Does one need to study the bible?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I posted in another conversation with this... If you are walking with the Lord, truly walking with Him, you will make a monumental effort to be sinless. You'll recognize that tug from the Holy Spirit that tells you Noooooo. I can imagine it is possible to become sinless if you in fact put the effort into it. I find myself biting my tongue when ill words want out or casting out ill thoughts. But I still stumble. I am working on it though.

Johnlove

Jul 1, 2014
Wilson, NC
Born_Again said:
I posted in another conversation with this... If you are walking with the Lord, truly walking with Him, you will make a monumental effort to be sinless. You'll recognize that tug from the Holy Spirit that tells you Noooooo. I can imagine it is possible to become sinless if you in fact put the effort into it. I find myself biting my tongue when ill words want out or casting out ill thoughts. But I still stumble. I am working on it though.
[SIZE=16pt]There is no effort on my part to not sin. I gave my life to Jesus and have allowed his will to be my will. Jesus will is for me to never sin. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]Jesus caries my burden, and all I do is as he tells me to do. It is God’s Work that keeps me free from Satan/sin.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]This is what Paul was telling people that one’s work will not earn him or her heaven. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]It is God’s work in him or her that makes it so one can enter into the kingdom of God.[/SIZE]

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Johnlove said:
What does that have to do with if one needs to read a bible or not?
Does your opinion of how I do my Job, help the discussion?
Jesus tells me I am doing as he wants me to do, and his opinion is the only one that matters to me.
How do you know it is Jesus the Christ you are listening to, especially when he tells you not to read the revealed word of God?

Perhaps this one teaching you teaches contrary to the Scriptures.

Johnlove

Jul 1, 2014
Wilson, NC
justaname said:
How do you know it is Jesus the Christ you are listening to, especially when he tells you not to read the revealed word of God?
[SIZE=16pt]Where did I ever say not to read the bible? I say one does not need to study the bible.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]Jesus told me many years ago to get more into the written Word of God.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]How do I know it is Jesus speaking to me you ask? There are many ways. The most important way is observing the fruit produced from the grace and guidance that Jesus has given me.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]I am able to live God’s Word. That includes not sinning ever. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]I have been given different gifts of the Holy Spirit, and have had Jesus do miracles, healings, and take care of me for forty years. [/SIZE]

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Johnlove said:
Where did I ever say not to read the bible? I say one does not need to study the bible.

Jesus told me many years ago to get more into the written Word of God.

How do I know it is Jesus speaking to me you ask? There are many ways. The most important way is observing the fruit produced from the grace and guidance that Jesus has given me.

I am able to live God’s Word. That includes not sinning ever.

I have been given different gifts of the Holy Spirit, and have had Jesus do miracles, healings, and take care of me for forty years.

The Holy Spirit began to teach me. Then Jesus called me into his ministry. After accepting Jesus call I asked him what seminary to attend. Jesus told me: “NO! Don’t read about me I will teach you about me.”

This is your quote...
Also I have witnessed your sin in your postings on this forum.

Johnlove

Jul 1, 2014
Wilson, NC
justaname said:
The Holy Spirit began to teach me. Then Jesus called me into his ministry. After accepting Jesus call I asked him what seminary to attend. Jesus told me: “NO! Don’t read about me I will teach you about me.”

This is your quote...
Also I have witnessed your sin in your postings on this forum.
[SIZE=16pt]Did that say read the bible? The bible is the written Word of God, and reading the bible is not reading about Jesus, it is reading God’s Word.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]Jesus was telling me that he did not want me to read what other people said about him.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]The seminaries are all about what other men believe about God. And what other men believe the written Word of God is telling us.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]Jesus wants me to let him tell me about him.[/SIZE]

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay here is another quote by you...

Study the bible after God starts to teach him or her. No I don’t believe one needs to do that. God will have one read or do what he or she needs to do to come to know God.
If the Holy Spirit wants one to have a great knowledge of the written Word of God, then he will bring a person to that knowledge.

Sometimes not admitting something you said or believe is considered lying.

Johnlove

Jul 1, 2014
Wilson, NC
justaname said:
Okay here is another quote by you...

Study the bible after God starts to teach him or her. No I don’t believe one needs to do that. God will have one read or do what he or she needs to do to come to know God.
If the Holy Spirit wants one to have a great knowledge of the written Word of God, then he will bring a person to that knowledge.

Sometimes not admitting something you said or believe is considered lying.
[SIZE=16pt]Again did I say not to read the bible? I say one who is being taught by the Holy Spirit/Jesus does not need to read the bible.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]People went without reading the bible for hundreds of years after Jesus. First there was no bible, and then because most people could not even read.[/SIZE]

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And here you said Jesus told you not to read the Bible specifically...all the other posts are inferences

My first year of God personally teaching me, Jesus did not have me read the bible. If the bible was read at all, it was to just confirm what Jesus was teaching me.

Johnlove

Jul 1, 2014
Wilson, NC
justaname said:
And here you said Jesus told you not to read the Bible specifically...all the other posts are inferences

My first year of God personally teaching me, Jesus did not have me read the bible. If the bible was read at all, it was to just confirm what Jesus was teaching me.
[SIZE=16pt]Well Jesus did not for the first year of his personally teaching me need me to read the bible much.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]I was a Catholic, and was not in the habit of reading the bible. The bible was read to us at Mass, and at the time it was enough.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]I knew it was Jesus teaching me, and knew enough of the written Word to know what I was being taught was not in disagreement with the bible.[/SIZE]

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Johnlove said:
Well Jesus did not for the first year of his personally teaching me need me to read the bible much.
I was a Catholic, and was not in the habit of reading the bible. The bible was read to us at Mass, and at the time it was enough.
I knew it was Jesus teaching me, and knew enough of the written Word to know what I was being taught was not in disagreement with the bible.
So what you are telling me is because what was being taught to you agreed with the Bible, you knew it was proper teaching.

Then though according to your OP you say one does not need to read the Bible.

If you used the Bible as the measure of what was being taught to you why would you say others need not to use the same measure?

I do agree salvation does not require one to read the Bible, yet I will say reading the Bible should rather be encouraged as opposed to suppressed.

Johnlove

Jul 1, 2014
Wilson, NC
justaname said:
So what you are telling me is because what was being taught to you agreed with the Bible, you knew it was proper teaching.

Then though according to your OP you say one does not need to read the Bible.

If you used the Bible as the measure of what was being taught to you why would you say others need not to use the same measure?

I do agree salvation does not require one to read the Bible, yet I will say reading the Bible should rather be encouraged as opposed to suppressed.
[SIZE=16pt]No you need to go back and read why I knew it was Jesus teaching me.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]All I shared was that knowing what I was being taught agreed with scripture, was another way of my knowing it is Jesus teaching me.[/SIZE]

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ok, Johnlove. Do you have anything else to contribute to this board other than your personal conversations with Jesus, your sinlessness and how that makes you better than everyone else? Because you have made that message loud and clear. Can we move on now?

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Circular reasoning...convoluted teachings...the depths men will go to maintain their false security.

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wow!!! Up until now, we went two days with no discussion on this one!!! For those who partcicpated, well done to everyone!! It gave us all some good reading for a while there and I learned a few things along the way!!! Sad to see this thread go but it is definately it's time.

Axehead

May 9, 2012
Psa_119:11 Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.

Rom_15:4 For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope.

Johnlove

Jul 1, 2014
Wilson, NC
cristianprince67 said:
I'm reading the bible right now, because I can tell there's a powerful energy coming from the book. It's awesome.
[SIZE=16pt]Tell me something where is this powerful energy coming from?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]How do you know? [/SIZE]

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John, please take care. He is a brand new Christian. He does not have the knowledge base to argue with you.

Johnlove

Jul 1, 2014
Wilson, NC
Born_Again said:
John, please take care. He is a brand new Christian. He does not have the knowledge base to argue with you.
[SIZE=16pt]Good then he or she may be open to the truth. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]He or she may see that learning to know God from a book or man is impossible. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]He or she just may go and ask God to give him or her the Holy Spirit, and let the Holy Spirit to bring him or her to know God.[/SIZE]