do you think Christmas was better in the 70's & 80's?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

shortangel

Aug 23, 2020
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
this question was asked on another forum, but does everyone think that Christmas was better in the 70's & 80's then it is now? it seems to me that stores said Merry Christmas alot more in their ads on T.V., you hardly ever see that now, everybody seemed to be in the Christmas mood alot more back then then they do now, what does everyone think? what memories does everyone have of Christmas in the 70's & 80's?

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Christmas was great when I was a child; it was good when my children were little and when the grandchildren came along. Now it's not so good in some ways but much better in a spiritual way. I think it is better not to have expectations that are too high. It's just another day, one out of 365, and things may go wrong and not be perfect. Don't aim for perfection but just enjoy it as it comes. The best Christmases my youngest remembers are the ones we had no money and things didn't go according to plan but which we enjoyed anyway.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christmas and society in genetal was better in the 70's and 80's. I love to hear people say Merry Christmas instead of Happy Holidays. Ever since 2020 I feel like I have been living in the Twilight Zone.
Whenever someone say's to me, "Happy Holidays", I say, thank you! And Merry Christmas! You would be surprised how many will say it back.
It's the retailers who don't want offend their customers who make their staff say "Happy Holiday's". Pfft !!! And of course, we know the enemy is behind it all...
Childhood memories of Christmas are good ones yes. Loved how the tree smelled, and making funny faces in the round ornaments, lol. My parents always made sure we knew the true reason for this celebration. I personally no longer put any decorations up. It's a different world! Twilight Zone, for sure bro, lol.

Rockerduck

Nov 7, 2022
Marietta, Georgia.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Of course. I don't see any bell ringers or the Salvation army bands playing anymore. Some stores had caramel popcorn that we munched on walking around. Oh and the smells of cooking demo's around the malls; then driving around the neighborhoods looking at Christmas decorations. Nowadays if someone says "happy holidays", I say Jesus is the reason..

Reactions: shortangel

Space_Karen

Oct 1, 2022
west coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would guess a higher percentage of people are demoralized and depressed.

They can't afford to put their kids through college, can't afford healthcare and can't afford to buy a house.

They might lack time for holiday season get togethers with the family, considering they might have to work on thanksgiving and christmas.

They're not feeling very christmasy, given the circumstances.

Reactions: shortangel