Does the "husband of one wife" requirement mean that polygamy was common in the early church?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You're a tough customer. - LOL

/
It's tough to buy, what some of the things are you selling friend! All in love, thank you for bringing up this discussion. I believe it's a good one, especially for the younger generation to not run and try to go marry or have sex with every beautiful woman they see. Same goes for the women who see a hunk-a-hunk man or whatever women see in men they find so attractive. (Lol.)

Helpful information below if you would like to go to the original post to see the image (loads of scripture for those who enjoy study on this subject.)

Reactions: TLHKAJ

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So ....some of you men here seem to advocate the idea of men taking sex slaves. Am I right?

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
LOL
Obviously, that's NOT what I meant.
Do I need to clarify?

/
Why can't it go both ways? What's good for the man is good for the woman.

Clarify if you want to ....

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So ....some of you men here seem to advocate the idea of men taking sex slaves. Am I right?
Not me.
But it was common in biblical times.
An understanding which helps us to better understand the scriptures.

/

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But you believe scripture advocates or allows for it..... ? (I disagree.)
Well, it doesn't speak against it. That's all I am saying.
That, and that it was present, obviously.
Which helps us to understand what was written.

/

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's between you and God.
Help me to understand the female perspective, if you would.
I want to know.

/
God's original design was one man and one woman. Polygamy came after the fall. Sin brings people away from God's design. Polygamy is not a product of love. It is a product of brokenness and lust ....and it genders strife, division, and confusion.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I like the way, Paul puts how marriage should be handled in a way that is good for both people, @St. SteVen.

22 Wives, obey your husbands as you obey the Lord.

23 The husband is the head of the wife, just as Christ is the head of the church people. The church is his body and he saved it.

24 Wives should obey their husbands in everything, just as the church people obey Christ.

25 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church people. He gave his life for the church.

26 He did that so that he might make the church people holy, when they were washed with water by God's word.

27 He gave his life for the church so that one day he can look at the church and see that the people are great and wonderful. The people of the church must have no dirty spot or wrinkle or any thing like that. But they are to be holy and good.

28 So husbands should love their wives as they love their own bodies. The man who loves his wife loves himself.

29 No one ever hated his own body. But he feeds it and takes care of it.

30 In the same way Christ takes care of the church because we are parts of his body.

31 The holy writings say `For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother. He shall be joined to his wife, and the two of them shall be like one person.'

32 This is a wonderful plan of God. I am speaking here of the plan about Christ and the church people.

33 However, each one of you should love his wife as he loves himself. And the wife should respect her husband.

I believe these things are important for both husband and wife to adhere to. Respecting both of each other, and allowing each other to have freedom, however to put God first, and to put each first before one another as difficult as that can be. However with God it is possible if one desires to be in a relationship but also put him into the picture, is the most wonderful thing a husband and wife could ever do in my opinion.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God's original design was one man and one woman. Polygamy came after the fall. Sin brings people away from God's design. Polygamy is not a product of love. It is a product of brokenness and lust ....and it genders strife, division, and confusion.
Thank you. Do you think this view is common among women?
Or is it primarily your view?

/

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

/

What does it help with to understand about scripture when polygamy was around in NT? The people in Jerusalem themselves, committed polygamy with Yahava, by going to other gods and idols which still exist today.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Polygamy came after the fall.
Pretty much everything came after the Fall.
Even Christ came after the Fall.
Not sure we can use that to gauge what is right and wrong.

There were reasons for polygamy. Even political reasons.

/

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

/
In the OT, after the fall, many things came about that were not according to God's original design.

Scripture actually does give us the perfect design God intends.

Genesis 2:24
[24]Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.

Ephesians 5:31-32
[31]For this cause shall a
man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh.
[32]This is
a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church.

One man, one woman.... and they two shall be one flesh ....from the Old Testament to the New, it's the same.

Reactions: St. SteVen

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God's original design was one man and one woman. ... Sin brings people away from God's design.
I'm familiar with that position.
Wondering if it is more of a symbol for a relationship with God, than a model for human sexuality.
God called going after idols as adultery.

/

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you. Do you think this view is common among women?
Or is it primarily your view?

/
Every woman I've known and actually, men who are devout and studious in scripture, and devoted to their families.... have expressed these same scriptural beliefs.

Reactions: St. SteVen

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In the OT, after the fall, many things came about that were not according to God's original design.
Are you claiming that polygamy did not exist in ancient times? Even in the church?
Why the requirement for "a man of one wife"? (for elder)

/

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Every woman I've known and actually, men who are devout and studious in scripture, and devoted to their families.... have expressed these same scriptural beliefs.
I'm familiar with the tribal echo chamber.

/

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm familiar with that position.
Wondering if it is more of a symbol for a relationship with God, than a model for human sexuality.
God called going after idols as adultery.

/
The family is after the image of God. It confirms it. It doesn't lessen it's value ....it actually places even more value on the design.

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you claiming that polygamy did not exist in ancient times? Even in the church?
Why the requirement for "a man of one wife"? (for elder)

/
I didn't say that. I said ....before the fall, and after the fall. Did God create Adam and Eve, Ava, Evelyn, Bonnie, Deborah, and Cheryl?? lol

No, He didn't. He created one man, Adam ....and one woman, Eve. And He set the precedence. Even after the flood, God started with 4 men and each of them had one wife.

And consider this..... before the fall, there was no marriage. (Oh boy! Don't read too much into that.) But marriage ceremonies and contracts weren't a thing until after the fall. But God still set the precedence ....one man, one woman.