Do you forgive easily?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The gospel of Luke has the complete treatise on forgiveness.
4 parables:
Lost sheep
Lost coin
Shrewd manager

Maybe we should believe what scriptures say hmmm?

Alive3

Nov 7, 2023
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Those in Christ, extend the same Grace to others that we enjoy.
I am quite certain, that His forgiveness through us toward others does not depend on that souls repentance.
We forgive, as we are forgiven.
Consider this exercise: "friend, I won't forgive you until you repent or are sorry".
How does the Spirit of Christ within you react to that scenario?

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Jesus forgave them

He will not forgive their unbelief however..
You are saying that Jesus forgave them, who are ' them ', what did they do?

You also said Jesus will not forgive unbelief. Unbelief is sin, so you are saying Jesus will not forgive sinners.
How then does Jesus forgive?

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The gospel of Luke has the complete treatise on forgiveness.
4 parables:
Lost sheep
Lost coin
Shrewd manager

Maybe we should believe what scriptures say hmmm?
Always a good idea, so like 17:3 says if someone offends against you rebuke them and if they repent forgive them.
The lost sheep and coin show us how precious we are to Jesus and the lengths he will go to save us. They say nothing about forgiveness.
The shrewd manager, well please explain where he repents and is forgiven.

The prodigal son is a classic example of sin, repentance and forgiveness.

Reactions: JohnDB

bluedragon

Aug 7, 2021
Birmingham, Al
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
After officiating football for 25 years. There are not too many names I have not been called, nor too many stupid things I haven't heard from the sidelines or stands .....

Simply smile, shake my head and think ....."Come on, we can be far more creative than what I just heard." I need new material ....LOL

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am quite certain, that His forgiveness through us toward others does not depend on that souls repentance.
Consider this exercise: "friend, I won't forgive you until you repent or are sorry".

Well said. Especially your last two sentences. Holding onto unforgiveness can become childish.

11When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I set aside childish ways. 1 Corinthians 13:11

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Always a good idea, so like 17:3 says if someone offends against you rebuke them and if they repent forgive them.
The lost sheep and coin show us how precious we are to Jesus and the lengths he will go to save us. They say nothing about forgiveness.
The shrewd manager, well please explain where he repents and is forgiven.

The prodigal son is a classic example of sin, repentance and forgiveness.
It's a treatise on the 5 types of sin and how difficult it is for us to repent from and for God to forgive. Ignorance, negligence, planned, and self-righteousness....

The shrewd manager is a tale explaining our capacity to forgive as the forgiven amounts were equal in value but some still owed the manager a huge debt where others almost nothing.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are saying that Jesus forgave them, who are ' them ', what did they do?

You also said Jesus will not forgive unbelief. Unbelief is sin, so you are saying Jesus will not forgive sinners.
How then does Jesus forgive?
He who believes is not condemned

He who does not believe is condemned already, because they continue to live in sin, or walked away from him, or fell away. Or (insert whatever you think a person must do to be saved).

No.. He who does not believe is condemned already BECAUSE THEY DO NOT BELIEVE.

Reactions: TLHKAJ

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
After officiating football for 25 years. There are not too many names I have not been called, nor too many stupid things I haven't heard from the sidelines or stands .....

Simply smile, shake my head and think ....."Come on, we can be far more creative than what I just heard." I need new material ....LOL
I agree, the angry abuse from the disappointed is an attempt to get a reaction from one.
To dismiss it is the best way of handling it.

But how do you deal with something that does affect you, from persons known to you or unknown, an incident that causes physical harm, or serious financial loss?
are you critising God? Because that is how God operates.

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But how do you deal with something that does affect you, from persons known to you or unknown, an incident that causes physical harm, or serious financial loss?

You forgive them and then separate from them as to not be in a position to where they can continually damage you.

I've had to do that in my life... sure I still love them as human beings, forgive them, and pray that the eyes of their understanding be opened so they can see their need for the Lord and get saved,

But, I'm not going to continually allow someone to cause trouble and damage to me ongoing... that's slow!

Like the old saying goes... fool me once shame on you.
Fool me twice... shame on me... for allowing it to keep happening!

ShineTheLight

May 7, 2021
Beaverton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've had to do that in my life... sure I still love them as human beings, forgive them, and pray that the eyes of their understanding be opened so they can see their need for the Lord and get saved,

Love not in word, but in deed.

Same goes for forgiveness. Forgive not in word, but in deed. A lot of people have a hard time with the forgiveness thing, and I can see why.

bluedragon

Aug 7, 2021
Birmingham, Al
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree, the angry abuse from the disappointed is an attempt to get a reaction from one.
To dismiss it is the best way of handling it.

are you critising God? Because that is how God operates.

The same way I conduct business and family .......Solve the problem and move forward ....
I suppose I was born without revenge genes ......

Reactions: goforit/leap

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Love not in word, but in deed.

Same goes for forgiveness. Forgive not in word, but in deed. A lot of people have a hard time with the forgiveness thing, and I can see why.

Yes and I don't have to allow someone to continually damage me by doing sinful things to me and my family either!

The "deed" part in my last post was that I would forgive then, let what they did go, and I would pray for them.

If you believe one should allow others to continually do evil stuff to them over and over... go right ahead!

The demons would really appreciate that!

Reactions: L.A.M.B.

Alive3

Nov 7, 2023
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 1:17 (NAS20S) For the Law was given through Moses; grace and truth were realized through Jesus Christ.
Rom. 8:2 (NAS20S) For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and of death.

Think about these things together and may the 'Paraclete' shine Light to see.

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
You forgive them and then separate from them as to not be in a position to where they can continually damage you.

But, I'm not going to continually allow someone to cause trouble and damage to me ongoing... that's slow!

Like the old saying goes... fool me once shame on you.
Fool me twice... shame on me... for allowing it to keep happening!

So you do what God does not do. You forgive whoever offends/harms you and have nothing more to do with them!
How is that forgiveness?
How are you following 1 Peter 4:8 Above all love each other deeply because love covers over a multitude of sins.

Reactions: goforit/leap