Do Catholics Talk to Dead People?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Miss it by a mile as usual enjoy your idea of Christianity because it certainly is not God's idea
I could have sworn there was only one God. Ah well, we live and learn. Is there any particular procedure we have to go through to get an audience with you?

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
WRONG.

Communicating with God is only PART of the definition of "Pray" - a SECONDARY definition.
The PRIMARY definition simply means to ASK, to entreat, to implore.

I'm shocked at the amount of willful ignorance on this thread . . .
I'm shocked at the ignorance of some using secular English dictionaries to define
biblical Greek and Hebrew words. Now that is the definition of ignorance. See 1 Corinthians 2

Reactions: Taken

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OP^

The Living Saved and Born Again pray
To God, in Jesus Name;
For:
Their Living Saved and Born Again brethren (saints on Earth.)
For:
Israel, On Earth
For:
Their Nation, On Earth
For:
The Unsaved Bodily Living to become Saved, On Earth

Catholics pray
To;
God,
To;
the Bodily Dead, their Church has dictated is (a saint, in Heaven)
To;
Bodily Dead, their Church has dictated is A Bodily Alive (saint in heaven.)
To;
Every Bodily Alive or Bodily Dead, they Ask a Question.

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Like I said before - if I knew I was conversing with a non-Christian, I would have approached it differently.

Believe that if you must, but it's the one you call non-christian that's sticking to what's written down in scripture. You will take things out of context or interpret a scripture to mean anything other than what Is written down. Jesus was the greatest human teacher of the truth concerning the scriptures that lived on earth and the religious leaders of Israel called him a demon. Such doctrines as the Trinity, immortality of the Soul, and hellfire doctrine are all false doctrines and all who say they're Christians and believe in such false doctrines are the weeds Jesus spoke about, immitation Christians.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where does it say to go by the Bible only

The Bible isn't subject to a man's words...
So when your words ask, where the Bible says "Bible only", the Bible does not say your words.

The Bible gives us knowledge, God desires man to have.

All men can freely believe as they freely choose to believe.

Some men believe:
All Scripture is profitable,
for doctrine,
for reproof,
for correction,
for instruction in righteousness.

Other men do not believe those things at all.
Their choice...they are called scoffers.

Some men believe those things AND believe
Other teachings and writings are Also propfitable for the same things as Scripture.
Their Choice.
(Now they have a Choice...betwix Scripture and other writings)
And if AND when they challenge Scripture only...they also are a scoffer.

Scripture, does not require the attachment of the word "only".
Scripture is what it is...
Believe it as it stands or don't.
It is every man's choice.

A person who accepts Scripture as it stands, discussing Scripture...may Expressly request the others in the discussion to reply to a question with Scriptural "doctrine, correction, reproof, or instruction"...
The others can comply...or not comply and Scoff at such a request.

It is simply a sign to the one requesting... whether or not, by Scriptural Principles, to give any consideration to a Scoffers Response.

Glory to God,
Taken

Last edited:
Reactions: ChristisGod

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
So then, you pray to sinners here on Earth! I pray to God.

Paul prayed to sinners.
"Wherefore I pray you to take some meat: for this is for your health: for there shall not an hair fall from the head of any of you". (Acts 27:34 - KJV)

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul prayed to sinners.
"Wherefore I pray you to take some meat: for this is for your health: for there shall not an hair fall from the head of any of you". (Acts 27:34 - KJV)

Paul established his humbled request.
Men On Earth can Establish their humbled requests, inserting the Word "PRAY".

Some ding-a-ling preaching every time that they are being asked a question, THEY are being PRAY TO, is an utter showing of their own ridiculous ignorance and arrogance.

But...then deflecting Away from the Topic...
Is par for the course when those that Do PRAY TO Mary,
can NOT explain "How or with What" a Bodily Living person is communicating with a person who has Bodily died.

Reactions: kcnalp

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Paul established his humbled request.
Men On Earth can Establish their humbled requests, inserting the Word "PRAY".

Some ding-a-ling preaching every time that they are being asked a question, THEY are being PRAY TO, is an utter showing of their own ridiculous ignorance and arrogance.

But...then deflecting Away from the Topic...
Is par for the course when those that Do PRAY TO Mary,
can NOT explain "How or with What" a Bodily Living person is communicating with a person who has Bodily died.

God has only given us glimpses of what goes on in heaven. Paul was taken up into heaven “and he heard things that cannot be told, which man may not utter” (2Cor 12:4). We cannot expect to understand God’s ways in any detail. Yet we do know some things, if not in detail.

I'm sure this has all been explained before but I'll quote from Catholic Apologist Al Kresta
Scripture is clear that those in Heaven are somehow aware of the needs of those on the earth. The angels in heaven rejoice over the repentance of one sinner (Lk 15:7-10); the elders and angels in heaven offer up the prayers of the saints on earth (Rv 5:8; 8:3); those under the altar know that the time of their vindication has not yet come on the earth (Rv 6:10).

While I’m not sure how the divine prayer switchboard works, I do know that those in heaven are united with us in Christ and are not subject to the same limitations of space and time that we are. They have a way of networking we know not of.

Reactions: Philip James

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bible is complete, authoritative, and true. “All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness” (2 Timothy 3:16). Acts 17:11, which commends the Bereans for testing doctrine—taught by an apostle, no less—to the written Word. Sola scriptura is all-but-explicitly indicated in 1 Corinthians 4:6, where Paul warns not to “go beyond what is written.” Jesus Himself criticized those who allowed traditions to override the explicit commands of God in Mark 7:6–9.got?

hope this helps !!!
Nice verses - but they STILL don't show where the Bible says Scripture is our SOLE Authority (Sola Scriptura).

As for 1 Cor. 4:6 - don't forget that it was ALSO Paul who wrote:
2 Thess 2:15
"Stand firm and hold fast to the TRADITIONS you were taught, EITHER BY an oral statement OR BY a letter from us."
Gee - NOWHERE does he say "ONLY by a letter . . ."

He ALSO wrote:
2 Thess. 3:6
"Now we command you, brethren, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you keep away from any brother who is living in idleness and not in accord with the TRADITION that you received from us"

1 Cor. 11:2
"I commend you because you remember me in everything and maintain the TRADITIONS even as I have delivered them to you".

Nothing even CLOSE to Sola Scriptura . . .

Reactions: Reggie Belafonte

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I suppose eating dinner with Catholics praying to each other to pass the food is quite a chore these days.
Protestants do the same thing at dinner.
So do non-Christians like yourself . . .

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm shocked at the ignorance of some using secular English dictionaries to define
biblical Greek and Hebrew words. Now that is the definition of ignorance. See 1 Corinthians 2
Ummmmmm, time for a little linguistics lesson . . .

Greek is Greek - it's not "Biblical" Greek. It ALL translates into English the SAME way.
It's not some "holy" language unto itself.

Hope that helps . . .

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Believe that if you must, but it's the one you call non-christian that's sticking to what's written down in scripture. You will take things out of context or interpret a scripture to mean anything other than what Is written down. Jesus was the greatest human teacher of the truth concerning the scriptures that lived on earth and the religious leaders of Israel called him a demon. Such doctrines as the Trinity, immortality of the Soul, and hellfire doctrine are all false doctrines and all who say they're Christians and believe in such false doctrines are the weeds Jesus spoke about, immitation Christians.
Cool - so 2000 years of billions of Christians have been wrong - but O'l Barney got it "right".

What color is the sky in your world?

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OP^

The Living Saved and Born Again pray
To God, in Jesus Name;
For:
Their Living Saved and Born Again brethren (saints on Earth.)
For:
Israel, On Earth
For:
Their Nation, On Earth
For:
The Unsaved Bodily Living to become Saved, On Earth

Catholics pray
To;
God,
To;
the Bodily Dead, their Church has dictated is (a saint, in Heaven)
To;
Bodily Dead, their Church has dictated is A Bodily Alive (saint in heaven.)
To;
Every Bodily Alive or Bodily Dead, they Ask a Question.
The OP itself is a form of "prayer", Einstein.

Truth doesn't "magically" disappear just because YOU have a tantrum . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.