Do you believe Jesus has given you the Holy Spirit?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Johnlove

Jul 1, 2014
Wilson, NC
Axehead said:
Ok, so I agree with that. By living God's Word, I think you mean Obeying God's Word. When one is obeying God's Word they are not sinning. But it has to be a revealed word, a living word from the Holy Spirit where one is abiding in the Lord. Just obeying letters on paper does not mean one is not sinning. So, what's next?

By the way, I actually believe that ALL Scriptures are relevant to us as the Holy Spirit applies them personally.

2Ti 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
2Ti 3:17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

Rom 15:4 For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope.
[SIZE=16pt]Living God’s Word means one does not sin. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]The Holy Spirit/Jesus will warn one if he or she is in danger of committing sin.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]God gives one the true understanding of the written Word.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]Yes Jesus has given me his Holy Spirit. I know this because of the fruits produced from obeying God/Holy Spirit.[/SIZE]

John Zain

Newbie trainee
Sep 16, 2010
San Diego, CA
justaname said:
I would like to respond to this although I believe it requires its own thread so as to respect the OP.
Do you want to start it?
I believe you should start it ...
because I have provided verses in the past re:
There many dozens of warnings in the New Covenant,
some of which actually threaten the loss of eternal life?

I'll help you with the title ...
There are NO warnings in the NT about losing eternal life!

Axehead

May 9, 2012
Johnlove said:
[SIZE=16pt]Did I ever say that I was perfect?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]One knows he or she has the Holy Spirit if the fruit that is, living God’s Word is the fruit produced from the Holy Spirit’s guidance. Also if one has the magnifications of the gifts of the Holy Spirit.[/SIZE]

Do you sin sometimes? Say, like once a year?

Johnlove said:
[SIZE=16pt]The Holy Spirit/Jesus will warn one if he or she is in danger of committing sin.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]Yes Jesus has given me his Holy Spirit. I know this because of the fruits produced from obeying God/Holy Spirit.[/SIZE]
Praise the Lord, John.

truthquest

May 23, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Johnlove said:
Where are the scriptures that say that anyone other than Jesus did not sin? Heb. 4:15 For we have not a high priest who cannot be touched with the feeling of our weaknesses; but was in all points tempted like we are, yet without sin.
Did the apostles say that they did not sin or any of the disciples or anyone in the early church? Does this mean that they weren't living God's word? Does this mean that they didn't have the gifts or fruits of the Holy Spirit?. Where are the scriptures that say anyone else other than Jesus was without sin?....
As I recall there were some who thought they were righteous and held contempt for everyone else. But these were the Pharisees.
Luke 18:9 And he told this parable against those men who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and they held contempt for everyone: 10"Two men went up to The Temple to pray: one a Pharisee and the other a Tax Collector." 11"The Pharisee was standing alone by himself and he was praying these things: 'God, I thank you that I am not like other men: extortioners, oppressors, adulterers, and not like this Tax Collector.' 12'But I fast twice in a week and I tithe everything that I possess.'" 13"But that Tax Collector was standing from a distance and he would not even lift his eyes up to Heaven, but he was smiting on his chest and he said, 'God, have pity on me, a sinner.' " 14"I say to you that this one went down to his house justified rather than that Pharisee, for every man who exalts himself shall be humbled, and everyone who humbles himself shall be exalted."

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Johnlove said:
But it could also be that it gives people like you a way to throw stones at me.
Throwing stones would be an improper analogy. You see it was the self righteous that lined up to throw stones at the sinner...you are the self righteous one.

Just to speak a little to you personally, I do not agree with you theologically. I speak to your spirit of pride out of love for I truly care and this is what is perceived through your posts and threads. I have nothing against you personally only against what the Holy Spirit reveals to me as being false teachings and unrepentant sin.

I still pray for you.

Johnlove

Jul 1, 2014
Wilson, NC
justaname said:
Throwing stones would be an improper analogy. You see it was the self righteous that lined up to throw stones at the sinner...you are the self righteous one.
[SIZE=16pt]Who is it that is throwing stones now?[/SIZE]

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Righteous...

characterized by uprightness or morality: a righteous observance of the law.
morally right or justifiable: righteous indignation.
acting in an upright, moral way; virtuous: a righteous and godly person.
Slang. absolutely genuine or wonderful: some righteous playing by a jazz great.

I think we all know what self means...the proclamation of your righteousness has come from you.

Johnlove

Jul 1, 2014
Wilson, NC
truthquest said:
Where are the scriptures that say that anyone other than Jesus did not sin? Heb. 4:15 For we have not a high priest who cannot be touched with the feeling of our weaknesses; but was in all points tempted like we are, yet without sin.
Did the apostles say that they did not sin or any of the disciples or anyone in the early church? Does this mean that they weren't living God's word? Does this mean that they didn't have the gifts or fruits of the Holy Spirit?. Where are the scriptures that say anyone else other than Jesus was without sin?....
As I recall there were some who thought they were righteous and held contempt for everyone else. But these were the Pharisees.
Luke 18:9 And he told this parable against those men who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and they held contempt for everyone: 10"Two men went up to The Temple to pray: one a Pharisee and the other a Tax Collector." 11"The Pharisee was standing alone by himself and he was praying these things: 'God, I thank you that I am not like other men: extortioners, oppressors, adulterers, and not like this Tax Collector.' 12'But I fast twice in a week and I tithe everything that I possess.'" 13"But that Tax Collector was standing from a distance and he would not even lift his eyes up to Heaven, but he was smiting on his chest and he said, 'God, have pity on me, a sinner.' " 14"I say to you that this one went down to his house justified rather than that Pharisee, for every man who exalts himself shall be humbled, and everyone who humbles himself shall be exalted."
[SIZE=16pt]Jesus did not sin. A Christian stops sinning when he or she become spiritual. That happens after he or she is taught, and given the grace by the Holy Spirit, to live God’s Word.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]When a person is able, and willing to live God’s Word they become temples of God. A home of God. God protects his home, and Satan/sin can’t enter.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt](John 14: 23) “Anybody who receives my commandments and keeps them will be one who loves me; and anybody who loves me will be loved by My Father, and I shall love him and show myself to him.” [/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt](John 14: 23) “Anyone who loves me will keep my word and my Father will love him, and we shall come to him and make a home in him.”[/SIZE]

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Johnlove said:
Jesus did not sin. A Christian stops sinning when he or she become spiritual. That happens after he or she is taught, and given the grace by the Holy Spirit, to live God’s Word.

When a person is able, and willing to live God’s Word they become temples of God. A home of God. God protects his home, and Satan/sin can’t enter.

(John 14: 23) “Anybody who receives my commandments and keeps them will be one who loves me; and anybody who loves me will be loved by My Father, and I shall love him and show myself to him.”

(John 14: 23) “Anyone who loves me will keep my word and my Father will love him, and we shall come to him and make a home in him.”
This is where Scripture disagrees with you...Scripture tells us we are sealed with the Holy Spirit upon belief.

truthquest

May 23, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Johnlove said:
[SIZE=16pt]Jesus did not sin. A Christian stops sinning when he or she become spiritual. That happens after he or she is taught, and given the grace by the Holy Spirit, to live God’s Word.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]When a person is able, and willing to live God’s Word they become temples of God. A home of God. God protects his home, and Satan/sin can’t enter.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt](John 14: 23) “Anybody who receives my commandments and keeps them will be one who loves me; and anybody who loves me will be loved by My Father, and I shall love him and show myself to him.” [/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt](John 14: 23) “Anyone who loves me will keep my word and my Father will love him, and we shall come to him and make a home in him.”[/SIZE]
That is correct. Jesus did not sin and Jesus only. Heb. 4:15
No one is on the same level as Jesus as being without sin and perfect like he is who does not sin at one time or another in word or deed. So if we do sin: 1John 2:1 My little children, I am writing you these things so that you may not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate with the Father--Jesus Christ the Righteous One.
Heb. 7:25 Therefore he is able to save completely those who come to God through him, because he always lives to intercede for them. Why would we need Jesus to intercede for us if we were without sin? Why would we need an advocate?
Rom. 8:34 Who then is the one who condemns? No one. Christ Jesus who died--more than that, who was raised to life--is at the right hand of God and is also interceding for us. 1Tim. 2:5 For there is one God and one mediator between God and mankind, the man Christ Jesus,...Why would we need a mediator if we were without sin?
2Cor. 5:21 God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God. Heb. 7:26 Such a high priest truly meets our need--one who is holy, blameless, pure, set apart from sinners, exalted above the heavens. 1John 3:5 But you know that he appeared so that he might take away our sins. And in him is no sin. The scriptures repeatedly tell us clearly that only Jesus is without sin. The scriptures mention no one else who was without sin.
Matt. 6:1"Beware of practicing your righteousness before men to be noticed by them; otherwise you have no reward with your Father who is in heaven.

Johnlove

Jul 1, 2014
Wilson, NC
truthquest said:
That is correct. Jesus did not sin and Jesus only. Heb. 4:15
No one is on the same level as Jesus as being without sin and perfect like he is who does not sin at one time or another in word or deed. So if we do sin:
1John 2:1 My little children, I am writing you these things so that you may not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate with the Father--Jesus Christ the Righteous One.
[SIZE=16pt]Yes you should read that verse carefully.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt](1 John 2:1-2) “I am writing this, [/SIZE][SIZE=16pt]my children[/SIZE][SIZE=16pt], to stop you sinning; but if anyone should sin, we have our advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ, who is just; he is the sacrifice that takes our sins away, and not only ours, but the whole world’s.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]It says we have an advocate who is just. A just advocate will make sure justice is done. Those you did evil will be punished as they deserve. Those who obeyed God will receive their just reward. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]Also this verse was addressed to children/infants in Christ. As Paul said infants in Christ are not yet spiritual, and still sin. [/SIZE]
Heb. 7:25 Therefore he is able to save completely those who come to God through him, because he always lives to intercede for them. Why would we need Jesus to intercede for us if we were without sin? Why would we need an advocate?
Rom. 8:34 Who then is the one who condemns? No one. Christ Jesus who died--more than that, who was raised to life--is at the right hand of God and is also interceding for us. 1Tim. 2:5 For there is one God and one mediator between God and mankind, the man Christ Jesus,..
.Why would we need a mediator if we were without sin?
[SIZE=16pt]Because before we were given a way to be able not to sin we needed a mediator. [/SIZE]
2Cor. 5:21 God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God. Heb. 7:26 Such a high priest truly meets our need--one who is holy, blameless, pure, set apart from sinners, exalted above the heavens. 1John 3:5 But you know that he appeared so that he might take away our sins
. And in him is no sin
[SIZE=16pt]That is right there is no sin in Jesus. To be in Jesus one has to walk as Jesus walked.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt](1 John 2:6) “But if anyone obeys his word, God’s love is truly made complete in him. This is how we know we are in him: [/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt](1 John 2:6) “Whoever claims to remain in him must act as he acted.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt](1 John 3:5-6) “Now you know that he appeared in order to abolish sin, and that in him there is no sin; anyone who lives in God does not sin, and anyone who sins has never seen him or known him.[/SIZE]
. The scriptures repeatedly tell us clearly that only Jesus is without sin. The scriptures mention no one else who was without sin.
Matt. 6:1"Beware of practicing your righteousness before men to be noticed by them; otherwise you have no reward with your Father who is in heaven.

[SIZE=16pt]You are wrong again. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]Scripture does tell us that those begotten by God can’t sin. And also Jesus said those who obey his commandments he will make a home in. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]Sinning is not obeying Jesus commandments.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt](1 John 3:9) “No one, who has been begotten by God sins; because God’s seed remains inside him, he cannot sin when he has been begotten by God.”[/SIZE]

truthquest

May 23, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Johnlove said:

[SIZE=16pt]Scripture does tell us that those begotten by God can’t sin. And also Jesus said those who obey his commandments he will make a home in. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt](1 John 3:9) “No one, who has been begotten by God sins; because God’s seed remains inside him, he cannot sin when he has been begotten by God.”[/SIZE]

So you believe since you are without sin that you do not need Jesus. You do not need Jesus to intercede for you or to be an advocate with the Father or to be a mediator. You must believe you can approach the Father directly. Yet the scriptures say, John 14:6 Jesus said unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man comes unto the Father, but by me. I wonder why Jesus said that then if we think we are sinless and don't need him then why do we need to go through him to get to the Father. Why can't we just approach the Father directly. I think we know that anyone who sins cannot approach the Father directly so we must go through Jesus who is the only one without sin and who is the mediator, the advocate with the Father and who intercedes for us.

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Johnlove said:

There is only One begotten Son of God...Jesus the Christ

John called those "his children" not because they are unspiritual but because he is the Bishop or Overseer of the region that received the letter. This phrase given in the same letter supports my case.

25 This is the promise which He Himself made to us: eternal life.
26 These things I have written to you concerning those who are trying to deceive you.
27 As for you, the anointing which you received from Him abides in you, and you have no need for anyone to teach you; but as His anointing teaches you about all things, and is true and is not a lie, and just as it has taught you, you abide in Him.
28 Now, little children, abide in Him, so that when He appears, we may have confidence and not shrink away from Him in shame at His coming.
29 If you know that He is righteous, you know that everyone also who practices righteousness is born of Him.

Notice after John says the anointing abides in them he calls them little children again. The Holy Spirit is given upon belief, not when we have worked hard enough and been good enough to receive Him.

Reactions: truthquest

Johnlove

Jul 1, 2014
Wilson, NC
justaname said:
There is only One begotten Son of God...Jesus the Christ

John called those "his children" not because they are unspiritual but because he is the Bishop or Overseer of the region that received the letter. This phrase given in the same letter supports my case.

25 This is the promise which He Himself made to us: eternal life.
26 These things I have written to you concerning those who are trying to deceive you.
27 As for you, the anointing which you received from Him abides in you, and you have no need for anyone to teach you; but as His anointing teaches you about all things, and is true and is not a lie, and just as it has taught you, you abide in Him.
28 Now, little children, abide in Him, so that when He appears, we may have confidence and not shrink away from Him in shame at His coming.
29 If you know that He is righteous, you know that everyone also who practices righteousness is born of Him.

Notice after John says the anointing abides in them he calls them little children again. The Holy Spirit is given upon belief, not when we have worked hard enough and been good enough to receive Him.
[SIZE=16pt]Scripture tells us that to be in Jesus one has to walk as Jesus walked, acted.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt](1 John 2:6) “But if anyone obeys his word, God’s love is truly made complete in him. This is how we know we are in him: Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt](1 John 2:6) “Whoever claims to remain in him must act as he acted.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]You can believe what you want, but if you sin then you have never seen Jesus nor do you know him.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt](1 John 3:5-6) “Now you know that he appeared in order to abolish sin, and that in him there is no sin; anyone who lives in God does not sin, and anyone who sins has never seen him or known him.[/SIZE]

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Johnlove said:
[SIZE=16pt]Scripture tells us that to be in Jesus one has to walk as Jesus walked, acted.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt](1 John 2:6) “But if anyone obeys his word, God’s love is truly made complete in him. This is how we know we are in him: Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]You can believe what you want, but if you sin then you have never seen Jesus nor do you know him.[/SIZE]

No one disagrees that we are encouraged to not sin. All who are Christ's do walk as He walked. All who are Christ's do avoid sin. All who are God's children have His seed and His Spirit.

Where we disagree is when you say if one sins they immediately lose salvation. This simply is not supported by Scripture in fact the letter written to the Ephesians directly opposes this teaching. Revelation 2:1-5 Scripture teaches Jesus is the Advocate for those who do sin. 1John 2:1

Again what you attempt to teach is Christ is divided into two separate bodies...those who are spiritual and those unspiritual. This is a false teaching and Scripture speaks directly against your false theory. Ephesians 4:4

I have started a thread on 1John 3:5-6 in order to help you comprehend the Holy Spirit's teaching through Scripture.

Axehead

May 9, 2012
If we sin after being given the Holy Spirit and then lose salvation, then who can be saved? Who is perfect after receiving the Holy Spirit?

Johnlove

Jul 1, 2014
Wilson, NC
justaname said:
No one disagrees that we are encouraged to not sin. All who are Christ's do walk as He walked.
All who are Christ's do avoid sin. All who are God's children have His seed and His Spirit.
[SIZE=16pt]No if one is in Christ he or she does not sin. A Spiritual Christian does not sin. A Spiritual Christian is one who has been given the knowledge of the truth, and if such a person deliberately commits a sin there is no forgiveness.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt](Hebrews 10:26-31) “If, after we have been given knowledge of the truth, we should deliberately commit any sins, then there is no longer any sacrifice for them. There is left only the dreadful prospect of judgment and of the fiery wrath that is to devour your enemies--------“[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]John tells us that one who is in Christ/begotten by God can’t sin.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]I quoted scripture that tells you that you are wrong.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]Don’t you want to know how God made it possible for you to be begotten by God.[/SIZE]

Where we disagree is when you say if one sins they immediately lose salvation. This simply is not supported by Scripture in fact the letter written to the Ephesians directly opposes this teaching. Revelation 2:1-5 Scripture teaches Jesus is the Advocate for those who do sin. 1John 2:1

[SIZE=16pt]People who have not been begotten may have salivation, but that salivation, does not mean one will go to heaven. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]Yes you should read that verse carefully.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt](1 John 2:1-2) “I am writing this, [/SIZE][SIZE=16pt]my children[/SIZE][SIZE=16pt], to stop you sinning; but if anyone should sin, we have our advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ, who is just; he is the sacrifice that takes our sins away, and not only ours, but the whole world’s.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]It says we have an advocate who is just. A just advocate will make sure justice is done. Those you did evil will be punished as they deserve. Those who obeyed God will receive their just reward. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]Also this verse was addressed to children/infants in Christ. As Paul said infants in Christ are not yet spiritual, and still sin. [/SIZE]

justaname said:
Again what you attempt to teach is Christ is divided into two separate bodies...those who are spiritual and those unspiritual. This is a false teaching and Scripture speaks directly against your false theory. Ephesians 4:4

I have started a thread on 1John 3:5-6 in order to help you comprehend the Holy Spirit's teaching through Scripture.
[SIZE=16pt]A straw man argument. I have no idea of what you are saying I taught.[/SIZE]
Axehead said:
If we sin after being given the Holy Spirit and then lose salvation, then who can be saved? Who is perfect after receiving the Holy Spirit?
[SIZE=16pt]If this post is directed to me it is a straw man argument. Because I never said any such thing. [/SIZE]

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Johnlove said:
[SIZE=16pt]When one receives the Holy Spirit and does not obey the Holy Spirit, it is over.[/SIZE]
Is this not your quote?

John Zain

Newbie trainee
Sep 16, 2010
San Diego, CA
Johnlove said:
[SIZE=16pt]When a person is able, and willing to live God’s Word [/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]they become temples of God. [/SIZE][SIZE=16pt]A home of God. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]God protects his home, and Satan/sin can’t enter.[/SIZE]
Agreed that a demon cannot push the Holy Spirit out of the spirit (man) of a BAC.
However, demons (plural) can take up residence in the body and soul of a BAC.
For example: Many such residences are the result of generational curses,
and are not in the least bit affected when a person becomes born-again!
These demon spirits must be cast out ... yes in such cases,
the BAC needs to experience what we call today "deliverance".

I wonder if this is what God meant when He said man is made in the image of God?
Are both God and man made up of body, soul (mind, will, emotions), and spirit?

As for sin not being able to enter a BAC ... this is beyond ludicrous!
You are misunderstanding Scripture.

Axehead

May 9, 2012
justaname said:
Is this not your quote?
Thank you, justaname. I did not think it was a "strawman". Johnlove, please clarify your position. Can you do it clearly in your own words?