Do we even have the correct definition of "saved?"

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Uh Christians can sin...
Converted persons can Never Again Disbelieve believe in the Lord God...which WAS their Sin. They are Free from Sin.
Ummmm, Christians ARE born again, converted believers Einsteiin.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@ScottA

1John 1:5-10 is NOT about Born Again people stumbling in sin!

The message is a Declaration to people ...the teacher hopes they comprehend So that:
The listener may believe Like the one speaking...

1 John 1
[3] That which we have seen and heard declare we unto you, that ye also may have fellowship with us: and truly our fellowship is with the Father, and with his Son Jesus Christ.
[4] And these things write we unto you, that your joy may be full.
[5] This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.

The listeners were not born Again...they were hearing the message.

[6] If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:
[7] But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.
[8] If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
[9] If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
[10] If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

And 1 John 8:
A fav of BOL to cherry-pick and proclaim it APPLIES to whomever...

He hasn't a clue the difference between "having" sin and "committing" sin.

"Having" sins applies to every natural born earthling, including Mary.

Every diligent student of the Word of God Knows earthlings Are born in Sin.

1John 1:8
[8] If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

Any person who says he HAS no sin, is a liar!

Rom 3:23
[23] For all have sinned...

Any person who claims he HAS Never committed sin is a liar.

So what is a person who Makes False Claims for "others", but a liar?

Mary never. Claimed to "have" no sin...
Mary never Claimed to never "commit" sin...
yet every catholic "makes" those claims for her.<---:(

The Lord God has offered A WAY...His Way,
Offered and Available immediately for the last 2,000 + years...

*for a mans sins to be Forgiven;
*for a mans body crucified, washed, sanctified, covered, Kept with Christ;
* for a mans soul restored and saved;
* for a mans spirit born of Gods Seed...
* from the moment of a heartfelt true Confession BY any man that:
"Jesus is the Christ the Son of the Living God",

That man Accepted and Received The Lord Gods Offering...and Is a new Creature...
And that creature IS forward: forever:
A son of God.

Oh, oh, oh what happened to "the sin he had when he was naturally born???

DUH!!!
Crucifixion ...DEAD body...DEAD sin!!
Covered...with Gods Light.

Funny how BOL thinks he can See pasts Gods Light!

And absolutely a "son of God" never again "commits the sin" "of Standing against God, of Disbelief in the Lord God Almighty"....

1 John 3:
[9] Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

So what "sin" does BOL yap on and on about...?

If a man was Jewish...every Violation Against Mosaic Law was a sin....but so what?

Why does BOL pretend Gentile's are subject to Mosaic Laws? :rolleyes:

Gentile's had no obligation to obey Jewish Laws...
Gentile's SIN, was being against belief in God in Jesus the Christ...

And WHO could forgive a Gentile...of the Sin of Disbelief IN the Lord God...no one, but God Himself.

And "Could" Converted Jews "still violate" "their Law" and that be a Sin unto "them"...
Yes...and what does that have to do with Gentiles? Nothing.

And so is BOL utterly ignorant not knowing he is carrying on to Gentiles, that which only applies to Jews?

A Converted Gentile, can never Again not believe in the Lord God Almighty.

(even if BOL adamantly disagrees with Scriptural TRUTH), no one was directed to Believe or follow him!)

A Converted Jew, can never Again not believe in the Lord God Almighty; but they can violate Jewish Law, which by the Law is a sin unto THEM.
WOW - a whole lotta verbose gobbldygook - and not ONE Scriptural proof that Christians "can't" sin.
Thanks for proving my point . . .

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And that's why I admonished you that cherry-picking Scripture will get you nowhere.

Once you're learned about context - the Scriptures will open up to you in a way they never have before . . .
You have not reconciled the whole word of scripture. Your problem.

Oh, and blaming me and calling names, that's an obvious problem too.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your problem is not with me...I was quoting the apostle John.
But your derogatory disagreement is duly noted.
I'll go even further than that - I don't have a problem.
If your arrogance causes you to believe that you "can't" sin - then the problem is ALL YOURS . . .

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You have not reconciled the whole word of scripture. Your problem.
Oh, and blaming me and calling names, that's an obvious problem too.
I called you "names"??
What names did I call you??

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ummmm, Christians ARE born again, converted believers Einsteiin.

Um, anyone FOLLOWING and hearing the teachings of OF Jesus, can be called by others and call themselves Christians...
It doesn't mean they "ARE" Converted.

FOLLOWING and Hearing is one thing...
CONVERSION is another thing.

Reactions: ScottA

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
How does “hope of Salvation” fit then? Past, present, or future?
well, i guess that all depends upon one's def of "saved," which for most Christian "believers" i guess means "future" pretty much? Fwiw i would just listen for those commending themselves to each other, as they are usually the most vocal anyway right, and go from there. But i dunno, obv a Hope of Salvation would involve Future anyway i guess huh. But it could be later today, and doesnt have to be After I Have Literally l Died, imo. Quotes broke, sry

Last edited:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Strong's Concordance
sózó: to save
Original Word: σῴζω
Part of Speech: Verb
Transliteration: sózó
Phonetic Spelling: (sode'-zo)
Definition: to save
Usage: I save, heal, preserve, rescue.
HELPS Word-studies
4982 sṓzō (from sōs, "safe, rescued") – properly, deliver out of danger and into safety; used principally of God rescuing believers from the penalty and power of sin – and into His provisions (safety).

Strong's Greek: 4982. σώζω (sózó) -- to save
with a similar reflection OT, one root for all near as i can tell (might be wrong), despite all of the synonyms, above. Which i mention because this is almost a singular event in the Bible; pistis "have faith" is the only other that springs to mind

ntmy, mark :)

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Mainly the preservation of our temporal mortal bodies. Confused by many into a religious ideology based on presumptions.
i would say maybe that a contemplation of flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom--which i firmly believe is saying something completely different from what we read--would be in order, but im not sure how to easily show that dialectics are being used. I got as far as "flesh thinking cannot," re the previous vv, but for the blood part imo Esau (give me some of that red stew before i die!) must needs be understood first...but even with the prior discussion on "flesh mentality" and then right into that, for context, a euphemism is being employed iow, for i guess obv reasons ppl--free ppl i mean, not believers--still balk at making the connection. Even atheist linguist types. well most...16:19 is that strange or what

but i guess "it is our spirits that inherit" is a prima facie valid arg anyway

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
WOW - a whole lotta verbose gobbldygook - and not ONE Scriptural proof that Christians "can't" sin.
Thanks for proving my point . . .

LOL - it requires lotta words, when it is Obvious, the disagreement is between people who adhere to different Doctrines!

Not a big secret...as I have declared I adhere to Jesus' Doctrine and you have declared you adhere to Catholic Doctrine.

Guess it blew past your understanding ...

1) Acts 2:4 the Disciples of Jesus became Converted.

2) Acts 11:26 the CONVERTED disciples were being called Christians.

And today anyone who is FOLLOWING some part of Jesus' Word, often calls themselves Christian, whether they are Converted or not.

Jesus' teaching expressly teaches the Converted, become Converted, by their own willingness, and His Power.

"Anyone" (Not Converted) can Sin Against God.
"Anyone" (Converted) can NOT Sin Against God...

Really doesn't matter what they call themselves...Christian , Protestant, Jew, Gentile, Catholic, American, Male, Female...

If they ARE Converted...they can Sin NO More!

It is plane scriptural Teaching, that time and time again you have rejected...

1 John 3:
[9] Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

Perhaps your Catholic teaching overlooked teaching you, Converted people, become sons of God...and are FREED from sin.

Reactions: Waiting on him

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
well wadr that was a great opp to prove me wrong eh
:D

so i hope you understand that failing that i would naturally be offensive to you yeh?

I don't have to prove a negative!
Your claims are negative...you prove they are factual.