4 "And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

Acts 2:5 "And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.

Acts 2:6 "Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.

Acts 2:7 "And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?

Acts 2:8 "And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?

Acts 2:9 "Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia,

Right, the disciples spoke in tongues, and the devout Jews listening each HEARD what the disciples were saying in their own tongue. That in no way implies that the tongues were, in fact, those languages, but it was what they HEARD.

Reactions: 101G