Do we NEED to Repent today ??

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

dan p

Mar 26, 2009
Hi to all and with some this is a red flag .

Do we need to Repent ?

Did all repent when you were saved ??

Maybe only one here will see what I see , is How can a man repent , when Titus 2:14 , says ," Who gave Himself for us , that He might redeem us from ALL INIQUITY . "

Does ALL mean All ,??

How can a dead man believe when he is dead in Trespasses and sins ?? Eph 2:1

In Heb 6:1 , we are to FORSAKE or leave the teaching of Christ , not laying the foundation of Repentance from dead words??

Some may agrue that this verse is for Israel ??

How can you believe in Reptance , when Repentance was given to Israel ?? dan p

Disciple

Soldiers United 4 Christ
Feb 3, 2011
Dallas Tx
I dont quite understand your questions, but it is written that repentance is something God puts in your heart, and it is necassary to your salvation, because without it we'd still be dead in sin.

dan p

Mar 26, 2009
I dont quite understand your questions, but it is written that repentance is something God puts in your heart, and it is necassary to your salvation, because without it we'd still be dead in sin.

Hi Disciple . and the point is , that Repentance was given to Israel , and this sentence can be and OP , of why Israel was given reptance and not Gentiles .

It , looks like I will need a separate OP to explain it , dan p

Disciple

Soldiers United 4 Christ
Feb 3, 2011
Dallas Tx
What is OP? And not all that are of Isreal are Isreal.. Just because their from the state does not mean they are Gods chosen children.. Isreal are not those that are Isreal in the flesh, but Isreal is those that are in heart Isreal Gods chosen children and predestined. And you are right repentance is a gift from God and is given to his chosen children Isreal, the children of faith..

I hope this helps, I still dont know if were on the same topic so I apologize in advance If this doesn't answer your question.

TexUs

Nov 18, 2010
The Gentiles are part of Israel... This has come up a few times in the past couple weeks, I'll probably be needing to create a post about it.

dan p

Mar 26, 2009
The Gentiles are part of Israel... This has come up a few times in the past couple weeks, I'll probably be needing to create a post about it.

Hi , TexUs , would like to see verses for that , and I have posted this on many forums and yet , No one has given clear cut verses , good luck , dan p

tomwebster

Dec 11, 2006
Do we need to Repent ?

It’s a foolish question, what kind of child would not want to repent when the sin against their Father? He loved you enough to die for you when He didn’t have to, and you are so spoiled you can’t say “sorry, forgive me,” when you sin?

Reactions: tomwebster

dan p

Mar 26, 2009
It’s a foolish question, what kind of child would not want to repent when the sin against their Father? He loved you enough to die for you when He didn’t have to, and you are so spoiled you can’t say “sorry, forgive me,” when you sin?

To tw , and I will be glad to repond tomorrow and time is almost gone , and will tell it more Deeper , dan p

dan p

Mar 26, 2009

Hi tw , and is only " foolish and childish " to those who are not Pauline .

#1 , and believers can look up the word Repentance and will see the link with Israel .

#2 , For Israel was given Repentance and Cleansing by John the Baptize in Matt 3:1-11 .

#3 , And John 1:31 , confirms it .

When a person is first saved he is what 1 Cor 1:1-3 calls ;

#4 , not Spiritual
#5 , Babe in Christ
#6 , Carnal

#7 , A Milk Drinker
#8 , can not eat meat , which means he or she can NOT handle the deep things of God .
#9 , There are Envying among them
#10 , And Srife among them
#11 , And Divisiond among them
#12 , And walk as men in the Old Nature .

What most believers can not keep in mind is that The Spirit of God ot the all the Truine God dwells within us .and God and Paul in Gal 6:7 says the following .
God is not mocked , for whatsoever am man soweth , that shall he also REAP , AND VERSE 8 is a good read .

In Eph 2:9 says that we are created for good works , which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them .

Good works bring forth rewards as 1 Cor 3:11 - 15 .

Eph 4:30 , we are not to GRIEVE the Holy Spirit of God , because we are sealed to the day of Redemption and verses 31 and 32 and are the works of the flesh .and it will take more pages to say it all

dan p

Anastacia

Oct 23, 2010
Hi , TexUs , would like to see verses for that , and I have posted this on many forums and yet , No one has given clear cut verses , good luck , dan p

dan p, I understand you are looking for verses that say Gentiles are part of Israel.

The prophets and the righteous people of the Old Testament had faith. Since Jesus Christ came, everyone is called to have faith...in Jesus Christ.

The Bible tells us branches were cut off and Gentiles were grafted in. Here is an explanation of Gentiles being part of Israel, from the Bible:

Romans 11
[sup]13[/sup] I am talking to you Gentiles. Inasmuch as I am the apostle to the Gentiles, I take pride in my ministry [sup]14[/sup] in the hope that I may somehow arouse my own people to envy and save some of them. [sup]15[/sup] For if their rejection brought reconciliation to the world, what will their acceptance be but life from the dead? [sup]16[/sup] If the part of the dough offered as firstfruits is holy, then the whole batch is holy; if the root is holy, so are the branches. [sup]17[/sup] If some of the branches have been broken off, and you, though a wild olive shoot, have been grafted in among the others and now share in the nourishing sap from the olive root, [sup]18[/sup] do not consider yourself to be superior to those other branches. If you do, consider this: You do not support the root, but the root supports you. [sup]19[/sup] You will say then, “Branches were broken off so that I could be grafted in.” [sup]20[/sup] Granted. But they were broken off because of unbelief, and you stand by faith. Do not be arrogant, but tremble. [sup]21[/sup] For if God did not spare the natural branches, he will not spare you either.

[sup]22[/sup] Consider therefore the kindness and sternness of God: sternness to those who fell, but kindness to you, provided that you continue in his kindness. Otherwise, you also will be cut off. [sup]23[/sup] And if they do not persist in unbelief, they will be grafted in, for God is able to graft them in again. [sup]24[/sup] After all, if you were cut out of an olive tree that is wild by nature, and contrary to nature were grafted into a cultivated olive tree, how much more readily will these, the natural branches, be grafted into their own olive tree!

Here is scripture about faith of those from the Old Testament:

Romans 4 (New International Version, ©2010)

Romans 4

Abraham Justified by Faith
[sup]1[/sup] What then shall we say that Abraham, our forefather according to the flesh, discovered in this matter? [sup]2[/sup] If, in fact, Abraham was justified by works, he had something to boast about—but not before God. [sup]3[/sup] What does Scripture say? “Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness.”[sup][a][/sup] [sup]4[/sup] Now to the one who works, wages are not credited as a gift but as an obligation. [sup]5[/sup] However, to the one who does not work but trusts God who justifies the ungodly, their faith is credited as righteousness. [sup]6[/sup] David says the same thing when he speaks of the blessedness of the one to whom God credits righteousness apart from works:

[sup]7[/sup] “Blessed are those
whose transgressions are forgiven,
whose sins are covered.
[sup]8[/sup] Blessed is the one
whose sin the Lord will never count against them.”
[sup]9[/sup] Is this blessedness only for the circumcised, or also for the uncircumcised? We have been saying that Abraham’s faith was credited to him as righteousness. [sup]10[/sup] Under what circumstances was it credited? Was it after he was circumcised, or before? It was not after, but before! [sup]11[/sup] And he received circumcision as a sign, a seal of the righteousness that he had by faith while he was still uncircumcised. So then, he is the father of all who believe but have not been circumcised, in order that righteousness might be credited to them. [sup]12[/sup] And he is then also the father of the circumcised who not only are circumcised but who also follow in the footsteps of the faith that our father Abraham had before he was circumcised. [sup]13[/sup] It was not through the law that Abraham and his offspring received the promise that he would be heir of the world, but through the righteousness that comes by faith. [sup]14[/sup] For if those who depend on the law are heirs, faith means nothing and the promise is worthless, [sup]15[/sup] because the law brings wrath. And where there is no law there is no transgression.

[sup]16[/sup] Therefore, the promise comes by faith, so that it may be by grace and may be guaranteed to all Abraham’s offspring—not only to those who are of the law but also to those who have the faith of Abraham. He is the father of us all. [sup]17[/sup] As it is written: “I have made you a father of many nations.” He is our father in the sight of God, in whom he believed—the God who gives life to the dead and calls into being things that were not.

And:

Galatians 3

[sup]6[/sup] So also Abraham “believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness.”

[sup]7[/sup] Understand, then, that those who have faith are children of Abraham. [sup]8[/sup] Scripture foresaw that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, and announced the gospel in advance to Abraham: “All nations will be blessed through you.” [sup]9[/sup] So those who rely on faith are blessed along with Abraham, the man of faith.

Anastacia

Oct 23, 2010
Hi to all and with some this is a red flag .

Do we need to Repent ?

Did all repent when you were saved ??

Maybe only one here will see what I see , is How can a man repent , when Titus 2:14 , says ," Who gave Himself for us , that He might redeem us from ALL INIQUITY . "

Does ALL mean All ,??

How can a dead man believe when he is dead in Trespasses and sins ?? Eph 2:1

In Heb 6:1 , we are to FORSAKE or leave the teaching of Christ , not laying the foundation of Repentance from dead words??

Some may agrue that this verse is for Israel ??

How can you believe in Reptance , when Repentance was given to Israel ?? dan p

Yes, we are supposed to stop sinning.

If anybody does sin, we have an advocate with the Father---Jesus Christ....

1 John 2:1 My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have an advocate with the Father—Jesus Christ, the Righteous One.

Read this next passage about struggling with sin...

God Disciplines His Children
[sup]4[/sup] In your struggle against sin, you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding your blood. [sup]5[/sup] And have you completely forgotten this word of encouragement that addresses you as a father addresses his son? It says, “My son, do not make light of the Lord’s discipline,
and do not lose heart when he rebukes you,
[sup]6[/sup] because the Lord disciplines the one he loves,
and he chastens everyone he accepts as his son.”

[sup]7[/sup] Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as his children. For what children are not disciplined by their father? [sup]8[/sup] If you are not disciplined—and everyone undergoes discipline—then you are not legitimate, not true sons and daughters at all. [sup]9[/sup] Moreover, we have all had human fathers who disciplined us and we respected them for it. How much more should we submit to the Father of spirits and live! [sup]10[/sup] They disciplined us for a little while as they thought best; but God disciplines us for our good, in order that we may share in his holiness. [sup]11[/sup] No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.

We are to work out our own salvation with fear and trembling....

"Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling; for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure. Do all things without complaining and disputing, that you may become blameless and harmless, children of God without fault in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world, holding fast the word of life, so that I may rejoice in the day of Christ that I have not run in vain or labored in vain."

We are to become mature. And, train ourselves to distinguish good from evil....

Hebrews 5:14 But solid food is for the mature, who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguish good from evil.

dan p

Mar 26, 2009

Yes, we are supposed to stop sinning.

If anybody does sin, we have an advocate with the Father---Jesus Christ....

1 John 2:1 My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have an advocate with the Father—Jesus Christ, the Righteous One.

Read this next passage about struggling with sin...

God Disciplines His Children
[sup]4[/sup] In your struggle against sin, you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding your blood. [sup]5[/sup] And have you completely forgotten this word of encouragement that addresses you as a father addresses his son? It says, “My son, do not make light of the Lord’s discipline,
and do not lose heart when he rebukes you,
[sup]6[/sup] because the Lord disciplines the one he loves,
and he chastens everyone he accepts as his son.”

[sup]7[/sup] Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as his children. For what children are not disciplined by their father? [sup]8[/sup] If you are not disciplined—and everyone undergoes discipline—then you are not legitimate, not true sons and daughters at all. [sup]9[/sup] Moreover, we have all had human fathers who disciplined us and we respected them for it. How much more should we submit to the Father of spirits and live! [sup]10[/sup] They disciplined us for a little while as they thought best; but God disciplines us for our good, in order that we may share in his holiness. [sup]11[/sup] No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.

We are to work out our own salvation with fear and trembling....

"Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling; for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure. Do all things without complaining and disputing, that you may become blameless and harmless, children of God without fault in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world, holding fast the word of life, so that I may rejoice in the day of Christ that I have not run in vain or labored in vain."

We are to become mature. And, train ourselves to distinguish good from evil....

Hebrews 5:14 But solid food is for the mature, who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguish good from evil.

Hi and Col 2:13 says that " having forgiven you all TRESPASSES , and how do you handle that verse ??

The reason that Col 2:13 clashs with 1 John , is because , 1 John is for those under the New Covenant and NOT for today ,

Rom 8:1 , says , There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are " in Christ Jesus " who walk nor after the flesh , but after the Spirit , dan p

Anastacia

Oct 23, 2010
Hi and Col 2:13 says that " having forgiven you all TRESPASSES , and how do you handle that verse ??

The reason that Col 2:13 clashs with 1 John , is because , 1 John is for those under the New Covenant and NOT for today ,

Rom 8:1 , says , There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are " in Christ Jesus " who walk nor after the flesh , but after the Spirit , dan p

Hi dan p. Which scripture in 1 John do you mean? You say "1 John is for those under the New Covenant and NOT for today." I really need to know which scripture exactly you are talking about. Also, those under the New Covenant is for us today. All believers today are under the New Covenant.

I believe Colossians 2:13 is about Jesus dying for us BEFORE we changed in any way concerning sin. KWIM? We did not work for the gift that is for all if we have faith in Jesus Christ. Jesus died for us while we were still sinners, BUT we still have to come to him in faith to be under the New Covenant and be reconciled to God. Jesus died for us while we were still sinners (see Romans 5:8).

Why do you quote Romans 8:1? I think I might not be understanding exactly what you wanted to discuss in this thread. Maybe you can try again to explain to me?

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
Hi dan p. Which scripture in 1 John do you mean? You say "1 John is for those under the New Covenant and NOT for today." I really need to know which scripture exactly you are talking about. Also, those under the New Covenant is for us today. All believers today are under the New Covenant.

I believe Colossians 2:13 is about Jesus dying for us BEFORE we changed in any way concerning sin. KWIM? We did not work for the gift that is for all if we have faith in Jesus Christ. Jesus died for us while we were still sinners, BUT we still have to come to him in faith to be under the New Covenant and be reconciled to God. Jesus died for us while we were still sinners (see Romans 5:8).

Why do you quote Romans 8:1? I think I might not be understanding exactly what you wanted to discuss in this thread. Maybe you can try again to explain to me?

What dan p is putting out is a tradition that the New Covenant doesn't begin until AFTER Christ's future return (go ahead, ask him).

Another false basis dan p is on, is the false idea that only Apostle Paul's Epistles are meant for Christ's Church, all other Scripture is written specifically to Israel only. That other Scripture for Israel only includes the Four Gospel Books, the Book of Hebrews, Peter, James and I think even Revelation. That thinking is part of some newer modified form of Dispensationalism going on. It is a false tradition of course.

Anastacia

Oct 23, 2010

What dan p is putting out is a tradition that the New Covenant doesn't begin until AFTER Christ's future return (go ahead, ask him).

Another false basis dan p is on, is the false idea that only Apostle Paul's Epistles are meant for Christ's Church, all other Scripture is written specifically to Israel only. That other Scripture for Israel only includes the Four Gospel Books, the Book of Hebrews, Peter, James and I think even Revelation. That thinking is part of some newer modified form of Dispensationalism going on. It is a false tradition of course.

You explained that really well. Thanks. I can hardly believe that I'm surprised that there can be a twist like this for the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Hi Disciple . and the point is , that Repentance was given to Israel , and this sentence can be and OP , of why Israel was given reptance and not Gentiles .

It , looks like I will need a separate OP to explain it , dan p

dan p, The Old Testament tells us that the Savior will come after Israel repents. So, when John the baptist came, he brought repentance, to prepare the way for the Lord.

Repentance is for all sinners, and we are all sinners. Repentance isn't just for Israel, it's for all. In fact, repentance still prepares the way for the Lord today for believers. All people, when we believe in the Lord, we confess and are saved.

God gave us all over to disobedience (see Romans 11:32).

Here there is no Greek or Jew, circumcised or uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave or free, but Christ is all, and is in all. Colossians 3:11

here is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. Galatians 3:28

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
You explained that really well. Thanks. I can hardly believe that I'm surprised that there can be a twist like this for the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

dan p, The Old Testament tells us that the Savior will come after Israel repents. So, when John the baptist came, he brought repentance, to prepare the way for the Lord.

Repentance is for all sinners, and we are all sinners. Repentance isn't just for Israel, it's for all. In fact, repentance still prepares the way for the Lord today for believers. All people, when we believe in the Lord, we confess and are saved.

God gave us all over to disobedience (see Romans 11:32).

Here there is no Greek or Jew, circumcised or uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave or free, but Christ is all, and is in all. Colossians 3:11

here is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. Galatians 3:28

I'm curious how you define repentance in the context of what John the baptist preached?

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
You don't know what repentance means? It means confessing your sins and not doing that sin anymore.
What is your source on this definition?

Mat 3:1 InG1722 thoseG1565 daysG2250 cameG3854 JohnG2491 theG3588 Baptist,G910 preachingG2784 inG1722 theG3588 wildernessG2048 of Judaea,G2449
Mat 3:2 AndG2532 saying,G3004 RepentG3340 ye: forG1063 theG3588 kingdomG932 of heavenG3772 is at hand.G1448

μετανοέω
metanoeō
met-an-o-eh'-o
From G3326 and G3539; to think differently or afterwards, that is, reconsider (morally to feel compunction): - repent.

Anastacia

Oct 23, 2010
What is your source on this definition?

Mat 3:1 InG1722 thoseG1565 daysG2250 cameG3854 JohnG2491 theG3588 Baptist,G910 preachingG2784 inG1722 theG3588 wildernessG2048 of Judaea,G2449
Mat 3:2 AndG2532 saying,G3004 RepentG3340 ye: forG1063 theG3588 kingdomG932 of heavenG3772 is at hand.G1448

μετανοέω
metanoeō
met-an-o-eh'-o
From G3326 and G3539; to think differently or afterwards, that is, reconsider (morally to feel compunction): - repent.

What are you doing, jiggyfly? Didn't I tell you what repent means? Why did you post this? John the baptist came to prepare the way for the Lord, saying to people to repent. Are trying to show off? No one has to learn Koine Greek, nor Hebrew, or Aramaic to be saved and understand the Bible.