Do you really think you live up to the righteousness of Christ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

brionne

May 31, 2010
Australia
Christ fulfilled it... it is finished!!!

thats right, it was 'nailed to the torture stake' which means we are no longer bound to follow a set of laws and regulations. That set of laws and regulations were what gave the jews a righteous standing before God because by obeying them, they were living by Gods righteousness.

But Christians are still told to live by Gods righteousness through Christ. However, we are doing so 'willingly' and not because we are obligated to obey laws as the jews were.

1Peter 1:13 Hence brace up YOUR minds for activity, keep YOUR senses completely; set YOUR hope upon the undeserved kindness that is to be brought to YOU at the revelation of Jesus Christ. 14 As obedient children, quit being fashioned according to the desires YOU formerly had in YOUR ignorance, 15 but, in accord with the Holy One who called YOU, do YOU also become holy yourselves in all [YOUR] conduct, 16 because it is written: “YOU must be holy, because I am holy.”

Insight

Aug 7, 2011
Pegg, Ducky, either of you care to address John 1:29 properly without making a straw man? That is of course if your capable.

Jesus had just come from 40 days of being tempted; the ministry of John was diminishing and Jesus ministry had just begun
  • There is no male lamb offered under the law for sin offering.
  • Jesus represents a sacrificial animal as per Gen 22:7,8; Exo 12:3,21; Rev 13:8.
  • He was a body prepared for sacrifice as in Psa 40:5,6,7.
  • The Lamb is meek and easily led, depicts spirit of humility as in Isa 53:7; Act 8:32; Mat 11:29; 21:5).
  • This would reveal his character and become a title in Revelation as in Rev 14:4; 15:3; 17:14; 19:7-9; 21:9,22,23 asscociated with salvation and those who ironically would follwo a lamb?
  • Ever tried follwoing a lamb! Follow a lion is easy but let me know how hard it is to follow one who would have his blood poured out! Maybe we can have empathy for the disciples.
  • Never had a sacrifice been able to remove sin from the whole world (only those under the Mosaic Law were able to participate).
His sacrifice was one outside of the Law but he himself was born under the Law that it might be fulfilled in him and finally put away.

Insight

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
thats right, it was 'nailed to the torture stake' which means we are no longer bound to follow a set of laws and regulations. That set of laws and regulations were what gave the jews a righteous standing before God because by obeying them, they were living by Gods righteousness.

But Christians are still told to live by Gods righteousness through Christ. However, we are doing so 'willingly' and not because we are obligated to obey laws as the jews were.

1Peter 1:13 Hence brace up YOUR minds for activity, keep YOUR senses completely; set YOUR hope upon the undeserved kindness that is to be brought to YOU at the revelation of Jesus Christ. 14 As obedient children, quit being fashioned according to the desires YOU formerly had in YOUR ignorance, 15 but, in accord with the Holy One who called YOU, do YOU also become holy yourselves in all [YOUR] conduct, 16 because it is written: “YOU must be holy, because I am holy.”

Nice verse to find there, Pegg. Good post. :)

Christ calls us to be as he is. The power of the gospel is that he has indeed made a way; we can walk in the same ressurection life!

A gospel that has no power to change us in this life is indeed powerless.

brionne

May 31, 2010
Australia
We are Holy only according to His blood...

We try to please Him because we love Him because He first loved us.

Isreal were called a 'holy nation' and they did not have christs blood.

Exodus 19:, 4 ‘YOU yourselves have seen what I did to the Egyptians, that I might carry YOU on wings of eagles and bring YOU to myself. 5 And now if YOU will strictly obey my voice and will indeed keep my covenant, then YOU will certainly become my special property out of all [other] peoples, because the whole earth belongs to me. 6 And YOU yourselves will become to me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation.

Jesus blood allows us to approach God...that is what it does. Eph 2:12 that YOU were at that particular time without Christ, alienated from the state of Israel and strangers to the covenants of the promise, and YOU had no hope and were without God in the world. 13 But now in union with Christ Jesus YOU who were once far off have come to be near by the blood of the Christ
It is the means that mankind can seek Gods forgiveness and be joined to God. The rest is up to us...we must live according to Gods righteousness, his moral standards, his love, his mercy etc...that is how he judges us. He judges us on our willingness and effort to try and by like his son. What did Paul say at 1Cor 1:1 Become imitators of me, even as I am of Christ

God is judging us on our conduct... the same way he judged people before the mosaic law was introduced. he's looking for people who obey him from the heart.

Robbie

Jan 4, 2011
Huntington Beeach
They were not made righteous apart from us but they waited so we could be made righteous together and yes it's all because of Christ as the promise was to the Seed who is Christ.

Galatians 3:16
Now to Abraham and his Seed were the promises made. He does not say, “And to seeds,” as of many, but as of one, “And to your Seed,” who is Christ.

Hebrews 11:39-40

[sup]39[/sup] And all these, having obtained a good testimony through faith, did not receive the promise, [sup]40[/sup] God having provided something better for us, that they should not be made perfect apart from us.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
Jesus had just come from 40 days of being tempted; the ministry of John was diminishing and Jesus ministry had just begun
  • There is no male lamb offered under the law for sin offering.
  • Jesus represents a sacrificial animal as per Gen 22:7,8; Exo 12:3,21; Rev 13:8.
  • He was a body prepared for sacrifice as in Psa 40:5,6,7.
  • The Lamb is meek and easily led, depicts spirit of humility as in Isa 53:7; Act 8:32; Mat 11:29; 21:5).
  • This would reveal his character and become a title in Revelation as in Rev 14:4; 15:3; 17:14; 19:7-9; 21:9,22,23 asscociated with salvation and those who ironically would follwo a lamb?
  • Ever tried follwoing a lamb! Follow a lion is easy but let me know how hard it is to follow one who would have his blood poured out! Maybe we can have empathy for the disciples.
  • Never had a sacrifice been able to remove sin from the whole world (only those under the Mosaic Law were able to participate).
His sacrifice was one outside of the Law but he himself was born under the Law that it might be fulfilled in him and finally put away.

Insight
Thanks Insight, you made some good points.

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
Well, death is the number one phobia in the world. Heb 2:15 supports this truth also...but no place of burning imaginary souls.

This teaching is for mystics and soothsayers.
No need to imagine. Punishment in the fire is all through the NT.

Revelation 20:15 (NKJV)
15 And anyone not found written in the Book of Life was cast into the lake of fire.

us2are1

Son Of Man
Sep 14, 2011
No need to imagine. Punishment in the fire is all through the NT.

Revelation 20:15 (NKJV)
15 And anyone not found written in the Book of Life was cast into the lake of fire.

Punishment by fire not in the fire.

The fire consumes and punishment is complete.

Death is the wages of sin.

Separation from life for eternity only to be remembered as a foul odor in the nostrils of the righteous who will live forever..

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
Punishment by fire not in the fire.
Matthew 13:49-50 (NKJV)
49 So it will be at the end of the age. The angels will come forth, separate the wicked from among the just, 50 and cast them into the furnace of fire. There will be wailing and gnashing of teeth."
The fire consumes and punishment is complete.

Death is the wages of sin.

Separation from life for eternity only to be remembered as a foul odor in the nostrils of the righteous who will live forever..
I'm sure Hitler, Stalin, Mao, John Wayne Gacy, Dahmer, etc. wish you were right. Alas, God is not going to reward the wicked by destroying them.

Revelation 20:10 (NKJV)
10 The devil, who deceived them, was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone where the beast and the false prophet are. And they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When Paul said 'all things are lawful' he wasnt talking about immorality or murder or the like. Most of the NT is referring to mosaic laws and its regulations because the new congregations were still a little confused as to whether obedience to the mosaic law was a requirement or not. The holy spirit eventually revealed that the mosaic law was not a means of gaining Gods approval...only faith and obedience to Christ could gain a persons Gods approval.

Paul went onto say 'let no man judge you in eating or drinking or in observance of a sabbath or a festival' Basically those were regulations of the mosaic law which Paul was saying were no longer necessary to observe and therefore no one should be judging another who does or does not observe them. But some mosaic laws were carried over as binding on all christians and Paul never said they were ok.

Well, I'm a bit confused by your two statements here. Perhaps its me.... But isn't murder and immorality forbidden by the Mosiac Law? However, by your second statement, I think what you mean is only things like dietary restrictions and observances of Holy Days are no longer necessary. Everything else is still on. Am I right in what you are trying to say?

If so, you have linked a quote from 1 Cor to Col.... The topic of conversation is not the same. If that is what you are saying, I disagree with you.

of course we sin in our hearts because our heart is treacherous and tries to push us down sins path.... but it is up to us to fight it. If we are ignoring the temptations of our heart, even though they are there, then God is extremely pleased with us. But if we allow those temptations to always get us to commit wrongdoing, then we are failing ourselves and God. We must always strive to fight the imperfection within us. If we dont fight it, then there is no forgiveness for us because we are allowing sin to rule us.

But if we are fighting it, then God forgives us even though those thoughts may still be in our mind. We cant just give in to sin and then ask for forgiveness.... but in saying that, there may be times when we do give in and God will forgive us ON THE CONDITION that we are repentant over the sin we committed.

Again, I have to see question what you are getting at. Maybe I'm just not understanding. It seems you are saying one of a few different things.

1. For those who love Jesus and follow him, Christ's blood alone with our physical actions and how we conduct ourselves together will get us salvation.
2. For those who love Jesus and follow him, Christ's blood alone is enough, but our physical actions or how we conduct ourselves can overpower it and thus knock us out of salvation.
3. For those who love Jesus and follow him, Christ's blood alone is enough, but as long as we try (to some degree.... Don't know if you mean 10%, 51%, 99% or 100%) to be moral and follow all the laws (or at least the ones not pertaining to dietary and observances of Holy Days).

and of course:

4. For those who love Jesus and follow him, Christ's blood alone is enough, but if we don't try (to some degree.... or perhaps don't try hard enough) to be moral and follow all the laws, then that will overpower the blood and we won't gain salvation.

Are you saying any of these 4 circumstances are true? I want to say again that I believe in morality, I do believe homosexuality is a sin, I do believe people will go to hell unless they have Christ as an advocate, AND I believe that immorality will cause many problems in someones natural life. However, I also believe that Christ does excuse it and will not judge his followers based on their sex habits.

[Note: Italics are the words of Pegg. Sorry, had a bit of a problem with the Quote function!]

us2are1

Son Of Man
Sep 14, 2011
Matthew 13:49-50 (NKJV)
49 So it will be at the end of the age. The angels will come forth, separate the wicked from among the just, 50 and cast them into the furnace of fire. There will be wailing and gnashing of teeth."
Don't you remember what happened to the captain and fifty twice? How about the men that threw Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-Nego into the furnace? Gods fire consumes to ashes.

Here is the same incident from another scripture describing the same thing.

Ezekiel 28
18 "You defiled your sanctuaries By the multitude of your iniquities, By the iniquity of your trading; Therefore I brought fire from your midst; It devoured you, And I turned you to ashes upon the earth In the sight of all who saw you.

40 Therefore as the tares are gathered and burned in the fire, so it will be at the end of this age.
41 The Son of Man will send out His messengers, and they will gather out of His kingdom all things that offend, and those who practice lawlessness,
42 and will cast them into the furnace of fire. There will be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
Don't you remember what happened to the captain and fifty twice? How about the men that threw Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-Nego into the furnace? Gods fire consumes to ashes.

Here is the same incident from another scripture describing the same thing.

Ezekiel 28
18 "You defiled your sanctuaries By the multitude of your iniquities, By the iniquity of your trading; Therefore I brought fire from your midst; It devoured you, And I turned you to ashes upon the earth In the sight of all who saw you.

40 Therefore as the tares are gathered and burned in the fire, so it will be at the end of this age.
41 The Son of Man will send out His messengers, and they will gather out of His kingdom all things that offend, and those who practice lawlessness,
42 and will cast them into the furnace of fire. There will be wailing and gnashing of teeth.
If you want to assure the wicked that they won't spend eternity in the fire that's up to you. But I don't want to be held accountable for doing that. Everlasting, eternal, unquenchable fire, ...