Did the ancient Pagan Religions get picked up as 'tradition'?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know the scriptures well.
What are the Protestants going to change to remove Paganism from their life?
What is it that God wrote with His own finger, lets start with that and especially read and understand the one He asks us to 'Remember', and then ask for the Holy Spirit to guide into all truth.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is it that God wrote with His own finger, lets start with that and especially read and understand the one He asks us to 'Remember', and then ask for the Holy Spirit to guide into all truth.
So am I am assuming that this is all about your hatred for the Catholics. I swear someone should start a haters religion so people like you can learn what type of character that produces...You might meet Satan there.

So you are just going whine? No proposed solution for the Protestant Pagan problem?

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So am I am assuming that this is all about your hatred for the Catholics. I swear someone should start a haters religion so people like you can learn what type of character that produces...You might meet Satan there.

So you are just going whine? No proposed solution for the Protestant Pagan problem?
My mother was Catholic, and so is all my family on her side. I am only giving you the truth, as the time is getting short, as we can all see from the events...

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My mother was Catholic, and so is all my family on her side. I am only giving you the truth, as the time is getting short, as we can all see from the events...
Truth! Look I am not much for haters, whiners, or people who sit like a bump on log and just want to be critics. They are generally cowards that sit watch people that actually get something done. So lets see you provide a solution for Protestants to rid themselves of Paganism.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's a corruption of the Roman accusations against Christians that they were Mithraists in disguise. Wrong today, for the same reason it was wrong then.
Not sure what you mean.
Care to explain?

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Truth! Look I am not much for haters, whiners, or people who sit like a bump on log and just want to be critics. They are generally cowards that sit watch people that actually get something done. So lets see you provide a solution for Protestants to rid themselves of Paganism.
Go back to what God set out from the beginning, that means you do not toss out half the Bible and reject what it has for us. As they see what God wrote in His Word, and grasp why its in there, they have to look around and see if it is what they are doing in their worship and living in their lives. And what God wrote with His own finger has to be part of that, not some of them, but all of them. Once they see that the true worship of God was substituted with a false one by a apostate church, they must drop the false "traditions" and ideas of men it brought in. Its not that hard, but time is coming to a end, and with it, the final judgment of God.

Revelation 20:12-15 King James Version (KJV)
12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

God forgives, if you see you are doing what is wrong or against God, just have to turn from it and to God. He is merciful and just, and will forgive and redeem those who humble themselves and repent.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The fact that your mother and some of your family are Catholic doesn't make YOU an "expert".
NINE of my twelve siblings were raised Catholic and are now Protestants - and they are are some of the most ignorant non-Catholics I know.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Catholics have a Bible. I am talking about Protestant involvement in Paganism. What do they have to Stop to separate themselves from Paganism

Reactions: Marymog

Yehren

Sep 12, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yehren writes:
It's a corruption of the Roman accusations against Christians that they were Mithraists in disguise. Wrong today, for the same reason it was wrong then.

Not sure what you mean.
Care to explain?

The Romans, always suspicious of new religions, accused Christians of the first and second centuries of actually being Mithraists. It was based on a complete misunderstanding of The Church and its beliefs.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yehren writes:

The Romans, always suspicious of new religions, accused Christians of the first and second centuries of actually being Mithraists. It was based on a complete misunderstanding of The Church and its beliefs.
I don't think I've read about that before since Mithraism was a pagan Roman religion.

Pagan Rome DID accuse the Early Church of cannibalism though, for their belief in the Real Presence and the Eucharist.

Reactions: Marymog

Yehren

Sep 12, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't think I've read about that before since Mithraism was a pagan Roman religion.

Actually, it is Iranian/Mesopotamian, although it was very popular among the Roman army in the first century AD. (it was limited to men). Elements of it still survive in the religion of the Parsees, Zoroasterans who fled Iran after the Muslim conquest.

There were a lot of foreign religions becoming popular in the empire, as the old pagan faiths were in decline. Many Romans confused the two.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
It seems that you have done a lot of study of Paganism. But I will play your game. How do you propose we get Paganism out of Protestantism?
Protestantism largely speaking is beating a path back to Rome rapidly. Anyone who is observing what is happening in this arena recognises this. 'Protestantism' has adopted the Roman model of which the majority of parishioners are unaware; they have no desire to get out of their traditions that mirror Rome; they are assimilating just as Rome did to paganism.
This is a hard truth for Protestants to accept because they have blurred or removed their directional signs but a time not far hence is coming where the dividing lines will no longer appear fudged and all will make their choice.

Last edited:

Timtofly

Apr 9, 2020
Mount Morris
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We actually do not have to worry about ancient paganism.

The cares of this present day and physical desires are enought to keep us from God's will.

Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in Heaven.

Reactions: Yehren

Yehren

Sep 12, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We actually do not have to worry about ancient paganism.

The cares of this present day and physical desires are enought to keep us from God's will.

Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in Heaven.

Yep. Today's pagans worship different idols.

Reactions: amadeus

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yep. Today's pagans worship different idols.
I think we can see it when the Sun comes up at sunrise...
"So does it have any Pagan roots?
Many of the traditions and symbols we now associate with Easter, such as eggs and rabbits, do have their origins in pre-Christian pagan rituals.

The Encyclopedia of Religion says: "The egg symbolizes new life breaking through the apparent death (hardness) of the eggshell."

As for the rabbit, it was "known as an extraordinarily fertile creature, and hence it symbolized the coming of spring".

Philippe Walter, professor of medieval French literature at the University of Grenoble III, says in his book Christian Mythology that "in the process of the Christianization of pagan religions", it was easy to associate the pagan festival that celebrated "the passage from the death of winter to the life of springtime" with Jesus's resurrection.

It was a key step in introducing "Christian commemorations" to the pagan calendar, he says, smoothing the way to mass conversion.....Fact Check: Is Easter a Christian or pagan festival?

Reactions: Illuminator

Yehren

Sep 12, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christmas is also a winter solstice celebration, far older than Christianity. Christians took these celebrations and put new meanings into them. This is why Easter is a far more important holiday for us than Christmas. Christmas is the promise of redemption coming; Easter is the final victory over death.

Today He is risen. And we rejoice in His victory.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think we can see it when the Sun comes up at sunrise...
"So does it have any Pagan roots?
Many of the traditions and symbols we now associate with Easter, such as eggs and rabbits, do have their origins in pre-Christian pagan rituals.

The Encyclopedia of Religion says: "The egg symbolizes new life breaking through the apparent death (hardness) of the eggshell."

As for the rabbit, it was "known as an extraordinarily fertile creature, and hence it symbolized the coming of spring".

Philippe Walter, professor of medieval French literature at the University of Grenoble III, says in his book Christian Mythology that "in the process of the Christianization of pagan religions", it was easy to associate the pagan festival that celebrated "the passage from the death of winter to the life of springtime" with Jesus's resurrection.

It was a key step in introducing "Christian commemorations" to the pagan calendar, he says, smoothing the way to mass conversion.....Fact Check: Is Easter a Christian or pagan festival?
Time for a recap:

Let's see - I destroyed your nonsense about Catholics and “Dagon worship” in post #32. I proved to you that the Christian “fish” symbol (ICHTHUS) had nothing to do with paganism.

In post #67, I obliterated your manure about the Catholics Church’s “pagan” symbolisms regarding "Mithraism", "virgin mother-goddess worship" and a host of other asinine charges by showing you the origins of these anti-Catholic inventions. I explained how 19th century anti-Catholic Alexander Hislop invented all of this garbage that was perpetuated by his 20th century “disciples”, Lorainne Boettner and Jack Chick.

I exposed your “Easter is pagan” myths by showing you the history behind some of the customs like Easter Eggs - which were ancient Christian symbols having to do with the season of Lent – and NOT paganism.

Like ALL hate-filled bigots – you would rather dwell on the lies, myths and pre-conceived ideas about a group of people instead of learning the facts. If I were you - I would fear the Lord's justice for continually violating His command against bearing false witness.

Gook luck
with that . . .

Reactions: Illuminator

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christmas is also a winter solstice celebration, far older than Christianity. Christians took these celebrations and put new meanings into them. This is why Easter is a far more important holiday for us than Christmas. Christmas is the promise of redemption coming; Easter is the final victory over death.

Today He is risen. And we rejoice in His victory.
No, if you look carefully it was the pagan 'converts' who took over starting with the church at Rome and then used the lie of 'traditions' to bring in their solstice festivals and claimed they were 'holy days'...

Yehren

Sep 12, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, if you look carefully it was the pagan 'converts' who took over starting with the church at Rome and then used the lie of 'traditions' to bring in their solstice festivals and claimed they were 'holy days'...

You've been hornswoggled on that...

Toward the Origins of Christmas

It's way more interesting and complex than your imagination has filled in for you.

Reactions: Grailhunter