Do you pray in the spirit?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do you pray in the spirit?

• Yes I do

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • No I dont.

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
if the Lord wanted me to stop sinning, i would stop sinning, simple as that?

well ty ladies, it is interesting to get a perspective of "tongues" that is not coming from a judge for a change, even if i do not seem to have the gift, and suspect that most of it is counterfeit. Fwiw imo Stranger does make a good point, not sure praying in the spirit must = praying in tongues?

Reactions: Ally.s.j

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I said that already only God and Holy Ghost understand whats being said for my edification. I see the end result if I persevere.
I had it last night We groan at our sin and Holy Ghost groans for us. I thought on my past years and what a poor selfish husband I was. My wife heard it. As I was processing what just happened. Holy Ghost revealed it to me what just happened. I was groaning in regret at my past. its at that point Holy Ghost makes things happen. He speak on your behalf revealing to you in your spirit and as regrete hits you You start groaning. All I can tell you is what is happening to me.

All I can say is you clearly do not see that passage as I do. It doesn't matter. I'm happy with the way things are.

Ally.s.j

Nov 12, 2017
Manchester
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
So unless I speak in tongues, everything regarding my spiritual life is fake?
default_ohmy.png
I know that's not what you meant but that's what it says. And no I'm not offended. I know where you're coming from.

I am totally content with what I have. Both physically and spiritually. To ask for more would simply be greed on my part. The Lord has given me everything I've ask for. He doesn't always give me what I want, but He does see to it that I get what I need.

If the Lord wanted me speaking in tongues, I would be speaking in tongues. It's as simple as that.

See this is how talks turn to debates, and then go on to fights.
Why would you say every thing is fake. I never said that. And talk like that is detrimental to any discussion.

If the lord wanted us saved we would all be saved according to your thinking.
If you are totally content you would not be interested in tounges at all.

To not ask for more is to refuse even better that was bought and paid for for you. But as I said already there is no condemnation. Its up to you.
You clearly said you do not want tounges. well you dont have them. But its what you want. Not what God wants. So its entirly selfish of you to refuse. But there is still no condemnation. Its just to your detriment if you refuse. I hear people say I am satisfied and dont know what it is. Not saying thats you. But you will know them by there fruits. Were all shop window and so easy to see where people are. You cant make it up or hide it. I see a lot of thing but have no desire or call to expose them. I used to.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Lord has given me everything I've ask for. He doesn't always give me what I want, but He does see to it that I get what I need.

A good example of intercession on our behalf for what we need that goes beyond our own understanding and desires.

Reactions: amadeus and Job

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why would you say every thing is fake. I never said that. And talk like that is detrimental to any discussion.

This is what's detrimental to the conversation:

To not ask for more is to refuse even better that was bought and paid for for you.
But its what you want. Not what God wants.
So its entirly selfish of you to refuse.
Its just to your detriment if you refuse.
I hear people say I am satisfied and dont know what it is.
But you will know them by there fruits.
Were all shop window and so easy to see where people are.
You cant make it up or hide it.
I see a lot of thing but have no desire or call to expose them.

This is what destroys a discussion. You, thinking you know me.

I've been on this journey almost as long as you've been alive and you're gonna sit there and tell me I'm lacking. If you're going to throw stones, you should at least know who you're throwing at.

default_sad030.gif

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands

To not ask for more is to refuse even better that was bought and paid for for you. But as I said already there is no condemnation. Its up to you.
You clearly said you do not want tounges. well you dont have them. But its what you want. Not what God wants. So its entirly selfish of you to refuse. But there is still no condemnation. Its just to your detriment if you refuse. I hear people say I am satisfied and dont know what it is. Not saying thats you. But you will know them by there fruits. Were all shop window and so easy to see where people are. You cant make it up or hide it. I see a lot of thing but have no desire or call to expose them. I used to.
nothing is hidden that will not become known, yes

Reactions: Ally.s.j

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
nothing is hidden that will not become known, yes
Is that the truth? Cuz I misplaced a bank bag with bundles of $$...thousands.
Went to the dumpster I share with my gay neighbor to look again...it just got picked up by the truck.
It has to be in the house...I was moving it cuz of the Cal fires....for a quick exit...I'm not in Calif.
So far all my spiritual practice is paying off..cuz for 2 days I'm ok.
Faith, trust, knowing nothing here matters anyway is paying off!
Now if I could only grow new brain cells from my yrs of partying...

Reactions: bbyrd009

tabletalk

Feb 6, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was quite sure I said I dont want to debate. I have been asked some questions and wanted to comunicate with out any debates. If you dont agree I dont mind. I never spoke to you how do you know what I sound like :)

I'm sorry. I see now where you said no debate.

Ally.s.j

Nov 12, 2017
Manchester
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
This is what's detrimental to the conversation:

Once again you are telling me what I said and I never that is what is detrimental to any conversation. I never said you lack. You said that.

I've been on this journey almost as long as you've been alive and you're gonna sit there and tell me I'm lacking. If you're going to throw stones, you should at least know who you're throwing at.

I dont know you never claimed to know. You said that I think I know you, not me. I dont know you at all.
I never said you lack anything. You accused me of it. This is why I dont want to talk about what I believe in public. You are now accuseing me falsly. I cant see what you are offended at. You said you where compeletly happy. I said we shall know by there fruits and your fruits is falling out the basket. And from here it looks brusied. Your happiness looks shallow man. Think were done.

Ally.s.j

Nov 12, 2017
Manchester
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Is that the truth? Cuz I misplaced a bank bag with bundles of $$...thousands.
Went to the dumpster I share with my gay neighbor to look again...it just got picked up by the truck.
It has to be in the house...I was moving it cuz of the Cal fires....for a quick exit...I'm not in Calif.
So far all my spiritual practice is paying off..cuz for 2 days I'm ok.
Faith, trust, knowing nothing here matters anyway is paying off!
Now if I could only grow new brain cells from my yrs of partying...
Your brain cells are renewing everyday. Like God mercies are new every day. Look up Caroline leaf switch on your brain.

Reactions: Miss Hepburn

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I dont know you never claimed to know. You said that I think I know you, not me. I dont know you at all.
I never said you lack anything. You accused me of it. This is why I dont want to talk about what I believe in public. You are now accuseing me falsly. I cant see what you are offended at. You said you where compeletly happy. I said we shall know by there fruits and your fruits is falling out the basket. And from here it looks brusied. Your happiness looks shallow man. Think were done.

Whatever dude. Go watch your videos.

Armadillo

Aug 11, 2017
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
My discussions and prayers with God are private. I don't see where a special language would add anything to the interaction. After all, He knows what's on my mind before I even bring it forward.

Does the Holy Spirit have His own mind?

Romans 8:27, And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for God’s people in accordance with the will of God.

You have your mind, the Holy Spirit has His mind and God searches your heart to find the mind of the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit lives in your heart, not in your mind. Who finds God's will? You, or the Holy Spirit?

Romans 8:26, In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans.

The Holy Spirit listens to you speak all the time, when does He get to speak? You can get stronger when you are at your weakest by praying in tongues, God's Word says so.

1 Corinthians 14:18, I thank God that I speak in tongues more than all of you.

The Apostle Paul is happy about speaking in tongues, so will you be, if you want to. The Holy Spirit will never make you do something you don't want to do and there is no condemnation for you if you don't want to do it.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

If "praying in the Spirit" is always praying in tongues, then what is "walking in the Spirit"?

Something is upside down here. I ask you what are we to overcome? In the wilderness Jesus was tempted by the enemy with things already in Christ's possession considering He is King. Yet He didn't shout "I Am King!" He didn't "name it and claim it" instead He showed restraint and patience. The enemy tempted with appetite. The enemy tempted with power and kingdoms. Jesus refused the temporal in hope and sight of something better. The enemies lure held no power over Jesus; instead Jesus Christ went to the cross. We are tempted in the same manner. Do we want it now...what the flesh desires...or do we wait and hope for something better. Heavenly riches instead of earthly riches.

Proverbs 14:32 KJV
[32] The wicked is driven away in his wickedness: but the righteous hath hope in his death.

Outward appearances fail. Money fails.
Fame fails. This "name it and claim it" is what causes me to doubt something that is real: speaking in tongues. It is lumped in with prosperity, instantaneous healings, power, possessing earthly kingdoms in excess. If we are influenced into something by those around us, then what is its origin? To be honest: I find it terrifying to be in a congregation where the whole is "praying in tongues". The sound is frighteningly similar to that of a rital that takes place in a dark basement.

Overcoming the world is when the world loses all its appeal in sight of God. Consider Christ's lesson in overcoming.

Luke 12:34 KJV
[34] For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

This is not our home.

1 John 5:4-5 KJV
[4] For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith. [5] Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?

Hebrews 11:24-26 KJV
[24] By faith Moses, when he was come to years, refused to be called the son of Pharaoh's daughter; [25] Choosing rather to suffer affliction with the people of God, than to enjoy the pleasures of sin for a season; [26] Esteeming the reproach of Christ greater riches than the treasures in Egypt: for he had respect unto the recompence of the reward.

Isaiah 30:26 KJV
[26] Moreover the light of the moon shall be as the light of the sun, and the light of the sun shall be sevenfold, as the light of seven days, in the day that the Lord bindeth up the breach of his people, and healeth the stroke of their wound.

Reactions: Job

Ally.s.j

Nov 12, 2017
Manchester
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Whatever dude. Go watch your videos.
See now you all hurt. And you all very content is in the gutter. You exposed your fruit in a very short time. I just cant see whay you got hurt so fast. I have no idea what I said that upset you so easily. Your contentment was ideed very very shallow. There expoosing why you need to be praying in tounges as you sir are in need of edification although I knew that before you came in to the discussion.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
If God wanted me to have this gift, He wouldn't have me watch a video or read someone's book.

Believing that Spiritual gifts of God can be had by simply watching a video is believing that man is able to override the will of God. That isn't possible. The only one who is able to plant these seeds of deception is the father of lies. If you're speaking in "tongues" because of what you learned from a video, one has to wonder what it is you're actually saying and to whom.

I don't want to sound judgmental here, but the spirits are nothing to toy with. God is not going to go through man to impart His gifts.

That's just what I believe...

Excellent...glad that someone said it!! Well said...and very true.

Reactions: Job

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Walking in the spirit is doing the works of Christ.

Sorry disagree 100%
Walking in the Spirit can only be done in and through the Holy Spirit...which also means by hearing from the Spirit. As God leads and guides.

I agree with @Stranger ...we can pray in the Spirit with or without the use of tongues. "In the Spirit" also means by hearing, not just tongues.
This is what I believe and what my experience is.
We can also "speak in The Spirit"...either when preaching or counselling...we find we are speaking right to a situation or maybe a person...not from our own wisdom, but His wisdom flowing through our mouth.
In Ref to OP. I have been in many a prayer meeting when I have groaned inwardly and muttered- " Dear Lord make them shut up" ...many people like the sound of their own voices, and do not have a clue how to pray with one ear tuned to what God's Spirit is praying through us.....Those are the prayers that get answered.

Not saying that God does not answer our carnal "panic-prayers"....just saying that there is a world of difference here.

My two cents....Helen

Last edited:
Reactions: amadeus and Job

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
See now you all hurt. And you all very content is in the gutter. You exposed your fruit in a very short time. I just cant see whay you got hurt so fast. I have no idea what I said that upset you so easily. Your contentment was ideed very very shallow. There expoosing why you need to be praying in tounges as you sir are in need of edification although I knew that before you came in to the discussion.

I'm glad you noticed.
default_thumbsup.gif

Now if you don't mind, I need to get back to my shallow contentment...
default_rolleyes.gif

default_025.gif

Reactions: Helen

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Does the Holy Spirit have His own mind?

Romans 8:27, And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for God’s people in accordance with the will of God.

You have your mind, the Holy Spirit has His mind and God searches your heart to find the mind of the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit lives in your heart, not in your mind. Who finds God's will? You, or the Holy Spirit?

Romans 8:26, In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans.

The Holy Spirit listens to you speak all the time, when does He get to speak? You can get stronger when you are at your weakest by praying in tongues, God's Word says so.

1 Corinthians 14:18, I thank God that I speak in tongues more than all of you.

The Apostle Paul is happy about speaking in tongues, so will you be, if you want to. The Holy Spirit will never make you do something you don't want to do and there is no condemnation for you if you don't want to do it.

I guess you missed this...

This already takes place without the need for the individual to pray in tongues.

Romans 8
26 Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.
27 Now He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He makes intercession for the saints according to the will of God.