Does the "husband of one wife" requirement mean that polygamy was common in the early church?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It means, to not have been divorced..

Consider just for a second, that everyone has broken all the commandments, in deed or thought or word.
That includes , everyone., other than Jesus.

So, this verse is speaking not about "head sinning", but about being married more than once, in real life.
Its a initial disqualification. = Pastor., Bishop, Elder.

The verse also disqualifies a woman from becoming a "Pastor", as a woman can't be "" the HUSBAND of one wife.."""

Lesbian PASTORS..... would argue that verse with you, but, dont listen to them.... and dont go to their Church.

Are you okay? I'm referring to where you are located in Israel. I thought of you when it happened. BTW, are you Jewish? I love Jews.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Helpful information concerning topic for those who enjoy study.

View attachment 37557
Is your avatar you? It reminded me of a painting of Jesus I did.. I'll see if I can get the picture to post. It worked! Now looking at your avatar and then my painting, I see I need to raise His shoulders.

Attachments

• The Greatest Gift 1.jpg
    The Greatest Gift 1.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
  • Wow
Reactions: MatthewG

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
a Man, is to be rejected for the position of "elder" (Pastor), if he is divorced.

There are other offices he can perform, however.
I know scripturally a priest had to marry a virgin, not even a widow unless she was widowed from another priest. And, of course, not a divorced woman.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
I know scripturally a priest had to marry a virgin, not even a widow unless she was widowed from another priest. And, of course, not a divorced woman.

Well, in the NT, there are some requirements for the "top job".
One is "married once". and being a "Husband" is another.

In todays world, the "Gay" community has changed "husband" into an idea that isn't biblical and isn't moral.

There is another Forum that has a Lesbian Pastor on it who is not fond of Paul, and we've talked a lot on that forum about this "husband of one wife".. disqualification.

We are not allowed to discuss "Gay stuff", on that one, so, this protects her, and others there.

Its impossible for a woman to be the "husband of one wife", so, there is your disqualification that denies "women as pastors".

That seems to be the only NT church office that isn't allowed to be occupied by a woman.

Im not a Catholic, but i have studied the lives, somewhat, of some Catholic Saints, and some were women, and some of them are very impressive believers... like these 2, i'll name below.

Some of their theology is the worst sort of "cult of Mary", but, there is no denying that these 2 women had the Divine touch of God on them, exactly as St Francis had it on him.

Hildegard of Bingen

Jeanne Guyon

And you could make a case for Joan of Arc.

The thing is...God is a God of order, and as the Man is the "head of the wife" as "Christ is the head of the Church"... you have a out of order situation, if the woman becomes the Pastor of the Church.

This is '2023 and the bible is forgotten, and God's Grace as the Cross of Christ... is not preached or understood by most Believers../ . so.. in these end times, we see a lot of Ladies playing the boss role in their denomination.

Reactions: amigo de christo

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who would ever want polygamy? As if one husband isn't enough.:ummm::watching and waiting::jest:

ebe6f9ce05a40c655df2b97970455f07.jpg

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is your avatar you? It reminded me of a painting of Jesus I did.. I'll see if I can get the picture to post. It worked! Now looking at your avatar and then my painting, I see I need to raise His shoulders.

Yes, that is me in the profile picture, 1stcenturylady. That is a impressive painting! Makes me desire to get back into it. Thank you for sharing with me. :)

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not sure about the blue eyes.
He's middle-eastern, right?

And the beard has a modern trim.
Could they, or would they, do that in the first century?

Other than that, nicely done.

/

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not sure about the blue eyes.
He's middle-eastern, right?

And the beard has a modern trim.
Could they, or would they, do that in the first century?

Other than that, nicely done.

/
I painted three paintings. One of them is with brown eyes, and this one I painted blue eye. Josephus and others like Pilate gave a description of Him in their writings. One said he had golden hair and blue eyes. Another said he had gray eyes. Another said grayish blue. No one said he had brown or black eyes.

Reactions: St. SteVen

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I painted three paintings. One of them is with brown eyes, and this one I painted blue eye. Josephus and others like Pilate gave a description of Him in their writings. One said he had golden hair and blue eyes. Another said he had gray eyes. Another said grayish blue. No one said he had brown or black eyes.
I remember hearing criticisms of Renaissance painters making him look Caucasian, when he was actually middle-eastern.

/

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I remember hearing criticisms of Renaissance painters making him look Caucasian, when he was actually middle-eastern.

/
It is probably because of these writings that also said his skin was like wheat. After all he had blond hair. He had some other races in his gene pool. Maybe Rahab was blonde.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The husband of one wife . yes in those days there was still some men who had serveral wives .
Notice only he who had ONE wife was allowed to lead , . the pattern was being set up .
The pattern which also said THE HUSBAND , meaning male . That be the pattern .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The husband of one wife . yes in those days there was still some men who had serveral wives .
Notice only he who had ONE wife was allowed to lead , . the pattern was being set up .
The pattern which also said THE HUSBAND , meaning male . That be the pattern .
So, since there was no prohibition of polygamy in the church, is it a sin?

/

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1701177319299.png
Let us take care to remember this the next time a church justifies other religoins and homosexuality
while condemning those who wont justify this sin and this huge broad way to GOD lie .
This is what happens when folks sit under the wrong love and not rather the love that cometh of GOD .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
a Man, is to be rejected for the position of "elder" (Pastor), if he is divorced.

There are other offices he can perform, however.
So this would exclude half of the apostles and of course Paul.

Not going to buy into this concept of a lack of forgiveness on God's part.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But following joseph smith IS SIN . always remember that .
Maybe he was right on the issue of polygamy.
There is no biblical prohibition of it that I am aware of.
You either, apparently.

None for slavery either. But that's another subject.

/

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Maybe he was right on the issue of polygamy.
There is no biblical prohibition of it that I am aware of.
You either, apparently.

None for slavery either. But that's another subject.

/
Moses, Law Giver, had two wives himself.

So did David, Jehosephat, and most all of the Kings of Israel.

And where we tend to have a Westernized society that perceives plural marriages as something distasteful....Roman culture often had "Consorts " or girlfriends for the upper middle class. A consort was a regularly accepted position in the hierarchy of Roman Society. It wasn't looked down upon or considered low class as it in today's society. These consorts regularly relied upon their boyfriends for economic support. Some lived elsewhere but most lived in the same house with their boyfriends and their wives.

Paul referred to these consorts as wives as a backhanded slap against the Roman culture that looked at Jewish culture with disdain for their polygamy.