Do You Read But Not Study The Bible?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do You Read But Not Study The Bible?

• I study the Bible.

Votes: 13 72.2%
  • I only read the Bible but do not study it.

Votes: 5 27.8%

• Total voters

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Jesus was making a spiritual point. .

You notice that you posted 2 versed, that i quoted as your post..
So, in the context of your verses, as "obey your parents"....

If you look at the verse i posted then this helps your point that you were making regarding Jesus, who is God, and how this did or did not obligate him to the Jewish Traditions, per say.

My verse explains that Jesus is always Spiritual, as how can God not be, even as a human...... and He's talking about those who believe in Him, strictly as= His Family.

And one more.
From the Cross, Jesus never said to Mary...>"mother."
He never called her "mother" when He was on the Cross, as He is again defining that ALL who believe in what He is about to do, are His Family.
Christ said "WOMAN", ... behold your son, and that was JOHN he was talking about, even tho Mary was Christ's birth mother.

AW Bowman

Jun 7, 2022
East Texas
hatalmidim.boards.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You said: “And, the laws governing children, when he left them, when He underwent His BarMitzvah.”

I was referring to your statement of Bar Mitzvah.

Mercy, a shot gun effect?

I was responding to your question about the Law as it applied to children in both the OT and NT, Which I did. Nothing concerning any time that Jesus failed. I am really confused here. I am being asked questions about subjects I did not make any statements about.

“I was referring to your statement of Bar Mitzvah. This is a Jewish religious ritual and family celebration commemorating the religious adulthood of a boy on his 13th birthday. Where in Scripture does it state that Jesus clearly celebrated the Bar Mitzvah?”

There is no scripture that covers His Mar Mitzvah. Such a scripture is not necessary to the time, culture, social, or religious environments.

“Where do you think Jesus disobeyed his parents in Scripture?”

I don’t. There is nothing recorded concerning any disobedience of Jesus.

“I don’t believe Jesus was obligated to obey commands given to His apostles that came later in the New Covenant after His death. Commands given to His apostles later on after His death are not the same as the ones given before the cross (Note: The death of Christ is the official beginning of the New Covenant).”

No, Jesus was no longer physically present after His ascension, just prior to Passover.

“Also, I do not think that all commands Jesus gave to His disciples where obligations He also had to keep, as well.”

Again, no. All universal commands from Jesus were for all His disciples to obey, even for us today. We are not obligated to obey His commands/instructions given to specific individuals or to groups of individuals that were given for a specific task during His earthly ministry, unless they clearly applied to all disciples.

I am not sure of the purpose for this exchange, so I remain confused.

Peace brother

Added note: Yes I did mention His Bar Mitzvah, as the turning point from being under the laws of children to the obligations under the laws of adults.

Last edited:

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You notice that you posted 2 versed, that i quoted as your post..
So, in the context of your verses, as "obey your parents"....

If you look at the verse i posted then this helps your point that you were making regarding Jesus, who is God, and how this did or did not obligate him to the Jewish Traditions, per say.

My verse explains that Jesus is always Spiritual, as how can God not be, even as a human...... and He's talking about those who believe in Him, strictly as= His Family.

And one more.
From the Cross, Jesus never said to Mary...>"mother."
He never called her "mother" when He was on the Cross, as He is again defining that ALL who believe in what He is about to do, are His Family.
Christ said "WOMAN", ... behold your son, and that was JOHN he was talking about, even tho Mary was Christ's birth mother.

Is Jesus a part of the triune Godhead?
Is the Holy Spirit is a part of the triune God?
I am assuming that you believe that this is a.. yes.

So GOD, the Holy Spirit (a part of the Triune Godhead) stated in Scripture several times that Mary is the mother of Jesus.

Keyword search on the words - “Mary & mother” at BlueLetterBible

Scripture is inspired by God (2 Timothy 3:16).
In other words, His Word is God breathed.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus was making a spiritual point. But did Jesus really refuse to speak with His mother and brothers? We get no indication in the text that Jesus refused to come out to them at a later point (or after following this statement He made) so as to hear or listen to them. Jesus was making a spiritual point that his true mother and true brothers are those who do the will of the Father (Which is something that is foreign in your belief system because last we talked you believe a Christian can sin and still be saved). It does not mean Jesus was disobeying His mother. He could have immediately came out to hear her after making this statement. But the text does not simply say. In either case, Jesus would be morally justified or righteous (Whether He heeded the call of his family or not). But we cannot assume that Jesus disobeyed his family. That would merely be an assumption that the text does not say.

theefaith has repeatedly claimed that Mary was a perpetual virgin. I have shown him that the above shows that Jesus had brothers, so Mary and Joseph must have produced children naturally. That proves the claim of "ever virgin" to be false.

That said, I think that your interpretation of the scenario is correct.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mercy, a shot gun effect?

I was responding to your question about the Law as it applied to children in both the OT and NT, Which I did. Nothing concerning any time that Jesus failed. I am really confused here. I am being asked questions about subjects I did not make any statements about.

“I was referring to your statement of Bar Mitzvah. This is a Jewish religious ritual and family celebration commemorating the religious adulthood of a boy on his 13th birthday. Where in Scripture does it state that Jesus clearly celebrated the Bar Mitzvah?”

There is no scripture that covers His Mar Mitzvah. Such a scripture is not necessary to the time, culture, social, or religious environments.

“Where do you think Jesus disobeyed his parents in Scripture?”

I don’t. There is nothing recorded concerning any disobedience of Jesus.

“I don’t believe Jesus was obligated to obey commands given to His apostles that came later in the New Covenant after His death. Commands given to His apostles later on after His death are not the same as the ones given before the cross (Note: The death of Christ is the official beginning of the New Covenant).”

No, Jesus was no longer physically present after His ascension, just prior to Passover.

“Also, I do not think that all commands Jesus gave to His disciples where obligations He also had to keep, as well.”

Again, no. All universal commands from Jesus were for all His disciples to obey, even for us today. We are not obligated to obey His commands/instructions given to specific individuals or to groups of individuals that were given for a specific task during His earthly ministry, unless they clearly applied to all disciples.

I am not sure of the purpose for this exchange, so I remain confused.

Peace brother

Added note: Yes I did mention His Bar Mitzvah, as the turning point from being under the laws of children to the obligations under the laws of adults.

First, again, I don’t see Bar Mitzvah mentioned in the New Testament, though. There is no connection to this Jewish ritual in Luke chapter 2. So I am still clueless as to why you would bring this up. It has no biblical support of it being mentioned or even being implied that it happened. So I don’t really see the reason why you mentioned this.

Second, nowhere did I say that Jesus was physically present after His Ascension. But Jesus does physically exist with His real body in Heaven, and so again He is not obligated to obey commands in Heaven that God gives to others on Earth and or especially commands that follow after His Ascension. You quoted verses that are not in the gospels (Which is after His Ascension). These commands would not really apply to Jesus because He is in Heaven, and because He is the Lord. So I don’t believe the NT Scriptural references you provided were even remotely valid obligations to Jesus. Again, I am not saying that Jesus did not obey His parents. To my knowledge, the Bible appears to be silent on the matter. But we both agree that Jesus is without sin. So that is a common ground that we can hold to whatever happened.

May the Lord’s peace be unto you, as well (my brother).

Last edited:

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
theefaith has repeatedly claimed that Mary was a perpetual virgin. I have shown him that the above shows that Jesus had brothers, so Mary and Joseph must have produced children naturally. That proves the claim of "ever virgin" to be false.

That said, I think that your interpretation of the scenario is correct.

Yes, Jesus definitely had physical brothers. So Mary did not remain as a virgin, for sure.
Sadly, Catholics like to paint a different picture than what Scripture says. This of course is due to their idolatry (unfortunately). All we can do is pray and tell them the truth of God’s Word in love.

Last edited:

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, Jesus definitely had physical brothers. So Jesus did not remain as a virgin, for sure.
Sadly, Catholics like to paint a different picture than what Scripture says. This of course is due to their idolatry (unfortunately). All we can do is pray and tell them the truth of God’s Word in love.

I think you meant Mary when you wrote "Jesus did not remain as a virgin, for sure". 8^)

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think you meant Mary when you wrote "Jesus did not remain as a virgin, for sure". 8^)

Sorry. I also have been distracted with a particular study last night and most of all day today.
In fact, I created a thread here at ChristianityBoard on it (if you are interested).

Did God commend or approve of Rahab’s lie?

Anyways, it’s not a new topic for me. I simply was going over it again (Because God was leading me to study it once more).

Hopefully this study will be a blessing to you, and or others.

Last edited:

AW Bowman

Jun 7, 2022
East Texas
hatalmidim.boards.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
First, again, I don’t see C mentioned in the New Testament, though. There is no connection to this Jewish ritual in Luke chapter 2. So I am still clueless as to why you would bring this up. It has no biblical support of it being mentioned or even being implied that it happened. So I don’t really see the reason why you mentioned this.

Second, nowhere did I say that Jesus was physically present after His Ascension. But Jesus does physically exist with His real body in Heaven, and so again He is not obligated to obey commands in Heaven that God gives to others on Earth and or especially commands that follow after His Ascension. You quoted verses that are not in the gospels (Which is after His Ascension). These commands would not really apply to Jesus because He is in Heaven, and because He is the Lord. So I don’t believe the NT Scriptural references you provided were even remotely valid obligations to Jesus. Again, I am not saying that Jesus did not obey His parents. To my knowledge, the Bible appears to be silent on the matter. But we both agree that Jesus is without sin. So that is a common ground that we can hold to whatever happened.

May the Lord’s peace be unto you, as well (my brother).

The original post was concerning Laws. You asked a question. I responded. However, you later clarified that you were questing the reference to Christ's Bar Mitzvah. We have been posting past each other - addressing two different subjects.

My statement:
Laws that Jesus did not obey ..... And, the laws governing children, when he left them, when He underwent His Bar Mitzvah .

Your question:

I am curious. If you don’t mind: Where is this in Scripture?
Please give me the OT and NT references. Thanks.

My response:

I listed several OT and NT examples of laws governing children.

I think we should simply drop this conversation. Agree?

Last edited:

AW Bowman

Jun 7, 2022
East Texas
hatalmidim.boards.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To effectively study and correctly interpret scripture here is what one needs to do:

Read the entire book to discover the (1) language style (poetry, historical, prophetic, etc.) One should never read (interpret) a book of poetry in the same way as a historical novel. (2) What is the main theme(s) and/or subject(s) that the author is presenting, and (3) how does the verse(s) of interest fit into the book's theme and the particular subject?

What is it that the original author is attempting to present, and how would the original hearers understand what is said/written? [This is to be done as well as we can, from our 21st century perspective.]

Things we need to know about the author and the book.

- The historical context of the time and place of the writing.
- The existing social and culture norms and practices.
- The religious principles and practices at the time.
- The language, as it communicates the collective worldview at that time.
- The purpose of the book, why was it written in the first place?
- What was the goal(s) the author wanted to achieve?
- How did the people react to the author’s words – where such reaction is noted?
- What is the genre of the book, historical, instructional, prophetic, poetic, etc.?
- What did the author say about the same subject you’re in the same book, and elsewhere (if he did)?
- What did other authors say about the same subject, if they did?
- Evaluate the context of the study subject within paragraph, if necessary, use the chapter, or the entire book, or the whole Bible, if required.
- Take lots of notes, depending on the depth of study you are planning to take.
- Does the study impact us today - how?

Extra biblical documents will be required to answer (address, resolve) many of the above issues. History, theology, maps, etc. One source of excellent information is to identify and research (on-line) the books that mostly the OT writers referenced, and those that the Apostles read and used in their writings, such as the book of Jasher, Nathan, Gad, Shemaiah. Eddo, Jehu, The Acts of Solomon, and the book of Enoch. The book of Enoch, is quoted by Jude in the NT.

When researching a particular subject first identify/locate everything that the author has to say about it. Search the current book and if it is included (addressed) in another work by the same author, use it too. Then search out what other authors have to say about the same subject (if any). This is very important in understanding some Old Covenant accounts where contemporary prophets discuss the same topic or event, but from a different perspective.

All relevant passages must be included and addressed in developing a doctrine (understanding, applying and/or teaching the scripture to others). If there disconnects between scriptures, they must be resolved before establishing a “sound” doctrine. Disconnects (e.g., conflicting statements, paradoxes) usually indicates one is reading from a Greek world view and not a Hebraic world view. It may require a careful examination of the original language texts.

If something is only mentioned once, do not attempt to make a full doctrine out of it, e.g., 1Cor 15:29, baptism for the dead. However, something only needs to written in the Bible one time to be important! If you can locate an authoritative extra biblical document that can help explain a biblical passage you “might” be on good ground.

Remember, while there may be a number of applications of a particular passage, there is only one “correct” interpretation, and that is how the original author intended for his words to be understood and acted upon.

-------------------------------

Okay, I think I covered the basics. We can discuss each topic one at-a-time or group some of them together.

Reactions: MatthewG

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are many threads that delve into what the Bible says in its original language (OT Hebrew, NT Greek). English has never been my strong suit, let alone foreign languages of any kind and this got me wondering. I rely on English translations as an English speaking person. Is it even fair to say those who reference the original languages are merely reading? I think not.

I recall in a Study Bible class the Pastor got up to get a reference on what a certain word meant in the original language. For some reason, many of the crowd bemoaned him doing this. However, I supported his efforts saying, "This is not called Bible Read but Bible Study."

My guess is very few who post in this forum would say they only read but do not study the Bible. Thoughts?

I guess I’m the black sheep, lol. I only read my Bible and do not study it. Sometimes I read and it’s sort of like…just reading gobbledygook or something, just words, so I put it down. Other times it’s opened to me and I can hardly put it down. But even when I can read it, I don’t study it. I just read and He opens it.

AW Bowman

Jun 7, 2022
East Texas
hatalmidim.boards.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I guess I’m the black sheep, lol. I only read my Bible and do not study it. Sometimes I read and it’s sort of like…just reading gobbledygook or something, just words, so I put it down. Other times it’s opened to me and I can hardly put it down. But even when I can read it, I don’t study it. I just read and He opens it.

That is an excellent approach to understanding the Word. Our Lord may or may not alter that method of communication with you in the future. Be content and continue reading, and allow the Spirit to illuminate your heart and understanding according to His will.

ThePuffyBlob

Dec 16, 2019
( ^◡^)
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
I think that the Bible deserves to be read carefully. One can read a newspaper or magazine casually, but they don't contain God's word. Of course, the word "study" can mean different things to different people. I regularly consult translators' notes and commentaries but don't try to decipher the meanings of the original languages.
when i read the bible i some times find something new no matter how many times i read that's why the holy bible is a mystery

just like now i really did not plan to type holy but i just did it without knowing probably God wants me say it is his words that's why it is holy

Reactions: AW Bowman

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I obey the word which tells us to study to shew thyself approved of God, a workman that needs not be ashamed rightly dividing the word of truth !FB_IMG_1655019720691.jpg FB_IMG_1655019952591.jpg

Reactions: Lambano

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
That is an excellent approach to understanding the Word. Our Lord may or may not alter that method of communication with you in the future. Be content and continue reading, and allow the Spirit to illuminate your heart and understanding according to His will.
Hi Sir; indeed John 15.26 shows how vital it is to be dependent on the Holy Spirit for understanding of Scripture.

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay, I think I covered the basics.
Precious friend, A Very Warm Welcome to the Board. And thanks for your long
list of basics. I use these Bible study Rules, for "Simplicity In Christ."

Please Be Very RICHLY Encouraged, Enlightened, Exhorted, And Edified In
The LORD JESUS CHRIST, And In His Word Of Truth, Rightly Divided!

GRACE And Peace...

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are many threads that delve into what the Bible says in its original language (OT Hebrew, NT Greek). English has never been my strong suit, let alone foreign languages of any kind and this got me wondering. I rely on English translations as an English speaking person. Is it even fair to say those who reference the original languages are merely reading? I think not.

I recall in a Study Bible class the Pastor got up to get a reference on what a certain word meant in the original language. For some reason, many of the crowd bemoaned him doing this. However, I supported his efforts saying, "This is not called Bible Read but Bible Study."

My guess is very few who post in this forum would say they only read but do not study the Bible. Thoughts?
I think translators do their best to accurately translate the Bible. Certainly they translate it better than I could. The trouble with Bible study, in my view, is that there might be the temptation to let someone else do your thinking for you. That would be a mistake, I think.