Does God love, or hate unbelievers?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Something to consider?

Romans 5:8: For in our being still ailing, Christ in due time did die for the impious;

Strong's Concordance

asebés: ungodly, impious

Original Word: ἀσεβής, ές

Part of Speech: Adjective

Transliteration: asebés

Phonetic Spelling: (as-eb-ace')

Definition: ungodly, impious

Usage: impious, ungodly, wicked.

HELPS Word-studies

765 asebḗs (an adjective which is the negation of 4576 /sébomai, "to respect") – properly, lack of reverence ("without due respect"), i.e. failing to honor what is sacred – especially in the outward (ceremonial) sense.

[765 (asebḗs) is the antonym (opposite) of 4576 /sébomai ("respecting what is holy").]

Reactions: Lambano

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 9
11 (for the children not yet being born, nor having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works but of Him who calls), 2 it was said to her, "The older shall serve the younger." 13 As it is written, "Jacob I have loved, but Esau I have hated."

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 5:43-48:

“You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven; for He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? If you greet only your brothers, what more are you doing than others? Do not even the Gentiles do the same? Therefore, you are to be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

According to Jesus, God shows His love for the πονηροὺς ("poneros", one who is evil) and the ἀδίκους ("adikos", one who is unrighteous and not justified before God) with good gifts. And He instructs us to go and do likewise.

Last edited:
Reactions: ScottA and Nancy

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 9
11 (for the children not yet being born, nor having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works but of Him who calls), 2 it was said to her, "The older shall serve the younger." 13 As it is written, "Jacob I have loved, but Esau I have hated."

Why reason did God have to dislike Esau?

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Why reason did God have to dislike Esau?
I think that word 'hate' is probably not meant in the way we think of the word today.

God loving Jacob and hating Esau has nothing to do with the human emotions of love and hate. It has everything to do with God choosing one man and his descendants and rejecting another man and his descendants.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi @MatthewG Hebrews 11:6: "But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him."

It's all of grace by faith.

The subject is not talking about faith here, sir.

It is does God love the non-believer or not?

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually Jacob is mentioned in the 'by faith' passage at Hebrews 11.21, @MatthewG

It is understandable faith pleases God.

So what are you referring to those today who do not have faith, it understood God is not pleased.

However, does that stop God from desiring them to come to the know the truth? Does God not love even those who are unbelievers?

Sure the passaged that was shared by Jack, stated that God hated Esau, Pearl answered with a good answer.

Reactions: Pearl

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 5:8: For in our being still ailing, Christ in due time did die for the impious;

I have never read that version before. Thank you for sharing. The first word that caught my attention was impious …never ever having seen that word before. The opposite of reverence? Makes me think of the beginning of the wisdom is to fear of God and depart from evil. “To reverence” the opposite of “impious” sometimes being debated as what that fear of God is.

Romans 5:8: For in our being still ailing, Christ in due time did die for the impious

My understanding of that verse is for while we were yet perishing, Christ in due time died for those perishing.
I do like the kjv version also that while we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly. —Which I read as while we were yet without strength, Christ died for those weak and yet without strength, that in due time those weak may have strength. not strength as the world gives to the weak but made strong in the strength of God which is His Son. Paul begs for the thorn to be removed the answer from God being “My strength is made(perfected, a verb?) perfect in weakness.”

A second to that maybe being Paul who said in due time 1 Corinthians 15:7-10, even though he was a chief among sinners being a dreaded “Pharisee” “Chief” among them …that God in due time separated Him from his mothers womb Galatians 1:12-15
…to me the Love of God indeed toward those yet without strength —while they were yet without Romans 5:8, seen then in
Romans 15:9-11 And that the Gentiles might glorify God for his mercy; as it is written, For this cause I will confess to You among the Gentiles, and sing unto Your name. [10] And again he says, Rejoice, you Gentiles, with his people. [11] And again, Praise the Lord, all you Gentiles; and laud him, all you people.

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I have never read that version before. Thank you for sharing. The first word that caught my attention was impious …never ever having seen that word before. The opposite of reverence? Makes me think of the beginning of the wisdom is to fear of God and depart from evil. “To reverence” the opposite of “impious” sometimes being debated as what that fear of God is.

Romans 5:8: For in our being still ailing, Christ in due time did die for the impious

My understanding of that verse is for while we were yet perishing, Christ in due time died for those perishing.
I do like the like the kjv version also that while we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly. —Which I read as while we were yet without strength, Christ died for those weak and yet with strength, that in due time those weak may have strength. not strength as the world gives to the weak but made strong in the strength of God which is His Son. Paul begs for the thorn to be removed the answer from God being “My strength is made(perfected, a verb?) perfect in weakness.”

A second to that maybe being Paul who said in due time 1 Corinthians 15:7-10, even though he was a chief among sinners being a dreaded “Pharisee” “Chief” among them …that God in due time separated Him from his mothers womb Galatians 1:12-15
…to me the Love of God indeed toward those yet without strength —while they were yet without Romans 5:8, seen then in
Romans 15:9-11 And that the Gentiles might glorify God for his mercy; as it is written, For this cause I will confess to You among the Gentiles, and sing unto Your name. [10] And again he says, Rejoice, you Gentiles, with his people. [11] And again, Praise the Lord, all you Gentiles; and laud him, all you people.
@VictoryinJesus Impious = ungodly...... (impious is simply from Latin-based sources while ungodly is from Germanic-based sources).

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 9

Saul Saul why do you persecute Me?
A Pharisee—bringing those bound before men to be accused and imprisoned.

Paul… “It is no longer I who lives, but Christ Lives in Me.” Paul Paul, the Spirit of My Son sent into hearts cries, “Abba Father” This is My Son, in whom I am well pleased. hear My Son. They accused and wanted proof of Christ speaking in Paul. How bold…would God not be the One who knows the cries of the Spirit of His Son sent into hearts, crying “Abba Father”? Yet man wanted proof it is Christ speaking in Paul. It is all over the actions they were witnessing in my opinion…Pauls willingness to be weak that they be made strong. Even yet while they were yet without strength, they wanted “proof”. How is rejoicing when we are weak that you be made strong …not the cry of the Spirit of the Son of God?

personally, as long as we point fingers at all others and exalt ourselves as those received out from “while we were yet with strength” and use that strength given for destruction…we totally neglect: so that..that which is not seen (Christ formed in you) brings down and to nothing that which is seen. (And is temporary) Supported verses are “the inward man being (increased)renewed daily, while the outward man perishes (comes to nothing), and also what John said “I must decrease, He must increase.” What is “unseen” God (Christ Lives in Me) bringing to nothing that which is seen and is temporary,(perishes) that Christ (the unseen) may be manifest (made seen) which they spoke of:
2 Corinthians 2:14-17 Now thanks be unto God, which always causeth us to triumph in Christ, and maketh manifest the savour of his knowledge by us in every place. [15] For we are unto God a sweet savour of Christ, in them that are saved, and in them that perish: [16] To the one we are the savour of death unto death; and to the other the savour of life unto life. And who is sufficient for these things? [17] For we are not as many, which corrupt the word of God: but as of sincerity, but as of God, in the sight of God speak we in Christ.

Philippians 1:13 So that my bonds in Christ are manifest in all the palace, and in all other places ;

2 Corinthians 4:10-12 Always bearing about in the body the dying of the Lord Jesus, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our body. [11] For we which live are alway delivered unto death for Jesus' sake, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our mortal flesh. [12] So then death worketh in us, but life in you.

Between that not seen bringing to nought that which is seen and temporal …to me is Christ(everlasting) manifested and bringing death(temporal) to nothing.
Point is…in us …not pointing at groups but God (unseen) works in us to decrease that which is temporary. “I must decrease. He must increase.” 2 Corinthians 4:16-18 For which cause we faint not; but though our outward man perish, yet the inward man is renewed (increases)day by day. [17] For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory; [18] While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen (Christ): for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen (Christ)are eternal. (Until Christ be formed in you.) (I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength) (that in due time Christ died for those yet without strength, being made weak that they be made strong in Him.)

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Saul Saul why do you persecute Me?
A Pharisee—bringing those bound before men to be accused and imprisoned.

Paul… “It is no longer I who lives, but Christ Lives in Me.” Paul Paul, the Spirit of My Son sent into hearts cries, “Abba Father” This is My Son, in whom I am well pleased. hear My Son.

personally, as long as we point fingers at all others and exalt ourselves as those received out from “while we were yet with strength” and use that strength given for destruction…we totally neglect: so that which is not seen beings to nothing that which is seen. Supported verses are “the inward man being renewed daily, while the outward man perishes (to nothing), and also what John said “I must decrease, He must increase.” What is “unseen” God (Christ Loves in Me) bringing to nothing that which is seen and is temporary, that Christ may be manifest which they spoke of:
2 Corinthians 2:14-17 Now thanks be unto God, which always causeth us to triumph in Christ, and maketh manifest the savour of his knowledge by us in every place. [15] For we are unto God a sweet savour of Christ, in them that are saved, and in them that perish: [16] To the one we are the savour of death unto death; and to the other the savour of life unto life. And who is sufficient for these things? [17] For we are not as many, which corrupt the word of God: but as of sincerity, but as of God, in the sight of God speak we in Christ.

Philippians 1:13 So that my bonds in Christ are manifest in all the palace, and in all other places ;

2 Corinthians 4:10-12 Always bearing about in the body the dying of the Lord Jesus, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our body. [11] For we which live are alway delivered unto death for Jesus' sake, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our mortal flesh. [12] So then death worketh in us, but life in you.

Between that not seen bringing to nought that which is seen and temporal …to me is Christ(everlasting) manifested and bringing death(temporal) to nothing.
Point is…in us …not pointing at groups but God (unseen) works in us to decrease that which is temporary. “I must decrease. he must increase.” 2 Corinthians 4:16-18 For which cause we faint not; but though our outward man perish, yet the inward man is renewed day by day. [17] For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory; [18] While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal. (Until Christ be formed in you.) (I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength) (that in due time Christ died for those yet without strength, being made weak that they be made strong in Him.)
@VictoryinJesus Great verses there; and what that 2 Corinthians 4 passage that you quoted says is truly tremendous, putting so many other things in perspective.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@VictoryinJesus Great verses there; and what that 2 Corinthians 4 passage that you quoted says is truly tremendous, putting so many other things in perspective.

it is. It makes me cry @farouk. Not to be weird or fake but because this world hurts. I should not have read it but I did the other day…it was an article about a 5 month old baby and a two year old girl being mauled to death in their home by two dogs. The mother was in critical condition. One of my worst fears is dog attacks because they are so brutal and unforgiving in attacking. Where even though the mom tried to come between the attack there was no relenting. all night sick to my stomach thinking about it wanting to walk away from this site and God and just sick with questions of “why”? Not because I have more compassion than God but seeing there is a difference in power to stop it, which man doesn’t seem to have. Or maybe man does. But when you said “tremendous” there …why I cry is because of, still, there is Hope.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
it is. It makes me cry @farouk. Not to be weird or fake but because this world hurts. I should not have read it but I did the other day…it was an article about a 5 month old baby and a two year old girl being mauled to death in their home by two dogs. The mother was in critical condition. One of my worst fears is dog attacks because they are so brutal and unforgiving in attacking. Where even though the mom tried to come between the attack there was no relenting. all night sick to my stomach thinking about it wanting to walk away from this site and God and just sick with questions of “why”? Not because I have more compassion than God but seeing there is a difference in power to stop it, which man doesn’t seem to have. Or maybe man does. But when you said “tremendous” there …why I cry is because of, still, there is Hope.
@VictoryinJesus Such strong, superlative language there by Paul in 2 Cor. 4........

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@VictoryinJesus Impious = ungodly...... (impious is simply from Latin-based sources while ungodly is from Germanic-based sources).

"Impious" probably better captures the sense of ἀσεβής in the Greek. A, "without"; serbes, "reverence for God". "Godly" strikes me as being synonymous with "god-like", which seems a bit blasphemous when applied to us regular humans. Though I can't miss the irony of me saying that right after quoting Jesus telling us to be more like God by loving our enemies as He does.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
"Impious" probably better captures the sense of ἀσεβής in the Greek. A, "without"; serbes, "reverence for God". "Godly" strikes me as being synonymous with "god-like", which seems a bit blasphemous when applied to us regular humans. Though I can't miss the irony of me saying that right after quoting Jesus telling us to be more like God by loving our enemies as He does.
@Lambano Peter does use the word 'godliness' in 2 Peter 1.6.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Does God love, or hate unbelievers?

looking again at Romans 11:28 concerning your topic…the Lexicon has “disobedience” but the kjv has “unbelief” that is why to me it connects to your topic.

Romans 11:28-36
who has first given to him, and it shall be recompensed unto him again?
1 John 4:17-19 Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as he is, so are we in this world. [18] There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear: because fear has torment. He that fears is not made perfect in love. [19] We love him, because he first loved us.

Last edited: