Do You Read But Not Study The Bible?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do You Read But Not Study The Bible?

• I study the Bible.

Votes: 13 72.2%
  • I only read the Bible but do not study it.

Votes: 5 27.8%

• Total voters

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are absolutely right! Thank you. I did misunderstand your position, and now I have a better view. Again, thank you for the clarification.

Your welcome, brother.

You said:
Added note: Not even Jesus obeyed (kept, followed) all of the 613 Laws. So many just assume He did!

Indeed. Christ did not keep any laws on marriage or laws for women, or laws given to courts, or laws for the priesthood in the Torah (Because Jesus was of a different priesthood order).

I also believe….

Jesus clearly was making changes to the Law (even before the cross):
(Which means He was not teaching primarily Old Covenant, but New Covenant):

The Old Way says:

"Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth"
(Matthew 5:38 cf. Exodus 21:23-25).

The New Way (by Jesus) says:

"But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also." (Matthew 5:39).

The Old Way says:

"Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment" (Matthew 5:21 cf. Numbers 35:30-32).

"But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire." (Matthew 5:22).

The Old Way says:

"Again, ye have heard that it hath been said by them of old time, Thou shalt not forswear thyself, but shalt perform unto the Lord thine oaths:" (Matthew 5:34 cf. Numbers 30:1-2, Deuteronomy 23:21).

34 "But I say unto you, Swear not at all; neither by heaven; for it is God's throne:
35 Nor by the earth; for it is his footstool: neither by Jerusalem; for it is the city of the great King.
36 Neither shalt thou swear by thy head, because thou canst not make one hair white or black.
37 But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil." (Matthew 5:34-37).

The Old Way says:

"And of thy mercy cut off mine enemies, and destroy all them that afflict my soul: for I am thy servant." (Psalms 143:12).

"And the city shall be accursed, even it, and all that are therein, to the LORD: only Rahab the harlot shall live, she and all that are with her in the house, because she hid the messengers that we sent." (Joshua 6:17).

"And they utterly destroyed all that was in the city, both man and woman, young and old, and ox, and sheep, and ass, with the edge of the sword." (Joshua 6:21).

16 "But of the cities of these people, which the LORD thy God doth give thee for an inheritance, thou shalt save alive nothing that breatheth:
17 But thou shalt utterly destroy them; namely, the Hittites, and the Amorites, the Canaanites, and the Perizzites, the Hivites, and the Jebusites; as the LORD thy God hath commanded thee" (Deuteronomy 20:16-17).

"They did not destroy the nations, concerning whom the LORD commanded them" (Psalms 106:34).

"But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;" (Matthew 5:44).

Note: Yes, I am aware that the Old Way (Old Testament) also teaches to love one's enemies (Exodus 23:4-5) (Proverbs 25:21), but this was in context to their own Israelite people, and not pagan nations. Pagan nations were to be destroyed when God commanded the Israelites to destroy them. But Jesus taught a radically different way. Love your enemies, and do good to them that hate you, and to pray for those who persecute you.

The Old Way says:

20 "But if this thing be true, and the tokens of virginity be not found for the damsel:
21 Then they shall bring out the damsel to the door of her father's house, and the men of her city shall stone her with stones that she die: because she hath wrought folly in Israel, to play the whore in her father's house: so shalt thou put evil away from among you.
22 If a man be found lying with a woman married to an husband, then they shall both of them die, both the man that lay with the woman, and the woman: so shalt thou put away evil from Israel." (Deuteronomy 22:20-22).

4 "They say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act.
5 Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou?" (John 8:4-5).

"He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her. " (John 8:7).

Even after the cross, there were changes being made:

The Old Covenant says this about circumcision:

"And the uncircumcised man child whose flesh of his foreskin is not circumcised, that soul shall be cut off from his people; he hath broken my covenant." (Genesis 17:14).

Yet, the New Covenant says this about circumcision:

"Behold, I Paul say unto you, that if ye be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing." (Galatians 5:2).

The Old Covenant says this about the Sabbath:

32 "And while the children of Israel were in the wilderness, they found a man that gathered sticks upon the sabbath day.
33 And they that found him gathering sticks brought him unto Moses and Aaron, and unto all the congregation.
34 And they put him in ward, because it was not declared what should be done to him.
35 And the Lord said unto Moses, The man shall be surely put to death: all the congregation shall stone him with stones without the camp.
36 And all the congregation brought him without the camp, and stoned him with stones, and he died; as the Lord commanded Moses." (Numbers 15:32-36).

Yet, the New Covenant says this about the Sabbath:

"Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:" (Colossians 2:16).

So it appears things have changed.

This makes sense because again, Hebrews 7:12 says the Law has changed.

"For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law."
(Hebrews 7:12).

“For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.”
(John 1:17).

Jesus said,
"Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil." (Matthew 5:17).

AW Bowman

Jun 7, 2022
East Texas
hatalmidim.boards.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay, here we go - - -

The kinds and types of filters (biases) that we bring to our study of the Bible That need to be addressed before starting (continuing) in a Bible Study. A brief outline: Part 1 of 3

First, there is our personality type. On one hand we have the analytical type. They want to figure everything out, label it, form logical sequences, categorize it, give it structure and put it into some kind of a system, a box. On the other hand, we have those with more of an intuitive approach. It is how the scriptures “feel”, how it will impact my relationships and how I feel about myself, my life and the lives of others. Then there are the majority of us who are a chaotic mixture of these two extremes: Then there are the non-consistent ones, those who approach their Bible reading and studies driven by how they happen to “feel or think” that day.

For me, one day I may “feel” very analytical and search for the deepest meanings and nuances of a passage. On other days I am looking for a warm fuzzy that I can cuddle up with. Yet, we are all called, even commanded, to study the word for what it actually teaches and to interpret it according to God’s precepts, not according to how we might be feeling or what is on our minds that day. So, our approach to our studies is frequently haphazard in nature.

This can make the results of our studies not only inconsistent, but it opens the door wide to misinterpretation of scripture and confused application.

Second, there is our worldview (how we see) and how we interact with this world. This will dramatically color how we study the scriptures. What about the differences between the psychological makeup between men and women, and the great differences even within a single gender? Guys, are you most likely macho, a hunter, like to mix it up with the guys? Or are you more laid back in your life style. Ladies are you a stay-at-home mother, teacher and care giver of children, or are you a business woman, competing out in the world every day? Where do we each find ourselves in our dreams, aspirations, and/or find fulfillment in life? Are we slaying dragons, or painting portraits? Are we sky diving or settled in a library? Do you seek adventure or security? While men and women can be a mixture of all these kinds of attitudes, yet, to say that men and women view the world through the same glasses is a grave mistake.

Personally, our experience of the world around us will also influence our Bible studies. There are those who had the fortunate experience of being brought up in a loving, caring family, and there are those who are lucky to have survived a very violent childhood. After reaching adulthood there remains yet all kinds of wonders in life to enjoy, as well as tragedies that most of us must still deal with, in addition to responding to the high and low experiences of those close to us.

Spiritually, if I tithe in a consistent manner and receive great blessings, will I not look for the same experience for others? Will I not also search out the Bible to find a “justification” for my approach to giving? Of course, I will, you will too. Or, at the very least look for validation from a spiritual leader or someone else you trust. It really does not matter, so long as we receive positive feedback to our experience. However, does even having a majority of people around us agree with us truly constitute a biblical validation? No, unfortunately it does not. For example, at one time in our Christian history it was mandated that anyone who disagreed with the church hierarchy should be put to death, tortured, and/or banished. Not exactly a loving biblical attitude.

Then there are our independent churches and denominational created theologies and doctrines.

AW Bowman

Jun 7, 2022
East Texas
hatalmidim.boards.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The not so obvious Part 2 of 3

Third, is there is a difference in our spiritual gifting. Some are given to the church as apostles, some as evangelists, etc. Each of these called and ordained spiritual leaders also receive particular gifts that are needed in order fulfill their particular calling. Not everyone shares in one or more of these particular callings, and not everyone will have one or more of the same spiritual gifts. Then there are those gifts that are not as “up front” and “on stage”, such as the gift of helps. Some gifts will push one to the forefront of an assembly while other gifts push one into the background. How you view yourself, your calling, spiritual gifts and your role and responsibilities within the assembly will influence the way you approach your Bible studies and how you interpret what you read. An apostle will no doubt study scripture differently than a “back pew” setter.

A teacher of the word generally wants to know the “who, what, where, when, how and why” of everything, he/she is the analytical student. Then there those who find their primary purpose for study to be more along the devotional (intuitive) approach. For example, given the choice between buying two books, one on the 'Language Influence on Bible Interpretation" and one on "How To Touch God With Your Prayers", I would go for one on Bible interpretation every time – that is not necessarily so with my late wife. One approach is not necessarily better than the other, but it will help you to understand what molds your approach to Bible studies.

Yet. When it comes to the process of interpreting the Bible, it also should be consistent, i.e. the same process should be used for preparing for a personal Bible study or for addressing a minister’s conference. One needs to know and understand what is being studied – from the world view of the original author whenever possible. If not, then we are going to attempt to impose our own 21st century worldview (values, biases, desires, judgments, etc.) on the scriptures, thereby altering both the interpretation and legitimate application of scripture. Rule: The only correct interpretation any scripture is held by the original author. Unfortunately, we don’t have that author available to us, so here comes the Spirit!

Fourth, the location of your birth. We know for a fact that those born and raised in the Far East view both their culture and religious preferences very differently than those born into a Western culture. Frequently where we are born within an area of our country will have a marked impact on the kinds and types of biases we absorb, apart from the scriptures. Consider the differences between being born on a ranch in Wyoming to being born in San Francisco, the intercity of Chicago, or in even Miami, and all of the cultural, racial, ethnic, and religions views that assert their influence in any particular area. Considering all of these influences, you will develop biases that will affect your Bible studies. We carry our birth place biases with us, usually for life.

Fifth, an additional bias is gained from our family and friends. Again, for good or ill, we either pick up and embrace what we have been taught by our parents from childhood, or we reject all or some of it and go off make our own path. My mother was a, XYZ church member so I am an XYZ church member, with all of their theologies and doctrines. If we go off on our own, there are plenty of spiritual gurus and false teachers out there in the world who are more than willing to lead you into their way. These evil people will even invoke the Bible and the name of Jesus in a very religious sounding manner in order to deceive and to manipulate the untrained and non-discerning.

For good or ill, geography, time, place, language, culture/tribal, family, church and personal experiences all play a role in the biases that we bring to our Bible studies and its interpretation. Then why do we sometimes wonder why everyone else do not (apparently cannot) approach or understand the Bible the way we do? Or, for that matter, why did those old Hebrew “Christians” seem to have had such a different regard for their scriptures than we do for our own sixteenth century English translations? Answer: A very different history, language, culture, religion (and practices), customs, social norms. A first century Rabbi, in all likelihood, would not understand a lot of what a 21st century pastor teaches as “true doctrine”.

As a result of our preconditioning, we will, not might, but we will approach our Bible studies and its interpretation from the viewpoint of what “we think the Bible is suppose say” and we will interpret it according to that position.

Depending on the organization conducting the research (e.g., PEW), as of circa 2005, there are approximately 38,000 to 42,000 different protestant denominations, groups, societies, alliances, associations, etc. in the word today – and growing. These figures do not include independent churches, groups, home study meetings or individuals who have abandoned formal religious observance altogether. Each of these organizations firmly believe that they have “the truth”, or at least more of the truth than anyone else. The evidence is in the overwhelming number of the competing churches just in our own towns and cities throughout America. The lament of Paul in his letter to the church at Corinth becomes comes true, “Is Jesus divided?” Sadly, today the answer is yes. We have divided Christ up into little fragments and then recreated God in our own image.

Last edited:

AW Bowman

Jun 7, 2022
East Texas
hatalmidim.boards.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Part 3 of 3

Sixth, yet there is one more bias that plays heavily on our approach to the study and interpretation of the Bible – and that is our sin. We are very good at skipping over or through passages that highlight our personal sins. We are practiced at interpreting scripture to minimize the magnitude of our sins, and to justify them to ourselves and even to others. What we fail to recognize, in our attempt at self-justification, is that God is not fooled. The acceptance of, and submission to, homosexual leaders is just one example. This is becoming more common every year.

Conclusion.

This is the hard part.

Until we take the time to be honest with ourselves about the things we have accepted as “truth”, and actually examine what we believe and why, we will not make much headway in our studies of the Bible – to learn, know, and understand what it is that God is actually telling us, rather than what we already think God is going to tell us. Just because the pastor, professor, mother or grandfather, teacher, etc. said that this is the truth – does not make it so. It is you, the Bible, and the Holy Spirit working together, with your carefully selected guidance from mature saints of God that will result in a more honest and complete understanding of God’s word, and its instructions that God expects you to implement in your life.

Our personal filters (biases) will almost always lead us astray from the path God has assigned for us as individuals and the rest of His children to follow.

We will never identify all those pesky biases that influence us and our approach to studying the Bible, nor will we ever get rid of them. But, if we know what most of them are (at least the more important and influential ones), we can work to minimize their impact on both our studies and our life, and that will make us better disciples of Jesus Christ. Make a list.

End

Now, one does not have to go through all of the above steps every time they open the Bible! But a frequent review one their notes should be sufficient to keep the material in mind.

In my next missive on How to Effectively Study The Bible, I will break it up in more bite-sized segments for discussion.

Again, I am not looking for agreement! Rather to present some information and ideas for everyone to consider, evaluate, and judge the effectiveness (appropriateness) of exercising the information presented. Pick what is of value and discard the rest.

May God be blessed and your studies be fruitful.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Perhaps I haven't seen it in the discussion so far, but it is very important when reading the Bible to understand the context. The world in which the Scriptures were written is not the world that we live in today. For example, Paul's epistles are written to people who lived in the Mediterranean region roughly two thousand years ago in a society that is unimaginably different from the one that we live in today. And that is the new testament! The old testament was already several thousand years old by the time that Paul wrote his epistles. So -- and this is my main point -- we have to understand what the "books" of the Bible meant to the people to whom they were written.

None of us are slaves or carry swords. We don't live under the authority of pharaoh or Rome. We don't walk as our primary means of transportation. We watch television and use cell phones extensively, inventions that the people of Biblical times never even dreamed of. Etc, etc etc.

The point I am trying to make (and I don't think I'm doing a good job of it) is that we have to understand what the "books" of the Bible -- the stories and lessons -- meant to them. What was life like in Rome when Paul wrote his epistle to them? What was rural life like when Jesus roamed northern Israel? How were wars fought in the era of the ancient Hebrews? The people that heard the contents of the Bible understood what they heard in a certain context. It is extremely important that, as much as possible, we interpret the Bible as they did.

Personally, I always have some sort of explanatory notes and/or a commentary to give me that understanding. What are your thoughts?

Reactions: Bible Highlighter

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And, the laws governing children, when he left them, when He underwent His BarMitzvah. :)

I am curious. If you don’t mind: Where is this in Scripture?
Please give me the OT and NT references. Thanks.

Last edited:

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Perhaps I haven't seen it in the discussion so far, but it is very important when reading the Bible to understand the context. The world in which the Scriptures were written is not the world that we live in today. For example, Paul's epistles are written to people who lived in the Mediterranean region roughly two thousand years ago in a society that is unimaginably different from the one that we live in today. And that is the new testament! The old testament was already several thousand years old by the time that Paul wrote his epistles. So -- and this is my main point -- we have to understand what the "books" of the Bible meant to the people to whom they were written.

None of us are slaves or carry swords. We don't live under the authority of pharaoh or Rome. We don't walk as our primary means of transportation. We watch television and use cell phones extensively, inventions that the people of Biblical times never even dreamed of. Etc, etc etc.

The point I am trying to make (and I don't think I'm doing a good job of it) is that we have to understand what the "books" of the Bible -- the stories and lessons -- meant to them. What was life like in Rome when Paul wrote his epistle to them? What was rural life like when Jesus roamed northern Israel? How were wars fought in the era of the ancient Hebrews? The people that heard the contents of the Bible understood what they heard in a certain context. It is extremely important that, as much as possible, we interpret the Bible as they did.

Personally, I always have some sort of explanatory notes and/or a commentary to give me that understanding. What are your thoughts?

I totally agree. Well said. Getting into the mind of the apostles as much as we can is the best route. Looking at the context is always key, as well. I remember one time whereby my own bias on understanding the Old Covenant was undone by a fellow Christian online a few months ago. I thought the first covenant was the whole of the Old Testament, but he was trying to tell me that the 1st covenant mentioned in Hebrews was the covenant God made with Moses and Israel. At first, I bucked like a horse. It went against everything I knew about what sounded logical. My Bible said, Old Testament starting with Genesis. So I always thought the first covenant mentioned in Hebrews started in Genesis. But he kept showing me the verses and I was able to then see that the 1st covenant (See: Hebrews 9:1) was indeed the covenant made with Moses and the Israelites.

Today. God has brought to my heart the importance of what James said. Be ye doers of the Word and not hearers only deceiving your own selves is also an important reminder for us as believers. We need to be more doers of the Word these days; Especially in these dark last days. It’s easy to fall into just wanting to study all the time and not take the time to do the other important things of God that He desires of us. In other words, if we are not practicing more what we preach, I believe this will also hinder our understanding of His Word, as well. Sometimes it may seem like where do we start or how do we even do what the Lord is asking of us? But if we pray and take what actions we can do, I believe God will help us. Nothing is impossible for GOD. That’s the amazing GOD we serve. He is ever loving and good to us in so many ways.

Last edited:
Reactions: AW Bowman and Jim B

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I totally agree. Well said. Getting into the mind of the apostles as much as we can is the best route. Looking at the context is always key, as well. I remember one time whereby my own bias on understanding the Old Covenant was undone by a fellow Christian online a few months ago. I thought the first covenant was the whole of the Old Testament, but he was trying to tell me that the 1st covenant mentioned in Hebrews was the covenant God made with Moses and Israel. At first, I bucked like a horse. It went against everything I knew about what sounded logical. My Bible said, Old Testament starting with Genesis. So I always thought the first covenant mentioned in Hebrews started in Genesis. But he kept showing me the verses and I was able to then see that the 1st covenant (See: Hebrews 9:1) was indeed the covenant made with Moses and the Israelites.

Today. God has brought to my heart the importance of what James said. Be ye doers of the Word and not hearers only deceiving your own selves is also an important reminder for us as believers. We need to be more doers of the Word these days; Especially in these dark last days. It’s easy to fall into just wanting to study all the time and not take the time to do the other important things of God that He desires of us. In other words, if we are not practicing more what we preach, I believe this will also hinder our understanding of His Word, as well. Sometimes it may seem like where do we start or how do we even do what the Lord is asking of us? But if we pray and take what actions we can do, I believe God will help us. Nothing is impossible for GOD. That’s the amazing GOD we serve. He is ever loving and good to us in so many ways.

Great post!

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yet, the New Covenant says this about the Sabbath:
"Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:" (Colossians 2:16).

So it appears things have changed.
It is absolutely hilarious to me that you told me TODAY that you didn't want to argue with me anymore about this topic (in a thread that was much more appropriate I might add) .... THEN you came straight over here and argued your little heart out about it.

NO, things HAVEN'T changed about ANY of the 10 Commandments. And for you to wave Col. 2:16 around all over the Forum as if it literally states "The Sabbath Commandment has been repealed!" is about as childish as one can get.

At best, one might make the case that Col. 2:16 is a reference to a more clearly stated verse somewhere in the NT that makes CLEAR the abolishment of the Sabbath. Guess what. That verse doesn't exist anywhere and I showed you multiple examples of the Sabbath being observed by everybody from Jesus to His followers immediately after His death to His Apostles many years after; all of this PRIOR to you coming here and posting this nonsense.

Your pet project "Demolish the 4th Commandment" is a failure and an embarrassment. Grow up and accept the Scripture that shows YOU ARE WRONG.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is absolutely hilarious to me that you told me TODAY that you didn't want to argue with me anymore about this topic (in a thread that was much more appropriate I might add) .... THEN you came straight over here and argued your little heart out about it.

NO, things HAVEN'T changed about ANY of the 10 Commandments. And for you to wave Col. 2:16 around all over the Forum as if it literally states "The Sabbath Commandment has been repealed!" is about as childish as one can get.

At best, one might make the case that Col. 2:16 is a reference to a more clearly stated verse somewhere in the NT that makes CLEAR the abolishment of the Sabbath. Guess what. That verse doesn't exist anywhere and I showed you multiple examples of the Sabbath being observed by everybody from Jesus to His followers immediately after His death to His Apostles many years after; all of this PRIOR to you coming here and posting this nonsense.

Your pet project "Demolish the 4th Commandment" is a failure and an embarrassment. Grow up and accept the Scripture that shows YOU ARE WRONG.

The subject came up again by coincidence with a different audience. I don’t believe I am restricted to talking about the topic again with others. I don’t believe that would be a violation of Titus 3:9.

Titus 3:9 says:
“But avoid foolish questions, and genealogies, and contentions, and strivings about the law; for they are unprofitable and vain.”

The word strivings is defined at the Oxford Dictionary as:

1. Make great efforts to achieve or attain something.
2. Struggle or fight vigorously.​

I believe Titus 3:9 is saying that we should avoid strivings (vigorously fighting) about the Law (i.e. the Old Law). I see a vigorous fighting as an endless debate that is crazy intense and passionate. I would see such a fight as me going on for days on the forum trying to passionately convince you or another involving matters of the Old Law. I do not believe I did such a thing. So we can agree to disagree.

Good day to you, and may God bless you.

Side Note:

The word “contentions” is also used in Titus 3:9, as well. “Contentions” is defined as: “a heated disagreement.” So I am going to avoid heated disagreements involving the Old Law, as well. So if I see somebody is already hot under the collar and or they are beating their chest like an ape in anger over the matter of the Old Law, I am going to avoid the discussion with them on it.

Last edited:
Reactions: AW Bowman

AW Bowman

Jun 7, 2022
East Texas
hatalmidim.boards.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am curious. If you don’t mind: Where is this in Scripture?
Please give me the OT and NT references. Thanks.

I may have egg on my face! A couple of NT references are Eph 6:1 and Col 3:20. As far as the OT goes, I thought I had one and lost it! Too many child, children, and children of Israel to count. Most, if not all, references concerning children are to "adult" children. If I cannot come up with a reference, I will have to stand corrected: no laws concerning in the OT. /sigh/
------------------------------------------------
Added Note:

Okay, I was looking for the laws concerning children in the King James version, and I don't normally do that. When I teach I use the KJV because that is the most common translation in use. My favorite study Bibles in English are the Complete Word Study Bible and the NET Bible. anyway,. When I finally discovered my error I change my research and found my answers. The first reference was in Leviticus 19:3. In the King James the instructions are, "you shall fear every man his mother, and his father .…" The keyword is "fear". There are a number of translations that use this word, and a number of translations that use acceptable alternative words such as revere, respect, or honor. These are all "correct" for translation usages.

The ESV, LXXE and JPS (2000 edition) Bibles translate "fear", H3372 יָרֵא yare'as "revere". The NET Bible translates it as "respect", most other Bibles translate it as "fear", in a awe sense. I trust the JPS Tanakh Bible translation, "revere". That was what I had in mine when I referenced the Childern's Laws.

Also, The implied instruction (Law) is for children to learn the Torah in Deu 6:7. The other implied instruction is for a child not to be stlubborn or rebellious as in Deu 21:18-22. BTW, there is no recorded instance of this instruction actually being exercised in Jewish history.

Last edited:

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Did I read the Bible or study it?
It depends how many times I searched for the original meaning of terms according to the op definition of study.
Probably not enough to say I studied it

ThePuffyBlob

Dec 16, 2019
( ^◡^)
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
people do changed
do you really need to study the bible for you to understand it when you can just ask the spirit residing in you or ask the anointed savior what does it mean
you don't need to study
just ask and it shall be given
for everyone that asked recieved unless you asked amiss

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
There are many threads that delve into what the Bible says in its original language (OT Hebrew, NT Greek). English has never been my strong suit, let alone foreign languages of any kind and this got me wondering. I rely on English translations as an English speaking person. Is it even fair to say those who reference the original languages are merely reading? I think not.

I recall in a Study Bible class the Pastor got up to get a reference on what a certain word meant in the original language. For some reason, many of the crowd bemoaned him doing this. However, I supported his efforts saying, "This is not called Bible Read but Bible Study."

My guess is very few who post in this forum would say they only read but do not study the Bible. Thoughts?

I read my bible every day but I don’t study every day. I used to belong to a weekly bible study group, but even that wasn’t delving into original languages etc.

I have done a few personal bible studies but only studied what the Lord has led me to study with the help of the Holy Spirit. And again not delving into original text.

I remember doing a study on the Holy Spirit for a couple from the Watchtower organisation who used to come. They believed the Holy Spirit was just a ‘force’ and not the third person of the Godhead and they promised to read it.

I also did one early in my walk with God concerning women’s role in the church.

And a few years ago I did one on fasting. I’ve also done others but only ever with the guidance of the Holy Spirit. Doing a bible study without the guidance of the Holy Spirit can be quite dangerous as it could lead to wrong conclusions being made.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
people do changed
do you really need to study the bible for you to understand it when you can just ask the spirit residing in you or ask the anointed savior what does it mean
you don't need to study
just ask and it shall be given
for everyone that asked recieved unless you asked amiss

I think that the Bible deserves to be read carefully. One can read a newspaper or magazine casually, but they don't contain God's word. Of course, the word "study" can mean different things to different people. I regularly consult translators' notes and commentaries but don't try to decipher the meanings of the original languages.

Reactions: ThePuffyBlob

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I may have egg on my face! A couple of NT references are Eph 6:1 and Col 3:20. As far as the OT goes, I thought I had one and lost it! Too many child, children, and children of Israel to count. Most, if not all, references concerning children are to "adult" children. If I cannot come up with a reference, I will have to stand corrected: no laws concerning in the OT. /sigh/
------------------------------------------------

I found what I was looking for. I'll post it tomorrow AM after I type it up. It's complicated. :oops:

You said: “And, the laws governing children, when he left them, when He underwent His BarMitzvah.”

I was referring to your statement of Bar Mitzvah. This is a Jewish religious ritual and family celebration commemorating the religious adulthood of a boy on his 13th birthday. Where in Scripture does it state that Jesus clearly celebrated the Bar Mitzvah? Where do you think Jesus disobeyed his parents in Scripture? As far as I can tell in reading Luke 2:41-52: Jesus was twelve years old (Luke 2:42). They had fulfilled the days of the custom of the feast of Passover in Jerusalem, and Jesus stayed behind in Jerusalem as their parents left (Luke 2:41-43). Nothing is said in the text about how Jesus disobeyed his parents instructions to stay with them. They gave Jesus no type of instruction to stay with them.

As for Ephesians 6:1, and Colossians 3:20: While I do not think Jesus disobeyed his parents (i.e. which would be these instructions), I don’t believe Jesus was obligated to obey commands given to His apostles that came later in the New Covenant after His death. Commands given to His apostles later on after His death are not the same as the ones given before the cross (Note: The death of Christ is the official beginning of the New Covenant). Also, I do not think that all commands Jesus gave to His disciples where obligations He also had to keep, as well. For Jesus is Lord.

Last edited:

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
As for Ephesians 6:1, and Colossians 3:20:

Matthew 12:46-50

46 While Jesus yet talked to the people, behold, his mother and his brothers stood without, desiring to speak with him.

47 Then one said unto him, Behold, thy mother and thy brothers stand without, desiring to speak with thee.

48 But Jesus answered and said unto him that told him, Who is my mother? and who are my brothers?

49 And Jesus stretched forth his hand toward his disciples, and said, Behold my mother and my brothers!

50 For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 12:46-50

46 While Jesus yet talked to the people, behold, his mother and his brothers stood without, desiring to speak with him.

47 Then one said unto him, Behold, thy mother and thy brothers stand without, desiring to speak with thee.

48 But Jesus answered and said unto him that told him, Who is my mother? and who are my brothers?

49 And Jesus stretched forth his hand toward his disciples, and said, Behold my mother and my brothers!

50 For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother.

Jesus was making a spiritual point. But did Jesus really refuse to speak with His mother and brothers? We get no indication in the text that Jesus refused to come out to them at a later point (or after following this statement He made) so as to hear or listen to them. Jesus was making a spiritual point that his true mother and true brothers are those who do the will of the Father (Which is something that is foreign in your belief system because last we talked you believe a Christian can sin and still be saved). It does not mean Jesus was disobeying His mother. He could have immediately came out to hear her after making this statement. But the text does not simply say. In either case, Jesus would be morally justified or righteous (Whether He heeded the call of his family or not). But we cannot assume that Jesus disobeyed his family. That would merely be an assumption that the text does not say.