Do I need to get re-baptised... please help

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Alexander89

Aug 14, 2008
Hello, at the moment im really upset with myself, but it maybe because of my ocd, im not sure.I was baptised just before Christmas and now a born again Christian, but it didn't turn out well for me.I kept putting off getting baptised ( i still didn't know the seriousness in it or i was afriad on unknown things) for a long time, but i still tried my best to ebey the bible and do what is right, then right before Christmas my grandma got the pastor at her church to give me a baptism.Now i suffer from alot of anxiety so all i wanted to do on that day is get in and out of there.This is what really upsetted me, I am so glade now that ive got baptised but why was i soo uncomfortable on the day it happen?also then i obsessed (ocd) over the event for like a month after wards thinking i somehow did something wrong during the baptism.Why was i like this, why was my experience so uncomfortable, also the pastor gave me something to read about the event but i had never read it ( which maybe because of everythign on my mind).I feel like a weak christian that was not at all interested but deep down wanted to be interested, which confused me, i dont know if i was interested or not.But looking back at it now, im sooooo glade i was baptised, i love god with all my heart and try my best to do everything thats right.but now its like i got a fear of hell, i feel like I MUST BE BAPTISED again. because so many things go inside my head telling me, Oh you only done this to please your grandma and things alike, which upsets me even more because now i feel like there was no meaning to my batism, so pleease help me, what do i do.And i got terrible anxiety so when im with a bunch of people i dont know i get uneasyAm i really saved or do i have to do this all over againEdit: My mother ( who was also there at the day) thinks im worrying over nothing and there is no need for an other baptism and im beating myself up over nothing as she belives ive been saved on that day. what do you think.

Sasha

Jul 27, 2008
Edit: My mother ( who was also there at the day) thinks im worrying over nothing and there is no need for an other baptism and im beating myself up over nothing as she belives ive been saved on that day. what do you think.[/QUOTE]I hope she does not believe you were saved when you got baptized? To be saved, you repent and ask God to forgive you for your sins. Ask Him to come into your heart and be your Lord and Savior. You may have felt the way you did because you were not quite ready, you felt rushed or pressured to take this step of Faith a little too soon. Spend time in Gods word and in prayer, on this subject. I felt I had to do the same; I got water baptized a second time because I was uncertain it was done right the first time. God knows our hearts; we can fool everyone around us, we can say, act, and do everything other people want us to do, to make them happy, and confident we are on our way to heaven. BUT, God is who matters, this is YOUR life, YOUR choice on weather or not you give it to God. Ask and it shall be given, seek and you shall find, knock and it shall be opened to you. (to whom? TO YOU!) Baptism in water is just a sign to the world that YOU made a choice to follow Jesus. Baptism with the Holy Spirit is far more important then water baptism! John baptized with water for the repentance of sin, but, Jesus baptized with the Holy Spirit and power.When you pray tell God you want everything He has to offer, and to show you what that is. ‘Father God, just as I receive Jesus as my Lord and Savior by Faith, I now receive Your Baptism with Your Holy Spirit, with the evidence of speaking in tongues, by Faith. And I thank you Father God in the name of Jesus I now speak in tongues.’

treeoflife

Apr 30, 2008
Well, baptism doesn't save you. Baptism is a work like any other when it comes to the matter of our salvation--and we are not saved by our works or good deeds... we are saved by HIS singular WORK on the cross. We are saved by grace, through faith; not of works lest any man boast.So, you don't have to bet baptized again. If you have believed that Jesus died for your sins and that God has made a way through His Son to redeem your spirit... then you are saved. He is faithful to keep all of His promises, even when we are not.On a side note, try to read the Bible... and obey God. We don't obey a book, we obey a living God who loves us, and who has not abandoned us as orphans. He is with you wherever you go
smile.gif

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(Alexander89;56828)
Hello, at the moment im really upset with myself, but it maybe because of my ocd, im not sure.I was baptised just before Christmas and now a born again Christian, but it didn't turn out well for me.I kept putting off getting baptised ( i still didn't know the seriousness in it or i was afriad on unknown things) for a long time, but i still tried my best to ebey the bible and do what is right, then right before Christmas my grandma got the pastor at her church to give me a baptism.Now i suffer from alot of anxiety so all i wanted to do on that day is get in and out of there.This is what really upsetted me, I am so glade now that ive got baptised but why was i soo uncomfortable on the day it happen?also then i obsessed (ocd) over the event for like a month after wards thinking i somehow did something wrong during the baptism.Why was i like this, why was my experience so uncomfortable, also the pastor gave me something to read about the event but i had never read it ( which maybe because of everythign on my mind).I feel like a weak christian that was not at all interested but deep down wanted to be interested, which confused me, i dont know if i was interested or not.But looking back at it now, im sooooo glade i was baptised, i love god with all my heart and try my best to do everything thats right.but now its like i got a fear of hell, i feel like I MUST BE BAPTISED again. because so many things go inside my head telling me, Oh you only done this to please your grandma and things alike, which upsets me even more because now i feel like there was no meaning to my batism, so pleease help me, what do i do.And i got terrible anxiety so when im with a bunch of people i dont know i get uneasyAm i really saved or do i have to do this all over againEdit: My mother ( who was also there at the day) thinks im worrying over nothing and there is no need for an other baptism and im beating myself up over nothing as she belives ive been saved on that day. what do you think.
No you do not need to get Water Baptized at all. It doesn't save anyone. Matthew 3:13-17 is symbolic to John 3:5-7. The only baptism that was required is the Baptism of the Holy Ghost / Spirit. The regeneration of the heart.There is only One Lord, One Fatith, One Baptism. (Ephesians 4:5)

Alexander89

Aug 14, 2008
Thank you for you're replies, Sasha thanks for your response too, But I did not feel rushed at all , I wanted to go there, but because of my anxiety when im in a place full of people I don't know and they are all looking at me ( even though it was positive) I feel very uncomfortable, If i could feel otherwise, I would. Thank You very much too for your reply
smile.gif
God Bless. I also said that prayer
smile.gif
treeoflife, of course i believe he died for my sins
smile.gif
and super jag, thank you for your scriptures.Oh and I was saved when I was younger, i wasnt baptised until last Christmas. God bless you all.

Sasha

Jul 27, 2008
I also said that prayer
smile.gif
OH WONDERFUL!! PRAISE THE LORD!!:angel4:God bless you too, hun!!:music:

DreadStorm

Aug 16, 2008
Someone once told me it's more or less an advertisement.It shows and tells people as your confession of faith that you're saved. It is also symbolic of rebirth, and washing away the sin. However, even though it need only be done once to satisfy the requirements the Bible puts to us, it's usually common for "new members" of any given church to sort of re-advertize. I think I've been baptized around 5 or 6 times. Once was in a minister's backyard pool.
smile.gif

Sasha

Jul 27, 2008
WOW!! 5 or 6 times?? I've never heard of that before! Matthew 7:16 "You will know them by their fruits..." 17 "Every good tree bears good fruit, but the bad tree bears bad fruit." Our lifestyles should be the,......how did you put it??...........the "advertisment" to others. We should be on gaurd when it comes to being concerened of what others think of us. Paul made that mistake. He admitted he tried to be all things to all people. Jesus never did that. People will see Jesus in you, the way you react, respond and treat others. We should never try to prove to others, or try to convience them we are followers of Jesus. It's simple, just follow Jesus, that is evidence enough.

TallMan

Jul 20, 2007
When you got baptised was it with the belief that you needed to receive the Holy Spirit as detailed in the bible (evidenced by speaking in tongues) ?If not, you havn't been baptised unto Jesus - see Acts 19:1-6:-" . .. while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul having passed through the upper coasts came to Ephesus: and finding certain disciples,He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism.Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied."

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(TallMan;57082)
When you got baptised was it with the belief that you needed to receive the Holy Spirit as detailed in the bible (evidenced by speaking in tongues) ?If not, you havn't been baptised unto Jesus - see Acts 19:1-6:-" . .. while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul having passed through the upper coasts came to Ephesus: and finding certain disciples,He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism.Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied."
Same old, same old. Some things will never change.

pastorlesofm

Community Guide
Jun 28, 2008
Central New York State
Read Luke 23:39-43; Many times the question arises regarding baptism and salvation, I often point to this scripture. When the one thief accepted who Jesus was and that He was returning to His Kingdom asked Jesus to remember him, Jesus said "Verily I say unto thee, Today shalt thou be with me in paradise.". I'm sure the theif was not baptised at that moment, but was still Heaven Bound. Baptisim is a testimony of our intent to follow Jesus, because we have accepted who Jesus is, like the thief did. Salavation is a gift of redemption. You already have been redeemed, now your desire is to serve Him, to be His witness. Baptisim is a public confession of your intent.

TallMan

Jul 20, 2007
(pastorlesofm;57118)
Read Luke 23:39-43; Many times the question arises regarding baptism and salvation, I often point to this scripture. When the one thief accepted who Jesus was and that He was returning to His Kingdom asked Jesus to remember him, Jesus said "Verily I say unto thee, Today shalt thou be with me in paradise.". I'm sure the theif was not baptised at that moment, but was still Heaven Bound. Baptisim is a testimony of our intent to follow Jesus, because we have accepted who Jesus is, like the thief did. Salavation is a gift of redemption. You already have been redeemed, now your desire is to serve Him, to be His witness. Baptisim is a public confession of your intent.
You assume that "paradise" means heaven, and therefore the thief was sincere in his comments. Matthew and Mark's account of this dialogue both say that both of the thieves were speaking mockingly to Jesus immediately before the darkness - the same time of the dialogue reported by Luke:-“The thieves also, which were crucified with him, cast the same in his teeth. Now from the sixth hour there was darkness . .. ”(Matthew 27:43-45)“they that were crucified with him reviled him. And when the sixth hour was come, there was darkness over the whole land until the ninth hour.”(Mark 15:32-33) . . . did they both miss the point that one thief repented and had a great revelation of Jesus coming with a kingdom?Meanwhile his own disciples were in sorrow and fear, they didn't understand!).Or is it more reasonable to say that the thief was speaking mockingly"Lord, remember me when you come into your kingdom"If the thief was sincere, this would have been a comfort to Jesus at this time when he represtented man's sin (for which there can be no comfort.But what of the prophesy:-"Reproach hath broken my heart; and I am full of heaviness: and I looked for some to take pity, but there was none; and for comforters, but I found none. They gave me also gall for my meat; and in my thirst they gave me vinegar to drink." (Psalm 69:20-21) ?Why does Jesus say "today you shall be with me in paradise" not just "you shall be with me in paradise"?No man enters into heaven until Jesus returns!"no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven" (John 3:13)"in Christ shall all be made alive. But every man in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; afterward they that are Christ's at his coming" (1 Cor. 15:22-23)The word "paradise" is used figuratively for heaven elsewhere, but literally it means garden, where Jesus was buried that day; Mary later thought he was the gardener (John 19v41, 20v15). This would mean Jesus was saying that the thief would be buried also in the tombs in the garden. EVEN IF one thief was sincere it's a red herring for people today since God is now dealing under the New Covenant. People are being taught to reject the need for water & Spirit baptisms because of what Jesus says to a thief in Luke - sounds like a thief's gospel to me!

Sasha

Jul 27, 2008
The two thieves were still under the OLD TESTAMENT!!! Jesus hadn't died yet.If the thief was mocking Jesus, I think He would have known that, and would NOT have said 'Today you will be with Me in paradise'. Unless Jesus lied!Jesus said we would know the SEASON as to when the end time came, do you think He meant summer, fall, winter, or spring? No, He meant the season in history, in time. So, why should we assume when Jesus said 'Today you will be with me in paradise' that He meant within the next 24 hours you will be with me in paradise. God is not on our schedule.

Sasha

Jul 27, 2008
This may sound really................ummm:rolleyes:...................well, stupid, but Tallman, what is a ocd? :confused:

TallMan

Jul 20, 2007
(Sasha;57187)
This may sound really................ummm:rolleyes:...................well, stupid, but Tallman, what is a ocd? :confused:
I don't know what a ocd is?Why do you ask me?

treeoflife

Apr 30, 2008
(TallMan;57082)
When you got baptised was it with the belief that you needed to receive the Holy Spirit as detailed in the bible (evidenced by speaking in tongues) ?If not, you havn't been baptised unto Jesus - see Acts 19:1-6:-
Wrong just like the last time you said it. Wrong the next time you'll say it.

Sasha

Jul 27, 2008
OOOPS, Alexander89, what is ocd? Sorry Tallman.
rolleyes.gif
I guess I did sound pretty stupid after all.

Sasha

Jul 27, 2008
(thesuperjag;57091)
Your right, and Gods word is one of those things. Have you studied Acts 19:1-6 yet? How about Mark 16:17? Oh, here's a good one, I Corinthians 14:2? (There are your two or more witnesses Mark, Luke, and Paul, all bear witness to the baptism of the Holy Spirit with the evidence of speaking in tongues)Don't just read it, but, study it? We can not grow in our relationship with God if we are closed to correction. 'I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened, so that you may know what is the hope of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints,' 'and that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give to you a spirit of wisdom and of revelation in the knowledge of Him.' Eph.1:18, 17God Bless!!

Sasha

Jul 27, 2008
(treeoflife;57264)
Wrong just like the last time you said it. Wrong the next time you'll say it.
(thesuperjag;57091)
Your right, and Gods word is one of those things. Have you studied Acts 19:1-6 yet? How about Mark 16:17? Oh, here's a good one, I Corinthians 14:2? (There are your two or more witnesses; Mark, Luke, and Paul, all bear witness to the baptism of the Holy Spirit with the evidence of speaking in tongues)Don't just read it, but, study it? We can not grow in our relationship with God if we are closed to correction. 'I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened, so that you may know what is the hope of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints,' 'and that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give to you a spirit of wisdom and of revelation in the knowledge of Him.' Eph.1:18, 17