Do you pray in the spirit?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do you pray in the spirit?

• Yes I do

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • No I dont.

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
How do you know you praying in the spirit? Do you have any scriptures?

I find that a very strange question for some who says that they pray in the Spirit!

If you do not know, then no one can tell you.

It is a Spirit to spirit,in union, flowing as one...."deep calleth unto deep"

I already said how I see it all...#58 By HEARING by the Spirit...
We hear within our inner man..deep within..."MY sheep know My voice."

Reactions: amadeus

EndTimeWine

Nov 5, 2017
Albany
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is a "true" Christian?

I do not accept the "trinity". One of "the basic tenets of the faith". Am I now not a "true" Christian?

I am sure there is much you would find by which you would also make the same said "judgment(s)" of myself.

"Judgment" is all too easy.

Now, show me how you do "mercy" and walk humbly with your "God".

Mic 6:8 He hath showed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth YHVH require of thee, but to do justly, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with thy God?

Ecc 12:13 This is the end of the matter; all hath been heard: fear God, and keep his commandments; for this is the whole duty of man. 14 For God will bring every work into judgment, with every hidden thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Based on what do you not believe in the Trinity?

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In my opinion Christians that have not received the baptism in the Holy Spirit with accompanying sign of tongues have spent too much time listening to others and not enough seeking God. Many are afraid to be alone with God. Many denominational preachers speak against God's gift not realizing they are teaching error. Too many books, videos are worthless. Seek God. I received easily because I knew NOTHING. I just asked and He freely gave.

Denominational seminarys teach that God no longer gives these things and say in effect God has changed.

John Wesley tried to be holy by works. Nothing happened but drought. He threw himself on his bed saying " Lord I thirst"! That's all it took.

Get thirsty enough and seek His face for REAL. Not some formula. He awaits you friends! Go to Him now!

Job 29:21-23 KJVS
Unto me men gave ear, and waited, and kept silence at my counsel. [22] After my words they spake not again; and my speech dropped upon them. [23] And they waited for me as for the rain; and they opened their mouth wide as for the latter rain.

Ally.s.j

Nov 12, 2017
Manchester
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I find that a very strange question for some who says that they pray in the Spirit!

If you do not know, then no one can tell you.

It is a Spirit to spirit,in union, flowing as one...."deep calleth unto deep"

I already said how I see it all...#58 By HEARING by the Spirit...
We hear within our inner man..deep within..."MY sheep know My voice."
Sorry I ment in English Is that what you were saying?

Ally.s.j

Nov 12, 2017
Manchester
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I have the Father's love for me I for Him. Need no more than that. That is Word Bond! For love is the tenet of all scripture.
Thats tell us nothing . I asked for scriptures you gave none. I need to know what you are talking about. Would be good if you could prove what you mean. You said you dont pray in tounges but you pray in the spirit? Make no sence. Please explian further. Or you just adding confusion. And its you who is babbling. Sorry but you need to back up what your claiming.

Ally.s.j

Nov 12, 2017
Manchester
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Right on it Frank Le.

If I was in your country I would want to spend time with you. Its so easy to see the genuine by there fruit. The rest are not ungenuine. I dont see them like that. But the have not recived the baptism of the Holy Ghost and clearly not with tounges. But that qualifies them as teachers and they sit in defiance of the scripture warning not many should be teachers. But there they are and teaching.

Reactions: Miss Hepburn

EndTimeWine

Nov 5, 2017
Albany
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thats tell us nothing . I asked for scriptures you gave none. I need to know what you are talking about. Would be good if you could prove what you mean. You said you dont pray in tounges but you pray in the spirit? Make no sence. Please explian further. Or you just adding confusion. And its you who is babbling. Sorry but you need to back up what your claiming.

All you have as proof is your word. And obviously the scripture speaks of the spiritual gift of tongues. I believe in this gift, because I believe the Word! What proof do you have that I should believe you speak in tongues? I have not heard you? So, then since tongues should edify the church and church is in session what edifying messages have you? No one here has heard you speak in tongues or knows the interpretation thereof, so why do I need to believe you?
Prophecy and Tongues
…11If, then, I do not know the meaning of someone’s language, I am a foreigner to the speaker, and he is a foreigner to me. 12It is the same with you. Since you are eager to have spiritual gifts, strive to excel in gifts that build up the church. 13Therefore, the one who speaks in a tongue should pray that he may interpret.…
1 Corinthians 12-14English Standard Version (ESV)
Spiritual Gifts
12 Now concerninga]">[a] spiritual gifts,b]">[b] brothers,c]">[c] I do not want you to be uninformed. 2 You know that when you were pagans you were led astray to mute idols, however you were led. 3 Therefore I want you to understand that no one speaking in the Spirit of God ever says “Jesus is accursed!” and no one can say “Jesus is Lord” except in the Holy Spirit.

4 Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit; 5 and there are varieties of service, but the same Lord; 6 and there are varieties of activities, but it is the same God who empowers them all in everyone. 7 To each is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good. 8 For to one is given through the Spirit the utterance of wisdom, and to another the utterance of knowledge according to the same Spirit, 9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by the one Spirit, 10 to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another the ability to distinguish between spirits, to another various kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues. 11 All these are empowered by one and the same Spirit, who apportions to each one individually as he wills.

So it is not in dispute that I believe in the gift of tongues, the dispute is if I believe you you have it. So prove it!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In my opinion Christians that have not received the baptism in the Holy Spirit with accompanying sign of tongues have spent too much time listening to others and not enough seeking God. Many are afraid to be alone with God. Many denominational preachers speak against God's gift not realizing they are teaching error. Too many books, videos are worthless. Seek God. I received easily because I knew NOTHING. I just asked and He freely gave.

Denominational seminarys teach that God no longer gives these things and say in effect God has changed.

John Wesley tried to be holy by works. Nothing happened but drought. He threw himself on his bed saying " Lord I thirst"! That's all it took.

Get thirsty enough and seek His face for REAL. Not some formula. He awaits you friends! Go to Him now!

Job 29:21-23 KJVS
Unto me men gave ear, and waited, and kept silence at my counsel. [22] After my words they spake not again; and my speech dropped upon them. [23] And they waited for me as for the rain; and they opened their mouth wide as for the latter rain.

Frank Lee, your testimonies hold spiritual power and are such a blessing. There is no doubt you have walked a path of pain and loss and time alone with God that has brought forth fruit. I am not saying you do not have this gift. I only question those that claim to love this world and speak constant vanity.

John 12:24-25
[24] Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit.

[25] He that loveth his life shall lose it; and he that hateth his life in this world shall keep it unto life eternal.

Reactions: Pisteuo

EndTimeWine

Nov 5, 2017
Albany
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thats tell us nothing . I asked for scriptures you gave none. I need to know what you are talking about. Would be good if you could prove what you mean. You said you don't pray in tounges but you pray in the spirit? Make no sence. Please explian further. Or you just adding confusion. And its you who is babbling. Sorry but you need to back up what your claiming.

I HAVE ALL OF SCRIPTURE TO SUPPORT MY CLAIM. I pray daily in the Spirit which is love. If God wants to surprise me and wow me, as He only can, He will bestow a tongue , a Spirit of communicating that glorifies Him and reveals Him as the gift giver He is. This to my wonder and amazement of Him. He alone has bragging rights. And all is love. What makes no sense , is your claim that all praying in the Spirit must be in an unknown tongue.

1Corinthians 14:13-15
Prophecy and Tongues
…13Therefore, the one who speaks in a tongue should pray that he may interpret. 14For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my mind is unfruitful. 15What then shall I do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my mind. I will sing with my spirit, but I will also sing with my mind.…

Another words, one must know what is being said, otherwise it is not fruitful. Much of what goes on today is just that, unfruitful, therefore is gibberish. Not from the Holy Spirit. Not saying people do not sincerely have this happen (gift of tongues). All prayer in love is in the Spirit, regardless of tongue spoken. All prayer in love leads to fruitful knowledge.

Last edited:

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know of someone who says he had a similar experience to yours. He said he was just sitting on his couch watching a movie, and suddenly, this intense feeling came over him that kind of made him double over and weep like a little wimp, as if he was grieving. With it came this inner peace, which is to say a far cry from what I see from many who was presumably "touched by the spirit" who role around on the floor foaming at the mouth screaming at the top of their lungs like a bunch of lunatics.
default_rofl.gif
default_rofl.gif
default_rofl.gif
default_rofl.gif

yea their touched alright but it ain't no "Holy Spirit" they're being touched by.

Reactions: bbyrd009

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It was more like grieving. as if there was a feeling for a lost loved one, kinda like when a person would weep, not as when there is sadness, hard to explain! I remember the Teaching, it has helped me understand the depth of God's covenant with Abraham. as I write about this, the grieving was about the truth, that many miss, and the loss of understanding. A blood covenant was as extreme as one could go in Ancient times. A contract between Two, ether men or king's, in this case God and Abraham. most people have no clue what took place between God and Abraham. read for yourself! Genesis Chap 15-9-18 notice only God walked through the Blood!

well you're most definitely right on the relationship between Abraham and the Lord his God. I also think that King David is a good example also. its the desire, the unction if you will, for the Spirit of God hence His Presence to be with man as God and those who love Him would have it. which is expressed through out scripture. the Lord God desires to be with His People. which is the conclusion in revelations correct?

surly one misses the company of the one he loves.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Praying in the Spirit and walking in the Spirit are exactly what it says: in the Spirit instead of the flesh. Praying in the Spirit is always, always: "thy will be done". What is God's will?

John 12:24-25 KJV
[24] Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit. [25] He that loveth his life shall lose it; and he that hateth his life in this world shall keep it unto life eternal.

The Lord's will is that you: lose your life so that you might gain life eternal. Praying in the Spirit is praying for whatever is needed to accomplish this death. Nothing in this temporal world will ever satisfy. It is a harsh truth. I used to pray for my children's and grand children's success in this world. I wanted to watch them grow and achieve their hearts desire. Now I know it is all false and will never give them what they really need: a new heart. A relationship and nearness to GOd. So I pray for God to anchor those I love here until they have an opportunity to see him. That is all that matters. That they see Him. If it takes discomfort. Loss. Struggle. whatever it takes I know He promised (as a daughter) I can ask anything in His name and HE will give it. I don't look forward to the future. I know heartache is ahead for my family but the spirit is willing.

Hebrews 10:31-32 KJV
[31] It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God. [32] But call to remembrance the former days, in which, after ye were illuminated, ye endured a great fight of afflictions;

The light comes in and you finally see this world for what it is. We have been deceived by the enemy with his claim that he can give us what only God can give.

Reactions: bbyrd009

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Sorry I meant in English Is that what you were saying?

Yes...both, in tongues and in English. Some prayers "in English" are so obviously coming out of a persons need , want, or emotions...but some prayers one can tell are pure and the Spirit praying through them.

By the way...off topic...where in UK are you?
I was born close to Uxbridge Middlesex...ended up down in a village in Sussex at age 13.. Then lived in Bexhill-on-sea after being married.
Emigrated to Western Canada when we were in our 30's.
Now....just OLD!! :D

Ally.s.j

Nov 12, 2017
Manchester
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Do you know what you say when you pray in the "spirit"? Do you have an interpreter ? So what edifying messages for the church have you received?
I aint praying for the churchs edifaication I am praying for mine. Thats what it is for. First and foremosts its about me getting built up in my most holy faith. So as I said already a few times. I dont know or care what being said. I know its for my edification. So I do what scripture tells me and I win. I cant lose. I recived no message for the church as I never prayed yet for that.

Reactions: amadeus and Helen

EndTimeWine

Nov 5, 2017
Albany
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I aint praying for the churchs edifaication I am praying for mine. Thats what it is for. First and foremosts its about me getting built up in my most holy faith. So as I said already a few times. I dont know or care what being said. I know its for my edification. So I do what scripture tells me and I win. I cant lose. I recived no message for the church as I never prayed yet for that.

Better keep it to yourself then. Because if it is for your edification and is not to edify the church as Paul says, then it is between you and God. And since you have no witness to it..... it is like when Muhammad said something happened to him and a visitor of the Lord came to him, yet he had NO witnesses. So the issue is not if I believe in tongues but is if I believe you speak in tongues privately. You have no witnesses, you say it is for your personal edification then what were you edified in? And did you understand what was said? As Paul has said it is necessary to understand with the mind or it is unfruitful.