Do you like Tebow because he is a Christian?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jake

Aug 21, 2011
Western US
I like Tebow, he used to write 3:16, referring to the scripture in John, under his eyes before every game. He threw 316 yards last game, so the most searched phrase on google the next day was "John 3:16". Tebow is not a very good player, the team is not very good, but God took it all in a supernatural way and it pointed people to Himself. I realize it's a hype right now, but hopefully it gets some people thinking and as God draws some to Himself, they will accept.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I like Tebow, he used to write 3:16, referring to the scripture in John, under his eyes before every game. He threw 316 yards last game, so the most searched phrase on google the next day was "John 3:16". Tebow is not a very good player, the team is not very good, but God took it all in a supernatural way and it pointed people to Himself. I realize it's a hype right now, but hopefully it gets some people thinking and as God draws some to Himself, they will accept.

Do you find it helpful or encouraging to watch a sports figure express his faith?

Redeemed86

Oct 14, 2011
My only issue with him is his gimmick factor. He's hot now but when the losses come, will God's loss of interest in him be to blame? Did God really "choose" him because he prays to him in public? What about those other men on that other team that pray without ceasing, but don't have the notoriety? Did God ignore them, in favor of him?

Christians are all chosen ones, but most of us know that God is no respecter of men, and therefore doesn't need a celebrity endorsement. He also stresses to us to pray in private:

Matthew 6:5-6

[sup]5[/sup] “And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. [sup]6[/sup] But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

He seems like a good person, but I don't know him apart from the media buzz.

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was a fan of Tebow even at the University of Florida (as much as I disliked his stellar record against us and UF in general) - I did a blog post on this after the game last week, actually.

I like Tebow as a QB and leader of my favorite NFL team the Broncos. It enhances my "liking" because Tebow is a Christian is stirring up the pot and bringing Jesus into what he does. Unlike many, he's lived the life of faith and so his expressions seem very genuine. Do I believe God is using Tebow? Absolutely. Do I believe God takes over and wins Tebow games? Hardly.

However, for the detractors, I will point out that Tim had the 3rd best recorded quarter (2nd qtr) in history for QBs in the post-season last week. He has set the single-season QB rushing record at the Broncos (folks have to keep in mind John Elway could actually scramble quite well). Is he Tom Brady and Peyton Manning elite? Well, obviously not, but our culture has jaded us in that you have to be pretty darn good at what you do to play in the NFL period. Again, not elite, but not that bad either. At the end of the day, any player will tell you wins matter most which is why Dan Marino will slowly fall out of the talk of best QB ever.

With polls, one has to always be careful about what they're saying. I feel like this article is trying to make the case that Tebow wins because of God, but the answer to that question could also mean that Tebow is viewed sucessfully in light of his faith. He's got a ton of people talking about Jesus one way or the other.

My only issue with him is his gimmick factor. He's hot now but when the losses come, will God's loss of interest in him be to blame? Did God really "choose" him because he prays to him in public? What about those other men on that other team that pray without ceasing, but don't have the notoriety? Did God ignore them, in favor of him?

Actually, that has kinda already transpired. Broncos were blown out by the Bills (who aren't that good) and then again by the Patriots who they play this week. They lost a third game in a row for their final season game against the Kansas City Chiefs in a very ugly 7-3 game. (And not Alabama v LSU I style for you college football fans.) The Broncos responded by beating Pittsburgh who had injuries but still boasted one of the better defenses in the NFL.

Reactions: Miss Hepburn

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, I admit I am struggling with this whole Tebow infatuation phenomenon.....

He is a likable guy and seems to have something special as a quarterback...if not technique, a will to win.

Perhaps my issue is related to the 'bandwagon' aspect.

I've actually thought about this a lot. I am naturally resistant to jumping on any bandwagon - I have a friend who loves it when he can relate to famous people - as if their success is his success. So then I think, am I just being antisocial because I feel so resistant? The majority of people in the world love to experience rock concerts live and sport games in the stands......I tend to be a stick in the mud about these things.

In any case, I certainly cannot judge people for liking Tebow as an athlete or even simply because they can relate to his expression of faith, especially due to my own resistance.

Redeemed86

Oct 14, 2011
The danger in the Tebow craze is that any potential convert would, likely, align themselves with a prosperity gospel (demonic) doctrine. Which turns God into a genie and makes Christians feel entitled to be healthy, wealthy, and happy in this life. What would you need God for then? Maintenance?

Not only my life, but millions of other Christians, who have endured many hardships in life would tell you otherwise. Our faith alone in God's promises has kept us afloat and is what keeps us humble. I realize our 'cups' are all different and we all walk different paths, but they should all lead to one central path, to Jesus. Again, I don't know him, but I can't be blind to contradictions between what I do know about him and what the bible says.

I have a hard time with God condemning rich men but then assisting Tebow into the NFL to make millions. Nothing against the NFL, but I don't see how it furthers God's kingdom. Most prosperity/triumphs in the OT were born of long-suffering, and strong faith. Not to say it can't be otherwise, but I would think It'd be hard to maintain a selflessness in that situation.

Another question I ask myself is why the media (a.k.a consumerist-promoting world system) is so interested in Jesus? I think the reason the media attached to Tebow's story is because it can be aligned with the prosperity agenda. Just my opinion.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
I think it awesome anytime anyone can express their faith in Christ to others unashamedly, especially in arenas where it may not be popular.

The sad part in cases like these, when someone that's highly visible in sports, media, or politics gets saved and professes Christ, the mega churches usually make them part of their leadership even though they are immature spiritually and exploit them, but I guess when compared to many of these mega church pastors they're not any less mature.

Jake

Aug 21, 2011
Western US
Do you find it helpful or encouraging to watch a sports figure express his faith?
I've never noticed before, so I would say not usually, I can't explain why I was excited about Tebow though. For me it was an example of how God can use any man in miraculous ways, and a person could argue it wasn't what it seemed. God's desire is that no one will perish, I see it as God trying to get people's attention. You have to admit, it IS unusual for something like this to happen on such a broad spectrum, maybe I'm just naive, but I really do believe God is and will continue to use this for His glory.
peace -

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
To be honest, the first time I ever heard about Tim Tebow was when I heard someone complain about him.
Their complaint is simply that he is overt in his Christianity and that offends them.

The childish end zone dances and trash talking didn't bother them in the least. His fath, however, put these people over the top.

Tebow has said flat out that God doesn't care about football or who wins and loses the game.
He said he simply is acknowledging that all good that happens to him comes from God and when difficulties come, God is still in control.

For some reason, that sets people off.
He hasn't tooted his own horn through multiple interviews and self promotion and he is even declining to endorse a Presidential candidate when asked.

So far this season he has had both deep valleys and high highs. Fickle fans and critiques have changed opinions, but he has remained the same.

He has shown tremendous maturity for a man in only his second year in the NFL, under a spotlight that most players don't face, for reasons most players don't face.

I think the Broncos are going to lose HUGE to New England but you never know. They were picked to lose big time to Pittsburgh, as well.

Whatever happens, I think the man has shown himself to be genuine. Cut him some slack.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To be honest, the first time I ever heard about Tim Tebow was when I heard someone complain about him.
Their complaint is simply that he is overt in his Christianity and that offends them.

The childish end zone dances and trash talking didn't bother them in the least. His fath, however, put these people over the top.

Tebow has said flat out that God doesn't care about football or who wins and loses the game.
He said he simply is acknowledging that all good that happens to him comes from God and when difficulties come, God is still in control.

For some reason, that sets people off.
He hasn't tooted his own horn through multiple interviews and self promotion and he is even declining to endorse a Presidential candidate when asked.

So far this season he has had both deep valleys and high highs. Fickle fans and critiques have changed opinions, but he has remained the same.

He has shown tremendous maturity for a man in only his second year in the NFL, under a spotlight that most players don't face, for reasons most players don't face.

I think the Broncos are going to lose HUGE to New England but you never know. They were picked to lose big time to Pittsburgh, as well.

Whatever happens, I think the man has shown himself to be genuine. Cut him some slack.

I agree.

tomwebster

Dec 11, 2006
...The sad part in cases like these, when someone that's highly visible in sports, media, or politics gets saved and professes Christ, the mega churches usually make them part of their leadership even though they are immature spiritually and exploit them, but I guess when compared to many of these mega church pastors they're not any less mature.

You must be able to give us some examples of this happening jig. Name a few "highly visible in sports, media, or politics" that have been given leadership positions in mega churches. And which mega church pastors are you referring to?

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He is a sweet young man like any in the churches I go to greeting
me or singing in the band.
Sweet guy.
Nothing more, nothing less.
Like me or maybe any of you - saying grace at a restaurant.
I see no 'big deal' in any way.

It is the secular folks I think are odd when they don't
thank God as they except an Oscar, for example.

Tim Tebow is the norm in my world.
I'm in Colorado, btw. And just found out
the Broncos are a football team -that is how much I'm
into sports...kidding, but close.
:)

Hollyrock

Nov 17, 2011
USA
Hi Aspen, this is a topic that I am totally unfamiliar with, but I would suppose that any form of display of the Gospel is a good thing because it can plant seeds of faith in those watching. And we should love people based on God's love and not on what the person does or does'nt do. So, God Bless Tebow because many Christian's do nothing at all.

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
On Jan. 8, 2012, three years to the date that he caused millions of football fans to Google the meaning of John 3:16, Tebow played his first NFL playoff game, against the Pittsburgh Steelers. And … Tebow threw for 316 yards.

Tebow averaged 31.6 yards per completion, the highest single-game postseason completion average in NFL history.

Ben Roethlisberger's second-quarter interception, which led to a Matt Prater field goal and a 17-6 Broncos lead, came on third-and-16.

The Steelers finished the game with a time of possession of 31:06.

And at the time Tebow threw the game-winning 80-yard touchdown pass to Demaryius Thomas -- the NFL's longest postseason pass in overtime history -- CBS's final quarter-hour overnight ratings were, yes, a 31.6.

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You have to chuckle. ;)

I don't think God came up with 3:16, but if it's getting people interested in the gospel (which has happened with Tebow and John 3:16 before), then it cannot be all bad.