Does God want us to use His name?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Personally, I do not BELIEVE and INDIVIDUAL is an INDIVIDUAL “until they ARE BORN, and separated from the life of the female they DEPEND on.”

And further something Can not Die Before it is BORN.

That is not to say, the DEVELOPING “thing”, does not HAVE Life supporting it’s development.
The WHOLE of Adams Body was FORMED, before it received LIFE from God, blown in Adams nostrils.
Developing fetus’ do not breath,
Their exiting the womb, separation from their Life support mother, being called BORN alive, IMO is when THEIR independent life begins.

A yes or no doesn’t suffice.

Ask and you shall receive? Cause her to miscarry? Probably not. Allow that born babe to be steered AWAY from that woman? Steer that child toward another woman who loves and cares about that child? Perhaps. And the female would get what she wanted, and the child would get what it needed.

I am not a proponent of Abortions. I do not advocate For them or support with stance or money to further their agenda. But I also do not spend a great deal of time telling others what they can and can not do. Liberty IS about choice, and the individual deal with the consequences of the Choice.
As far as Laws, I don’t believe reproduction is the business of the Government, along with many other things they stick their nose in.

Murder? No I do not believe murder is possible for something that is not born alive.
Killing? Yes sucking a developing babe out of the woman of a woman is killing it.
The fetus has a heartbeat and most other organs before 2 months. So because you think it hasn't left the womb and not born, it is not living? It is growing like anything that lives. And God created that life - so no, Jesus would not stop its heart - He would rebuke her for such a selfish act.
Kind of slippery view though, it's killing, but not murder.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The fetus has a heartbeat and most other organs before 2 months. So because you think it hasn't left the womb and not born, it is not living? It is growing like anything that lives. And God created that life - so no, Jesus would not stop its heart - He would rebuke her for such a selfish act.
Kind of slippery view though, it's killing, but not murder.

I said, it was “developing”. I said it is not independent life. It is dependent on the females life. It does not breath air required to sustain it own individual life. Of course it is growing. That is Gods design. But no it is not growing like a born person WHO Breaths air...It is NOT born.

God did NOT breath life into a FORMING body of Adam.
God breathed life into a FORMED body of Adam, per Scripture.

Gen 2:
[7] And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

Additionally per Scripture; A developing fetus IN the womb, IS not by definition BORN.

John 3:
[5] Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
[6] That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
[7] Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.

Killing is causing a death of a born person.
Murder is intent to cause a death of a born person.

I’m sure there has been MURDER committed in the performance of some abortions. All? Probably not. Some? Likely so.

So because you think it hasn't left the womb and not born, it is not living?

I have said what I think, and clearly elaborated WHY.
It IS developing, dependent on the female LIFE.
It IS NOT an independent LIFE.
Should the LIVING LIFE (the female) that fetus DEPENDS ON...DIE...so also would the dependent fetus.
I don’t subscribe to your thinking, nor am limited by your thinking.

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You can't force someone to love you. You must give them a choice and it has to come willingly. That is a risk worth taking.
I am thankful for knowing evil, living without and knowing sin and death so that I can know forgiveness and life. Why would we have a need for God if everything was hunky dory?
We need Him, we love Him and appreciate Him because of where we came from.
They always would've had a choice. and if Adam and Eve would not have sinned, then maybe someone else down the line would've eaten off of that tree. That does not mean man was not given a choice.
"Not giving man a choice is then making us blissful, smiling idiots, spoiled kids, walking around having no real value, no morality, no understanding of what they possess ... tip toeing through the tulips ... la tee da."

Was this Adam and Eve before they sinned? No. would it have been them if they had not sinned? No.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In His word to us, God says at Isa 42:8 I am Jehovah. That is my name. Did you know that in the original Bible Jehovah had His name recorded over 7000 times?

Most of us are familiar with the Movie the ten commandments, and many of us know some of them, and are familiar with the plagues put upon Egypt, but few are familiar with the verse found at Exodus 9:16 which reads: for this very reason I have kept you in existence: to show you my power and to have my name declared in all the earth. Yes, Jehovah desired His name to be known throughout the earth.

How important was that name to Jesus? When teaching his disciples how to pray, Jesus chose to place God's name first in his prayer, and instructed that His name should be held holy, or sanctified. Jesus used God's name, even making it manifest to those who knew him well Jn 17:6, 26. Jesus assigned his followers to teach all the things he commanded, making more disciples until the good news would be spread to the ends of the earth. Mat 28:20; Acts 1:8.

Are you making God's name known to others?
I never addressed my dad as "Elbert." I called him "Dad." And so I don't address the Lord by his name.

Reactions: Jane_Doe22

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
16-names-card-layout_orig.jpg

Reactions: Lambano

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I said, it was “developing”. I said it is not independent life. It is dependent on the females life. It does not breath air required to sustain it own individual life. Of course it is growing. That is Gods design. But no it is not growing like a born person WHO Breaths air...It is NOT born
You do not live independently. God gave you life and sustains it. He keeps your heart beating. In essence you are hooked up to an oxygen supply that He provides as did the blood supply the oxygen while you were in the womb. Idependent? Everything is provided for you. You cannot live or breathe on your own.

And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.
That was the acount of the only twi peiple that were ever created that way. Life begins at conception.

I have said what I think, and clearly elaborated WHY.
It IS developing, dependent on the female LIFE.
It IS NOT an independent LIFE.
I understand how you see it and justify it and I don't.

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They always would've had a choice. and if Adam and Eve would not have sinned, then maybe someone else down the line would've eaten off of that tree. That does not mean man was not given a choice.
I said God had to give them a choice. We all would have failed the test too. Sin came into the world by
Adam and salvation came by Jesus. The only true value if love js that is is given freely, by choice. It is wonderful that life is fulled with choices and for us they all work out
for good.
Was this Adam and Eve before they sinned? No. would it have been them if they had not sinned? No.
What do you call a child who doesn't know what is right from wrong, what is good or bad for them? Amoral, naive, unwise, basically without the knowledge of good and evil.
I wonder how one can mature without ever thinking they never did anything wrong? We learn from our mistakes. Anyways, evil existed before Adam and Eve did and they needed to know about it.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You do not live independently.

I said nothing about living independently.
I was quite precise about the specific time of speaking of a birth.

That was the acount of the only twi peiple that were ever created that way. Life begins at conception.

No matter what you say, scripture is clear, BORN is the paramount key.

I understand how you see it and justify it and I don't.

No you do not! And your own words reveal you do not understand, by inserting YOUR OWN words...”justify”, which I never said and which is False.
I was clear. I support Liberty and Freewill for individuals to make their own choices. And BTW, so does God. I do not have to AGREE with an others choices....neither does God....but still believe they have a God given Right to make their own choices, and they bear the consequences.

Gal 6:
[5] For every man shall bear his own burden.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

BTW...the account of ADAM being FORMED by God, does not rest only with Adam.

God also forms every BODY in the womb.

Jer 1
[4] Then the word of the LORD came unto me, saying,
[5] Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sure, we have Scripture, that BY Hebrew Tradition, Gods NAME was TOO HOLY to even be uttered BY Sinful men. WHAT IS Gods NAME?
JAH I AM, Jehovah, Yahweh....etc. ?
We have multiply Descriptions of God Being called by the NAME of His Character....Holy, All Powerful, ALL Knowing, ALL Seeing, etc.

And then JESUS, our Advocate, Sent BY God AS mans “go between”....between (Sinful man Desiring a relationship WITH God)...and thee Heavenly Holy All Powerful, All Knowing, All Seeing Creator and Maker of All things, God Himself.

And THERE is the NAME “JESUS”, that ANY sinful man CAN Utter, and NOT, BE “tongue lashed”, for Uttering Gods HOLY NAME, by a “sinful man”.
Some men can take that at face value....
And Some men spend YEARS, wondering, philosophizing, debating, WHAT IS Gods NAME? <—- IRRELEVANT.

* God certainly KNOWS when a man IS Praying to: the Heavenly Father, the Heavenly God..........WHO that man is Praying TO.
* God certainly KNOWS IF that man is praying MINDFUL Lip Service, (and ignores that man) or IF that man is praying HEARTFUL true Belief, (and hears that man).

* JESUS, “as the SON”; WAS my ADVOCATE to “send my Prayers” to God.

* AFTER “receiving MY offered, and MY Received” Conversion....I no longer PRAY to God, “THROUGH” the Son. I PRAY Directly TO GOD, WHO IS THE Son, MY Holy Heavenly Father.

* As Scripture Details to REMEMBER Jesus, AS THE Son, WHO suffered, ON my Behalf.....JESUS Himself GAVE us a WAY to acknowledge REMEMBERING HIM...

* Jesus sat with His Disciples, Having SUPPER, Eating and Drinking.
* Men MIMICK when they ARE gathered together ... THEY eat, THEY drink IN particular REMEMBRANCE of JESUS.
* Some Men DO THAT ^ on particular scheduled days, times.
I have no issue with that.
* YET, I am of the Belief, It is at ANY TIME, an Individual, with a group or alone....Takes ANYTHING to EAT and DRINK, IS a SUITABLE TIME that individual CAN REMEMBER JESUS’ ... silently in their heart... or orally in speech reflecting the thoughts of their heart.
* AND GOD HIMSELF, KNOWS a persons Heart’s Thoughts.

A human man having a CLOSE RELATIONSHIP with ANYONE, requires continuous CONTACT with the other.
Humans desire CLOSE RELATIONSHIPS...and SO Does God desire the same with His Created and Made, ManKIND of things.
Humans NOTICE their own ongoing CLOSE RELATIONSHIPS...and SO does God....and God WARNS of the Consequences....AND WE can Observe the Consequences.
Humans NOTICE when they or another DRIFT AWAY from their CLOSE RELATIONSHIP.....and SO does God....and God WARNS of the Consequences...AND WE can Observe the Consequences.

AND BTW...Consequences....are the results, which CAN be “favorable” or “awful”.

Glory to God,
Taken

I guess the simplest and best reason I can give you to use God's name is found at Romans 10:13, salvation is dependent upon calling on God's name. You have to know God and be His friend, how many close friends do you have that you have never called by name?

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have a bunch of JW's in my family whom I love and they love me as well. I am not against them. We just have gone the gamut, hit the wall or so to speak and realize we can't really argue our differences anymore since there is no resolve, so we just live and love. Believe me, I have had Elders visit me whom got frustrated and pretty much lost the argument. I have the Holy Spirit and the real Jesus with me to assist. I'm respectful to them, but do not hold anything back.

Emmm, that would be great if you actually believed that: "The Watchtower is irrelevant concerning Bible truths"? Would you care to make that statement during your next meeting with your congregation? Lol

Christians never lose Biblical arguments sir, never. Only those who reject the teachings of the Bible will come out losers.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I guess the simplest and best reason I can give you to use God's name is found at Romans 10:13, salvation is dependent upon calling on God's name. You have to know God and be His friend, how many close friends do you have that you have never called by name?

Rom 10:13
13 for, Whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

The Name of the Lord is JESUS.
Scripture notifies men it is BY, THROUGH, OF Jesus, SINFUL men, can get their prayers, desires, asking, petitions .... sent to God...via the Lord Jesus.
* ie JESUS, is sinful mans advocate, intercessory.

* Already followed Gods ORDER and WAY.

Do I continue to CALL out JESUS’ name as my intercessory? No.
I have direct communication to the Heavenly Father; Lord God Almighty...
What is His NAME ? Jesus.

Lord - Jesus
God - Father
Almighty - Christ

God Bless,
Taken

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I never addressed my dad as "Elbert." I called him "Dad." And so I don't address the Lord by his name.

Jesus did, I follow Jesus, therefore I do. Do you know of any of the prophets, Kings, or anyone in Biblical authority that didn't refer to Jehovah by name? I don't. Since the things written aforetime were for our instruction and example, then why refuse to adhere to it? Rom 15:4

Happy Trails

Feb 6, 2022
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The entire New Testament does not contain the name Jehovah. Look in the Greek Interlinear Bible, it's not there. Why? JESUS IS THE NAME used throughout or Lord. Any reference to our Father is Father.
It's odd, JW's insist on this name that was made up in the 16th century and never uttered by Jesus or the Apostles. The Jews were afraid to prounounce YHWH incorrectly so they used Lord, Adonai. Yahweh may be closer to the word, yet is it really a name or description of who He is, a state of being.

Your statements demonstrate the effectiveness of the Roman church at hiding the truth.

Once they realized it could not be stopped, the religious hierarchy of Rome welcomed the new God of the Christians into their pantheon. Worship of Jesus was now officially allowed, but it had to be done according to the rules of the Roman sun god worshipers. All association with the Jews was suppressed. The former leaders of the cult of Sol Invictus became the de facto leaders of Christianity in Rome. However, even the supposed “church fathers” admit the Hebrew primacy of the NT.

"Matthew composed his gospel in the Hebrew dialect and each translated as best they could," - Papias, 130CE

"Matthew also issued a written gospel among the Hebrews in their own dialect." - Iranaeus, 170CE

"The first gospel is written according to Matthew, the same that was a tax collector, but afterwards an emissary of Yeshua HaMashiach, who having published it for his believers, wrote it in Hebrew." - Origen 200CE

The Vatican has spent several years digitizing the loose documents in their archives for the purpose of encouraging examination by anyone who wants to look.

Having done so, they have given ample evidence for the Hebrew origins of the NT.

Here we have The Gospel of Luke:
DigiVatLib

On the far left of the third line of the second section you can see “Yod, hey, vav, hey.” The thing to note is that it contains 3 vowels. Shva, cholam and qamats. That makes the pronunciation, “YehoVAH.” Most of the time, in the Masoretic text, the middle vowel is omitted. That makes the word unpronounceable. It was done to encourage people NOT to say it. However, throughout the OT it does appear on occasion. When the middle vowel is included, it is always 'cholam,' or 'O.' It is likely the result of scribes reciting the words as they copied them and, inadvertently, including the middle vowel.

The decree to stop pronouncing the name did not happen until the second century CE. The martyrdom of Hananiah ben Teriadon was likely the impetus for this decree. The Romans had forbidden speaking the Name and had no problem torturing and killing those that continued to use it. Hananiah refused to stop. His love for preaching in the Name caused him to be wrapped in a Torah scroll and burned alive. The decree was made in an effort to preserve the Jewish people.

The Name appears in the Gospel of John.
DigiVatLib

The very first word (the upper right-hand corner) is YHVH with 3 vowels.

To say Jesus never spoke the Name would be contradicting Jesus' own statements.

John 17:26
And I have declared unto them thy name, and will declare it: that the love wherewith thou hast loved me may be in them, and I in them.

Acts 2:21 is quoting Joel 2:32. “Whosoever shall call on the Name of YHVH will be saved.” The omission by the Greek translators is more a testament to their agenda than the truth of the matter.

Matthew 21:9 is quoting Psalm 118:26. Jesus is not coming in His own Name. He is coming in the Name of YHVH. YHVH was replaced with LORD in the OT. Here we have the same kind of thing.

Matthew 23:39 Jesus quotes the same passage. “Blessed is he who comes in the Name of YHVH.” That is a praise reserved for the Messiah. That is why the Pharisees tried to get Jesus to stop them. Like His, "I Am" claim, they considered it blasphemy.

Matthew 28:19 How can someone be baptized in the Name of the Father if people refuse to acknowledge it or use it?

Revelation 14:1 Whose Name is written on their foreheads?

Like you, I believed what I was told by the daughters of the Roman church. Research taught me that I had been lied to for 20+ years. It was quite a shock. Sure glad I escaped Babylon.

The prophecy of Jeremiah 16:19 was fulfilled in my life. Could happen to you too.

Reactions: tigger 2 and DavidB

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus did, I follow Jesus, therefore I do. Do you know of any of the prophets, Kings, or anyone in Biblical authority that didn't refer to Jehovah by name? I don't. Since the things written aforetime were for our instruction and example, then why refuse to adhere to it? Rom 15:4
Can you refresh my memory as to when Jesus used God's name?

Happy Trails

Feb 6, 2022
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can you refresh my memory as to when Jesus used God's name?
Matthew 4:4 Jesus says, "It is written..." He then quotes Deuteronomy 8:3.
Matthew 4:7 Jesus says, "It is written..." He then quotes Deuteronomy 6:16
Matthew 4:10 Jesus says, "It is written..." He then quotes Deuteronomy 6:13.

Your KJV may have LORD in all those passages, but everyone knows that LORD is a substitute for YHVH.

The ASV says, more accurately, "man doth not live by bread only, but by everything that proceedeth out of the mouth of Jehovah doth man live." Deut 8:3

"Ye shall not tempt Jehovah your God, as ye tempted him in Massah." Deut 6:16

"Thou shalt fear Jehovah thy God; and him shalt thou serve, and shalt swear by his name." Deut 6:13

Jesus either quoted them accurately, or He added to, or diminished from, the Word of YHVH. That would make Him a sinner.

That's 3 times in a single chapter.

Reactions: tigger 2 and DavidB

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 4:4 Jesus says, "It is written..." He then quotes Deuteronomy 8:3.
Matthew 4:7 Jesus says, "It is written..." He then quotes Deuteronomy 6:16
Matthew 4:10 Jesus says, "It is written..." He then quotes Deuteronomy 6:13.

Your KJV may have LORD in all those passages, but everyone knows that LORD is a substitute for YHVH.

The ASV says, more accurately, "man doth not live by bread only, but by everything that proceedeth out of the mouth of Jehovah doth man live." Deut 8:3

"Ye shall not tempt Jehovah your God, as ye tempted him in Massah." Deut 6:16

"Thou shalt fear Jehovah thy God; and him shalt thou serve, and shalt swear by his name." Deut 6:13

Jesus either quoted them accurately, or He added to, or diminished from, the Word of YHVH. That would make Him a sinner.

That's 3 times in a single chapter.
It is no sin to quote the Old Testament.

Happy Trails

Feb 6, 2022
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is a sin to add to or diminish from it.

So, if Jesus misquoted it and left out YHVH, He would have been a sinner.

I believe Jesus quoted it accurately.

All 3 times that He said, "It is written," would have included "Yehovah," not a substitute. That is what the passages He quoted say.

Reactions: DavidB

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I said nothing about living independently.
I was quite precise about the specific time of speaking of a birth.
Here's your words: "I said it is not independent life. It is dependent on the females life. It does not breath air required to sustain it own individual life."
So "not living independently" and an a dependant life are different? Sounds like you a contradiction.

No matter what you say, scripture is clear, BORN is the paramount key
It sure is and so is creation a key word.
We see a seed planted in nature. It could be a sequoia tree seed. It doesn't look like a tree but it has all the genetic code identicle to the tree. When it starts to grow, it becomes a living organism. It is dependent on soil, water and then when it pushes up out of the soil, sunlight. It is a sequoia, just in its beginning stage of growth. Likewise when conception happens, life begins. God designed every creature. And in that beginning stage, that spark of life, God can see through the stages into adulthood of that person. He gives life and takes it away and NO ONE has the right to kill and destroy what He has created.
But that's my view.

I support Liberty and Freewill for individuals to make their own choices. And BTW, so does God.
I understand, it's popular among liberals as Gay Marriage, Global warming and socialism. I am not implying that you support those causes, just stating that it is popular, it's Pro-Choice.
But God is Pro-Life. How can He not be when He created that life? He begins the process, creates an intricately blend of the parents DNA and at conception, His plan is done, He just priceeda to build on that plan gradually in stages. Later, features, even talents and gifts prepared for the child come ti fruition. He has a vision of the child into adulthood. He really gives the parents an incredible gift and that is His intention, it is a miracle and a blessing - to most. He just requires us to care for the child- in the womb and beyond. Does He care for that fetus? Absolutely! We are woven together in the womb by God.
The parent who aborts this fetus abrupty says to God (if they belueve in God at all), "I don't want your gift ... I'm not ready ... I don't want kids ... I'm going to put a stop to your creative process and flush it!" Does God grieve over their decision? I think so - but that's my perspective.

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
BTW...the account of ADAM being FORMED by God, does not rest only with Adam.

God also forms every BODY in the womb.

Jer 1
[4] Then the word of the LORD came unto me, saying,
[5] Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations.
You can see that yet are in favor of Pro-Choice. Many parents see the work as a miracle and yet some would prevent it from being so.
Enough, I don't want to further derail this thread - Jehovah might get mad.