Does John 1:1 say Jesus is God

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Do you know what that means, staying on your side of the fence? You can google that expression.

Much love!

lol

Your [theological] fence was torn down. You’re living in the past.

I have you surrounded. :)

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@marks,

Nothing is more profound than people displaying the limits of their responsibility - by literally not responding. @Matthias asked you.

1. about the saviors Yahweh sent.

And I asked you

2. And you didn't answer my question; If Jesus were God, there would be no verses that juxtapose God with Jesus but there are many, e.g., Acts 2:36 God made Jesus both Lord and Messiah. What is your take on such verses?

3. Agency exists. If a captain orders his men to rescue you, a drowning man. Who is your savior; the man who pulls you out of the water or the captain who sent him?

Three questions. We've asked you these 3 questions multiple times. Here is a 4th; why do you leave the arena of ideas when yours get scrutinized?

A 5th; why don't you admit you have weakness in being able to provide a reasonable answer that can withstand scrutiny?

Admitting you don't have a good answer would be better than just ignoring the question altogether. We are all here to learn and it is OK that one's theological understanding is not fully at a master level yet. For instance, my wife and I often lament that Christ has not already returned.

Much love!

Reactions: Mr E

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
lol

Your [theological] fence was torn down. You’re living in the past.

What it means is to take on speaking for others, taking both sides of the discussion. It's not good form. It's not productive. It's self-serving, self-affirming, and generally not accurate.

Much love!

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
What it means is to take on speaking for others. It's not good form. It's not productive. It's self-serving, self affirming, and generally not accurate.

Much love!

Yahweh sent saviors. You couldn’t explain it.

Short. Sweet. Accurate.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yahweh sent saviors. You couldn’t explain it.

Short. Sweet. Accurate.
I asked you to further define your question, and why I was asking. You chose not to, and chose to continue in the personal way. So, there you go.

You could hear me about your conversational style, or not, your choice. Or you can continue to make up whatever fantasy about me you want to so you don't need to look that direction. It's up to you. But I'm not here to play these games.

When someone turns to personal comments, personal jabs, I'm done. Poor reasoning, logical fallacies, I'll point it out, and sometimes people will just get back on topic. Sometimes, though, it's just the beginning of the downward slide, and we don't need more of that.

Much love!

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I asked you to further define your question, and why I was asking. You chose not to, and chose to continue in the personal way. So, there you go.

My question doesn’t need further defining. It comes plainly from scripture and I’ve already told you (and others) where, on numerous occasions.

You could hear me about your conversational style, or not, your choice. Or you can continue to make up whatever fantasy about me you want to so you don't need to look that direction. It's up to you. But I'm not here to play these games.

When someone turns to personal comments, personal jabs, I'm done. I'll point it out, and sometimes people will just get back on topic. Sometimes, though, it's just the beginning of the downward slide, and we don't need more if that.

Much love!

You’re done. How many times have you told me that now? When will you convince yourself of that?

I‘ve endured your personal comments about me for months in order to give you time to do what you did.

You can’t control me and I don’t have any interest in or desire to control you.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My question doesn’t need further defining. It comes plainly from scripture and I’ve already told you (and others) where, on numerous occasions.

You’re done. How many times have you told me that now? When will you convince yourself of that?

I‘ve endured your personal comments about me for months in order to give you time to do what you did.

You can’t control me and I don’t have any interest in or desire to control you.
I meant I was done with that topic. Not that I'd never address you again. But OK then. No need to endure any more, I won't trouble you again.

Much love!

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I meant I was done with that topic.

You were done with that topic when you couldn’t explain how Yahweh sends saviors.

Not that I'd never address you again. But OK then. No need to endure any more, I won't trouble you again.

Much love!

You aren’t any trouble to me. I’ve patiently endured much worse than what you’ve dished out.

You have an open invitation to address me anytime, anywhere, about anything. Do whatever you think best.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
John 1:1 [MGNT] ἐν ἀρχῇ ἦν ὁ λόγος καὶ ὁ λόγος ἦν πρὸς τὸν θεόν καὶ θεὸς ἦν ὁ λόγος
Genesis 1:1 [LXX] ἐν ἀρχῇ ἐποίησεν ὁ θεὸς τὸν οὐρανὸν καὶ τὴν γῆν

How many First Century, Greek speaking Jews would not be familiar with Genesis 1:1 from the Septuagint?
The "beginning" is the start of something, not a continuation of it....

The Hebrew word here is "rē'šîṯ" and it mean "the beginning, the first" or the start of something.
Its Greek equivalent is "archē" which means...
  • beginning, origin
  • the person or thing that commences, the first person or thing in a series.

So what is "the beginning" spoken about in John 1:1 and Revelation 3:14? Its the same word.

"1. beginning, origin;
a. used absolutely, of the beginning of all things: ἐν ἀρχῇ, John 1:1f (Genesis 1:1)" (Strongs)

Revelation 3:14 states that Jesus (The Amen and the Faithful Witness) is the "beginning of God's creation". He is not the "originator" or the "beginner", but the first of God's creations. That is a clear unequivocal statement from Jesus himself.
He also called his Father "the only true God" (John 17:3) without including himself, but stating that he was "sent" by his Father. Does one equal part of God "send" an equal part of himself?......one who is said to be his "holy servant" and an obedient son? (Acts 4:27; Philippians 2:8)
Since when does a son claim to be his own father?
When the scriptures were written, not a single Bible writer believed that Jesus was the Almighty. All were Jewish, and all knew that Messiah was what he called himself....."the son of God".

Does it not concern you that no translator (except the Jehovah's Witnesses) translated it that way. Jerome and the Vulgate even disagrees with your translation. Every other translation acknowledges the point John is making is "logos" = "ho theos" (Word = God) ... equality of the two. Setting the stage for "the Word became flesh" as a mike-drop moment.
A "mike drop moment" only through the indoctrinated lens of the trinitarian.
I really couldn't care less what Jerome or the Vulgate have to say about this issue...I care only what Jesus and the apostles had to say about it. The wolves were snapping at the heels of the apostles when they wrote towards the end of the first century....apostasy was foretold and it took place over centuries, ever so gradually invalidating the word of God and substituting man made ideas into the words, just as the devil had influenced Judaism to do......who did Jesus say was their "father"? (John 8:44)...and what did he say about their interpretation of scripture? (Matthew 15:7-9)

History is repeating because humans can be counted on to fall for the devil's well tried and tested methods. (Ecclesiastes 1:9)
(PS. There are peer reviewed Scholarly Articles that refute the "missing ho" argument based on Greek Grammar ... which mean nothing to me as I am not an expert on Koine Greek grammar so I am unqualified to weigh in on that level one way or the other.)
I'm sure that the devil has provided all the 'explanations' necessary to support their doctrines.....but the scriptures speak for themselves and there is more scripture that discredits the trinity than supports it. How do we know this? Because there is not a single passage of scripture that trinitarians use that is a clear an unambiguous statement from either Yahweh or his son that they are parts of a trinitarian godhead.

If there was, this debate would have long been laid to rest. But as it stands...it divides two camps.....those who are sure that Jesus is Yahweh, and those who are sure that he isn't. Who is to say who is right?
Who will let us all know at the judgment, which ones have the right information from the right people....and who have been horribly misled?

The "wheat" exist in a world of "weeds"....Jesus knows which is which, but those who identify as "believers" do not. He knows who are "sheep" and who are "goats" but according the Matthew 7:21-23, the "many" who will find themselves on the wrong road will be shocked at the rejection they receive, and the dead end to the road they traveled by their own free will. (Matthew 7:13-14)

God will only "draw" those in whom he finds an agreeable heart and a willingness to accept an unpopular truth. (John 6:44; 65)
"Few" are on the road to life for a reason.....there is no safety in numbers.

Reactions: Wrangler

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Revelation 3:14 states that Jesus (The Amen and the Faithful Witness) is the "beginning of God's creation". He is not the "originator" or the "beginner", but the first of God's creations. That is a clear unequivocal statement from Jesus himself.

Rev 3:14 is devastating to trinitarian dogma. No wonder I haven’t seen any reply. Just ignore what does not support (which is the vast majority of Scripture).

When the scriptures were written, not a single Bible writer believed that Jesus was the Almighty. All were Jewish, and all knew that Messiah was what he called himself....."the son of God".

A "mike drop moment"

A "mike drop moment" only through the indoctrinated lens of the trinitarian.
I really couldn't care less what Jerome or the Vulgate have to say about this issue...I care only what Jesus and the apostles had to say about it.
Another "mike drop moment"

I'm sure that the devil has provided all the 'explanations' necessary to support their doctrines.....but the scriptures speak for themselves and there is more scripture that discredits the trinity than supports it.

Another "mike drop moment". You are on such a roll!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Aunty Jane

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because there is not a single passage of scripture that trinitarians use that is a clear an unambiguous statement from either Yahweh or his son that they are parts of a trinitarian godhead.

If there was, this debate would have long been laid to rest. But as it stands...

Who is to say who is right?

Logic dictates the one making the positive claim have the burden of proof. The fact that the trinity - the word or doctrine - is not in the Bible is an unrecoverable fact.

The trinity ‘could be’ right but not because of anything God said. So, there is that!

Reactions: Aunty Jane

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Isaiah 43:10-14 KJV
10) Ye are my witnesses, saith the LORD, and my servant whom I have chosen: that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me.
11) I, even I, am the LORD; and beside me there is no saviour.
12) I have declared, and have saved, and I have shewed, when there was no strange god among you: therefore ye are my witnesses, saith the LORD, that I am God.
13) Yea, before the day was I am he; and there is none that can deliver out of my hand: I will work, and who shall let it?
14) Thus saith the LORD, your redeemer, the Holy One of Israel; For your sake I have sent to Babylon, and have brought down all their nobles, and the Chaldeans, whose cry is in the ships.

Romans 10:9-11 KJV
9) That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
10) For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
11) For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

Nehemiah 9:27 KJV
27) Therefore thou deliveredst them into the hand of their enemies, who vexed them: and in the time of their trouble, when they cried unto thee, thou heardest them from heaven; and according to thy manifold mercies thou gavest them saviours, who saved them out of the hand of their enemies.

All speaking of the same thing? Is the One Who died for us to save us from our sins the same as the judge who rescues from an army?

Or is it this more like apples and oranges, the muddling together of different matters in different contexts, producing a faulty "proof"?

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Isaiah 43:10-14 KJV
10) Ye are my witnesses, saith the LORD, and my servant whom I have chosen: that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me.
11) I, even I, am the LORD; and beside me there is no saviour.
12) I have declared, and have saved, and I have shewed, when there was no strange god among you: therefore ye are my witnesses, saith the LORD, that I am God.
13) Yea, before the day was I am he; and there is none that can deliver out of my hand: I will work, and who shall let it?
14) Thus saith the LORD, your redeemer, the Holy One of Israel; For your sake I have sent to Babylon, and have brought down all their nobles, and the Chaldeans, whose cry is in the ships.
Isaiah 45:21-24
21) Tell ye, and bring them near; yea, let them take counsel together: who hath declared this from ancient time? who hath told it from that time? have not I YHWH? and there is no God else beside me; a just God and a Saviour; there is none beside me.
22) Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else.
23) I have sworn by myself, the word is gone out of my mouth in righteousness, and shall not return, That unto me every knee shall bow, every tongue shall swear.
24) Surely, shall one say, in the LORD have I righteousness and strength: even to him shall men come; and all that are incensed against him shall be ashamed.

Philippians 2:9-11 KJV
9) Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:
10) That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;
11) And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

So simple a child can understand. Jesus and YHWH are One and the Same. Our Creator God Who Himself came to save us.

Much love!

Status
Not open for further replies.