Does the day of Christ resurrection tell us to worship on Sunday?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
straw man, and you know it. Reply to the points made in QTs post.

cc: @quietthinker

No it isn't. It is to show you in the simplest terms you'll understand that when a covenant is fulfilled, the sign ends. When Jesus, the Seed, died and the New Covenant came into being, circumcision was no longer of the FLESH, but of the Spirit. It is the same with the sign of physical rest of our body of FLESH. When the covenant ended at the same time as the Abrahamic covenant ended, the fleshly sign of physical rest became of the Spirit. God's rest. Jesus was always the unseen substance of the Sabbath. Jesus was concealed all throughout the Old Testament (our schoolmaster), and revealed in the New Testament. By you mocking against 'Jesus is our rest,' that is scary.

Even the Ten Commandments are of the flesh. Murder, stealing, adultery. Rather than the Spirit - hate, selfishness, lust. The first are the commandments of the Father, and the latter are the commandments of the Spirit. Read the sermon on the Mount to see how Jesus deepened the superficial commandments of the Father.

John 15:10
10 If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love.

When you keep the commandments of Jesus, you automatically keep the commandments of the Father, including the spiritual substance of the Sabbath. The commandments are meant to save. How can you have a set of commandments without the Savior? It was there in the flesh of the Sabbath. Now look at the New Covenant commandments.

1 John 3:21-24
21 Beloved, if our heart does not condemn us, we have confidence toward God. 22 And whatever we ask we receive from Him, because we keep His commandments and do those things that are pleasing in His sight. 23 And this is His commandment: that we should believe on the name of His Son Jesus Christ and love one another, as He gave us commandment.

24 Now he who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. And by this we know that He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us.

Adventists have be misappropriating the apostle John's use of the word 'commandments' and superimposing them onto the Ten Commandments. Don't forget John wrote Revelation also. I see Adventists quoting John all the time, and just shake my head.

BTW, Sunday is a day of celebration, not law, for if Jesus had just died, but never rose again, we would have no hope of our own resurrections. It is considered the 8th day, the day of new beginnings.

Last edited:
B

brakelite

Mmm. Even with all that said, you have still failed utterly to justify the replacement of a commandment with a tradition. The truth is there are only 8 mentions in all of NT scripture for the first day of the week.
5 of the 8 reference the resurrection.
Another a request for aid.
Another for a combined lunch and Paul preaching before traveling.
And the final when the apostles were cowering together afraid to show their faces outside.
Now which one of these says that the commandment is now abrogated?

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. Exodus 20:4
I suppose your assessment would say the above text is asinine as well.
No - just YOUR understanding of it is.
How about posting it in its entire context??

Exod. 20:3-6
You shall not have other gods beside me. You shall not make for yourself an idol or a likeness of anything in the heavens above or on the earth below or in the waters beneath the earth; you shall not bow down before them or serve them. For I, the LORD, your God, am a jealous God, inflicting punishment for their ancestors’ wickedness on the children of those who hate me, down to the third and fourth generation; but showing love down to the thousandth generation of those who love me and keep my commandments.

This is NOT about the creation of images - but the WORSHIP of them.
Later on - God commands Moses to create TWO GOLDEN CHERUBIM and place them atop the Ark (Exod. 25:18).
He again commands Moses to create a BRONZE SERPENT and place it on a pole so that those who gazed upon it would be healed (Num. 21:9).

God would NOT forbid something - then break His OWN Commandment.

Now - lets's talk about that license picture of you in your wallet - or all of those photos you have of you and your loved ones at home.
Are YOU breaking God's Commandment against images - or do you understand that it is about WORSHIPING them??

Reactions: Marymog

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Self-righteous prig. Oh, who said that? I must have been hearing things.
Ummmm, what's a "prig"??

By the way - you weren't hearing things. I wasn't responding to YOU . . .

Last edited:

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mmm. Even with all that said, you have still failed utterly to justify the replacement of a commandment with a tradition. The truth is there are only 8 mentions in all of NT scripture for the first day of the week.
Another a request for aid.
Another for a combined lunch and Paul preaching before traveling.
And the final when the apostles were cowering together afraid to show their faces outside.
Now which one of these says that the commandment is now abrogated?

Zip! Right over your head.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Ummmmm, for your information, Einstein - that quote from Jefferson was written to Benjamin Rush (9/23/1800) - NOT the Pope.

TRY to stay honest . . .

I'll try to stay honest and admit I wrote very badly. I actually did not know to whom Jefferson wrote <that quote> and still don't care, because what I honestly wanted to write was to remind the reader of the irony, that the first thing the president of the young America did, was to write the pope a letter begging him of all people for recognition of the new state while it was he and his Roman Catholic church who for many centuries tyrannised the mind of men and swore eternal hostility against every form of free thinking or free speech or protest or independence, and was the prime and sole cause that so many oppressed and persecuted fled from their fatherland to the new world.

Reactions: brakelite

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
No thats why when we come to Christ Gods sends His Spirit.

You mean when God sends His Spirit is when we come to Christ... Which can be perfectly true both ways true and false. True is, When God sends His Spirit is when we come to Christ and we cannot resist. False is, When God sends His Spirit is when we come to Christ and God cannot resist.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa

but that's the biggest nonsense! There is not one reference to the resurrection on the First Day of the week in all the Bible even in your only language, English. Or rather, was, because since the previous century you will find inference to Jesus' Resurrection in at least ONE Scripture in the whole Bible.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Are we still obligated to circumcise our male boys at 8 days old to be a Christian? It was the sign of the Abrahamic covenant.
CL...you know there is no obligation however, if you wanna trim young Jim, I've got no objections but while we're speaking trimming, keep that blade well away from young Bernadette!

Reactions: CharismaticLady

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
cc: @quietthinker

No it isn't. It is to show you in the simplest terms you'll understand that when a covenant is fulfilled, the sign ends. When Jesus, the Seed, died and the New Covenant came into being, circumcision was no longer of the FLESH, but of the Spirit. It is the same with the sign of physical rest of our body of FLESH. When the covenant ended at the same time as the Abrahamic covenant ended, the fleshly sign of physical rest became of the Spirit. God's rest. Jesus was always the unseen substance of the Sabbath. Jesus was concealed all throughout the Old Testament (our schoolmaster), and revealed in the New Testament. By you mocking against 'Jesus is our rest,' that is scary.

Even the Ten Commandments are of the flesh. Murder, stealing, adultery. Rather than the Spirit - hate, selfishness, lust. The first are the commandments of the Father, and the latter are the commandments of the Spirit. Read the sermon on the Mount to see how Jesus deepened the superficial commandments of the Father.

John 15:10
10 If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love.

When you keep the commandments of Jesus, you automatically keep the commandments of the Father, including the spiritual substance of the Sabbath. The commandments are meant to save. How can you have a set of commandments without the Savior? It was there in the flesh of the Sabbath. Now look at the New Covenant commandments.

1 John 3:21-24
21 Beloved, if our heart does not condemn us, we have confidence toward God. 22 And whatever we ask we receive from Him, because we keep His commandments and do those things that are pleasing in His sight. 23 And this is His commandment: that we should believe on the name of His Son Jesus Christ and love one another, as He gave us commandment.

24 Now he who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. And by this we know that He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us.

Adventists have be misappropriating the apostle John's use of the word 'commandments' and superimposing them onto the Ten Commandments. Don't forget John wrote Revelation also. I see Adventists quoting John all the time, and just shake my head.

BTW, Sunday is a day of celebration, not law, for if Jesus had just died, but never rose again, we would have no hope of our own resurrections. It is considered the 8th day, the day of new beginnings.

And he said unto them, Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition. Mark 7:9

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
No - just YOUR understanding of it is.
How about posting it in its entire context??

Exod. 20:3-6
You shall not have other gods beside me. You shall not make for yourself an idol or a likeness of anything in the heavens above or on the earth below or in the waters beneath the earth; you shall not bow down before them or serve them. For I, the LORD, your God, am a jealous God, inflicting punishment for their ancestors’ wickedness on the children of those who hate me, down to the third and fourth generation; but showing love down to the thousandth generation of those who love me and keep my commandments.

This is NOT about the creation of images - but the WORSHIP of them.
Later on - God commands Moses to create TWO GOLDEN CHERUBIM and place them atop the Ark (Exod. 25:18).
He again commands Moses to create a BRONZE SERPENT and place it on a pole so that those who gazed upon it would be healed (Num. 21:9).

God would NOT forbid something - then break His OWN Commandment.

Now - lets's talk about that license picture of you in your wallet - or all of those photos you have of you and your loved ones at home.
Are YOU breaking God's Commandment against images - or do you understand that it is about WORSHIPING them??
Now that's a clever way of negating God's Commandment.....the responsibility rests with you.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
hmmmm....perhaps you were privy to other conversations God had with Adam as they communed?
well lets see,

there where no other people that he could steal from
there was no one for him to murder
he had no neighbours so he had no mans wife to covett

i could go on

unless you know of something that only u are privvy 2.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You do know He's talking to Pharisees still under the law, but are hypocrites.
Jesus is speaking to all who superimpose their traditions on Gods Law and so negate it. How is it that this is not obvious even though he is addressing the Pharisee's?.....you know, the respected religious teachers.
By the way, any practice that insists on tradition in preference to God's Law is by its very nature hypocritical.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
well lets see,

there where no other people that he could steal from
there was no one for him to murder
he had no neighbours so he had no mans wife to covett

i could go on

unless you know of something that only u are privvy 2.
yes, you could go on and invent any matter of scenarios plainly ignoring that the wages of sin is death and sin is transgression of the Law.

I guess in order to make your position work you have to redefine Sin as well as God's Law which not surprisingly is what the system your allegiance is to is doing and it is making much progress.
None of this is secret, in fact, scripture foretold all this. Yes, the wine of Babylon is being drunk by the nations.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
yes, you could go on and invent any matter of scenarios plainly ignoring that the wages of sin is death and sin is transgression of the Law.
Was it not Moses that gave the law, so how could it be that sin could be transgression of the law before the law was implemented??

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus is speaking to all who superimpose their traditions on Gods Law and so negate it. How is it that this is not obvious even though he is addressing the Pharisee's?.....you know, the respected religious teachers.
By the way, any practice that insists on tradition in preference to God's Law is by its very nature hypocritical.

I understand that and I agree, which is why I do not respect the "holy traditions" of our longest current denomination. Fairy tales are not Scripture.

But when I was an Adventist we honored Christ's birth on December 25, knowing that date was only a tradition. So you may think keeping the Old Covenant and its sign is good, but that is your tradition, seeing as the New Covenant replaced it, and has a new sign.

B

brakelite

Zip! Right over your head.
I guess so. Or could my resting , faith in, trust in and surrender to/ in Christ be delivering me grace that enables... As in

KJV Romans 8
2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.
3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:
4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

If the above doesn't mean literal obedience to God commandments, then to what purpose did Christ come when the angel said, name Him Jesus because He shall save people from sin? What is sin? Unrighteousness. What is victory over sin if not obedience? Righteousness? Of course. And what is righteousness unless it be in harmony with God's laws?
Over my head? Maybe. Perhaps God has minimised His standards to meet our fallen
condition. I like to think though that He has changed us to meet with His standards. Perhaps I'm wrong.