Do You Read But Not Study The Bible?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do You Read But Not Study The Bible?

• I study the Bible.

Votes: 13 72.2%
  • I only read the Bible but do not study it.

Votes: 5 27.8%

• Total voters

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
GRACE said:
And thanks for your long list of basics, I use these Bible Study Rules, for “Simplicity In Christ.”
Love your scriptures listed in the Bible Study Rules.

I am “Core KJB(Meaning: The King James Bible is my core or base or final Word of authority). But I believe that we should be aware that the King James Bible many times uses archaic words that can be confusing sometimes to our Modern way of understanding on words. The book called: Archaic words and the Authorized Version by Laurence Vance is a good beginners guide on this topic.

Anyways, the “simplicity in Christ” (mentioned in 2 Corinthians 11:3) is being contrasted with those who preach another Jesus, and another gospel (2 Corinthians 11:4). The simplicity in Christ is being contrasted to false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves [falsely] into the apostles of Christ (2 Corinthians 11:13). I believe they are the kind of believers who justify sin and evil and they can be found in great number in popular Christianity today. They believe they can sin and still be saved all because they have a belief alone in Jesus.

2 Corinthians 11:3 says,
“as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty”

Simplicity is defined in the King James Bible Dictionary as:

freedom from duplicity; plainness. freedom from subtilty.

Source:
King James Bible Dictionary - Reference List - Simplicity

The devil employed duplicity. Duplicity is deceitfulness. Appearing to be one way as good, and yet having evil intentions. When the serpent tempted Eve in the garden, he told a truth to a certain point that would benefit him, and yet he also wrapped it up in a lie. The serpent basically told Eve a lie that she could break God’s command and not die.

So the simplicity in Christ is not referring to how we should be simple minded as we would understand that word today (like over simplifying things in life), but it would be in reference to being free from duplicity or deception or subtlety that the devil employed.

Simplicity is an archaic word in the King James Bible.
With the exception of CEV, most all the creators behind Modern Bibles have not picked up on this fact.

The Contempoary English Version best describes 2 Corinthians 11:3 in my humble opinion (using the words “honest and sincere way” as a definition for the archaic word “simplicity” in the King James Bible).

2 Corinthians 11:3 CEV says:
“But now I fear that you will be tricked, just as Eve was tricked by that lying snake. I am afraid that you might stop thinking about Christ in an honest and sincere way.”

So the CEV Translation describes best what the King James Bible is saying in this instance. Simplicity would mean honesty and or sincerity.

Last edited:
Reactions: AW Bowman

AW Bowman

Jun 7, 2022
East Texas
hatalmidim.boards.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have been considering starting a new Bible study thread. There are several such threads already, but as a rule they do not address the mechanics that goes into an in depth study. As a result, not many would actually undertake such a tedious effort for very long. As Wrangler posted, "I think translators do their best to accurately translate the Bible. Certainly they translate it better than I could. The trouble with Bible study, in my view, is that there might be the temptation to let someone else do your thinking for you. That would be a mistake, I think."

Using good translations with Spirit lead interpretation, and effective personal application of biblical precepts becomes crucial in one's spiritual maturity. Noting Hebrews 6:1-3, "Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God, Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment. And this will we do, if God permit."

Simplicity of the gospel is always the key - we cannot (dare not) complicate it.

Last edited:

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
24219_c72800b568b7dd5bb3a904746a383ed9.png

Reactions: Marvelloustime

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You can edit it if you want to AW Bowman, there is a edit tool just gotta find it.

AW Bowman

Jun 7, 2022
East Texas
hatalmidim.boards.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Brother Estey, you said, "I think translators do their best to accurately translate the Bible. Certainly they translate it better than I could. The trouble with Bible study, in my view, is that there might be the temptation to let someone else do your thinking for you. That would be a mistake, I think."

Thank you!

When approaching a serious study of the word one of the maxims is, "Your three highest priorities should be (1) the Word, (2) the Holy Spirit, and (3) YOU." We bring all of our emotional, intellectual, and spiritual biased options as filters through which we view our Bible studies. We have been influenced by what we have been taught/told by our parents, family members, friends, pastors, Bible study teachers, Sunday school, teachers, forum leaders, our own preconceived options, etc, etc. Each individual has two agendas, a public one and a hidden one (sometimes even hidden from themselves). For example: Public - I want to share my understanding of scripture to others for their edification. Private/Hidden: I am looking for agreement, recognition, influence, etc. All of these things apply to our Bible translators as well! It's a real jungle. Therefore, it is the Word, the Spirit, and you as your highest priories for study and scriptural interpretation. We have to rank the priorities of all the other opinions below the first three.

We can't fully erase all of these options when we take up our own Bible studies, they will, for the most part stay with us forever. However, if we are aware of them, and with practice, we can minimize their influence on our future studies.

Reactions: Nancy