Do you forgive easily?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just wondering do you find it hard to forgive others?

I forgive easily. I guess I just take the words of Jesus about forgiving very simply....and just do it.

People who will not forgive only hurt themselves. It can cause bitterness within a person and a lack of peace because the Holy Spirit is grieved within them.

30And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. 31Let all bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor, and evil speaking be put away from you, with all malice. 32And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you.
Ephesians 4:30-32
Yes, When I forgave the people who murdered my Father in 1993. They ask me, how? I told them about Jesus, they repented of their sins and recieved Jesus into their life, heart. I went to the Chaplin, who connected them with the Prision Ministries.

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, When I forgave the people who murdered my Father in 1993. They ask me, how? I told them about Jesus, they repented of their sins and recieved Jesus into their life, heart. I went to the Chaplin, who connected them with the Prision Ministries.
And so many will not forgive petty things....but you forgave....

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I would not interpret that to mean, "You forgive them, Father, because I can't! (Especially that S.O.B. Judas!)"
Well it certainly does not mean ' I forgive them.'

If we cannot believe what the words printed in the bible, then we are really in trouble.

" Father Forgive them. " simple means what one reads there, Jesus is asking the Almighty God the Father to forgive his crucifixes.

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The point is that Christ offers everyone forgiveness, and many take up the offer, as did many who called for his crucifixion.

Act 2:37-41 Now when they heard this, they were cut to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, "Men and brethren, what shall we do?" (38) Then Peter said to them, "Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. (39) For the promise is to you and to your children, and to all who are afar off, as many as the Lord our God will call." (40) And with many other words he testified and exhorted them, saying, "Be saved from this perverse generation." (41) Then those who gladly received his word were baptized; and that day about three thousand souls were added to them.

Act 6:7
Then the word of God spread, and the number of the disciples multiplied greatly in Jerusalem, and a great many of the priests were obedient to the faith.
Yes as he says in John3:16, For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believed in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
And as it goes on in verse 18:- Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe in him stands condemned already because they have not believed.

Reactions: goforit/leap

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Oh? Think about it. "Father, please don't take vengeance on my tormentors" certainly says that Jesus did not want His enemies to be hurt. This clearly implies forgiveness on Jesus's part (as He told us to do also).
In asking His Father to forgive Jesus handed the situation over to God for him to deal with.

We are to forgive as Jesus forgave us. We were forgiven because we repented.
We like Jesus must forgive those who have repented of offending against us.

Reactions: goforit/leap

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus said:
Even if they do not repent of offences.

Luke 6:27-38
But I say unto you which hear, Love your enemies, do good to them which hate you, bless them that curse you, and pray for them which despitefully use you. And unto him that smiteth thee on the one cheek offer also the other; and him that taketh away thy cloke forbid not to take thy coat also.

This is true forgiveness, just as The Learner displayed. Bless you Learner and may God supply us all with this grace to forgive!

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Jesus said:
Even if they do not repent of offences.

Luke 6:27-38
But I say unto you which hear, Love your enemies, do good to them which hate you, bless them that curse you, and pray for them which despitefully use you. And unto him that smiteth thee on the one cheek offer also the other; and him that taketh away thy cloke forbid not to take thy coat also.

This is true forgiveness, just as The Learner displayed. Bless you Learner and may God supply us all with this grace to forgive!
I would agree 100% that this is how one should treat an unrepentant offender, but there is nothing in this that says one is forgiving them, just showing them love.

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would agree 100% that this is how one should treat an unrepentant offender, but there is nothing in this that says one is forgiving them, just showing them love.
How can one forgive if they don't have love?
Do these not go hand in hand!
Love your neighbor as yourself...love the brethren as I have loved you.....are these not the commandments?

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
How can one forgive if they don't have love?
Do these not go hand in hand!
Love your neighbor as yourself...love the brethren as I have loved you.....are these not the commandments?
I've noi dea where you are coming from.

If someone offends against one, we should point this out a d on there repentance forgive them.
If they will not repent, we have the option of going through the church elders and of church discipline, but if they will not recognise they have offended or if it is not possible to communicate with them.
Then we do not have to forgive them, instead we like Jesus on the cross, we hand the whole situation over to God, our feelings, our hurt everything and we pray for them.

There is no holding of grudges, no lack of love in this, instead one is opening g oneself up to God, pouring out one's feelings resulting from the incident and pouring out prayers of love for the offender, as one prays for their good.

It is actually much easier to say I forgive them and to forget it.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In asking His Father to forgive Jesus handed the situation over to God for him to deal with.

We are to forgive as Jesus forgave us. We were forgiven because we repented.
We like Jesus must forgive those who have repented of offending against us.
Jesus was asking His Father to handle the situation in a specific way - with forgiveness. Not, "Avenge Me, Father!". And I don't see that His tormenters ceased doing what they were doing ("Oops, our bad. Sorry about that. You can come down from that cross now."), so repentance doesn't come in to play.

• Love
Reactions: TLHKAJ and Debp

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Jesus was asking His Father to handle the situation in a specific way - with forgiveness. Not, "Avenge Me, Father!". And I don't see that His tormenters ceased doing what they were doing ("Oops, our bad. Sorry about that. You can come down from that cross now."), so repentance doesn't come in to play.
Yes Jesus was praying to his Father and our Father asking him to forgive them.
Yes that was what Jesus did.

What are the conditions that God expects before he forgives?
Like 18:10-14 which man did Jrsus say was justified before God?

Parable of the unjust servant, did he and the other servant both plead for mercy?

Alive3

Nov 7, 2023
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just wondering do you find it hard to forgive others?

I forgive easily. I guess I just take the words of Jesus about forgiving very simply....and just do it.

People who will not forgive only hurt themselves. It can cause bitterness within a person and a lack of peace because the Holy Spirit is grieved within them.

30And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. 31Let all bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor, and evil speaking be put away from you, with all malice. 32And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you.
Ephesians 4:30-32
Hello @Debp--'In Christ' forgiveness flows as naturally as water does. It flows out from Him, from His very Nature, which we are.
All that is needed is for us to get out of the way. That happens over time, as we walk in Him and He works in us.
Much could be said about this, but its a very simple thing.

• Love
Reactions: L.A.M.B. and Debp

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello @Debp--'In Christ' forgiveness flows as naturally as water does. It flows out from Him, from His very Nature, which we are.
All that is needed is for us to get out of the way. That happens over time, as we walk in Him and He works in us.
Much could be said about this, but its a very simple thing.
Welcome to Christianity Boards.

Reactions: Debp

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What are the conditions that God expects before he forgives?
Like 18:10-14 which man did Jrsus say was justified before God?

Parable of the unjust servant, did he and the other servant both plead for mercy?
Jesus paid the price.

He will not however force you to recieve his gift. He want you in faith to recieve it.

John 1: 12 But as many as have recieved him to THEM he gave the right or power to become sons of God

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
God is sovereign, and He forgives whom He wants to forgive, and for reasons ultimately known to Himself.
God is not arbitrary, he has consistently made known his expectations of people and what is required for forgiveness.
Have you never read 2 chronicle 7:14, if my people will turn from there wicked ways ( repentance ) humble themselves and pray, then I will forgive.
What could be clearer.

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Jesus paid the price.

He will not however force you to recieve his gift. He want you in faith to recieve it.

John 1: 12 But as many as have recieved him to THEM he gave the right or power to become sons of God
The subject is " Do you forgive easily? "

I am maintaining that as imitators of Jesus we like Jesus forgive those who repent.

That it is unbiblical to say that a Christian must always forgive an offender.

What are your views on this subj3ct.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The subject is " Do you forgive easily? "

I am maintaining that as imitators of Jesus we like Jesus forgive those who repent.

That it is unbiblical to say that a Christian must always forgive an offender.

What are your views on this subj3ct.
Jesus forgave them

He will not forgive their unbelief however..