Do You Pray And Sing In Tongues ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
I am with Paul the Apostle on this one:

"But in the church I would rather speak five intelligible words to instruct others than ten thousand words in a tongue." (1 Cor 14:19)

You can babble all you want and feel good about it, that's fine with me. I, personally, would much rather receive the intelligible words than the baby talk.

Lively Stone

Jan 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada

"But in the church I would rather speak five intelligible words to instruct others than ten thousand words in a tongue." (1 Cor 14:19)

You can babble all you want and feel good about it, that's fine with me. I, personally, would much rather receive the intelligible words than the baby talk.

Paul was teaching the church about order in using these gifts in the congregation. Calling tongues babble is a condescension against the Holy Spirit, and you can exercise that freedom to step on His toes if you want. As for me, I follow after Paul in speakng tongues privately any time I wish and all day to myself if I am so inclined, which is how he exercised his prayer language. This gift is not for the assembly, but for our personal time with God.

Reactions: Miss Hepburn

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
Everytime Paul was speaking to the Corinthians about tongues he was correcting them, never complimenting them. Seems a bad lot to admire when they did nothing but get it wrong.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My goodness... I would rather sit in a lively Pentecostal service then be board out of my mind in a protestant service any day of the week!

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Holy Spirit is the difference! When I got filled with the Holy Spirit it made a difference in my heart!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am not charismatic, but I know Christians who are and they simply worship God differently.....not sure what the big deal is.

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010

-- biggandyy, you should read the scripture you posted again. Then perhaps you would realize the specific scenerio for which Paul was speaking.

You also missed the verse that comes just before the one you posted: "I thank God that I speak in tongues more than all of you." (1 Cor. 14:18)

You should be wondering why one of the most inspired Christians of all time would do that if it was a waste of time?

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
Again, he is correcting them. He is claiming he has those gifts and is disappointed in their abuse is them. The more perfect has come, the completed scripture. Tongues as a Spiritual Gift is ceased, and thankfully so.

(null)

Lively Stone

Jan 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Not one spiritual gift has ceased, as they are given for the building up of the Church. Until the Church, the Bride, has been completed, made perfect with the coming of Christ, we are in need of every single one.

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
How do you know what I know? Do you simply assume I am less knowledgable than you that since I disagree with you? That is the definition of arrogance.

Andy yes, Stoney, I am fearful. Fearful that those who have drunk the Pentecostal koolaid are in danger of deluding not only themselves but taking many along with them for the ride into error and confusion.

Phillip

Jan 2, 2012
When you say you WILL NOT do something, you effectively shut out the Lord's desire to fill you to overflowing with His Spirit. It is His will, not our own we need to seek. You can be sure when you say you will not do something, you will not. As for those who do speak in tongues, including myself, we have made ourselves available to Him for His use, including our voices, which He uses to magnify Himself and to edify us, His precious ones...as well as to confound the enemy, praise God!

I am filled with the Spirit of the Living God. I usher Christ into me, this cleansed Temple body of His, every moment of every day.

And I come behind in no spiritual gift that He is freely given me.

Being used by God is evident if you speak the Word and I can understand it. If you think that glossalia is something from God that he "uses" you for (lol! what?) then you are operating in darkness and confusion, with non-sense and babbling as your guide. It is so obvious lol. Wow. What a scam.

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
Three have ceased.

None have ceased.

Alive and well today. Have been present and seen them for myself many times.

Why is it that those that obviously know the least about it feel they can speak with the most authority on it?

Lively Stone

Jan 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
How do you know what I know? Do you simply assume I am less knowledgable than you that since I disagree with you? That is the definition of arrogance.

Andy yes, Stoney, I am fearful. Fearful that those who have drunk the Pentecostal koolaid are in danger of deluding not only themselves but taking many along with them for the ride into error and confusion.

It is fear and a lack of knowledge that prompts people to speak out against something they don't understand. You need not fear something you do not understand completely.

I went many years without the blessing of the gift of tongues and the Baptism of the Holy Spirit, and still I refused to speak against those who manifested this and other gifts. I was a bit afraid of this gift, too, but I was aware I needed to learn more, and I also knew I needed not to fear, for everything God would have to show me would be good. So, I set my mind toward learning and seeking the truth. After a few years, I discovered that the gift of prayer tongues is available for everyone if they would merely submit to the move of the Holy Spirit.

I am filled with the Spirit of the Living God. I usher Christ into me, this cleansed Temple body of His, every moment of every day.

And I come behind in no spiritual gift that He is freely given me.

Being used by God is evident if you speak the Word and I can understand it. If you think that glossalia is something from God that he "uses" you for (lol! what?) then you are operating in darkness and confusion, with non-sense and babbling as your guide. It is so obvious lol. Wow. What a scam.

That is simply a vicious mindset against something holy that God desires and provides for the edification of His children. The Spirit of God in me is grieved at your choice of words. Why would you 'lol' at people who are so blessed by God in this way? Why do you mock His people and in turn mock HIm? Where is love in that?

Status
Not open for further replies.