Does John 1:1 say Jesus is God

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
never uses it to say “don’t believe what it says, instead believe something different”.
Actually it's been used that way over and over for how many weeks?

Please, don't bother to tell me I haven't seen what I've seen. There wouldn't be any point. This has been the crux of the argument for a long time.

Much love!

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God Himself came to save us.
No Scripture says that.

On the other hand Scripture tells us over and over and over again that Jesus is not God but of God - servant, son, lamb, word of God.

If Jesus were God, there would be no verses that juxtapose God with Jesus but there are many, e.g., Acts 2:36 God made Jesus both Lord and Messiah. What is your take on such verses?

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Isaiah 43:11
I, even I, am YHWH; and beside me there is no saviour.

Nothing about Jesus. I good example of God's agency though. How does God save? Through his agent.

No Scripture says that!
I just referenced a bunch of them. Funny how trinitarians can read into text to support their doctrine but it escapes them that 1,000's of verses imply Jesus is not God GIVEN the mutual exclusivity principle of logic. Obviously, being the son of God necessarily means he is not God.

And you didn't answer my question; If Jesus were God, there would be no verses that juxtapose God with Jesus but there are many, e.g., Acts 2:36 God made Jesus both Lord and Messiah. What is your take on such verses?

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Have I said that? I don't remember saying that, and it's not the sort of thing I say.

Much love!

Tertullian was put forth in defense of the Trinity in the Unitarianism vs. Trinitarianism thread. You gave it your support. If you’ve since changed your mind and withdrawn your support for Tertullian as a defender of the Trinity, then you made a wise decision that I’m unaware of.

Taking Tertullian off that table would either cause me to locate a 4th century defender of the Trinity who spoke of agency or a later defender of the Trinity who does. You’ve conceded the simple point that trinitarian scholars use the word in their commentary on scripture. Now we’re just talking about how early in the history of trinitarianism we find them doing it.

Last edited:

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Actually it's been used that way over and over for how many weeks?
Please, don't bother to tell me I haven't seen what I've seen. There wouldn't be any point. This has been the crux of the argument for a long time.

Much love!

I don’t know if you’ve ever had instruction (formal or informal) in hermeneutics or not but you’ve left me with the impression that you haven’t. You read the Bible just as the most important trinitarian in my life did. He was an intelligent man, but not well educated. He died believing in unicorns.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
YHWH came to save us. Immanuel, God with us. Exactly - exactly - as He said.

Much love!

You didn’t answer my question about the saviors Yahweh sent. Maybe that is your commentary on the question- silence.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He died believing in unicorns.
How nice!

What's your point? I'm a fool? Is this what you are trying to say?

I've notice that you discuss things very often at a much better level than many do, however, really? Unicorns? You know, I did see a mermaid once! They ARE out there, you know! Tom Hanks met one!

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don’t know if you’ve ever had instruction (formal or informal) in hermeneutics or not but you’ve left me with the impression that you haven’t.
No, you actually don't know. But I'm not here to promote myself, nor discuss myself. And your impressions are exactly that, and - just maybe - are influenced by your intent. I suggest that people see what they are inclined to see, and then feel free to freely share those opinions with others. But it's not constructive, and not always very accurate.

Let's just agree to disagree, and if we want to continue the discussion, let's leave these little jabs out of it, OK?

Much love!

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
How nice!

What's your point? I'm a fool? Is this what you are trying to say?

No.

I've notice that you discuss things very often at a much better level than many do…

I’ve been formally educated in theology (and civil engineering).

… however, really? Unicorns?

The trinitarian I alluded to was KJVO. If you’re looking for unicorns we’ll find them in KJV. Are you telling me that you weren’t aware of that?

You know, I did see a mermaid once! They ARE out there, you know! Tom Hanks met one!

Much love!

I was speaking about the Bible, not a movie.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You didn’t answer my question about the saviors Yahweh sent. Maybe that is your commentary on the question- silence.
If you didn't "see" my answer, try asking a different way . . .

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The trinitarian I alluded to was KJVO. If you’re looking for unicorns we’ll find them in KJV. Are you telling me that you weren’t aware of that?
Are you telling me you weren't painting me in a certain light?

Let's be real, can we?

Yes, I know about the single-horns in the Bible. What's your point? Do you think they weren't real? Is there a credibility issue?

"He died believing in unicorns"

Right-o.

Much love!

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
No, you actually don't know.

That’s why I said I didn’t know and told you what impression you’re giving.
But I'm not here to promote myself, nor discuss myself.

The only details about you which I’m aware of are those which you’ve publicly made me and your readers aware of.

And your impressions are exactly that, and - just maybe - are influenced by your intent.

My intent is to engage you in conversation.

I suggest that people see what they are inclined to see, and then feel free to freely share those opinions with others. But it's not constructive, and not always very accurate.

Okay.

Let's just agree to disagree, and if we want to continue the discussion, let's leave these little jabs out of it, OK?

Much love!

I’m interested in people, not jabs.

Reactions: marks
Status
Not open for further replies.