Does God Love Everyone

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Surf Rider said:

We have all sorts of believers that don't believe the bible: they selectively pick and choose what seems right to them. Even homosexual "Christians". Even adulterous "Christians".

Even liars? Even Christians who lust in their hearts? Even prideful Christians who believe that only their interpretations of scripture are accurate?

Look at the fruit of Christendom: it has the same moral statistics as the damned. Only a spiritual fool would believe that their beliefs are correct, when they have the same statistics as the damned. They are right in their own eyes, blind leaders of the blind, believing what is right in their own eyes, even though the proof of their errant beliefs is staring them and the whole world in the face. Only a stiff necked and rebellious people would persist in their beliefs that negate so many verses.

Yep. The Church is full of sinners in the process of being justified and sanctified through the work of the Holy Spirit - AMEN! Your message of contempt for the people of God Surf, is tired and wreaks of pride.

After the second admonish, know for a fact that they are warped and twisted, the scriptures state, xander. From such, turn aside, knowing that bad company corrupts good character. If they will not listen to the scriptures, they obviously don't listen to the Spirit, no matter what they say to the contrary: you cannot get salt and fresh from the same well. But they don't believe that one, either. Why they bother to state that they believe any of the bible is just crazy.

Well, consider this your second admonition, brother - I am taking your advice.

Peace

Surf Rider

Dec 17, 2009
in the kingdom of heaven right now
Surf Rider said:

We have all sorts of believers that don't believe the bible: they selectively pick and choose what seems right to them. Even homosexual "Christians". Even adulterous "Christians".

Even liars? Even Christians who lust in their hearts? Even prideful Christians who believe that only their interpretations of scripture are accurate?

Look at the fruit of Christendom: it has the same moral statistics as the damned. Only a spiritual fool would believe that their beliefs are correct, when they have the same statistics as the damned. They are right in their own eyes, blind leaders of the blind, believing what is right in their own eyes, even though the proof of their errant beliefs is staring them and the whole world in the face. Only a stiff necked and rebellious people would persist in their beliefs that negate so many verses.

Yep. The Church is full of sinners in the process of being justified and sanctified through the work of the Holy Spirit - AMEN! Your message of contempt for the people of God Surf, is tired and wreaks of pride.

After the second admonish, know for a fact that they are warped and twisted, the scriptures state, xander. From such, turn aside, knowing that bad company corrupts good character. If they will not listen to the scriptures, they obviously don't listen to the Spirit, no matter what they say to the contrary: you cannot get salt and fresh from the same well. But they don't believe that one, either. Why they bother to state that they believe any of the bible is just crazy.

Well, consider this your second admonition, brother - I am taking your advice.

Peace

I am not your brother.

They selectively pick and choose, negating many scriptures
People use John 3:16 to negate these other verses. Yes, God loved the world, but that cannot be taken to contradict and thus annul and make these other verses to be lies or myths. Therefore, John 3:16 is misunderstood. We must use other scriptures to clarify John 3:16. "God demonstrated his love for us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8) For who? Us. Us who? "As to the nations who believe,...." (Acts 21:25) "And for this cause we thank God without ceasing, that when you received the word of hearing, of God, you welcomed it as the word of God, not as a word of men, but as it is, the word of God, which also effectually works in you who believe." (1 Thes. 2:13) "And He has made you alive, who were once dead in trespasses and sins, in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now works in the children of disobedience; among whom we also had our way of life in times past, in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the thoughts, and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others. But God, who is rich in mercy, for His great love with which He loved us (even when we were dead in sins) has made us alive together with Christ (by grace you are saved), and has raised us up together and made us sit together in the heavenlies in Christ Jesus, so that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us through Christ Jesus. For by grace you are saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

(Eph 2:10) For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to good works, which God has before ordained that we should walk in them." (Eph. 2:1-10) So we see that it is those who are in Christ that God has loved and separated unto Himself. There is much scripture that states this truth. "And He searching the hearts knows what is the mind of the Spirit, because He makes intercession for the saints according to the will of God. And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose. For whom He foreknew, He also predestinated to be conformed to the image of His Son, for Him to be the First-born among many brothers. But whom He predestinated, these He also called; and whom He called, those He also justified. And whom He justified, these He also glorified. What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?" (Rom. 8:27-31) It is those who God foreknew that are called and made pure, that He has love from before the foundations of the world. "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenlies in Christ; according as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before Him in love, having predestined us to the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the good pleasure of His will, to the praise of the glory of His grace, in which He has made us accepted in the One having been loved." (Eph. 1:3-6) That states it right there: it is those who are foreknown in Christ who God has loved. And "we love Him, because He first loved us." But look at more of that passage, and it clearly teaches this truth: "And we have known and believed the love that God has in us. God is love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God in him. In this is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment, that as He is, so also we are in this world. There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear, because fear has torment. He who fears has not been perfected in love. We love Him because He first loved us." (1 John 4:16-19) "For we who have believed do enter into the rest, as He said, "I have sworn in My wrath that they should not enter into My rest;" although the works were finished from the foundation of the world." (Heb. 4:3) This verse states it very clearly. 1 Peter 1 and Revelation 13:8 and 17:8 all teach this truth quite clearly.

But you won't believe these, either. The people perish for lack of understanding. There is a famine of knowing God's word, and a famine of believing all of it.

The proof is staring us in the face, but it is so much easier to insult those who live victoriously in their actions and thoughts, than to admit personal failings, isn't it? Chistendom doesn't come close to measuring up to the statements of the scriptures for victory in thoughts and speech and actions for those who are born of God, so they state that everyone who says that they have victory is a liar. Just because you are wicked Aspen, doesn't mean that I am. Just because you don't have victory in your thoughts, doesn't mean that I don't. And just because you are this way, doesn't mean that you can ignore the scritpures that state that those who know God cannot be like you are.

It is hard to find a more complete example of being doubleminded than your posts, Aspen. You are victorious, but at the same time wicked and sinful. Novel. You don't even believe that a person can have the mind of Christ, even though the scriptures state that those born of God have the mind of Christ. There is just so much scripture that you state is not true, why you bother to state that you believe any of it is just crazy. By very definition of the word in the dictionary, you are the epitome of hypocrite. Sorry, not trying to be mean or rude, but that's the dictionary definition, and you have provided ample posts that prove it, ample posts that state that the scriptures are not true, that spiritual things and spiritual truth are determined by your own pathetic spiritual state. Sorry, but that's as backwards as it can ever get. God determines it all, and if you don't fall completely in line with Him and all that He states in His word, you are at enmity with Him. But you don't believe that, either. You are the perfect fulfillment of this (Tit 1:15) To the pure all things are pure. But to those who are defiled and unbelieving nothing is pure, but even their mind and conscience is defiled. (Tit 1:16) They profess that they know God, but in their works they deny Him, being abominable and disobedient and reprobate to every good work.

Repent.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
Does genre matter at all as part of the context?[font="tahoma] [/font][/color]
[font="tahoma][size="3"] [/size][/font]
[font="tahoma][size="3"]
[/size][/font]

Sure but does that mean that David didn't really mean what he said?

It's usually uni's who want to ignore that one, unless they decide that being thrown into the Lake of Fire annihilates people. But I can't imagine how it would be possible to find a clearer way for the Bible to say unending torment than phrases like "for ever and ever".

I try not to ignore any scripture, but it seems here you are ignoring your own definition of aion. The unending torment eschatology denies several hundred scriptures, Father's character and omnipotence. Now if you would like to compare the unending torment, annihilation and universal reconciliation with the scriptures in another thread I will be happy to do so.
smile.gif

What do you mean by "destroy"?

If you will look back and see it in the context of post #29 by Tomwebster maybe it will help. Generally my definition would be the same as Merriam Webster "to kill or annihilate". What is yours?

What's with all the "lying" questions? Are you trying to always posit "black and white" or "false dilemma"? Lying is not the only alternative interpretation; it can also be that you've overlooked other possibilities. And how does this conflict with unending punishment? What is vengeance then? And how does annihilation of souls pay for anything? Heaven or hell is determined by what one does with Jesus' offer of reconciliation, and the residents of hell are those who rejected it.

I overlooked nothing, but you seem to overlook the context quite a bit. Did Jesus say that God's kindness is for all eternity, or was He talking about this current age? And if the context is ambiguous, inserting one's preferred meaning would be begging the question.
The first part of your response here is better addressed in another thread concerning UR and I will be happy to join you there.
Now the second part.
[font="tahoma][size="3"]Seems your still ignoring it or at least avoiding it. Jesus said His Father is kind to the unthankful and the wicked and that we should follow His example and love our enemies if it is not for "all eternity" then I must ask, does God change? [/size][/font]
[font="tahoma][size="3"]
[/size][/font]
[font="tahoma][size="3"]
Many boards frown on that sort of thing.
[/size][/font]
[font="tahoma][size="3"]
[/size][/font]
[font="tahoma][size="3"]Actually I think it is the other way around after all they are your words aren't they? I think it is better to copy/paste than posting a link to your own website. [/size][/font]
smile.gif

SaberTruth

Oct 9, 2010
USA
Sure but does that mean that David didn't really mean what he said?
The genre is poetry, and Hebrew poetry involved a fair amount of hyperbole. So of course David meant what he said; the question is what was he talking about? And since the genre is poetry, not doctrine, it doesn't support your argument.[font="tahoma] [/font][/color]
[color="#5d5d5d"][font="tahoma] [/font][/color][quote][color="#5d5d5d"][font="tahoma][size="2"]I try not to ignore any scripture, but it seems here you are ignoring your own definition of aion. The unending torment eschatology denies several hundred scriptures, Father's character and omnipotence. Now if you would like to compare the unending torment, annihilation and universal reconciliation with the scriptures in another thread I will be happy to do so.[/size][/font]
smile.gif
[/quote]
The article I linked to, which is too much material to copy and paste, explains why scripture says the torment is unending. No hope is offered to anyone who experiences the second death. And universalism gives false hope and takes away any incentive to be saved in this life. Who wouldn't prefer to live as they please and then go to heaven anyway, even if it means possible suffering for a time in the afterlife? That's what uni does; no reason for present salvation, and a false hope for heaven. This, IMHO, is what the Bible is against and is thus a heresy.[font="tahoma] [/font][/color]
[color="#5d5d5d"][font="tahoma] [/font][/color][quote][color="#5d5d5d"][font="tahoma][size="2"]If you will look back and see it in the context of post #29 by Tomwebster maybe it will help. Generally my definition would be the same as Merriam Webster "to kill or annihilate". What is yours?[/size][/font]
[/quote]
[font="tahoma][size="2"]The Bible's, not mine, is what matters. It can mean either physical death (which is separation between body and spirit, not decay), physical decay, or eternal separation of human spirit from God. That's what I see in various scripture passages. But by saying it always only means annihilation, you beg the question of what happens to lost souls.
[/size][/font]

[font="tahoma] [/font][/color]
[color="#5d5d5d"][font="tahoma] [/font][/color][quote][color="#5d5d5d"][font="tahoma][size="2"]The first part of your response here is better addressed in another thread concerning UR and I will be happy to join you there.[/size][/font]
[/quote]
There's a thread here for logical fallacies like false dilemma? I'll have to look. Would have been nice to have a link though. B)

[font="tahoma] [/font][/color][quote][color="#5d5d5d"][font="tahoma][size="2"]Now the second part.[/size][/font]
[font="tahoma][size="3"]Seems your still ignoring it or at least avoiding it. Jesus said His Father is kind to the unthankful and the wicked and that we should follow His example and love our enemies if it is not for "all eternity" then I must ask, does God change? [/size][/font][/quote]
[font="tahoma][size="3"]You're still ignoring the context. Jesus said this concerning this present world, not eternity. We are to follow his earthly example on earth. Didn't Jesus say that in heaven we will be like angels who don't marry? Yet we marry here on earth. So even in this simple example we have precedent for differences in how we live in eternity compared to now. God does not change, but His dealings with us do... just look at how many times the rules changed in history: for people before the Flood, people after, the Jews, the church... many changes in the rules in this life. You are committing the fallacy of non-sequitur:

P1- Jesus told us to love our enemies
P2 - We are to follow His example
C - God will always, forever, love His enemies

See? The conclusion does not logically follow from the premises. In fact, it's an invalid syllogism because there are too many elements. A valid syllogism would be like this:

P2- We are to follow His example
C- We must love our enemies

Then we can examine the scope of the command, and nothing is ever said about it being eternal. More importantly, nothing is said about loving one's enemies meaning they cannot be eternally separated from God. I can love someone I have to stay away from because they keep hurting me or threatening me. Likewise, God can love someone who rejects Him while reluctantly consigning them to eternal separation from Him. And when we consider that all it takes is faith and acknowledging Him as God over us, why is this so much to ask? He paid the whole price and only asks for our faith! To reject this is the ultimate insult.

Think about this too: is it really love if you beat a child until they say they love you? Is God going to accept a love from someone who had to be punished to develop it? No, love must be voluntary to be genuine, and anything less is not worthy of God. Your argument fails both logically and philosophically, and ignores scriptures that speak of eternal torment.
[/size][/font]

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
The genre is poetry, and Hebrew poetry involved a fair amount of hyperbole. So of course David meant what he said; the question is what was he talking about? And since the genre is poetry, not doctrine, it doesn't support your argument.[font="tahoma] [/font][/color]
[color="#5d5d5d"][font="tahoma] [/font][/color]
The article I linked to, which is too much material to copy and paste, explains why scripture says the torment is unending. No hope is offered to anyone who experiences the second death. And universalism gives false hope and takes away any incentive to be saved in this life. Who wouldn't prefer to live as they please and then go to heaven anyway, even if it means possible suffering for a time in the afterlife? That's what uni does; no reason for present salvation, and a false hope for heaven. This, IMHO, is what the Bible is against and is thus a heresy.[color="#5d5d5d"][font="tahoma] [/font][/color]
[color="#5d5d5d"][font="tahoma][size="2"]The Bible's, not mine, is what matters. It can mean either physical death (which is separation between body and spirit, not decay), physical decay, or eternal separation of human spirit from God. That's what I see in various scripture passages. But by saying it always only means annihilation, you beg the question of what happens to lost souls.
[/size][/font]

[font="tahoma] [/font][/color]
There's a thread here for logical fallacies like false dilemma? I'll have to look. Would have been nice to have a link though. B)

[font="tahoma][size="3"]You're still ignoring the context. Jesus said this concerning this present world, not eternity. We are to follow his earthly example on earth. Didn't Jesus say that in heaven we will be like angels who don't marry? Yet we marry here on earth. So even in this simple example we have precedent for differences in how we live in eternity compared to now. God does not change, but His dealings with us do... just look at how many times the rules changed in history: for people before the Flood, people after, the Jews, the church... many changes in the rules in this life. You are committing the fallacy of non-sequitur:

P2 - We are to follow His example
C - God will always, forever, love His enemies

See? The conclusion does not logically follow from the premises. In fact, it's an invalid syllogism because there are too many elements. A valid syllogism would be like this:

P2- We are to follow His example
C- We must love our enemies

Then we can examine the scope of the command, and nothing is ever said about it being eternal. More importantly, nothing is said about loving one's enemies meaning they cannot be eternally separated from God. I can love someone I have to stay away from because they keep hurting me or threatening me. Likewise, God can love someone who rejects Him while reluctantly consigning them to eternal separation from Him. And when we consider that all it takes is faith and acknowledging Him as God over us, why is this so much to ask? He paid the whole price and only asks for our faith! To reject this is the ultimate insult.

Think about this too: is it really love if you beat a child until they say they love you? Is God going to accept a love from someone who had to be punished to develop it? No, love must be voluntary to be genuine, and anything less is not worthy of God. Your argument fails both logically and philosophically, and ignores scriptures that speak of eternal torment.
[/size][/font]

Well thanks for your opinion we seem to disagree on many things, I agree with Paul.
And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from his love. Death can't, and life can't. The angels can't, and the demons can't. Our fears for today, our worries about tomorrow, and even the powers of hell can't keep God's love away. Whether we are high above the sky or in the deepest ocean, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord.
But aside from that I would still be happy to continue on another thread the discussion about UR vs endless torment. If you cant find one then just start one.

SaberTruth

Oct 9, 2010
USA
Well thanks for your opinion we seem to disagree on many things but with that aside I would still be happy to continue on another thread the discussion about UR vs endless torment. If you cant find one then just start one.

You tell me there's a thread but won't give the link. But I see no point in discussing UR until we know how a "love" only obtained through punishment is genuine. It's easy for people to believe in God after they see Him, but even Satan believes in God. The issue is reconciliation, and that can't be done by beating someone into submission. It takes free will, and even we know that a contract signed under duress is invalid. God would not accept such a "reconciliation"; it has to be willing and without threat.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
You tell me there's a thread but won't give the link. But I see no point in discussing UR until we know how a "love" only obtained through punishment is genuine. It's easy for people to believe in God after they see Him, but even Satan believes in God. The issue is reconciliation, and that can't be done by beating someone into submission. It takes free will, and even we know that a contract signed under duress is invalid. God would not accept such a "reconciliation"; it has to be willing and without threat.

Then you misunderstand the gospel of grace. If God waited for us to respond to Him in love before He showed love towards us then God's essence would not be love. The scriptures declare this clearly. Do you have any scripture that supports you choosing God rather than Him choosing you?

Paul said while we were God's enemies He sent His Son to die for us. Did you respond towards God on your own without His drawing you? What do you think of Paul's conversion? Do you believe that you contribute anything to your salvation?

. The issue is reconciliation, and that can't be done by beating someone into submission. It takes free will, and even we know that a contract signed under duress is invalid. God would not accept such a "reconciliation"; it has to be willing and without threat.

OK I agree the issue is reconciliation and that it isn't done by beating someone into submission.

So what do you make of this scripture.
For God in all his fullness was pleased to live in Christ, and by him God reconciled everything to himself. He made peace with everything in heaven and on earth by means of his blood on the cross. Col. 1:19&20

How were you reconciled to God?

SaberTruth

Oct 9, 2010
USA
Then you misunderstand the gospel of grace. If God waited for us to respond to Him in love before He showed love towards us then God's essence would not be love. The scriptures declare this clearly. Do you have any scripture that supports you choosing God rather than Him choosing you?

Paul said while we were God's enemies He sent His Son to die for us. Did you respond towards God on your own without His drawing you? What do you think of Paul's conversion? Do you believe that you contribute anything to your salvation?

I think it's you who misunderstand the gospel of grace. We agree that God initiated everything, that "while we were still sinners Christ died for us". But was He buying or coercing our love? Not at all. We each examined Jesus' claims and decided freely whether to accept His sacrifice on our behalf. God is not bribing people but only asking them to choose to return His love. They can either accept or reject.

But what you're talking about is God forcing them to "love" Him by punishing them until they "say uncle". Jesus took the punishment that was due us (Isaiah 53), so anyone who is punished is rejecting and insulting Jesus' suffering and sacrifice for them.

As for your last question, that's Calvinism, a giant can of worms all its own. I'll only say now that scripture is filled with God telling us to choose (i.e. "whoever believes"). But the question here is uni, and it makes no scriptural or logical sense.

What do you do with this statement by Paul?
that God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting people's sins against them. And he has committed to us the message of reconciliation. We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore you on Christ's behalf: Be reconciled to God. (2 Cor. 5:19-20)

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
I think it's you who misunderstand the gospel of grace. We agree that God initiated everything, that "while we were still sinners Christ died for us". But was He buying or coercing our love? Not at all. We each examined Jesus' claims and decided freely whether to accept His sacrifice on our behalf. God is not bribing people but only asking them to choose to return His love. They can either accept or reject.

But what you're talking about is God forcing them to "love" Him by punishing them until they "say uncle". Jesus took the punishment that was due us (Isaiah 53), so anyone who is punished is rejecting and insulting Jesus' suffering and sacrifice for them.

Again you misunderstand and assume to much. Can you show me where I said that God punishes anyone till they submit?

As for your last question, that's Calvinism, a giant can of worms all its own. I'll only say now that scripture is filled with God telling us to choose (i.e. "whoever believes"). But the question here is uni, and it makes no scriptural or logical sense.

Makes no sense to you but thats only because of the religious paradigm that you hold to, failing to understand something doesn't make it senseless.

Start a thread and let's see what the scriptures support.

SaberTruth

Oct 9, 2010
USA
Again you misunderstand and assume to much. Can you show me where I said that God punishes anyone till they submit?
That's what uni teaches... God doesn't punish people for eternity, but only until they finally accept Him. If you're an annihilationist then of course that doesn't apply. But it does raise other issues.

Makes no sense to you but thats only because of the religious paradigm that you hold to, failing to understand something doesn't make it senseless.
I used recognized logical principles and showed you how your argument is illogical. I also cited scripture to several points. We are wasting our time if such things don't matter to you.

So what do you say about Paul's "you are reconciled... you must be reconciled"? And can one "reconcile" or does it take two willing parties?

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
That's what uni teaches... God doesn't punish people for eternity, but only until they finally accept Him. If you're an annihilationist then of course that doesn't apply. But it does raise other issues.

Well there may be some but thats like saying that all protestants agree. Again your assumption is wrong I promise .

I used recognized logical principles and showed you how your argument is illogical. I also cited scripture to several points. We are wasting our time if such things don't matter to you.
[font="tahoma][size="3"]
[/size][/font]
[font="tahoma][size="3"]No actually you haven't showed me. Start a new thread and let's take it one scripture at a time. We can even start with the scripture 2 Cor. 5:19&20 that you posted earlier.
smile.gif
[/size][/font]
[font="tahoma][size="3"]
[/size][/font]
[font="tahoma][size="3"]
So what do you say about Paul's "you are reconciled... you must be reconciled"? And can one "reconcile" or does it take two willing parties?
[/size][/font]
Start the thread and we can discuss it there.
smile.gif

SaberTruth

Oct 9, 2010
USA
Well there may be some but thats like saying that all protestants agree. Again your assumption is wrong I promise .
Then tell me what brand of uni you believe, that would help.

[font="tahoma][size="3"]No actually you haven't showed me. Start a new thread and let's take it one scripture at a time. We can even start with the scripture 2 Cor. 5:19&20 that you posted earlier.
smile.gif
[/size][/font]
[font="tahoma][size="3"] [/size][/font]I have showed you but you didn't see it. ;)
Start the thread and we can discuss it there.
smile.gif
We already have a thread here where you first mentioned reconciliation, and I asked you a fair and relevant question about it right here. Can one person force reconciliation, or does it take two?

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
[font="tahoma][size="3"] [/size][/font]I have showed you but you didn't see it. ;)

Can you show me again?

We already have a thread here where you first mentioned reconciliation, and I asked you a fair and relevant question about it right here. Can one person force reconciliation, or does it take two?

[font="tahoma][size="3"]Who said anything about forcing? I don't think I did. It seems that you misunderstand God's character and maybe when I have more time I will post more and until then if your interested in what I believe you can visit some of my threads.[/size][/font]
smile.gif

SaberTruth

Oct 9, 2010
USA
jiggyfly,

Comment #44 shows the fallacy of your argument. And uni teaches that people will only be punished in hell till they cry "uncle" and "love" God, who will then admit them into eternal bliss. That's forcing, whether you've ever thought this through or not. And if I have to go snipe hunting all over the board to find bits and pieces of what you're trying to promote in this thread, I hope you understand that this is an unreasonable request, especially when you won't lift a finger to provide the links.

God's character is both love and holiness; we can't only pick out the "love" attribute and say this is what God is like. Holiness demands purity and justice demands fairness, tempered by the mercy that comes from love. God showed His love for us as per John 3:16 etc., but He also shows His holiness and justice by the two judgments shown in Revelation: the white throne and the bema seat. These two judgments show that before the judgment even begins, people's eternal destination is already decided by what they did with Jesus in this life. Otherwise there'd only be one judgment for all, where people are pronounced saved or lost. It is only those who are "in Christ" by faith who are seen as pure by God, and after death it is too late to be "in Christ". Not one scripture hints at a second chance after death.

The justice and holiness of God does not conflict with the love and mercy of God, such that you have to throw away one in order to keep the other. Uni wants only God's mercy but cares nothing for justice, since there is ultimately no special reward for those who come to faith in this life. If the end result is identical for all people, then the lives they lived here made no difference in eternity. That means the murderer and the victim are treated alike.

Rev. 22:11 says this:
Let those who do wrong continue to do wrong; let those who are vile continue to be vile; let those who do right continue to do right; and let those who are holy continue to be holy
If that isn't a clear statement that the divide between heaven and hell is eternal, I don't know what is.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
jiggyfly,

Comment #44 shows the fallacy of your argument. And uni teaches that people will only be punished in hell till they cry "uncle" and "love" God, who will then admit them into eternal bliss. That's forcing, whether you've ever thought this through or not. And if I have to go snipe hunting all over the board to find bits and pieces of what you're trying to promote in this thread, I hope you understand that this is an unreasonable request, especially when you won't lift a finger to provide the links.

God's character is both love and holiness; we can't only pick out the "love" attribute and say this is what God is like. Holiness demands purity and justice demands fairness, tempered by the mercy that comes from love. God showed His love for us as per John 3:16 etc., but He also shows His holiness and justice by the two judgments shown in Revelation: the white throne and the bema seat. These two judgments show that before the judgment even begins, people's eternal destination is already decided by what they did with Jesus in this life. Otherwise there'd only be one judgment for all, where people are pronounced saved or lost. It is only those who are "in Christ" by faith who are seen as pure by God, and after death it is too late to be "in Christ". Not one scripture hints at a second chance after death.

The justice and holiness of God does not conflict with the love and mercy of God, such that you have to throw away one in order to keep the other. Uni wants only God's mercy but cares nothing for justice, since there is ultimately no special reward for those who come to faith in this life. If the end result is identical for all people, then the lives they lived here made no difference in eternity. That means the murderer and the victim are treated alike.

Rev. 22:11 says this: If that isn't a clear statement that the divide between heaven and hell is eternal, I don't know what is.

Well let's talk about God's justice. How is God's justice satisfied?

And can you please give scripture that states once a person goes to hell that it is permanent?

a3m24ie

Oct 10, 2010
What an interesting topic! (and I'm not going to lie, I didn't read EVERY post, but I skimmed...so sorry if I repeat) I've been thinking about this a lot lately, because I've read those verses in Psalms that talk about God hating the wicked, all who do evil, etc... and I believed that at first because--well, it's the Bible! But I can't seem to wrap my mind around how in John 3:16 it says God loved the WORLD... I don't know.. it's definitely something I'm wondering about.

We KNOW that God HATES sin... and we know that God is JUST... and we know that God says that He loved the world and sent His Son to die for the world WHILE they were still sinners... and that He says that laying down your life for someone is the greatest form of love... and God did that...........so to me it just seems like it contradicts what the Psalms says that God hates the wicked.

My thoughts are that maybe there's a different love as far as for the world as a whole and the love for an individual sinner...?

-am

tomwebster

Dec 11, 2006
1. I have read Ezekiel.

2. Satan is a fallen angel - He is not our 'spirit brother', which happens to be a LDS belief, not Christian.

3, I defined Hell; please see above. Perhaps it is easier to dismiss my post if I reject the doctrine of Hell? but.....

You might have read Ezekiel but you sure didn't understand it, and you might think the angels are a different type of creature but they are not. We are made in the image of God and His children (Angels) but you would need to understand the first heaven and earth age which you don't. Just put it on the shelf for now, someday you will understand.

What an interesting topic! (and I'm not going to lie, I didn't read EVERY post, but I skimmed...so sorry if I repeat) I've been thinking about this a lot lately, because I've read those verses in Psalms that talk about God hating the wicked, all who do evil, etc... and I believed that at first because--well, it's the Bible! But I can't seem to wrap my mind around how in John 3:16 it says God loved the WORLD... I don't know.. it's definitely something I'm wondering about.

We KNOW that God HATES sin... and we know that God is JUST... and we know that God says that He loved the world and sent His Son to die for the world WHILE they were still sinners... and that He says that laying down your life for someone is the greatest form of love... and God did that...........so to me it just seems like it contradicts what the Psalms says that God hates the wicked.

My thoughts are that maybe there's a different love as far as for the world as a whole and the love for an individual sinner...?

-am

a3, there are certain beings, people, God hates, that is because He knows who they were and what they did in the first earth age.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lord, I pray that I will never be overly confident about my knowledge of your scriptures, especially if my knowledge gets in the way of loving and serving you and my neighbors. Help my to remember that doctrine and dogma do not save - your Grace is what saves and that my interest in your word must be a catalyst to connecting and encouraging other Christians rather than a declaration of my own confidence in self-knowledge. Always remind me that love is my job and doctrine is my hobby, which should edify my desire to carry out your work. AMEN!!