Does the day of Christ resurrection tell us to worship on Sunday?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
But those in Romans 7 were UNDER the law. They still had the carnal nature of sin. If Jesus frees us from sin, then the deeper laws are written on your heart, and you have a completely different nature. Not one that sins and needs Commandments to show them.

If Jesus frees us from sin,

...we are saved, that is, saved from eternal death. If Jesus freed us from sin—which He did—we must still die our due death in order to be raised in the Resurrection of Life at his Coming Again. The end-goal is to be raised in the Resurrection of Life.
Even though Christ died for us God’s end-goal is NOT for us to stay in death (the Roman Catholic and false perception of salvation), but to rise up and live Eternal Life abundantly even now.

Nowhere is that made clearer than in “Feast-of-Sabbath remaining for the People of God”— “remaining .. because Jesus gave them Rest”. In fact, had, given them Rest – Himself – since He resurrected from the dead so that "God rested from all his works on the Seventh Day He thus concerning, had spoken”—, had spoken throughout time and history “in times past, through the prophets”, and, “in these Last Days, BY THE SON”.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
No I have told you the truth, you dont Keep the law, you may work at it, but you will always fail at it, so to say you do makes you a liar, and so you have sinned and broken the law. so keep at it and trample Gods grace underfoot as so many choose to do. There are none perfect and I certainly am not perfect, and no, you never needed an excuse to sin so you dont need one now.
mjrhealth....your handle I'm assuming is an abbreviation of major health?? Health does not thank God for his perfect sacrifice ie, Jesus keeping God's Law for us only to give permission to us to break it while appealing to his grace. Doing this is devious and self deceptive and anything but healthy....God will not be fooled by such brazenness.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
yes, thats right....Now, reading Romans 7 is that the confession of one who loves darkness?....I don't think so

That is a Jew that has knowledge of the Law, but is trying to keep it with their carnal nature, and without the Spirit. From chapter one this teaching is leading up to chapter 8.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
mjrhealth....your handle I'm assuming is an abbreviation of major health?? Health does not thank God for his perfect sacrifice ie, Jesus keeping God's Law for us only to give permission to us to break it while appealing to his grace. Doing this is devious and self deceptive and anything but healthy....God will not be fooled by such brazenness.
Hmm so now its all the stops, does the truth offend you that much, should I lay some more down before you.

Joh 1:17 For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.

do you remember what God said in the OT.

Deu_30:19 I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live:

so why is it you choose death.

Rom 7:9 For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died.
Rom 7:10 And the commandment, which was ordained to life, I found to be unto death.

and again,
the law was given to the Israelites, there husband was the law till Christ,

Rom_7:2 For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband.
Rom_7:3 So then if, while her husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead, she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man.
Rom_7:4 Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God.

but you, who is "supposed " to be the bride of Christ, His betrothed, have chosen the husband of another woman, the law, do you know what that makes you, when you are being prepared for one husband but join yourself to another?? A harlot, and an Adultress, you know that bit thou shalt not commit adultry.

As for perfect sacrifice. are you wiling to slap Christ in the face as you do to please your flesh and boast of your works.

Gal_2:21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

as for keeping the law you do not, is there another one ,

thou shalt not bear false witness, lying

see 2 already and we only just started.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
That is a Jew that has knowledge of the Law, but is trying to keep it with their carnal nature, and without the Spirit. From chapter one this teaching is leading up to chapter 8.
Paul is talking of himself in the present tense

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I'm sorry you cannot see my point. You make charges totally unfounded and it is all because you do not see. You turn the scripture to say what it is not saying by deliberately misunderstanding its intent so that it shores up your misconception.

The same situation applied with Jesus and the religious leaders of his day....they chose not to see because it didn't suit their agenda. their pride ensured they had their reward already.

I am done trying to clarify the matter to one who chooses to misrepresent the scripture.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I'm sorry you cannot see my point. You make charges totally unfounded and it is all because you do not see. You turn the scripture to say what it is not saying by deliberately misunderstanding its intent so that it shores up your misconception.

The same situation applied with Jesus and the religious leaders of his day....they chose not to see because it didn't suit their agenda. their pride ensured they had their reward already.

I am done trying to clarify the matter to one who chooses to misrepresent the scripture.
Misrepresent Scripture, what was it Christ5 said of the religious and the pharisees,

Mat 23:2 Saying, The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat:
Mat 23:3 All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not.
Mat 23:4 For they bind heavy burdens and grievous to be borne, and lay them on men's shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with one of their fingers.
Mat 23:5 But all their works they do for to be seen of men: they make broad their phylacteries, and enlarge the borders of their garments,

all you "law keepers", sound just like this man

Luk 18:10 Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican.
Luk 18:11 The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.
Luk 18:12 I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.
Luk 18:13 And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.
Luk 18:14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

we know who was the one that was justified.

God bless

The wind

Oct 17, 2019
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Early Christians continued to pray and rest on the seventh day, and observe the Sabbath. But apostasy began to creep in the church, especially at Rome and by the 2nd century AD you start to find were some began to hold both, and soon a number of Christians affected by the spreading apostasy were observing only Sunday and not the Sabbath.

Take a look...https://www.christianitytoday.com/hi...turday-to.html
Notice they don't know why but just throw out "because the Resurrection and the beginning of Creation had both occurred on the first day of the week" But at Creation it was the seventh day that was made sanctified and made holy and clearly Christ rested on the Sabbath and then came up on Sunday.

This was the first idea that was spread around to find a way to set aside or disregard the Sabbath, and set another day. So did Christ rise and tell the Disciples something that was not in scripture or was it written down and somehow got lost, God doesnt work that way. Now people began to say 'I keep Sunday in honor of the Resurrection' or that they were told that the Apostles began keeping Sunday as the day of worship after the resurrection for a variety of reasons, but did they. No, the early church clearly kept the Sabbath.

So is there any chance the resurrection somehow cause a change to the day of worship? Well, worship is the reason for the Sabbath and it is the only day God ever gave us to worship Him on. That which God gives us is the truth and we are to believe it and obey it, especially when its straight from His Word. It tells us, "Sanctify them through Thy truth: Thy Word is truth."John 17:17 and we read, "Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit."1 Peter 1:22.

It is not safe to refuse obedience to the obvious truths of God’s Word. "He that turneth away his ear from hearing the law, even his prayer shall be abomination." Proverbs 28:9.

So what does the clear Word of God tell us when men come up with changes to what God has given us, or bring in tradition which go against Gods Law. "We ought to obey God rather than men." Acts 5:29.

So does the resurrection change the day of the Sabbath, well the problem is that God never told anyone to keep Sunday in honor of the resurrection of Christ, or for any other reason. Lets go over them and see...

All the commandments are in the new testament. If there are some that sound like the law of Moses, they are not if they are commanded in the new testament.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
All the commandments are in the new testament. If there are some that sound like the law of Moses, they are not if they are commanded in the new testament.
There was only one Christ ever gave us

Joh 13:34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.
Joh 13:35 By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.
ie
Mat 22:37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
Mat 22:38 This is the first and great commandment.
Mat 22:39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
Mat 22:40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Love overrides everything.

B

brakelite

Love overrides everything.
You won't find a scripture saying that though huh. But you will find this...
KJV Romans 13
8 Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.
9 For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
10 Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

That expression, briefly comprehended, doesn't mean the law is overruled by love, but rather it means the keeping and honouring of the law is accomplished by love. If you are loving, them you are keeping Jesus commandments, including the ones He gave to Moses on those stone tablets. And as John said,
KJV 1 John 5
2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments.
3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.
4 For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
So you believe Paul is saying he is not free from the law of sin and death?
I am saying he sees the weakness in his own flesh which is perishing and gives thanks that in Jesus there is no condemnation. Does this give him licence to ignore the Ten C's?....certainly not.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am saying he sees the weakness in his own flesh which is perishing and gives thanks that in Jesus there is no condemnation. Does this give him licence to ignore the Ten C's?....certainly not.

You didn't read Romans 8:1-9 very well. His "weakness" in Romans 7 was BEFORE receiving the empowering Spirit. It is the Spirit that frees us from SIN, that was the need for the law in the first place. This is why we are not under the law. We no longer have to deal with the flesh as long as we walk in the Spirit. The Spirit keeps the moral laws alive in our hearts and we have no desire to break them.

The righteous requirements of the law are kept through the Spirit. That is the result of what Christ did and is our New Covenant, with a new sign of the covenant. The covenant is based on the blood of Jesus, thus the sign of our New Covenant is the Cup of the New Covenant 1 Corinthians 11:25. The laws of the New Covenant make the Old Covenant with its sign of its covenant, the Sabbath, null and void.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You didn't read Romans 8:1-9 very well. His "weakness" in Romans 7 was BEFORE receiving the empowering Spirit. It is the Spirit that frees us from SIN, that was the need for the law in the first place. This is why we are not under the law. We no longer have to deal with the flesh as long as we walk in the Spirit. The Spirit keeps the moral laws alive in our hearts and we have no desire to break them.

The righteous requirements of the law are kept through the Spirit. That is the result of what Christ did and is our New Covenant, with a new sign of the covenant. The covenant is based on the blood of Jesus, thus the sign of our New Covenant is the Cup of the New Covenant 1 Corinthians 11:25. The laws of the New Covenant make the Old Covenant with its sign of its covenant, the Sabbath, null and void.
It sounds a muddled CL.

Do you now have no propensity to sin now that you have the spirit and the moral law is in your heart? Do you not sin at all?....

If both of your answers are no to these questions then surely there is a muddle and you are out of step with John in his first letter 1 John 1:8.
If your answers are yes, there is self deception disabling your vision.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You won't find a scripture saying that though huh. But you will find this...
KJV Romans 13
8 Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.
9 For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
10 Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

That expression, briefly comprehended, doesn't mean the law is overruled by love, but rather it means the keeping and honouring of the law is accomplished by love. If you are loving, them you are keeping Jesus commandments, including the ones He gave to Moses on those stone tablets. And as John said,
KJV 1 John 5
2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments.
3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.
4 For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.
Why am I not surprised, just surprised it took you so long. I was rather bemused the other day, when you gave me a like when i mention something about, just another religion like all the other religions, and your religion is just the same as all the others. And ever religion has there thing that they add to salvation that keeps men in captivity and makes them slaves of there religion, the very same reason i knew that other lady was SDA though she said she left. You can take a person out of religion, its hard to get religion out of the person.

1Co 6:15 Know ye not that your bodies are the members of Christ? shall I then take the members of Christ, and make them the members of an harlot? God forbid.
1Co 6:16 What? know ye not that he which is joined to an harlot is one body? for two, saith he, shall be one flesh.
1Co 6:17 But he that is joined unto the Lord is one spirit.

You know that women the mother of all harlots. You dont keep the law no matter how much you boast and seek to condemn the rest of the world, for as Jesus put it.

Mat 23:2 Saying, The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat:
Mat 23:3 All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not.
Mat 23:4 For they bind heavy burdens and grievous to be borne, and lay them on men's shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with one of their fingers.
Mat 23:5 But all their works they do for to be seen of men: they make broad their phylacteries, and enlarge the borders of their garments,

and I shall repeat again,

that why all you law keepers sound just like this man

Luk 18:10 Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican.
Luk 18:11 The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.
Luk 18:12 I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.
Luk 18:13 And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.
Luk 18:14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

you should listen to yourself. As for Christ all He ever asked us to do is

Joh 13:34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.
Joh 13:35 By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

and for commandments

Joh 1:15 John bare witness of him, and cried, saying, This was he of whom I spake, He that cometh after me is preferred before me: for he was before me.
Joh 1:16 And of his fulness have all we received, and grace for grace.
Joh 1:17 For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.

but you will never leave egypt just like the Israelites when Moses went to set them free

Exo_17:3 And the people thirsted there for water; and the people murmured against Moses, and said, Wherefore is this that thou hast brought us up out of Egypt, to kill us and our children and our cattle with thirst?

Jesus came to set the captives free, but still there they remain in captivity with there religions.

Exo_9:1 Then the LORD said unto Moses, Go in unto Pharaoh, and tell him, Thus saith the LORD God of the Hebrews, Let my people go, that they may serve me.

so few willing to leave to much "self".

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It sounds a muddled CL.

Do you now have no propensity to sin now that you have the spirit and the moral law is in your heart? Do you not sin at all?....

If both of your answers are no to these questions then surely there is a muddle and you are out of step with John in his first letter 1 John 1:8.
If your answers are yes, there is self deception disabling your vision.

Because of Adam, since birth everyone has sinned before they come to Christ and the person in 1 John 1:8 believes they don't sin, and in verse 10 they believe they've never sinned. John is saying that to become a Christian they need to confess their sin to be cleansed of ALL UNRIGHTEOUSNESS. Once cleansed, are you still a sinner? Are you still dirty? No. Then you become a child of God. 1 John 3:1; John 8:34-36. 1 John 3:5 "For He was manifest to take away our sin, and in Him there is no sin." John is talking here about willful sins of lawlessness.

What trespasses we will make unwittingly (Leviticus 5:15) after that are cleansed by His blood as long as we walk in the Spirit and forgive others their trespasses against us. Matthew 6:14-15; 1 John 1:7.

Last edited: