"Do not be yoked with unbelievers..." scripture

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hopefully other believers can be of more help. Thanks to anyone else?
Maybe glad-handing agreement is not what you need.
On a scale of 1-10, how likely might you be wrong on this?
You seem to be hanging on to this with such a firm grip.
I've been a Christian for 60 years, Maybe I know some things that you don't.

/

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hopefully other believers can be of more help. Thanks to anyone else?
This reminds me of a joke.

An atheist accidentally fell off a cliff.
He managed to latch onto a small tree to keep him from falling.
There he hung in midair with no hope of getting back up.
At that moment God spoke to him. "Just let go, I'll catch you."
The atheist cried out, "Is there anyone else up there?"

/ @Lambano

Last edited:

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
but that I would still be able to be of help and be there if he needs to vent, or even talking like being supportive...
That sounds like a friend to me!

And frankly, I think God would approve of you having a friend for whom you will be there to help and listen to. "Unequally yoked" does not refer to that kind of friendship.*

* The opinions expressed herein represent my own understanding of God as presented in the Bible and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the Almighty Himself.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
49 Immediately Judas went to Jesus and said, “Hail, Rabbi!” and kissed Him. 50 And Jesus said to him, “Friend, do what you have come for.” (Matthew 26:49-50, NASB red-letter Bible)

Jesus called Judas his friend, even after Judas betrayed him.

• Love
Reactions: St. SteVen

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
49 Immediately Judas went to Jesus and said, “Hail, Rabbi!” and kissed Him. 50 And Jesus said to him, “Friend, do what you have come for.” (Matthew 26:49-50, NASB red-letter Bible)

Jesus called Judas his friend, even after Judas betrayed him.
I nominate this as POST OF THE WEEK.

WOW!

"Jesus called Judas his friend, even after Judas betrayed him." - Lambano

That's the same Jesus that taught us to love our enemies.
Not the Jesus the church gave us that incinerates his enemies.

/

thelord's_pearl

May 1, 2021
O`nowhere you have to know
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I think the most important thing then is to be a friend and share about God and be a follower/example of Jesus but if you notice yourself suffering consequences then you know the level of commitment you should be with your friend, something as Lambano talked about.

Reactions: Lambano

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think the most important thing then is to be a friend and share about God and be a follower/example of Jesus but if you notice yourself suffering consequences then you know the level of commitment you should be with your friend, something as Lambano talked about.
I'm not sure "suffering consequences" is the right phrase. Maybe, noticing that your commitment to your friend entails doing things you know you shouldn't.

You know what they say: "A good friend will help you move. A really good friend will help you move a body." You don't want to find yourself helping your friend cover up a murder. Or get involved with a business partner in unethical business practices. Or (and this is often a problem for young people in this culture) get tempted into premarital sex.

And the same principle applies to being tempted (due to the commitment to your friend) to not do the things you SHOULD be doing as one of Jesus's people. And that may be more subtle.

Last edited:

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you @Lambano and @St. SteVen for your help and discussion, and it's nice having you here @quietthinker! lol...
You are welcome.

I noticed a Prayer topic where you were asking for prayer about your own loneliness and friendships.
So, this seems to be a topic, that for you, is beyond the scope of your stated OP on this thread.

I remember something my father told me. "If a person wants friends, they mus show themselves to be friendly."

Basically, isolating behavior leads to isolation, and friendly behavior leads to friendships.
But friendly behavior requires a level of openness with others that puts us at risk of being hurt.

Much more to say about this, but I'll stop there.

/

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
New topic. (shameless promotion)

/

thelord's_pearl

May 1, 2021
O`nowhere you have to know
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You are welcome.

I noticed a Prayer topic where you were asking for prayer about your own loneliness and friendships.
So, this seems to be a topic, that for you, is beyond the scope of your stated OP on this thread.

I remember something my father told me. "If a person wants friends, they mus show themselves to be friendly."

Basically, isolating behavior leads to isolation, and friendly behavior leads to friendships.
But friendly behavior requires a level of openness with others that puts us at risk of being hurt.

Much more to say about this, but I'll stop there.

/
the friend I'm talking about here in this thread is a friend but hardly there for me but when he is, he is pleaant, just to clarify.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the friend I'm talking about here in this thread is a friend but hardly there for me but when he is, he is pleaant, just to clarify.
Oh, course.
I didn't assume that the problem was on his end.
You are VERY fortunate if he is still friends with you. (after what you did to him)
Best to bear that in mind going forward.

/