Does the "husband of one wife" requirement mean that polygamy was common in the early church?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is what happens when people discount the authority of the Word of God. And these tainted ideologies are exactly why I don't belong to a "church" ....as in a group in a building. And I do not advise any new believer to become linked up with any of today's churches .....especially not survivors of SRA/MK. Today's churches are too much like the satanic cult. And no wonder .....many of them are one and the same. "Christian" by day, satanists by night.... but always satanists.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: St. SteVen

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And consider this..... before the fall, there was no marriage. (Oh boy! Don't read too much into that.) But marriage ceremonies and contracts weren't a thing until after the fall. But God still set the precedence ....one man, one woman.
Again, are we projecting our current day standards on scripture?
Do we see any objection to the common social system in NT times in the church?
The "man of one wife" requirement seemed to have more to do with
who was best qualified in terms of available time for the ministry.

/

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God is the same yesterday, today, and forever. It doesn't matter what time we are in ....modern day, or 5,000 years ago ....God has not changed.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is what happens when people discount the authority of the Word of God. And these tainted ideologies are exactly why I don't belong to a "church" ....as in a group in a building. And I do not advise any new believer to become linked up with any of today's churches .....especially not survivors of SRA/MK. Today's churches are too much like the satanic cult. And no wonder .....many of them are one and the same. "Christian" by day, satanists by night.... but always satanists.
Seriously?
What is the Body of Christ to you?
A bunch of dismembered parts in autonomy?

You talk about the design of marriage. What about God's design for the church?
Did God intend for us to all be isolated, or to all be together?

Acts 2:46-47 NIV
Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts.
They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts,
47 praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people.
And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved.

/

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
St. SteVen said:
God is the same yesterday, today, and forever. It doesn't matter what time we are in ....modern day, or 5,000 years ago ....God has not changed.
Seriously?
Where is the outrage against the social norms of the day in the NT scriptures?

/

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
St. SteVen said:

Seriously?
Where is the outrage against the social norms of the day in the NT scriptures?

/
Told you so!
Everyone wants to argue about legitimate reasons for divorce and what constitutes adultery.

The truth is that Jesus instituted a New Covenant....one without codified law for a reason. And people are forever trying to nail jello to the wall so they can get around it. But they can't for A REASON. There is therefore now NO CONDEMNATION for those of us in Christ Jesus. And when Paul said this it was the understatement of the Century.

Why people marry or have plural wives is between them and God. Same as those who divorce and/or get remarried. But people for some reason want to browbeat others or look down their nose at others as if they are more righteous than snow covered dung themselves.

Dunno but it's the human condition. If I was God (and I'm glad I'm not) I wouldn't put up with it. Woulda been done with the lot of humans a LONG time ago.

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Seriously?
What is the Body of Christ to you?
A bunch of dismembered parts in autonomy?

You talk about the design of marriage. What about God's design for the church?
Did God intend for us to all be isolated, or to all be together?
The body of Christ is not synonymous with a group of people gathering in a building calling themselves "Christians" while discounting the authority of God's Word, and twisting scripture to fit their modern philosophies and lusts.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Told you so!
Everyone wants to argue about legitimate reasons for divorce and what constitutes adultery.
Seems like a legitimate issue to discuss to me.
But what do I know. I've been married to my first wife for 44 years.

/

• Love
Reactions: JohnDB

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The body of Christ is not synonymous with a group of people gathering in a building calling themselves "Christians" while discounting the authority of God's Word, and twisting scripture to fit their modern philosophies and lusts.
Well. it appears that is what it is. What do you suggest? Disbanding the Body of Christ?

/

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The "man of one wife" requirement seemed to have more to do with
who was best qualified in terms of available time for the ministry.
Or how about interpreting scripture with scripture? Just maybe it means exactly what it says.

Genesis 2:24

[24]Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.

Ephesians 5:31-32
[31]For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh.
[32]This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Or how about interpreting scripture with scripture? Just maybe it means exactly what it says.

[24]Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.

[31]For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh.
If it means exactly what it ways, then women in leadership is off the table.
Do you believe that?

Have you seen this?

/

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well. it appears that is what it is. What do you suggest? Disbanding the Body of Christ?

/
The body of Christ can't be disbanded. Jesus prayed for our unity, that we would be one as He and His Father are one.

Btw, even Jesus has laid the foundations for marriage as being between one man and one woman.

Matthew 19:4-6

[4]And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female,
[5]And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?

[6]Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I agree that a marriage relationship is one flesh.
The historic cultural situation of polygamy or "consorts" does not undo that.
These other relations are added to the original one.
Scripture does not forbid it.

/

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If it means exactly what it ways, then women in leadership is off the table.
Do you believe that?
I believe scripture as it interprets scripture. God says maidens and women can prophesy (which involves using their mouths in a group of believers) ....and there are many examples of women leading house churches, which Paul himself attended. Scripture should be taken in context, and not singled out and twisted. All scripture fits together. We've already seen a thousand debates on this. And this thread isn't about women in ministry or authority. Deborah was given a place by God which was in authority over men .....take that into account when you think about singling out scriptures to mean what it doesn't mean.

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

/
That is your opinion. Go ahead ....get yourself some sex slaves and more wives than your current wife and then try to convince her that you actually love her. And then you'll stand before God.

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Seems like a legitimate issue to discuss to me.
But what do I know. I've been married to my first wife for 44 years.

/
Your first wife? You are planning to have more, aren't you?

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

/
Scripture doesn't ordain it. And yet, Jesus Himself laid out the design. Why add to it? Because you take His Word loosely?

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your first wife? You are planning to have more, aren't you?
Do you have a habit of falsely accusing others of sin or are you just treating this brother special?

He was looking for information about this subject to understand it some more because in our modern times the concept of polygamy is really foreign to our culture. And if all you really have is false accusations and condemnation....what does that say about you as a person?

And if by some chance WW3 breaks out...we might have to visit some of the "old world" practices once again if we are to have a chance at surviving as a race of people.

Just saying....

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It means, to not have been divorced..

Consider just for a second, that everyone has broken all the commandments, in deed or thought or word.
That includes , everyone., other than Jesus.

So, this verse is speaking not about "head sinning", but about being married more than once, in real life.
Its a initial disqualification. = Pastor., Bishop, Elder.

The verse also disqualifies a woman from becoming a "Pastor", as a woman can't be "" the HUSBAND of one wife.."""

Lesbian PASTORS..... would argue that verse with you, but, dont listen to them.... and dont go to their Church.

When a man lusts after a married woman that does not mean "to not have been divorced." Did you read the post I was answering?

Last edited: